Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secret World Legends - Roman Amiel on Making Secret World Legends Better Than the Original - MMORPG.

Comments

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Skuz said:
    From reading the FAQ GrandMasters (lifetime subscription) need to log in before the 5th of April & then by linking their old TSW account with the new TWSL account they will get lifetime patron status.
    it is for character name reservation , not for linking accounts,what have to happening  later, after TSW L release
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Name Reservations

By funcom | March 28, 2017

Your online name in a game represents who you are, so we want to make sure that our current players in The Secret World (TSW) have a chance to reserve their name in Secret World Legends.

1. On April 5th at 10:00 EDT (14:00 UTC) during the weekly downtime on TSW we will be archiving all characters that have not logged in during the past 6 months.
    2. At the same time, we will purge the Name Reservation List on The Secret World account page.
    3. Once TSW comes back online at 12:00 EDT (16:00 UTC) you will be able to create a character using any of the freed-up names
    4. On the TSW account page you will be able to select which character name you would like to reserve for use in Secret World Legends. Please note you can only reserve one name per account.
    5. You can only reserve character names that exist on your TSW account.
    6. Once Secret World Legends goes live you will be able to link your Secret World Legends and TSW account and claim your reserved name.

The new Secret World Legends name reservation page will be available until Secret World Legends goes live.  Any name reserved will be available for 3 months after the relaunch.

We look forward to seeing you on Secret World Legends!

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    As a grandmaster I am utterly pissed off. The entire loyal player base got screwed over royally. Losing all progress, may not keep everything we paid for, only get to keep one of our names, and they are dumbing the game down. Failcom has lost my business for good.

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• jj7009jj7009 Member UncommonPosts: 223

Po_gg said:

Leiloni said:

If TSW was that good you would have a larger and more active playerbase.

It was good enough for being the biggest contributor to their income through the years, and funded The Park, H&S and Exiles.

Leiloni said:

Instead ever since the announcement and even more so today (here and on
    Reddit), you have tons of players excited at the idea of a revamped
    game, fixing the things they didn't like about it.

That's true, and just makes the contrast even more sad. The current playerbase is shafted and ignored, while Funcom targets those who doesn't even play the game.

I get it, financially it might be a good move (not sure though, how many of those players will stay for more than 1-2 months), but still a pretty low blow to all who have payed their bills over the years.
    They handled the AoC changes last year similarly, but AoC folks have a thicker skin, they are accustomed to Funcom's moves. TSW community is much friendlier and had more trust in Funcom... well, that's water under the bridge for them as well.

Except tsw didnt fund exiles a government bailout did... I'm a Grand master and ill say this now. The game would have shut down if not for this. The game wasn't/isn't profitable in its current state. Stop talking about things you have no idea of. If you would have waited a day they already started saying what benefits WE the older players get.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited April 2017
    jj7009 said:
    Except tsw didnt fund exiles a government bailout did... I'm a Grand master and ill say this now. The game would have shut down if not for this. The game wasn't/isn't profitable in its current state. Stop talking about things you have no idea of. If you would have waited a day they already started saying what benefits WE the older players get.
    Wow... only a couple months on the go, and cognitive load is already in effect... alt-facting much, eh? :lol:
    (http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/donald-trump-lies-liar-effect-brain-214658  )

The bailout did... right. Don't let the fact confuses you that Exiles was in the works since at least mid/late '15 (even earlier if you consider the concepts and work of AoC's crafting revamp which are 'accidentally' present in Exiles), they announced it in early '16 with the plans of going to EA in the summer. When the bailout happened. Yeah, sure, the bailout went back in time and funded Exiles :lol:
    (but it surely gave them the breathing space they needed with all the debts, that's why they shifted the EA to '17 January as soon as they got the money. A summer EA might've worked too, but with the extra money they could polish it a bit more)

TSW is either shutdown or Legends, yep, that's also a frequent one used on the forum, too bad it's not true. Based on FC's track record with AO and AoC, TSW could've gone into the same maintenace mode for years, and generating a solid, though dwindling income while they're focusing on the new projects. Not something unusual, that's how they operate since 10-12 years now... only the unexpected success of Exiles give them enough elbow space for some gamble, so they're ditching their most unique game, and their most loyal community, for the chance of grabbing some more money.
    If Legends flops, they're still fine for a couple years, but if it can generate enough money for a year, it's already a win to them (and apparently that worths more to them, than their community).

"Benefits" of TSW players, you mean the 1 reserved name per account, and the (later defined) selection of store-purchased cosmetics? :lol:  oh, wait, maybe you mean the weapon unlocks! (and what about the pages? :wink: )

I admit the GM part eluded me... what's the significance of that? I'm a GM too (at least for now*), plus have a second account with occasional 1-2 months of subscription on the go. It makes my opinion more valid? "ill say this now":  F.ck, nope, it doesn't  :lol:

(* maybe that will be the best part of Legends, if it won't flop, a buddy of mine is willing to buy my GM, so at least I will be at my money :waving: )
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2017
    Funcom looks exactly like SOE during it's final 2-3 years.
    Trying to rehash the same game,trying new servers,trying a cheap fast cash grab game to keep cash flow going,it all looks real bad.

I am pretty sure if not for the EASY money on H1Z1,we would of heard some serious rumblings from Daybreak.I feel Funcom is in the same boat,problem with Funcom is TSW published by EA,idk the shimmy,but that usually means a big chunk of the money comes off the top and goes to EA.

From my seat in the bleachers,i just do not see Funcom as doing very well at all,i feel they are very close to being sold for dirt cheap or just hanging on as long as the creditors will allow them.
    Bottom line is that i do not see a future for Funcom.They should have 5 years ago jumped on the mobile bandwagon,cheap development costs,easy market.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

jj7009 said:

Po_gg said:

Leiloni said:

It was good enough for being the biggest contributor to their income through the years, and funded The Park, H&S and Exiles.

Leiloni said:

That's true, and just makes the contrast even more sad. The current playerbase is shafted and ignored, while Funcom targets those who doesn't even play the game.

I get it, financially it might be a good move (not sure though, how many of those players will stay for more than 1-2 months), but still a pretty low blow to all who have payed their bills over the years.
    They handled the AoC changes last year similarly, but AoC folks have a thicker skin, they are accustomed to Funcom's moves. TSW community is much friendlier and had more trust in Funcom... well, that's water under the bridge for them as well.

If by benefits you mean what we as gms lose in legends (hint nearly everything)

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Ehllfhire said:
    jj7009 said:

Po_gg said:

Leiloni said:

Leiloni said:

If by benefits you mean what we as gms lose in legends (hint nearly everything)
    At any given moment an underperforming MMO can be shut down.

The money you paid was for the time you spent playing the game and you received full value for it.

You were no more investing in your future experience than you would with a cable TV sub.

Legends by first accounts is a different game, be grateful they decided to reward you at all, they didnt have to.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Kyleran said:
    At any given moment an underperforming MMO can be shut down.

The money you paid was for the time you spent playing the game and you received full value for it.

You were no more investing in your future experience than you would with a cable TV sub.

Legends by first accounts is a different game, be grateful they decided to reward you at all, they didnt have to.
    I have a GM account and 1000 times this.

Also there have been some leaks out there and I've seen some stuff.  What I have seen has made me actually even more interested than I was.  I'm very happy about how this has turned out for me.  

Like many I think it's pretty obvious Funcom is getting out of the MMO market proper.  They are evolving their business plan and the game design for future products will reflect that.  They have taken a step that no other game company, save Square Enix (albeit handled extremely differently,) has.  You can argue about how they handled it, but arguing about if it should happen is not up for debate.  It is happening.  I'm taking the better something than nothing approach.  
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited April 2017
    Here's some stuff about the level system.

[Article]
    Let there be levels
    Another concern folks have is the change to levels. Amiel said that the game always had levels, they were just invisible. Zombies in Kingsmouth were decidedly easier to kill (lower level) than vampires in The Shadowy Forest. The difference now is that those levels will actually be noted on mobs and characters; folks will see in a glance if they are of an appropriate power range to take on any certain encounter.

One reason for this change was because of an inherent flaw that came with the completely open choose-whatever-I-want system. Amiel explained that there were many instances where, in choosing to spend their ability and skill points in certain ways, some players actually seriously hampered their ability to play. Basically, they messed themselves up by not giving themselves the tools they needed to move on. This would cause great frustration and the game lost players. With this level system, players will get boosts in HP and such as they level, making sure they have the minimal tools available to continue their journey. If this can help people from slamming full force into the Blue Mountain wall and quitting the game, it will be a good change. Players can still help friends of any level, and being over-leveled should not hinder the lower level as loot is personal.

As a side note, I also learned that there will be the requisite "you leveled!" ding and animation. Amiel told me it is an anima burst and an announcement. I can only pray it is very muted, because that kind of fanfare would totally and completely detract from the setting for me. I do not want a light show heralding my new power! I can understand others like that though, so perhaps an option to turn that completely off could be a part of it.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/31/the-daily-grind-are-you-excited-about-secret-world-legends-2/

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RueTheWhirlRueTheWhirl Member UncommonPosts: 33
    100% looking forward to this and will be a subscriber! I actually want to help with this game and am just waiting for that beta invite! =) Love what Funcom does for the genre.
    TheScavenger
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited April 2017

This is a good move by Funcom with TSW.  It being an RPG that relied heavily on story telling, investigations, and puzzle solving, SWL will be better suited as a co-op RPG than TSW was as an MMORPG.  As long it allows players the option of grouping when necessary, TSW in this new iteration will be much more enjoyable for the majority masses than TSW was in its former state.   

100% looking forward to this and will be a subscriber! I actually want to help with this game and am just waiting for that beta invite! =) Love what Funcom does for the genre.

RueTheWhirl said:
    Funny you will sub now that they are destroying their game.

PS3

• SeeDarklySeeDarkly Member UncommonPosts: 14
    "more accessible to all" usually means dumbed down massively.
    Oh dear, oh dear.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Po_gg said:

Leiloni said:

Ziboo said:

Kinda shafting the existing player base (not surprised), so I guess we'll wait and see. Much to prove FunCom.

(Not to mention ARR was pretty much the same game, just better. TSW was an MMORPG, while SWL will be a single/co-op action game, with the lore and missions of TSW)

Just a side note that FFXIV ARR and 1.0 couldn't be more different from one another. Everything was reworked -- even the engine was remade -- from the ground up. The only thing that remained the same were the look of the starting cities. All stories were new, all zones and all systems; same with all dungeons and the like. Literally 99% of the game was brand new, though they treated the events of 1.0 as being in the past and referenced it for lore.
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • DinastyDinasty Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Spring? Hell yea!
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Seems like a lot of work for improved combat, slightly improved visuals and less players around? Doesn't sound like it is going to be worth effort. I'm clearly missing something.
  • PerjurePerjure Member UncommonPosts: 250

Torval said:

Here is the name reservation info and how to ensure you can select a name. You can only select ONE name per account.

From their wesite: https://secretworldlegends.com/news/namereservation/

Your online name in a game represents who you are, so we want to
    make sure that our current players in The Secret World (TSW) have a
    chance to reserve their name in Secret World Legends.

1. On April 5th at 10:00 EDT (14:00 UTC) during the weekly
      downtime on TSW we will be archiving all characters that have not logged
      in during the past 6 months.
    2. At the same time, we will purge the Name Reservation List on The Secret World account page.
    3. Once TSW comes back online at 12:00 EDT (16:00 UTC) you will be able to create a character using any of the freed-up names
    4. On the TSW account page
      you will be able to select which character name you would like to
      reserve for use in Secret World Legends. Please note you can only
      reserve one name per account.
    5. You can only reserve character names that exist on your TSW account.
    6. Once Secret World Legends goes live you will be able to link your
      Secret World Legends and TSW account and claim your reserved name.

The new Secret World Legends name reservation page will be available
    until Secret World Legends goes live.  Any name reserved will be
    available for 3 months after the relaunch.

We look forward to seeing you on Secret World Legends!

Was pretty pissed about this - all my character names wiped since my last log in in October. Not cool.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    I setup a new account for TSW. As I couldn't remember my beta account details. Linked my paypal account to the Funcom account and 10 secs later I'm the proud owner of "the Park". Had to google what it was, as the Funcom/TSW website has hardly a working page.

If they want to improve the game, they better start working on a better website, billing services and account page.

• KatbirdKatbird Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I am looking forward to not having as many people around because you NEVER had to work out where to go on new investigative missions -- you just looked for the big knot of people.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Will I be able to shoot monsters behind me with a shotgun in this one?
  • FuriantFuriant Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Furiant said:
    I was vaguely interested in this until I saw the "Name Reservations" link on their site. That's a no-go for me. I just can't play another game where I can't be named what I want because someone else got it first. It's a stupid and unnecessary problem that has been solved by many other games already. Couple that with already having been disappoined twice by Funcom (Conan and TSW), and I feel pretty safe skipping this.
    Out of curiosity what games allow multiple people to have the same name.  I've never played an online game that names were not on a first come first served basis.  
    Champions Online, for one. You take whatever name you want, and your "display name" is appended to the end of it with an @. So, CharacterName@DisplayName. 
  • dream402dream402 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    i have no problem with TSW the way it is now i would not mind funcom making that free to play and throwing us them changes instead of making a hole different game   
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2017
    Same story and Lore but "we feel it is important to start with a new player.Why so players can see the exact same stuff over again?Cosmetic items carry over,so much for a NEW player lmao,so much deception here.

They have taken the exact same game and trying to re-brand it with what a few statistical changes?So lets reboot servers,change the name add in a PATRON cost to experience the same world,sounds legit to me..not.

Reading over reddits,it seems like the team claimed the reason for change was the combat.However those that were in the live stream state there is no change to combat ,they are just adding a reticle.

Reading over posts,i get the feeling even after this interview,most have no clue what is coming,which means the interview did a poor job of bringing players meaningful informatrion.However i can read between the lines,VERY little is coming,just a reboot and new cost structure,LAZY effort.
    Many ask for new combat as would i because it was crap,however that would mean a big overhaul and restructuring mobs and Ai/scripts no way are they going that route,looks like only SIMPLE changes are what they are aiming for.
    IMO only the diehard will accept a lame reboot,i truly feel this is going to cause some anger leaving players questioning WHY the reboot.I see right through it as a simple marketing idea to try and kickstart basically the exact same game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Wizardry said:
    Same story and Lore but "we feel it is important to start with a new player.Why so players can see the exact same stuff over again?Cosmetic items carry over,so much for a NEW player lmao,so much deception here.

They have taken the exact same game and trying to re-brand it with what a few statistical changes?So lets reboot servers,change the name add in a PATRON cost to experience the same world,sounds legit to me..not.

Reading over reddits,it seems like the team claimed the reason for change was the combat.However those that were in the live stream state there is no change to combat ,they are just adding a reticle.

Reading over posts,i get the feeling even after this interview,most have no clue what is coming,which means the interview did a poor job of bringing players meaningful informatrion.However i can read between the lines,VERY little is coming,just a reboot and new cost structure,LAZY effort.
    Many ask for new combat as would i because it was crap,however that would mean a big overhaul and restructuring mobs and Ai/scripts no way are they going that route,looks like only SIMPLE changes are what they are aiming for.
    IMO only the diehard will accept a lame reboot,i truly feel this is going to cause some anger leaving players questioning WHY the reboot.I see right through it as a simple marketing idea to try and kickstart basically the exact same game.

Ok, ok, ok. Soooooo, my understanding is that they are migrating to an action combat system over a tab-targeting system, correct? Unless they've already gotten rid of tab targeting since I last played, years ago. 

If that's the case, then your assessment of "they are just adding a reticle" is one of the top grossly-understated and misinformed quotes I've heard this year. Granted, there might be some assets in place that can be recycled, if they are going from tab-targeting to action-based, that's essentially a framework level change. Shit, in tab targeting, I never even need to calculate whether or not I hit the enemy. In most tab-targeting games, I can be turned the other way and still hit them, lol. 

Honestly, in my opinion, your whole over-simplification of the redesign is very cringe-worthy. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------