Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Secret World Legends - Roman Amiel on Making Secret World Legends Better Than the Original - MMORPG.

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    TSW was garbage...They have to do alot better than that....And please no cut scenes or voice acting this time and make it a MMO instead of a 99% solo player experience....Oh yeah and how about AoC combat with some of AOs innovation while youre at it.
    Yeah...I don't think you get the point of the game. It isn't for you. Find another game.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Some of the existing player base will go over to the watered down version. Thus reducing the players on Vanilla TSW even more and putting the final nail in.

Sad to see TSW finally die.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Seems like a bit of a kick in the shins for existing players who like TSW as it exists today... but as someone who mostly played TSW solo for a few months after launch and then quit, this may just be enough to get me to try it out again; assuming the combat is actually balanced and well animated now.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Torval said:
    Dakeru said:
    My problem is they're treating it like a new game when they're repackaging. This is exactly FUncoms style. Reheated leftovers with some additional trimmings.

Either
    • Release a brand new game based on the TSW universe righting wrongs of the previous title
    • Overhaul the old title, and allow players to log-in and comeback
    IMHO this is all a long con to release on console and make some extra revenue off of old assets.

Pretty much this. They can earn extra money with this re-release.
    That wouldn't be bad actually if they hadn't been hyping the community so much that great things were to come.

None of the fans imagined great things to be maintenance mode.
    Speak for yourself. I'm a fan and this could be great for me. We'll see. I'm not going to get all gung-ho chomping at the bit, but a lot of it sounds great.

If this game is tuned for solo, duo, and small group coop then that will be awesome. If the server tech automatically puts me more often with people on my friends list then so much the better.

Greatness conceptualized is never as epic as greatness realized. When we get implementation details then we'll have a much better idea of what this can and can't be.
    It's not about what can or can not be.

It's about their piss poor and misleading advertising over the last months.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Dakeru said:

Do you have any specific examples on this?
    Dakeru said:

The promise for change.. the promise to rework the combat system.
    The hyped tweets by the developers telling us to stay tuned and that it's going to be great.

Frankly if they had said they are recreating the game I would have been the first to get hyped because I know the performance issues just too well.

But that's not what they did.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Torval said:

At least FunCom is thinking outside of the mmo box. Most devs and pubs are stuck in a prison of preconceived notions and rules about what an online rpg experience must be.

They might be thinking outside of the MMORPG box, but to me it sounds like they are thinking pretty in box as far as gaming goes in General.
    As someone who pre-ordered but couldn't get out of the tutorial before quitting I'll have to keep my alert level at puce, wait and see.
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

The promise for change.. the promise to rework the combat system.
    The hyped tweets by the developers telling us to stay tuned and that it's going to be great.

Frankly if they had said they are recreating the game I would have been the first to get hyped because I know the performance issues just too well.

But that's not what they did.
    Yes that is exactly what they did.  They said (in an investors meeting mind you - so not really advertising) that they were RELAUNCHING the game.  That exactly means recreating the game.  That also means change and the combat system is getting reworked.  Literally everything you stated above is exactly what they are doing.   O.o

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

Means I won't lose my MMORPG.com T-Shirt :-D

Amen!

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

I am cautiously optimistic TSW's strenght was the storyline, it was fun to see lots of people in the cities but the game was at its best in the solo or instanced areas. And the skill system was way to complicated for many players.

Petrarch

One word Housing! If they do that and do it well they have a possible Monster Hit in their hands.

Petrarch

Knytta said:
    One word Housing! If they do that and do it well they have a possible Monster Hit in their hands.
    Didn't think about that.  Not sure how that would work in the new iteration.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    TSW was garbage...They have to do alot better than that....And please no cut scenes or voice acting this time and make it a MMO instead of a 99% solo player experience....Oh yeah and how about AoC combat with some of AOs innovation while youre at it.
    Yeah...I don't think you get the point of the game. It isn't for you. Find another game.
    These are my fav posts...The "you're too stupid for this game" posts...
    These are my fav posts...The "you're too stupid for this game" posts...
    I think your intelligence has nothing to do with what his comment was about.
  • aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620
    I think this is fantastic. I cant wait to try it out. Played the original Alpha, but wasnt quite what I was hoping for. Stayed with it until Beta, but didnt change in the way I would have liked, so I never bought the actual game.

Loved the questing, loved the environment and the story. Hated the combat, and did not care for the progression system (leveling by skill points is still leveling). Hope this reworked version is more of what I was looking for the first time (better or worse is too subjective, so I say just more of what I want). At least if combat is fun and engaging, I will probably be happy enough, no matter what the other systems come out as, as long as the questing and atmosphere stay unchanged.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Lifetime subs should have automatic closed beta, if not pre beta access at least
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Leiloni said:
    I don't honestly think they're shafting older players. It's the same game except with some improvements to the most complained about aspects.
    Most complained *by those who don't even play the game, and not by FC's own actual playerbase* (fixed :wink: )
    Leiloni said:
    How are older players shafted there? Their favorite game is getting new life and more players, while still essentially being the same game.
    "Essentially the same"  riiight, except it will be a totally different game. Similar missions, true, but Tilty said even the mission structure will get changes. Basically it will be a primitive whack-a-mole action game with a straightforward, fixed progression system (since nobody likes to think, right?), and slapped TSW's story onto it, but even dumbed down that part too, yay hand-helding...
    Essentially the same, that was a good one :lol:

Dakeru said:

Not the last months, since those were total and utter silence, but all over the last year. Players stayed with the game for the promised new content through the year of content draught. Every time there was a tiny chunk of new stuff added (like the HK or the Rider) it was like
    "sure, it's just a small tidbit, but no worries, we are busy working on the new stuff coming in 2017, but we can't tell anything about it yet".
    Then in December they went into radio silence "we need to focus on Exile's launch", and.... not a single word from them since.
    Exiles launched - "hey, now it's the time to say something" - silence.
    Report arrived, with no new content just combat revamp - "hey, make things clear, say something" - silence.
    Legends announced, TSW removed, homepage silently redirected to Legends, etc. - "huge turmoil" - silence.

They are all about press releases, pleasing the new target audience with "accessibility", "more traditional", "fast paced action combat", but not a single word to their loyal community. Which is pretty familiar to AO and AoC community, now the TSW community have learned their lesson too. Luckily Legends won't have this problem, solo action games are notorious of their good and friendly communities, right? :lol:

But from an outside view it is a clever move, they don't need to worry about content creation for at least a year more, since you SWL players will get only the first three zones plus the Scenarios (because that will work greatly with the action combat crowd, brainless combat for 30 minutes :wink: ), and only adding the remaining Issues later, as the game goes on. Useful for PR too: "Legends will get scheduled content updates over the year" sure it will, the several years old TSW content  :wink:
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I played TSW at release and liked it quite a bit. I ended up not sticking around very long (played for about 6 months) but that had nothing to do with what I thought of the game then or now.

But this thing they're doing is very interesting. From an RPG gaming trends perspective, that is. This is the first MMO that I can think of that has so explicitly announced that their focus will now be on essentially, the solo experience.

Themepark MMOs fleshing out the solo experience and catering to solo players is not a new thing by any means. But talking about it this honestly, to the point of re-branding and inventing a new term for it with "Shared World RPG" is a new thing in my experience.

I find it particularly interesting in light of games like Dragon Age inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda (and many other recent RPGs) where I'm seeing a related trend: the MMOification of single player RPGs with a lot of MMO features (quantity of quest content, more robust crafting, etc.) being adopted to provide a much longer game play experience. It's particularly easy to see with DAI and MEA simply because they share their story-telling style with SWTOR's quest and solo content. And no one has ever accused SWTOR of not being solo-friendly or not catering to solo players.

It looks to me like we're heading toward a convergence of the two streams: mostly solo and/or small group, co-op, online RPGing and Funcom has come-up with a pretty good term to define it.

Could SWRPG.COM be far behind? :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    I loved TSW and the only reason why I quit was because of Tokyo and the much hated Aegis system!

So unless they revamped Tokyo and the Aegis system (preferably removed) I don't see how this re-release will be any better and end well. /shrug

People will still hit the brick wall in Tokyo and quit.
    I will play this and I will probably enjoy this.

But I cannot understand how people are denying that Funcom purposely mislead the TSW community.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • Oldgeezer99Oldgeezer99 Member CommonPosts: 1
    "You will meet  the odd stranger here and there "  no  no no my heart sank mmo forever sadly this game wont be for me
  • zenomexzenomex Member UncommonPosts: 242
    Combat has to be completely redesigned before I try out this game. For some reason the combat felt like some weird HTML browser game, hated it.
  • AgeniAgeni Member UncommonPosts: 44
    This is very good news for me. I will definitely try it asap!

I am glad this game not gonna be at console!!! Atleast for now......

Cheers
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436
    i'm skeptical, but i do have hope... not sure that counts for much though.

A lot of feels around this, I get a creepy NGE kinda vibe, but instead of patching over the old game they make a new launcher, for action reticle combat? Very NGE if you ask me.

New player progression revamp will most likely be more handholding aka arrows that point you in the direction your gonna go, more hints and ingame guides., is that a good thing in a game about investigation?

Nitpicking here so losing skills is ok if the new combat is in-fact a upgrade and not just a copy of the NGE . Vanity items, mounts are all good to transfer, for me though, the thing I want to be able to transfer is all the lore I'v collected, special event lore and such, but I wont even hope for that.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Dakeru said:
    I will play this and I will probably enjoy this.

But I cannot understand how people are denying that Funcom purposely mislead the TSW community.
    Yep, and it's not even just the hopes which were based on those lies, but cash as well. The sale at Xmas for example, backed up with "after Exiles the game will get its largest update since Tokyo"...  they've sold there a game which they knew will be axed soon...

As Zeeko notioned, Legends is pretty much a sugarcoated name for the game :lol:
    https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?98607-The-new-game-title-should-be-TSW-Betrayal