Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Gold Edition or Final Fantasy 14?

2»

Comments

• WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
    I just  tried FF14 free trial and I jsut cannot get into it. It just feels cluttered and the combat system i do not like. I hate there is no free trial of ESO. I shouldnt have to buy an MMO without trying it first.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Wedlen said:
    I just  tried FF14 free trial and I jsut cannot get into it. It just feels cluttered and the combat system i do not like. I hate there is no free trial of ESO. I shouldnt have to buy an MMO without trying it first.
    well, guess you will have to move on to something else then that lets you try it first. to me the price to try it is very reasonable, you can get ESO right now for less than $15 on G2A.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I'd say ESO Gold. I own both and I think ESO is clearly the better one of the two. Where FFXIV has 99% of 'kill 10 rats' quests (in all possible ways disguised), ESO also uses quite a lot of other quest mechanics (still around 90% 'Kill 10 rats' though). Also, the monthly subscription from FFXIV vs B2P of ESO is one of the things I'd say ESO is the big winner.

The only thing where FFXIV excels over ESO is the job system and with that the crafting system. Note on the job system though that when you pick your 4th class, the grind for levels might become real bad because of the lack of quests (unless you want to grind the guild leves).
    I am from Canada so prices are all about 45% more than U.S. So i cant get the game for 15 i can ge the game for $45 minimum. Steam has it for $80
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    FFXIV:ARR, personally i found the class choices/abilities in ESO too restrictive and not all that user friendly, its very much a FOTM type of game, choose a unique build and you can pretty much nerf yourself into oblivion, plus i didn't like the magic system in ESO, in FFXIV:ARR, you can be any class you want, and the magic using classes are very well thought out, even then, there aren't any real restrictions you can have a character that can switch between melee, magic or ranged even combat classes, the same with crafting, which, in FFXIV:ARR has imo, more depth than you find in ESO, but it depends on what you want, ESO has PVP, so if you are PVP focused, then ESO is probably your best option, if not, FFXIV:ARR does focus on cooperative game play, and i have found that the community in the game is nothing less than awesome, finding a free company isn't hard and the adventure in FFXIV:ARR is far superior to what you can find in ESO, perhaps this is because FFXIV:ARR is more focused on being a PVE game, what PVP there is, is pretty much 'tacked on'.
    There is also the storyline in FFXIV:ARR its ongoing and engaging, perhaps this is because FFXIV:ARR is a subscription game, whereas ESO is B2P, you get what you pay for in the end, but this also means you can pick up both games fairly easily, i have both ESO and FFXIV:ARR, though honestly while i would like to spend more time in FFXIV:ARR, i have little to no desire to play ESO, which i found to be a lacklustre game with some glaring flaws, particularly in how characters are 'built' and especially in the magical combat, but as in anything people have different likes and dislikes, so YMMV.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    ESO, because I can't stand the art style of FFXIV.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    It is unfortunate that the initial impression of FFXIV is not very encouraging . The game takes time to blossom which is a pity for anyone seeking an answer quickly.

baphamet said:
    Wedlen said:
    well, guess you will have to move on to something else then that lets you try it first. to me the price to try it is very reasonable, you can get ESO right now for less than $15 on G2A.

There are significant risks associated with buying things through G2A however, so i personally would avoid doing so like the plague, there are plenty of better, as in 'more legit' online retailers to buy the game from.
    Nyctelios said:
    baphamet said:
    Wedlen said:

G2A is a scam site that make indie devs shut door due exploitation on credit card charge backs.

Please, don't do that, don't recommend or use it.
    On the subject of G2A, TB just put out a youtube vid on the deal between G2A and Gearbox, enlightening, sure, that it might improve or expose G2A's business practices, almost definitely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cac0ACHux-Q
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Honestly they are both shit.

ESO is probably best MMO now that is not WoW. But its as boring, bland and trite as it gets. The combat has no feel to it. The zones are so cramped they feel like no world at all. It feels just like it has no soul. And it surely does not manage to make you feel immersed.

FF is well Japanese. If you like that sort of thing, than maybe its better.

If you ask me. Give LOTRO a go. Its probably last MMO that still feels like world. And its quite free to try. So why not

• MykelMarkMykelMark Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Honestly they are both shit.

ESO is probably best MMO now that is not WoW. But its as boring, bland and trite as it gets. The combat has no feel to it. The zones are so cramped they feel like no world at all. It feels just like it has no soul. And it surely does not manage to make you feel immersed.

FF is well Japanese. If you like that sort of thing, than maybe its better.

If you ask me. Give LOTRO a go. Its probably last MMO that still feels like world. And its quite free to try. So why not
    What does that even mean? Don't give advice to those if you haven't had experience in the game.
  • PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    kitarad said:
    It is unfortunate that the initial impression of FFXIV is not very encouraging . The game takes time to blossom which is a pity for anyone seeking an answer quickly.
    Prior to One Tamriel I would have said ESO.  While there appear to be many positives to the zone level scaling technology; I hates it.  Your enemies are always on par with you...not stronger, not weaker.  It totally eliminates all of the effort put into the quests and stories that work to make you feel like the hero.  How much of a hero do you feel like when you run back through the starting zone to find that the "bunnies" leveled up just as much as you did?  It's downright dull/bland to always have the same level of challenge and has lead me to lose motivation to continue playing.

Let's face it, the gaming community in NA/Europe does not consist of the same mindset as gamers in Japan.  NA/Europeans jump jobs every few years while the Japanese practically get married to their first employer and often give their life to their job, literally.

Attention deficit and impatience runs rampant in the NA/European gaming communities.  The Japanese have much more dedication and loyalty to single things/concepts.  They are all about quality over quantity and that seeps into every interaction including gaming ones.  I'm all for efficiency gains and process improvement but not for the sake of speed to completion.

FFXIV is like a really good novel.  If you want to read the first couple paragraphs and expect to know whether the book is good...you're just going to have to read it to the end and find out for yourself.  If you want cliff notes...then you're better off with a different title.

The communities are also widely different.  Spend 15 mins reading General Chat.  ESO's will be filled with Barrens like chatter focused on everything but the game.  Requests for help will often be ignored or the requester will be chastised for being a nub. FFXIV general chat is less busy and revolves around the game.  People with questions will often receive several answers along with several whispers/tells with answers and offers for additional help.

ESO is an easier game to both pick up and master.  It's much more of a single player challenge while FFXIV places more emphasis on group/raid challenge.

People are saying ESO is B2P, but ZOS also offers a sub model allowing for the "renting" of DLC until your sub runs out.  Some prefer that model as you pay to play rather than buy a DLC that you may/may not fully experience.  Plus the inventory management in ESO is horrific and made incredibly better by the Craft Bag that comes as part of the subscription.

And on PvP...I'm done trying to find balanced/fair PvP in PvE MMOs.  After nearly 20 years as a player, I'm convinced that like oil and water the two cannot exist in harmony.  It's like the spork: not a good fork and not a good spoon.  Now I look for stellar PvE design/content in my MMO and seek balanced/fair PvP in the MOBA genre.  Two games with each focused on what it wants to be best at.
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Wedlen said:
    I am from Canada so prices are all about 45% more than U.S. So i cant get the game for 15 i can ge the game for $45 minimum. Steam has it for $80

G2A prices are under $20 Canadian $ for basic non-gold, under $26 for Imperial (non-gold) or under $32 for the Gold Edition. Digital keys so no postage. https://www.g2a.com/?search=elder scrolls online

However there is also a list of "authorised sellers" in the ESO forum - its a sticky.

There are occasional free trials but you will have to wait. Until then try a different game.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited April 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    baphamet said:
    Wedlen said:

G2A is a scam site that make indie devs shut door due exploitation on credit card charge backs.

Please, don't do that, don't recommend or use it.
    i appreciate you asking nicely but i have had nothing but good experiences with them and since i do what i want, i'm going to have to say sorry but no.

that wasn't the point of my post anyways, you can go anywhere and get it under $20.
    so ive been playing ff14 trial and the combat system feels so sluggish and slow. I play GW2 ALOT and that combat system is quick and probably the best there is. Ill keep trying. I like the environment. I don't like Japanese anime type games though. Im pretty much comparing things to GW2 unfortunately. gw2 im bored of and dont like the skill system they used. Why cant there just be a game that has perfected everything. Efficient and fast combat and spells. Unique spells and fully customizable builds. Large amounts of classes and professions and races. Many unique and legendary etc items. Lots of loot. No game really has all this.  Huge open lush environment. Great story with voice. They are all missing one or 2 things.
    edited April 2017
    This is hilarious! Greenmangaming which ive been folowing just put Elder Scrolls online Gold edition on sale 60% off for $20.57 which is about $30 Canadian. So ill buy it now! Thast 2 games ive been following and wanting to buy for a couple months that went on sale today. The other game is Squad game on steam for 50% off today lol. Love it.
    So ive been playing ESO excuslively for the past couple days. I am sstill very new o the game. MY thoughts...

The community is terrible. Jsut a bunch of non helpful people. Loaded with spamming trash talkers. I am horribly dissapointed in this. Worse than WoW. I expected it to be more helpful than GW2 but its not at all. I couldnt get help with the simpliest of questions. They would rather trash talk and swear in chat. Pathetic and such a turn off.

Secondly, the game seems very big which is good and im not sure how much ive even seen yet since i jsut started a few days ago. 

The worlds seems pretty nice and the story and voice acting is great. Much better than the cheesy voice acting of GW2 anyways and the non voice of FF14.

Armor in the game looks prettty dumb. I rarely see a nice armor and its only with high levels. MOS peopel have these dumb looking armors that don't match at all. I am one of them.

Weapons and staffs etc dull so far. Just plan sticks or some hunk of dull metal.

That's all i have for now. I am disappointed in ways but do enjyo it anyways so far. We will see how long before i get bored. 

One thing that is kid of annoying but still good at the same time is. The amount of quests are ALOT but they keep building up as you run into peopel while doing another quest. You have like 10 quests going at the same time and it gets to be a bit much.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Wedlen said:
    So ive been playing ESO excuslively for the past couple days. I am sstill very new o the game. MY thoughts...

The community is terrible. Jsut a bunch of non helpful people. Loaded with spamming trash talkers. I am horribly dissapointed in this. Worse than WoW. I expected it to be more helpful than GW2 but its not at all. I couldnt get help with the simpliest of questions. They would rather trash talk and swear in chat. Pathetic and such a turn off.

Secondly, the game seems very big which is good and im not sure how much ive even seen yet since i jsut started a few days ago. 

The worlds seems pretty nice and the story and voice acting is great. Much better than the cheesy voice acting of GW2 anyways and the non voice of FF14.

Armor in the game looks prettty dumb. I rarely see a nice armor and its only with high levels. MOS peopel have these dumb looking armors that don't match at all. I am one of them.

Weapons and staffs etc dull so far. Just plan sticks or some hunk of dull metal.

That's all i have for now. I am disappointed in ways but do enjyo it anyways so far. We will see how long before i get bored. 

One thing that is kid of annoying but still good at the same time is. The amount of quests are ALOT but they keep building up as you run into peopel while doing another quest. You have like 10 quests going at the same time and it gets to be a bit much.
    That's weird, for me its been one of the best communities around. I even had people on the forums offering me daedra hearts (was a rare material for crafting) back in the day when I couldn't figure out where they were.

Btw, if you are into crafting (which is actually worth doing in ESO) you can make good looking gear right from the get go:
    http://eso.mmo-fashion.com/aldmeri-dominion-iron/