So I was playing ESO - captured this screenshot.

Comments

• TokkenTokken Portland, ORMember UncommonPosts: 1,514
    wow, Nice pix
    Warriors are like steel, when you lose your temper you lose your worth.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,531
    edited September 3
    Torval said:
    shava said:
    But this engine leans heavily on java...
    Err what?
    Yeah, that is a bit of a surprise to me if true. Then again Secret World, and maybe other FC games, use ActionScript in the UI. You can tell too. It's one of the things that annoy me most about playing the game. Weird quirk I know. :lol:
    WoW uses LUA and it has never been a problem.
    The main code is still in C++.

Here's another one:

Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
    SlyLoKGaxusn
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 9,911
    Torval said:
    shava said:
    But this engine leans heavily on java...
    Err what?
    Yeah, that is a bit of a surprise to me if true. Then again Secret World, and maybe other FC games, use ActionScript in the UI. You can tell too. It's one of the things that annoy me most about playing the game. Weird quirk I know. :lol:
    WoW uses LUA and it has never been a problem.
    The main code is still in C++.

I think the difference is that ESO uses LUA also for some of its core functions not just for UI add-ons.
    When you come to a fork on the road, take it.
    You can observe a lot by just watching.
    No one goes there nowadays, it's too crowded.

-- Yogi --
  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 12,975
    More ESO screenshots from guild contest:

sources:  imgur | the thread link
    1 and 5 are ok but that is just terrain stuff,in a 3d live world it should be showcasing architecture and of course lighting but almost impossible to absorb lighting in a picture.I draw mild conclusions on lighting but not accurate ones,i would have to be in game.

BTW i don't hate ESO at all,i would rate it in the top 5/6/7 games of all time,and i would even understand a rating of top 3,although i wouldn't agree with top 3 lol,i would understand it.

Just like in gaming and with these pics,i dissect a LOT,it is because i go way way back to when i was making maps and attempting to make a game,so i understand every last aspect from sounds/music to lighting etc etc.
    As well there is an important aspect about game environments,a picture migth not look good however i do understand the author might be trying to create a certain atmosphere,more about it's purpose than winning any picture contest,so just because i say a picture doesn't look good does not mean it might not serve a great purpose in the game setting.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

ScotchUp said:

Hook64 can take that fog away. The game looks a lot better with Hook64. IMHO

https://www.gamemodi.net/
    I wouldn't install that thing. It also provides cheats for some games.
    Best way to get your account banned... or other problems.
    laseritPhryYashaX
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • TealaTeala SomewhereMember RarePosts: 7,593
    edited September 4
    Here are some newer images.  My character has changed in appearance somewhat...she got a haircut and dyed it.  :)

Below is a picture of my character fighting a Daedric Demon - this was just before she changed her looks.

Just love the richness of the colors in this game.  Reminds me of paintings by great fantasy artist like Whelan, Parkinson, and Elmore.
    Post edited by Teala on
    Jean-Luc_PicardTorvalimmodiumJemcrystal
  • GolelornGolelorn Hiding From Social Media Peeping Toms, ALMember UncommonPosts: 1,291
    Viper482 said:
    Honestly wish I could get into this game. I love TES, love MMO's....but this game just doesn't grab me at all.
    Same boat. The combat and character customization is just so horribly bland.
    Golelorn said:
    Viper482 said:
    Honestly wish I could get into this game. I love TES, love MMO's....but this game just doesn't grab me at all.
    ... character customization is just so horribly bland.
    Can't be serious. There's more character development variations possible in this game than in most if not all other class based theme parks.
    TorvalTealaimmodiumGdemamiYashaXpostlarval
  • PhryPhry OxfordshireMember EpicPosts: 8,868
    Golelorn said:
    Viper482 said:
    Can't be serious. There's more character development variations possible in this game than in most if not all other class based theme parks.
    While there is a certain amount of truth in that, the reality to me seems to be that choice of weapons to use and race has more impact/meaning than the 'class' chosen as its likely that only one or two abilities will really be all that useful, so you end up choosing between swords, 1handed or 2 handed, bows, or magical staff combat, the rest is pretty much akin to traits, they allow for a certain amount of 'variation' but i wouldn't say they were all that significant compared to weapon choices which is where the real 'class' determination seems to be made. :/
    edited September 8
    Phry said:
    Golelorn said:
    Viper482 said:
    While there is a certain amount of truth in that, the reality to me seems to be that choice of weapons to use and race has more impact/meaning than the 'class' chosen as its likely that only one or two abilities will really be all that useful, so you end up choosing between swords, 1handed or 2 handed, bows, or magical staff combat, the rest is pretty much akin to traits, they allow for a certain amount of 'variation' but i wouldn't say they were all that significant compared to weapon choices which is where the real 'class' determination seems to be made. :/
    In most class based MMORPGs, each class is restricted to specific weapons. Just that freedom to use any weapon you want makes ESO one level higher than the others. We are closer to skill based games like UO and AC1 than to the usual class based theme park.

Want to be a sorcerer in heavy armor using a two handed sword and a bow? You can, and it will work.
    GdemamiYashaXpostlarval
    Phry said:
    Golelorn said:
    Viper482 said:
    It varies a lot class to class and whether you're trying to stretch a class into something unique at higher levels.

Most builds will typically use 4, maybe 5, weapon abilities out of the 12 slots including ultimates. I can tell you that most of mine (and I have 2 of each at the CP cap) have a pretty even distribution: about 1/3 class skills, 1/3 weapon skills and 1/3 "other"... other being PVP or guild skills.

You can force the issue if you want to try something different but if you're interested in maxing out your build you'll likely end-up with that 4:4:4 ratio more often than not.
    YashaX

-- Yogi --
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Dallas, TXMember UncommonPosts: 1,307
    edited September 8
    Double Post Pls Delete
    Post edited by mcrippins on
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Dallas, TXMember UncommonPosts: 1,307
    Jean-Luc_PicardlaseritTorvalTealaJemcrystalSlyLoKpostlarvalGaxusn
  • Nightshade98Nightshade98 Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Nice SS from everyone, when I get back to my normal CPU I'll share a few...
    Jemcrystal
  • inmysightsinmysights Houston, TXMember UncommonPosts: 378
    Phry said:
    Mikeha said:
    ESO now looks dated. :/
    Technology stands still for noone, it doesn't take that long really for games to start looking dated, and it has been a few years since ESO released after all, at least its not as bad as SW:TOR, i dropped into that game recently after having been playing BDO, patch wednesdays yay, and i couldn't believe how clunky the character controls were, nor how 'old' the graphics looked.
    It doesn't take much playing the newer games to make the older games look even older, just take Eve Online, its a 2003 game but they regularly update visuals for ships etc. Recently they improved planets and stations and they are always working on how to make things look more impressive when exploding. :p
    Uhhh, I disagree with you on SW:TOR, you must have a shitty system. I play SW:TOR on max settings and that game is freaking fabulous. The details in everything from the dirt to city skylines in the zones is just out of this world. They have gone out of their way in all the details in the game for sure, do not take that away.
    JemcrystalTorvalScotchUp

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Champaign, ILMember UncommonPosts: 1,734
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Champaign, ILMember UncommonPosts: 1,734
  • YashaXYashaX Baldurs GateMember RarePosts: 1,943
    Phry said:
    Golelorn said:
    Viper482 said:
    The class has a pretty big impact, each has a range of powerful skills and class passives which synergize in different ways.

For example, in pvp when you see a nightblade you know its going to behave differently to a dragon knight or a templar, even if they are wearing the same armor/weapons.  
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 1,554
    Phry said:
    ESO's graphics are okay, but they are also a bit dated, when you compare it to games such as BDO, where the quality of the graphics is significantly higher it tends to highlight the difference in generations.
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think BDO’s graphics are butt-ugly, especially character skins. They all look like they have some kind of disease.
    Gdemami
    ~ postlarval ~
    If I knew how I knew everything I knew, then I’d only be able to know half as much because my brain would be all clogged up with where I knew it from. 
    Phry said:
    ESO's graphics are okay, but they are also a bit dated, when you compare it to games such as BDO, where the quality of the graphics is significantly higher it tends to highlight the difference in generations.
    I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think BDO’s graphics are butt-ugly, especially character skins. They all look like they have some kind of disease.
    BDO is pretty good when you get rid of the default filter. IMO it and ESO are the two best looking MMOs at the moment. All in all I prefer the art style in ESO over BDO's though.

But BDO being "significantly higher"? Not a chance.
    Gdemami

-- Yogi --
  • SiveriaSiveria Saint John, New BrunswickMember UncommonPosts: 1,286
    edited October 5
    The game does have some nice scenery, however the nice scenerty doesn't fix the problem it does the biggest mistake "mmo"rpg's are making since wow brought them to casuals: Its made to be too much of a single player game, its missing the MMO elements. IMO other than the very beginning after that you should have to start teaming up to do anything, I am so tired of mmorpgs these days because they mostly feel like piss-poorly made single player games. Wheres the multiplayer part? Last mmorpg I played that actually felt like a mmorpg was final fantasy 11 back before abyssea and the casualifcation patches that dumbed the game down. I say this because past like level 10 or so soloing was a non-option for most classes, it was slow, rewarded poor exp, it was made this way on purpose to force people to team up and socialize. I miss being forced to socialize in a mmorpg, because if it, hardly anyone ever does look to team up for things as there is no need to. If people could raid by themselves they probally would do it over partying up for it. Also.. any idea why the post thing here on mmorpg.com completly ignores any time I try to break paragraphs apart? it just jumbles them all into 1 insted of formatting it as I orignally typed it. Here is a picture of what this post looks like in the editor, and well you can see how it ends up when I hit save comment: https://gyazo.com/5c6c6a1238948a361937791a2ac5f0a4
    Post edited by Siveria on
    TorvalGdemami

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Siveria said:
    The game does have some nice scenery, however the nice scenerty doesn't fix the problem it does the biggest mistake "mmo"rpg's are making since wow brought them to casuals: Its made to be too much of a single player game, its missing the MMO elements. IMO other than the very beginning after that you should have to start teaming up to do anything, I am so tired of mmorpgs these days because they mostly feel like piss-poorly made single player games. Wheres the multiplayer part? Last mmorpg I played that actually felt like a mmorpg was final fantasy 11 back before abyssea and the casualifcation patches that dumbed the game down. I say this because past like level 10 or so soloing was a non-option for most classes, it was slow, rewarded poor exp, it was made this way on purpose to force people to team up and socialize. I miss being forced to socialize in a mmorpg, because if it, hardly anyone ever does look to team up for things as there is no need to. If people could raid by themselves they probally would do it over partying up for it. Also.. any idea why the post thing here on mmorpg.com completly ignores any time I try to break paragraphs apart? it just jumbles them all into 1 insted of formatting it as I orignally typed it. Here is a picture of what this post looks like in the editor, and well you can see how it ends up when I hit save comment: https://gyazo.com/5c6c6a1238948a361937791a2ac5f0a4
    IDK what your off-topic rant has to do with graphics but anyway... WTF is wrong with you guys who want others or even yourself to be "forced to socialize."

It's like a parent going postal and taking away all your electronics so you are forced to socialize and play the way they did when they were growing up.

Grouping options with good incentives for grouping are one thing but being forced to do it by removing all else is like a textbook definition of fascist game development.
    Jean-Luc_PicardTorvalimmodium

-- Yogi --
    edited October 5
    Siveria said:
    I miss being forced to socialize in a mmorpg...
    Why, are you unable to go towards other players if not forced to? And/or do you need people to be forced to play with you, don't they do it because they enjoy your company?
    Seems to me that the problem lies with you, and not with the game(s) you play...

And while we're at it, what's the relation between your post and a topic about graphics?
    TorvalScotchUp
  • YashaXYashaX Baldurs GateMember RarePosts: 1,943
    edited October 5
    Siveria said:
    The game does have some nice scenery, however the nice scenerty doesn't fix the problem it does the biggest mistake "mmo"rpg's are making since wow brought them to casuals: Its made to be too much of a single player game, its missing the MMO elements.

IMO other than the very beginning after that you should have to start teaming up to do anything, I am so tired of mmorpgs these days because they mostly feel like piss-poorly made single player games.

Wheres the multiplayer part? Last mmorpg I played that actually felt like a mmorpg was final fantasy 11 back before abyssea and the casualifcation patches that dumbed the game down. I say this because past like level 10 or so soloing was a non-option for most classes, it was slow, rewarded poor exp, it was made this way on purpose to force people to team up and socialize.

I miss being forced to socialize in a mmorpg, because if it, hardly anyone ever does look to team up for things as there is no need to. If people could raid by themselves they probally would do it over partying up for it.

Also.. any idea why the post thing here on mmorpg.com completly ignores any time I try to break paragraphs apart? it just jumbles them all into 1 insted of formatting it as I orignally typed it. Here is a picture of what this post looks like in the editor, and well you can see how it ends up when I hit save comment: https://gyazo.com/5c6c6a1238948a361937791a2ac5f0a4
    You might like the pvp in ESO then, because you pretty much have to team up to get anything done. 

Not sure why your paragraph breaks don' t work. I put some in for you ;)
    Post edited by YashaX on
    Torval
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 1,554
    Siveria said:
    I miss being forced to socialize in a mmorpg, because if it, hardly anyone ever does look to team up for things as there is no need to. If people could raid by themselves they probally would do it over partying up for it. 
    Have you seen how people act in-game these days? I can totally understand why people want to play solo. Sometimes the douchebag quotient is just too high for multiplayer to be enjoyable. 
    ~ postlarval ~
    If I knew how I knew everything I knew, then I’d only be able to know half as much because my brain would be all clogged up with where I knew it from.