Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

14-Day Free Trial Limit Removed, Experience Now 'Unlimited' - Final Fantasy XIV News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

image14-Day Free Trial Limit Removed, Experience Now 'Unlimited' - Final Fantasy XIV News

If you're still waiting to try out Final Fantasy XIV, this may be the right time as the 14-day limit on the free trial has been lifted. The experience is now unlimited, though there are restrictions in place. Any experience or items gained during the free trial will be transferred to the full version if purchased. Lastly, anyone who has previously tried the trial can restart it at any time.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    DMKano said:
    And people said it would never go F2P ;)
    Which is reasonable IMO cause the quality this game can offer.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338

DMKano said:

Isn't this same as WoW's trial?
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    "While the free trial support page hasn't been updated with the lifting of the 14-day limit, it does give a good idea of what the restrictions are..."

Actually no, the site has no listed restrictions at all, which is really bothering considering that I was enjoying the silence from the gold spammers before this update.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    If we have an existing account, can we use that to access the Free Trial, or do we need a new account? I'd love to be able to play my account before deciding if I'm actually invested enough to pay $15.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• EothasEothas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    edited March 2017
    DMKano said:
    Are you serious? WoW has pretty much the same system. I guess WoW is going F2P too...

Yes, the previous restrictions for trial account will still apply. No acess to MB, FCs, tells, etc...
  • srpssrps Member UncommonPosts: 121

If we have an existing account, can we use that to access the Free Trial, or do we need a new account? I'd love to be able to play my account before deciding if I'm actually invested enough to pay $15.

I don't know whether this is permanent or transient, but I tried to sign for the free trial and it said "Square Enix accounts that have already registered for a FINAL FANTASY XIV service account are not eligible for a free trial."

Bah
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

DMKano said:

Isn't this same as WoW's trial?

Was just about to ask that. Wows is unlimited playtime until a certain level, guessing they're doing the same?
  • EothasEothas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    DMKano said:

Umm are you seriously asking me this? That emoticon there at the end of my post wasnt clear enough?
    I don't know, some like to use that emoticon to be passive-aggressive, that's why I asked. The good thing about the WoW system is that it applies to all accounts, I guess FF's trial is just for new accounts.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    DMKano said:
    Eothas said:
    DMKano said:
    Are you serious? WoW have pretty much the same system. I guess WoW is going F2P too...

Yes, the previous restrictions for trial account will still apply. No acess to MB, FCs, tells, etc...

Umm are you seriously asking me this? That emoticon there at the end of my post wasnt clear enough?

tbh i think the site needs some new updated emjois, can barely tell what some of them are :P
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited March 2017
    Those emoticons are on the small side and me with my ageing eyes have to have everything magnified to see well.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The fine print said something about 1-free trial per account.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• srpssrps Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Service is currently in maintenance, so unavailable.

I'll recheck later if there's a way to play the free trial using my inactive account.
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited March 2017
    Really hope the F2P is set up like WoW. Going fully F2P will kill this game for me.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    edited March 2017
    Ah Swell ! Question : What do we download now on Steam ? Full game or Free Trial / Demo ?

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

derek39 said:

Well done with this game I suppose. Unless the F2P is like WoW.

If it's full on F2P though, This is just an excuse to push more cash shop bullshit. I'd rather pay monthly for XIV than have F2P garbage all over my screen.

It isn't F2P, they just removed the time restriction from the trial. All other trial restrictions still apply.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I'll give this another try.  I started my free trial and my mom got really sick; in fact she died 3 weeks later.  So being heavily distracted and besides that having no computer capable of running the game available, I wasted my trial.  So I am glad, I get a chance to give this game a good trial to see if it is worth my money.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

DMKano said:

Eothas said:

DMKano said:

Are you serious? WoW have pretty much the same system. I guess WoW is going F2P too...

Pro backpedal attempt.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    GladDog said:
    I'll give this another try.  I started my free trial and my mom got really sick; in fact she died 3 weeks later.  So being heavily distracted and besides that having no computer capable of running the game available, I wasted my trial.  So I am glad, I get a chance to give this game a good trial to see if it is worth my money.
    My condolences.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

DMKano said:

Eothas said:

DMKano said:

Pro backpedal attempt.

weak bait attempt

Yet you took it, just saying.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Good spammers go where the crowds are. Paying a sub matters little to them.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Forgrimm said:

GladDog said:

My condolences.

Mine as well.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Thanks for the thoughts.  She lived a full life, ignored what her doctors said, and still made it to 78.  And yeah, I miss her a lot.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• SheilaVocSheilaVoc Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Yeah , I can't find a way to do a free trial with my old account, because it said I already applied for free trial in the past.
  • GlockerGlocker Member UncommonPosts: 3
    From the old trial page, the "important" ones:

- Lv cap at 35 (if I'm not mistaken you get to try all the base jobs)
    - Gil cap (no info on the exact number)
    - Can't use shout, yell or tell
    - Can't create linkshells, but can join one if invited
    - 8 characters account-wide, but one per world
    - Can't use the market board
    - Can't trade
    - Can't use the mail system
    - Can't create parties, but can join an existing one if invited or via Duty Finder
    - Can't join/create a FC
    - Can't use the lodestone
    - Can't progress past level 10 in the Deep Dungeon
  • sdeleon515sdeleon515 Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Glocker said:
    From the old trial page, the "important" ones:

- Lv cap at 35 (if I'm not mistaken you get to try all the base jobs)
    - Gil cap (no info on the exact number)
    - Can't use shout, yell or tell
    - Can't create linkshells, but can join one if invited
    - 8 characters account-wide, but one per world
    - Can't use the market board
    - Can't trade
    - Can't use the mail system
    - Can't create parties, but can join an existing one if invited or via Duty Finder
    - Can't join/create a FC
    - Can't use the lodestone
    - Can't progress past level 10 in the Deep Dungeon
    >..I have to admit it was really well thought out for combating against rmt and that much insight is rare. I wouldn't have minded Dungeons being a tad higher and I do get the limits of trades as well; crafters would make subs just to have a mule to hold onto synth mats and could also influence inventory/pricing on the market using dummy accounts on rarer products and then there's just the rmt element. But no matter how you look at it, on a "free" account, I can't complain too much about the lack of trade in all honesty. I think the Free Company and mail system might be too harsh; I can see how it could be a problem based on crafting and rmt but might be a step too far but well thought out!