Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The review MMORPG.com failed to present (dunkey Mass Effect Andromeda)

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Distopia said:
    Draemos said:

Soo.... games that are good.  That's what games that are popular to like are defined as.  GOOD.  Is he suppose to hate on games that are good, cause that's the most asinine shit I've ever heard.
    By most accounts (from those who've played) is that ME is at the least a good game, just not great.. What I'm saying is there are plenty of games that are popular to like that simply get passes for these kinds of things.. Skyrim as an example (most NPC's are the most dead pan of any game). The witcher 3 another, which has plenty of questionable elements like it's horrible movement, and clunky combat.

An example of a good game that got canned in many reviews was Dragon's Dogma, as it's popularity didn't come until the DA release. Prior most reviews were in the 7's-7.5's...

If you don't think these folks are picking their approach by what they view as garnering the most clicks as well as favoritism, then that's what is asinine. 
    True Dragon's Dogma is a great game but in fairness its npc's are not any more "alive" than skyrim's.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Sovrath said:
    Distopia said:
    Draemos said:

Soo.... games that are good.  That's what games that are popular to like are defined as.  GOOD.  Is he suppose to hate on games that are good, cause that's the most asinine shit I've ever heard.
    By most accounts (from those who've played) is that ME is at the least a good game, just not great.. What I'm saying is there are plenty of games that are popular to like that simply get passes for these kinds of things.. Skyrim as an example (most NPC's are the most dead pan of any game). The witcher 3 another, which has plenty of questionable elements like it's horrible movement, and clunky combat.

An example of a good game that got canned in many reviews was Dragon's Dogma, as it's popularity didn't come until the DA release. Prior most reviews were in the 7's-7.5's...

If you don't think these folks are picking their approach by what they view as garnering the most clicks as well as favoritism, then that's what is asinine. 
    True Dragon's Dogma is a great game but in fairness its npc's are not any more "alive" than skyrim's.
    Yet Skyrim with far worse game-play, got 10's. As much as I love Skyrim and the TES series proper, there's no arguing IMO that they don't get a free pass on that type of stuff, especially compared to others, due to popularity. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ConvaelConvael Member UncommonPosts: 14
     A lot of the criticism , while valid but often being made hyperbole . ME : A is still a LOT better than FF XV .

When I remember how awful the writing was in FFXV , the disastrous driving system , the repetitive combat system , game characters randomly disappearing without reason just to fill up the plot , suddenly ME : A feels like a GOTY .

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

We shouldn't glorify a money grab in my opinion. Anyone hear about the dev team and their racism? What happened to Bioware. 
    Anyway Manveer Heir is supposedly racist and I feel sad about handing these unoriginal and broken video game company any money. It´s 2017 why are we still seeing this 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpH3WtHWEAAABDS.jpg  (Manveer Heir Gameplay designer)

Sucks man. I was so hyped :expressionless:
    Mind to inform us what is so special about this tuber - reviewer ? Why did you feel the urge to make a separate thread about him when we have already 3 or 4 ongoing discussions about ME:A.

He is nothing more than one of the dozens who jumped on the ME:A hate bandwagon in search for some extra subs and likes. When this trend becomes old news he will hop on the next bandwagon like the lot if his kind.

The fact that he designates a game like ME:A as a money grab speaks for itself. Hyperbole and out of proportion approach in extremis.

If you want a real game review go watch TotalBiscuit. He talks about the games pros and cons in a comprehensive and cohesive manner. Of course his video is almost 2 hours long and this poses a problem for many of today's gamers.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Distopia said:
    Sovrath said:
    Distopia said:
    Draemos said:

Yet Skyrim with far worse game-play, got 10's. As much as I love Skyrim and the TES series proper, there's no arguing IMO that they don't get a free pass on that type of stuff, especially compared to others, due to popularity. 
    I suppose it depends on what you are looking for. I think Skyrim's game play is great as far as allowing me to explore large open spaces with interesting places.

Dragon's Dogma has better combat (in my opinion) and the detail in the fights (harpies lifting you up, monsters grabbing you, being able to climb a dragon in flight, etc is superior to Skyrim. But the world isn't superior (though it could have been. To that end if they actually allowed modding like the elder scrolls games it would have been crazy good).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Skyrim released quite a while ago and set a new standard for what an open world should be like, but it does have fairly boring story and characters IMO.  Most people were having fun just exploring the open world, but I think many people tire of it similar to how people tire of doing quests in MMORPGs.  If Skyrim was released today it wouldn't receive the high ratings it got.  Fallout 4 is a good example of this.  Its main saving grace is it has modding, but that is only important if people are interested in making and using mods.   People haven't been nearly as active in terms of making mods for Skyrim Enhanced Edition and Fallout 4 as they were for Skyrim.

I don't think the Witcher's 3 combat was clunky.  My only complaint about the game was its many points of interest.  Most of the side quests were well delivered in terms of bringing the player into the game.  We may not see a game made that achieves this again anytime soon.  Interestingly it was made by a company that isn't very diverse and it doesn't have much diversity in terms of ethnicity in the game.  By contrast, Bioware's new Mass Effect game is made by a very diverse company that is very PC.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    I'd hardly call ME:A a PC game. It is plagued with all the interface problems console games have when ported.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited March 2017
    I didn't find it that bad really.  I think really they should have just made dead faced characters like most RPG and it wouldn't have been as awkward.  The combat and sounds were good to me.  I have to play beyond the trail to get a feel for the story.

I couldn't play DA: Inquisition until I played WoW and got into MMO mode again.  I am now fine with the story after getting over being turned off by the MMO style gameplay before.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Mass Effect Andromeda is the definition of a true 7/10. Not a games media bell-curved 7/10 that is actually a 5/10. A real 7/10. A great game with unfortunate flaws that do not undermine its strengths, but do hold the game back from the excellence it deserves. 

Fuck Manveer Heir. He's an irrelevant, racist knob. But he isn't worth judging the game for.

The animations are godawful, and that's a crying shame. It's the difference between a 7 and an 8. 

The game has many UI annoyances and gameplay inconviences, and that really hurts the experience. That's the difference between an 8 and a 9. 

The story and characters are good, but do not in any way measure up to the legacy characters. I like Jaal, but he's no Garrus. I like Peebee, but she's no Liara. I like Vetra, but she's no Tali. I like Cora but sh- well, she's a hell of a lot better than Ashley. 

It's a hard game to rate. Hideous characters are countered by beautiful worlds. Largely mundane quests are countered by stellar combat and character building. There's a lot on offer here, and to call Mass Effect Andromeda a bad game is a criminally stupid opinion. But I'll be damned if it isn't disappointing. It's a great game that I will happily pour many more hours into, but it could have and should have been so much more.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    edited March 2017
    I don't disagree with what he said, but the game isn't completely terrible. Buggy, some bad design choices, terrible UI, hit and miss writing with some really cringe moments; sure. But the story is decent if a little weak and at least somewhat enjoyable.

Probably the most unforgivable thing is the cash grab in the crap multiplayer. Seriously, Bioware? You deserve a lot of hate for that.

I'd give it a score of 60-65 after 20 hours. I'm glad I didn't pay for it though. I would probably be more annoyed if it hadn't been a gift.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I think this is a pretty reasonable analysis of what went wrong with the animations: https://nowloading.co/p/what-went-wrong-with-mass-effect-andromeda-faces/4227796

It makes me wonder why they set a noob team onto one of the most beloved and important rpg franchises ever made.

However, I do think the writer is downplaying just how hideous/dopey they made female Ryder. I can certainly see how many people would come to conclusions like this: 

or this:

Really Bioware should just fix it. They advertised the game using the female Ryder - how that doped out fugly abomination could get past any semi-sentient QA is beyond me. Players are obviously gonna go apeshit over that; its almost surreal that no one at Bioware pulled up such an obvious gaff.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I have not purchased the game yet, still grooving on Zelda

I'm sure there are some completely valid criticisms concerning Andromeda but there also seems to be a lot of superficial bullshit.

I mean come on.... does everybody have to look like a movie star or the game is not fun.

Really?

I'll be picking the game up in the not too distant future.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2017
    Aeander said:
    Mass Effect Andromeda is the definition of a true 7/10. Not a games media bell-curved 7/10 that is actually a 5/10. A real 7/10. A great game with unfortunate flaws that do not undermine its strengths, but do hold the game back from the excellence it deserves. 

Fuck Manveer Heir. He's an irrelevant, racist knob. But he isn't worth judging the game for.

The animations are godawful, and that's a crying shame. It's the difference between a 7 and an 8. 

The game has many UI annoyances and gameplay inconviences, and that really hurts the experience. That's the difference between an 8 and a 9. 

The story and characters are good, but do not in any way measure up to the legacy characters. I like Jaal, but he's no Garrus. I like Peebee, but she's no Liara. I like Vetra, but she's no Tali. I like Cora but sh- well, she's a hell of a lot better than Ashley. 

It's a hard game to rate. Hideous characters are countered by beautiful worlds. Largely mundane quests are countered by stellar combat and character building. There's a lot on offer here, and to call Mass Effect Andromeda a bad game is a criminally stupid opinion. But I'll be damned if it isn't disappointing. It's a great game that I will happily pour many more hours into, but it could have and should have been so much more.
    I think that's a fair assessment. It's a very good game and I'm enjoying it a lot - especially the core gameplay elements, combat and setting,

But I don't really get too hung-up on credible scores because personal preferences influence those numbers. I have respect for any reviewer that scores this between a 6 and 9... maybe some liked combat more and some liked it less and the same goes for the stories, the looks, the tolerance of facial animations, dislike of the nested folder interface (I'm so used to using the "M" key as a map toggle that I find not being able to hit "M" again to quit the map annoying in the extreme... nearly 100 hrs later I still find myself trying to use M to close it) ...

I also have to say that this is the best technically behaved game on my PC that I have played in years... 0 crashes after a week despite lots of alt-tabs and having all the graphics settings maxed. That deserves special mention because IMO, it's so rare.

But anything below 6 or above 9, I consider suspect. It's a good game but not a perfect 10 and certainly not the moronic metabomb user 0.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

laserit said:

I'm sure there are some completely valid criticisms concerning Andromeda but there also seems to be a lot of superficial bullshit.

I mean come on.... does everybody have to look like a movie star or the game is not fun.

Really?

Agreed after two hours with the trial tonight I can say i certainly will purchase ME:A. Most animations don't last long enough IMO to even notice in conversations as the camera is constantly changing angles. Look away for a second and you miss them entirely. The rest of the game makes up for any of that kind of issue. TBH the worst thing I've seen so far was one voice over being quite painful, can't recall his name bu t it's the Salarian you talk to about being a pathfinder when you reach the nexus. Other than that I find the game to be pretty good. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Distopia said:
    laserit said:

Really?

Agreed after two hours with the trial tonight I can say i certainly will purchase ME:A. Most animations don't last long enough IMO to even notice in conversations as the camera is constantly changing angles. Look away for a second and you miss them entirely. The rest of the game makes up for any of that kind of issue. TBH the worst thing I've seen so far was one voice over being quite painful, can't recall his name bu t it's the Salarian you talk to about being a pathfinder when you reach the nexus. Other than that I find the game to be pretty good. 
    Yeah I forget what Tarn said exactly but at the end of that first conversation with him he tries to be sarcastic and it's really overdone while pitching his voice higher... it's a one-of... the rest of the conversations you have with him are more normal.... although he still is an annoying bureaucrat :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    All these complaints.....yet here I am enjoying the game tremendously.

I get the feeling everyone is overreacting because its EA/Bioware? I dont know.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    BizkitNL said:
    All these complaints.....yet here I am enjoying the game tremendously.

I get the feeling everyone is overreacting because its EA/Bioware? I dont know.
    It's more like pigeon poop on a freshly cleaned car. Can't avoid be annoyed by it, can't help yourself staring at it each time you look at your car.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

I see you still have an axe to grind with a game you haven't even played.  
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Personally for me, anyone that hasn't played the game I give two shits about their opinions, don't care how many streams you have watched etc...

With that said yes the facial animations are bad, plain simple truth.  The eyes are the part that is the worst and one of the parts that is actually the hardest to get right in any game.  As far as attractiveness goes I could care less, every person has a different idea of what is attractive and what isn't.  Do I think the main female Ryder is attractive without changing, no I don't but somewhere in the world someone does think so.  What does it matter when you can change it yourself to something you like.  If you were locked into the one face then yeah bigger problem.  As far as the animations go nothing you can do about them but sit back and laugh.

Overall I have enjoyed the game and the only bug I have found so far with 3 planets done in total, every quest offered at that point many above 100% planet completion, are when I used a sniper rifle out of range to kill target because the scripts don't kick in then.  Stopped doing that reloaded when it happened fix the bug.  They just need to go back and recode the script to activate when someone comes into range instead of killing something in range.  Does kinda take some of the fun out of sniping when that is your play style like mine. 

Again for me without looking at the stupid animations, which don't effect me at all personally, just make me laugh, I would give this game a 7.5 or an 8 myself.  It has given me many hours of enjoyment right now and I haven't even really jumped into multiplayer side yet which will give me many more hours of enjoyment once I finish the single player.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    While I agree with most (all?) being said in the movie, I am enjoying the game. Not because it's a Mass Effect game (hell, they could have called if ANYTHING because it has almost NOTHING to do with Mass Effect thanks to the new galaxy), but because I'm playing it as a GENERIC space game. If you drop the idea of Mass Effect: Andromeda being a Mass Effect game, the game really is a lot of fun. Having attached the lable Mass Effect to it only shows how desperate BioWare/EA had to sell the game to make a profit from it (the IP sells well, this game if named anything else would most likely not...) 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The game is not the worst game possible, but its not great, and as someone who even bought ME:3 despite everything, i had hoped for a good game, the problem is, Mass Effect has always been about the storylines, the combat in ME:A is an improvement over the previous versions, but the animations, the storylines, and the shear fugliness of the characters in the game, its a personal deal breaker, that they actually patched the female ryder to make her uglier is beyond comprehension, and after watching all the video's and listening to a multitude of reviews and opinions, i came to the conclusion that ME:A is not the game for me, despite being a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, if anything that might actually be the main problem, i wanted a mass effect game, and this was not it. O.o
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

Wow, that was an amazing analysis, well worth watching.
    Phry said:
    The game is not the worst game possible, but its not great, and as someone who even bought ME:3 despite everything, i had hoped for a good game, the problem is, Mass Effect has always been about the storylines, the combat in ME:A is an improvement over the previous versions, but the animations, the storylines, and the shear fugliness of the characters in the game, its a personal deal breaker, that they actually patched the female ryder to make her uglier is beyond comprehension, and after watching all the video's and listening to a multitude of reviews and opinions, i came to the conclusion that ME:A is not the game for me, despite being a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, if anything that might actually be the main problem, i wanted a mass effect game, and this was not it. O.o
    Haven't played long enough to know if it's great overall or not, what I can say though is it has some great RP mechanics so far, it's like a Star Trek fans wet dream really. It really does give off that vibe of exploring the unknown, much more than most Star Trek games have. Things like scanning things you find in the environment for it's biotic signature/intel  are really nice touches. I could certainly get lost in this world for quite some time, which isn't really my feeling on the series proper (far too singularly focused on the story for me). 

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Entering any thread on this game is tiring as all frak. Most of the people dissing the game base their opinions on let's plays and selected gifs and do so out of some misguided sense of competition with companies like CDprojekt, which really don't need their fanboyism in the first place.

I  played the game for 12 hours straight on sunday and it's been a great experience overall. Not without it's faults: yes some facial animations look really bad (nowhere near as omnipresent as all the haters make it out to be) and yes some of the dialogue really misses the bar.

But overall the gameplay is much improved, the game looks very good and the story is overall enjoyable. It's not gonna be a legendary genre-defining experience, but definitely a fun ride.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!