So I was playing ESO - captured this screenshot.

Comments

• GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,042
    I should give ESO another go. Sure, it's much too loose for me(I prefer guided approach of SWTOR), but I haven't got anything better to play as is. Should I?
    sumdumguy1
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 5,707
    I wish more games had the play any weapon factor.  Not as efficient but much more fun.

"Change is the only constant."

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,530
    Gorwe said:
    I should give ESO another go. Sure, it's much too loose for me(I prefer guided approach of SWTOR), but I haven't got anything better to play as is. Should I?
    The story line is quite "guided" if you follow it. You'll get new quests regularly for it.
    YashaXGorwe
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I hate the combat system in this game. It doesn't feel right I can't explain it. 
    BellaHSovrathsumdumguy1
  • skadadskadad VMember UncommonPosts: 182
    Wedlen said:
    I hate the combat system in this game. It doesn't feel right I can't explain it. 
    animation-cancelling blows goats also imo
    BellaHYashaX
    edited October 6
    Gorwe said:
    The story line is quite "guided" if you follow it. You'll get new quests regularly for it.

Thank you. After I secure my SWTOR characters, I'll give it a shot. Truly this time. I mean, there isn't any other MMO I even could think of playing, so why not?
    Wedlen said:

Yeah, I experienced the inverse version of this with Dark Souls III. I like it so much, but I'm not certain why. Something with colors and aesthetics etc. Quite irrational.

Post edited by Gorwe on
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Phry said:
    Golelorn said:
    Viper482 said:
    Honestly wish I could get into this game. I love TES, love MMO's....but this game just doesn't grab me at all.
    ... character customization is just so horribly bland.
    Can't be serious. There's more character development variations possible in this game than in most if not all other class based theme parks.
    While there is a certain amount of truth in that, the reality to me seems to be that choice of weapons to use and race has more impact/meaning than the 'class' chosen as its likely that only one or two abilities will really be all that useful, so you end up choosing between swords, 1handed or 2 handed, bows, or magical staff combat, the rest is pretty much akin to traits, they allow for a certain amount of 'variation' but i wouldn't say they were all that significant compared to weapon choices which is where the real 'class' determination seems to be made. :/
    That's so not true.

Your character build depends on so many factors - weapons used, stat point distribution, skills used, mundus stone chosen, which gear combination(s) used (mixing light/med/heavy, set-bonuses), what traits applied... and so on.

There are so many ways you can play any given Class, it's overwhelming. Take Sorcerer.. You can play a Stamina-based Sorc or a Magic-based sorc. Within either of those two approaches, there are numerous builds to try, based on different applications of the above-mentioned options available. It's not a case where, like in many (most?) other MMOs, options are pointless 'cause there's only one or two "viable builds". A number of builds can be viable in ESO.

For example, here's just two examples of how you could build a Stamina-based Sorcerer... from the same person.
    Windwalker
    Deathstroke

That's just two options out of many for one approach (stamina) to one class. There's plenty more options out there as well.

In ESO, your class choice is where your character's options *begin*... unlike other titles where it's the end-definition of what it will become.

There's simply no way a person can say with a straight-face that character build/customization is "bland", unless they're either really good at dead-pan humor, or they have no idea how ESO actually is and are talking out their rears. Though, I'm finding a lot of the criticism leveled at ESO is either people being blatantly dishonest, clinging to "how the game was at launch" as though it's still the same now, or just going on what they've heard others say.

YashaXJean-Luc_Picard
  • GaxusnGaxusn Manchester, UK.Member UncommonPosts: 76
    edited October 6
    I've just bought Morrowind for PS4, being delivered tomorrow. Not played in a long time, which was on PC, so hoping for a better experience this time around.

I enjoyed it previously, but never got 'hooked'... here's hoping. 

I do agree the game gets a lot of negativity and I don't understand why. Maybe because it's a step away from the normal WoW/EQ2/SWTOR/Rift etc... who knows.

Definitely not a bad game by any means.

@ OP: I like the screenshot, looks cool :smile:

Post edited by Gaxusn on

Playing: Nothing
    Played: EQ1, EQ2, VG:SoH, WoW, AoC, LoTRO, Aion, L2, DF, WAR.
    Favourites: EQ1, VG:SoH, Original WoW.
    Waiting: Pantheon: ROTF

• KajidourdenKajidourden Panama City, FLMember RarePosts: 1,422
    edited October 6
    Phry said:
    Golelorn said:
    Viper482 said:
    Honestly wish I could get into this game. I love TES, love MMO's....but this game just doesn't grab me at all.
    ... character customization is just so horribly bland.
    Can't be serious. There's more character development variations possible in this game than in most if not all other class based theme parks.
    While there is a certain amount of truth in that, the reality to me seems to be that choice of weapons to use and race has more impact/meaning than the 'class' chosen as its likely that only one or two abilities will really be all that useful, so you end up choosing between swords, 1handed or 2 handed, bows, or magical staff combat, the rest is pretty much akin to traits, they allow for a certain amount of 'variation' but i wouldn't say they were all that significant compared to weapon choices which is where the real 'class' determination seems to be made. :/
    That's so not true.

Your character build depends on so many factors - weapons used, stat point distribution, skills used, mundus stone chosen, which gear combination(s) used (mixing light/med/heavy, set-bonuses), what traits applied... and so on.

There are so many ways you can play any given Class, it's overwhelming. Take Sorcerer.. You can play a Stamina-based Sorc or a Magic-based sorc. Within either of those two approaches, there are numerous builds to try, based on different applications of the above-mentioned options available. It's not a case where, like in many (most?) other MMOs, options are pointless 'cause there's only one or two "viable builds". A number of builds can be viable in ESO.

For example, here's just two examples of how you could build a Stamina-based Sorcerer... from the same person.
    Windwalker
    Deathstroke

That's just two options out of many for one approach (stamina) to one class. There's plenty more options out there as well.

In ESO, your class choice is where your character's options *begin*... unlike other titles where it's the end-definition of what it will become.

There's simply no way a person can say with a straight-face that character build/customization is "bland", unless they're either really good at dead-pan humor, or they have no idea how ESO actually is and are talking out their rears. Though, I'm finding a lot of the criticism leveled at ESO is either people being blatantly dishonest, clinging to "how the game was at launch" as though it's still the same now, or just going on what they've heard others say.

Hahahahaha, let me list the ways you are incorrect.

Stamina DPS= Dual Wield/Bow
    Tank= Sword and board
    Healing= Resto staff
    Magicka DPS= Destro staff and/or Dual Wield depending on how zenimax is messing with passives.

Anything else is gimp.

They let you think you have choices, but their meta is so much of a runaway train that running anything else is just plain stupid.

I LOVE every single other aspect of ESO, but the customization is laughable because of a lack of viable alternatives.
    Post edited by Kajidourden on
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox NottinghamMember UncommonPosts: 858
    Please stop bumping this thread, its months old ._.
    PhryTheScavenger

imageimage

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 A galaxy far far awayMember UncommonPosts: 1,137
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:

Thank you. After I secure my SWTOR characters, I'll give it a shot. Truly this time. I mean, there isn't any other MMO I even could think of playing, so why not?
    Wedlen said:

Yeah, I experienced the inverse version of this with Dark Souls III. I like it so much, but I'm not certain why. Something with colors and aesthetics etc. Quite irrational.

I went back a few months ago.  I couldn't make it past a week and a few days.  The combat is not good and the story felt convoluted to me.   This game just doesn't work for me like the others I play. 
  • MyrradahMyrradah Portland, ORMember UncommonPosts: 75
    I quit ESO. I did animation canceling and learned how to do it and got very good with it. But its not a feature it is broke and Zenimax took the easy way out and said it was a feature. Lame..fix it.
    YashaX
    edited October 6
    What kind of character would work for main story? I figured, sorry for Dark Souls spiel, some kind of Hexes + weapons. Nightblade? Melee Sorc? How'd you even end in Coldharbor? Be as it may, my favorite has to be Dunmer 2H Sword DK. But I don't really think it fits main story. Maybe for Morrowind.
    Post edited by Gorwe on
  • shassellshassell leicesterMember UncommonPosts: 76
    Quit also. Played for a long time from release but due to work commitments I gave it a break for awhile. When I returned I found that it had changed completely to level scaling. On the plus side it gives a player a challenge anywhere but for me it killed the game. Mat drops for crafting now all level based, no point in travelling anymore. Mobs all the same bland level scaled borefest... no point in travelling or exploring. As all the mobs scale to your level, there is no point in levelling except to get to endgame content, which is now the entire focus of the game. Gear grind pointless boring generic pap. 
  • drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALMember RarePosts: 1,980
    edited October 6
    Yeah, it reminds me of the book covers from forgotten realms and raven loft that I have read over the decades.  :)
    Post edited by drivendawn on
    TaishiFox said:
    Please stop bumping this thread, its months old ._.
    You do realize what you just did there, right?

You do also realize what you could have done instead, right?

I hope the answer to both questions is 'yes'.

Phry
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 9,908

Tank= Sword and board
    Healing= Resto staff
    Magicka DPS= Destro staff and/or Dual Wield depending on how zenimax is messing with passives.

Anything else is gimp.

Well that's what min-maxers will do in every game they play lol. For them I think it's better to not give them the ability to build their own. Classes with strict separations probably seem like more variety for them.... go figure.
    QuarterStackGdemami
    When you come to a fork on the road, take it.
    You can observe a lot by just watching.
    No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded.

-- Yogi --
    edited October 6

Tank= Sword and board
    Healing= Resto staff

Anything else is gimp.

They let you think you have choices, but their meta is so much of a runaway train that running anything else is just plain stupid.

I LOVE every single other aspect of ESO, but the customization is laughable because of a lack of viable alternatives.
    So, here's my dilemma after reading that.

I can't decide if you're being disingenuous, are short-sighted, not very knowledgable about ESO, or just trolling. Each part of your post leaves a different impression, so maybe it's a little of each.

At the very least, I would hope you realize that a build in ESO is significantly more than "what weapon am I using?". Right?

Suffice it to say, your list there is amusingly over-simplified, in a number of ways.

Post edited by QuarterStack on
    YashaXGdemamipostlarval
    Iselin said:

Tank= Sword and board
    Healing= Resto staff

Anything else is gimp.

Well that's what min-maxers will do in every game they play lol. For them I think it's better to not give them the ability to build their own. Classes with strict separations probably seem like more variety for them.... go figure.
    Good point, that, as well!

One thing many Min-Maxers have in common, is they can't comprehend that not everyone obsesses over numbers the way they do as the "be-all end-all" of MMO gaming. Had a friend in RL who was like that with FFXI. He never could understand how I could possibly enjoy the game if I wasn't playing it "optimally",  keeping up with the latest "ultimate build guide du-jour".
    SovrathGdemami
    edited October 6
    Iselin said:

Tank= Sword and board
    Healing= Resto staff

Anything else is gimp.

Except in most games it's a 10-15% increase, not a 200fucking% increase in performance.

50k+ DPS vs 20 at best with a sub-optimal build.  Sorry but that's not "min-max" that's stupid vs performing well.

There is an OUTRAGOEUS disparity between meta and non-meta builds in ESO, you cannot deny that unless you just have blinders on.
    Post edited by Kajidourden on
  • AlomarAlomar Middle EarthMember RarePosts: 880
    Just spent my last hour of ESO out of 2,867 hours in July. The game's got real potential for any ES fan, casual pve'ers, and rp'ers to be your mmo home. Yet, for any hardcore player the game's content and direction isn't aimed at you, so you'll need long breaks. After years of being an ESO hardcore pvper I've finally called it a quits after seeing 90%+ of the NA PC pvp community leave before me. WTB Elder Scrolls 6.
    Kajidourden
    Fortes Fortuna Iuvat

18 year MMO veteran 
    Retired PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red

• YashaXYashaX Baldurs GateMember RarePosts: 1,941
    Gorwe said:
    What kind of character would work for main story? I figured, sorry for Dark Souls spiel, some kind of Hexes + weapons. Nightblade? Melee Sorc? How'd you even end in Coldharbor? Be as it may, my favorite has to be Dunmer 2H Sword DK. But I don't really think it fits main story. Maybe for Morrowind.
    I think any character with decent aoe and survivability works well. 2H DK would be perfect, but basically anything except a stealthy single target focused NB would probably be OK.
    GdemamiGorwe
    YashaX said:
    Gorwe said:
    I think any character with decent aoe and survivability works well. 2H DK would be perfect, but basically anything except a stealthy single target focused NB would probably be OK.
    What Yasha said, just about anything will work for overworld content.  In instanced content (non-vet) you will be carried easily enough, in vet content you will be unable to complete objectives/survive, PARTICULARLY the newest DLC dungeons on vet which are always the hardest.
    Gdemami
    YashaX said:
    Gorwe said:
    I meant more thematically. Like in "who's most likely to end up in Coldharbor". To me, the answer simply has to be either a Sorc or a NB. If we ignore the starting area(CH), then anything works.
  • cheyanecheyane EarthMember EpicPosts: 4,787
    edited October 7
    I should play this game again now that my video card has been upgraded (touch wood). I don't want it to read this  shhh...shhh it might decide to act up.

I am however playing Everquest again on Project 1999 and as you all know you need to spend an inordinate amount of time to progress in Everquest so other games are off the table for now.
    Post edited by cheyane on