Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop for kid going to a summer school university type thing.

HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
I'm guessing at the very most $200? Refurbished is ok..any suggestions?

Comments

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    edited April 2017
    Aori said:
    How old is said kid? This like a summer camp or whats the deal? What is he doing with the machine? If you're worried of theft, breakage or loss then go with the cheapest thing you can find that will fulfill what is needed, we have no idea what the purpose of this machine is for unless you tell us.
    15 .  No its advanced courses not summer school ect..  He is smart basically and the classes are at a university over the summer.  She just wants something cheap but good.  I know quizzical and others helped me out many times so this is the first place I thought of to ask.  Doesnt really need to do anything specific.  Notes. Work. Online.  Not gaming..  he stays at Western for the whole week. Then comes home on the weekends.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited April 2017
    At that price range your best option is buying a Chromebook. They are designed to be cheap and lightweight laptops with good battery life. It's ideal solution for $200 budget:
      https://www.newegg.com/Chromebooks/SubCategory/ID-3220

A Chromebook doesn't run normal Windows programs, so if your school is requesting computer check that they don't have any requirements about specific program before purchasing. But if there are no specific requirements you can use both Office Online and Google Docs, and there are plenty enough apps available for a normal student.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Whatever is on sale at Best Buy or Costco - really. In that price range,  you get what you get, and there isn't a lot of being picky about it. Can get a decent enough laptop for around that range so long as  you aren't too particular about it. It won't set any speed records, and it'll be flimsy plastic with a washed out screen, but it'll run software.

Chromebook isn't a bad option, so long as they have constant internet and they don't need Windows/MS Office for anything.