Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Make death penalty inversely proportional to the challenge

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
I've sometimes said that the problem with a harsh death penalty is that it deters players from attempting anything challenging.  If something is hard enough that you have a 50% chance of failure, and the cost of that failure greatly exceeds the rewards for winning, the the expected value of attempting the challenge is a large net loss for you.  Instead, you'll be pushed to stick to things where you're virtually guaranteed to win.

The solution to this is to make the death penalty for failing on hard things very light.  But that doesn't mean that the death penalty in a game has to be universally very light.

In PVP ranking systems, we understand this.  For example, if a college football team takes on the #1 team in the country and loses a close game, they're not going to precipitously tumble down the rankings.  Lose to a mediocre team and you might well find yourself unranked in a hurry.  But the rewards for beating a top tier team are correspondingly much greater than winning a guarantee game against some team from a lower division.

The same can be applied to death penalties in MMORPGs.  Die to elite mobs, or in group content, or to something far above your level, and get a mild slap on the hand, perhaps less than the implicit cost of having to run back from where you respawn.  Die in solo content designed for your current level and face a somewhat harsher penalty.  Die to mobs far below your level and get hammered with the loss of hours of progress--but this takes screwing up badly enough that real players hardly ever do it.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    It make some sense, older MMOs did it another way though: they balanced the rewards against the challenge (including the death penalty).

I usually worked back then but now most games don't have any death penalty and the challenge on none raid content have dropped a lot so it rarely work now.

I think you should balance things on all 3 parameters if you want a floating death penalty, so some challenging stuff could still have a pretty tough death penalty but then it would offer better loot so at one end you have the easiest stuff where dying cost you and the loot ain't good while the hardest stuff have good loot and low death penalty.

I agree with how you are thinking, players should be encouraged to try the harder stuff but you don't want them the roam the easy content not caring if they die or not.

We could of course discuss exactly how the death penalty should work (I am partial to a percent chance of losing an equipped gear, close to zero at the hardest stuff but high at the top one myself, it would be easy to implement and scare people way more then XP loss and with your idea we wouldn't see stupid stuff like players wearing crap stuff to hard content).

Anyways, good idea. :proud:
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    I want the death penalty to simply be plausible,the type of combat or challenge should have zero bearing on death.

Let's be honest there is NO death,so let's call it a KO status.

So what is being KO'd like in real life?Wobbly knees,dizzy,feint .weak,possibly stunned/out for 2-10 seconds and the after affect is weaker in every fashion from strength to reflexes,dexterity etc etc.So that is how it should be treated and the result should mimic it as such.
    Yes there is some plausible realism in a ghost like shard sort of idea but to me that idea is old and boring.
    If you really died your gear would drop,so then any player or mob could come by and take it.I can't remember what game i played but the mobs would actually take your gear,then when you came back you could hunt them down,kill them and that same gear would drop so you could reclaim your lost gear.
    I like to feel a game has integrity,so i don't want players to make a mockery of death,treating it like it is meaningless,i like to see a real impact.So no ghost runs but instead perhaps you revive in the nearest church in a city.That long run back with no gear would have an impact so that players will show some care in how they play.If dying carries no penalty then players will just challenge to the very maximum because they know they have nothing to lose.
    When you have nothing to lose,it is NOT a challenge.it is gifted easy mode.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Loke666 said:
    It make some sense, older MMOs did it another way though: they balanced the rewards against the challenge (including the death penalty).

I usually worked back then but now most games don't have any death penalty and the challenge on none raid content have dropped a lot so it rarely work now.

I think you should balance things on all 3 parameters if you want a floating death penalty, so some challenging stuff could still have a pretty tough death penalty but then it would offer better loot so at one end you have the easiest stuff where dying cost you and the loot ain't good while the hardest stuff have good loot and low death penalty.

I agree with how you are thinking, players should be encouraged to try the harder stuff but you don't want them the roam the easy content not caring if they die or not.

We could of course discuss exactly how the death penalty should work (I am partial to a percent chance of losing an equipped gear, close to zero at the hardest stuff but high at the top one myself, it would be easy to implement and scare people way more then XP loss and with your idea we wouldn't see stupid stuff like players wearing crap stuff to hard content).

One problem is that the hard content and the easy content might be exactly the same content but with the player merely coming in at different levels.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2017
    Wizardry said:
    I want the death penalty to simply be plausible,the type of combat or challenge should have zero bearing on death.

So what is being KO'd like in real life?Wobbly knees,dizzy,feint .weak,possibly stunned/out for 2-10 seconds and the after affect is weaker in every fashion from strength to reflexes,dexterity etc etc.So that is how it should be treated and the result should mimic it as such.
    Yes there is some plausible realism in a ghost like shard sort of idea but to me that idea is old and boring.
    If you really died your gear would drop,so then any player or mob could come by and take it.I can't remember what game i played but the mobs would actually take your gear,then when you came back you could hunt them down,kill them and that same gear would drop so you could reclaim your lost gear.
    I like to feel a game has integrity,so i don't want players to make a mockery of death,treating it like it is meaningless,i like to see a real impact.So no ghost runs but instead perhaps you revive in the nearest church in a city.That long run back with no gear would have an impact so that players will show some care in how they play.If dying carries no penalty then players will just challenge to the very maximum because they know they have nothing to lose.
    Thats UO that does that and its a fantastic feature that other games should follow , when a mob kills you , it loots you .. Then you have to(get rezzes by healer if no friend is near by , find your corpse Loot it ) then, hunt it down before someone else does also ... UO system just talking PVE (for this discussion)is still great .. also in addition the Karma loss which will drop a a very hard earned title , if you die to something easy the Karma hit is quite harsh , The system that Quizzical is speaking of is already in place in UO in that way
    Quizzical said:
    Loke666 said:

One problem is that the hard content and the easy content might be exactly the same content but with the player merely coming in at different levels.
    Indeed, that is why I like the formula for losing an item since you can change that easily depending on levels (after all are there already color code to most mobs depending if they are over or under you).

With a good formula based on level and a difficulty factor you can get it right. Number of players in a group also factor in when you are in the open world. Needs some balancing work to get things right of course and you could even have a death penalty meter in the UI to scare players even more.

You could of course use a similar method for XP loss instead, but it is not nearly as scary as losing something good. And the chance to loose something is way more exciting then always losing it.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    That is an interesting idea, I wonder how hard it would be to actually implement. If someone is attacked by 3 things and two are equal and one is much lower and they kill the two equal and then die to the lower what will the results be.  My guess the goal would be to have the moderate penalty, but how hard would that be to verify in the code. 

Or in situations where someone tries to gank someone and they get killed by a  very low level mob.

I am not sure how much it would actually appeal to players as a mechanic or feature though.  I also don't know who would be interested in this.  The people who like harsh death penalties may not think it fits them.  The people who don't want death penalties at all probably won't like it either. 

Death penalties that go against the standard are kind of niche.  I am not sure if there would be much of a market for this type of idea. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• infiniti70infiniti70 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Wizardry said:

When you have nothing to lose,it is NOT a challenge.it is gifted easy mode.
    Old old MMO called "the Realm" would have you drop gear to Mobs, have to chase down a damn rat to get it back or another player would kill the mob and get your stuff.  Players would also feed Mobs gear and call out for a scavenger hunt for the newbs. Pretty good community years ago. 

• BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    no death penalties
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Why should dying to something lower than you cause you a massive penalty?  Usually what that meant for me is that someone rang the doorbell, I went downstairs to receive a package or something and came back to find myself dead.  Real Life does not always allow for a graceful exit of a game and to penalize someone massively because a lucky kobold got to hit you 47 times while you were in the bathroom or something is not my idea of a good system.
    centkin said:
    Why should dying to something lower than you cause you a massive penalty?  Usually what that meant for me is that someone rang the doorbell, I went downstairs to receive a package or something and came back to find myself dead.  Real Life does not always allow for a graceful exit of a game and to penalize someone massively because a lucky kobold got to hit you 47 times while you were in the bathroom or something is not my idea of a good system.
    To keep you focused on the game instead of a bunch of other stuff. Yeah, IRL situations will give you a loss at times but so will  it for everyone.

If you have a constant harsh death penalty people wont bother about the hard stuff unless the rewards are exceptional. If you don't have any death penalty people wont care if they die and not really bother to learn the game.  

You can always avoid the incredible easy content this way and get little loss if something forces you to leave without logging off or have a buddy guard you.
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:
    Thats UO that does that and its a fantastic feature that other games should follow , when a mob kills you , it loots you .. Then you have to(get rezzes by healer if no friend is near by , find your corpse Loot it ) then, hunt it down before someone else does also ... UO system just talking PVE (for this discussion)is still great .. also in addition the Karma loss which will drop a a very hard earned title , if you die to something easy the Karma hit is quite harsh , The system that Quizzical is speaking of is already in place in UO in that way
    Lineage did something like this too. If you died while "lawful" (in the reputation alignment spectrum) you almost never dropped anything but it was possible. If you were "chaotic" (from PK) then you would drop stuff right and left. Often the mob killing you would pick up the gear, or it might lay there for anyone to pick up, or a wandering slime might pick it up and consume it after a few minutes.
    Really? I just noticed that I lost an item every third time or so and I once looted a lvl 39 sword from a rabbit at a beach (I was like lvl 7-8 myself).

But yeah, I did and still do think it was the best death penalty system I seen in any MMO. But I played mainly in the western beta and part of the toolkit were still in Korean back then so I missed the aligment points (and the while I played after I probably didn't pay so much attention, I felt I knew the game or something similar stupid).

I don't know if I were that chaotic but I never killed a single other player that didn't deserve it besides in pledgewars.
    The Korean noob gankers at the docks and in the elven crafting cave was a different matter (evil grin), not that all of them were Korean or that I killed anyone for their language but an rather large part of the gankers did move from the Korean client to get easy prey.
    Here is another death penalty idea that would at least scare the crap out of me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA1HVaupDyw#t=110.132848 

Yep, not seriously but it would make even the harshest death penalty fan cry.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Depend on game , for old MMORPG exp punishment , it's suck . Cause it only work as extra time consuming.

Best death penalty is arcade games . You dead , you lost money .

for MMORPG , no death penalty is best penalty . Though it depend on game , penalty is best tool to keep game world run good .
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I believe the classic "death" system in games is beyond archaic, it's ridiculous. Why go to the effort of making a realistic game then have you die so easy, then run back and loot your own body. In some bizarre twilight zone setting, sure, but RPGs are basically mean to be the ultimate choose your own story. Having an instant redo is an option, but it interrupts the flow of the story.

Look at what happens when characters in movies fail. When Luke failed to notice the Wompa he was captured, and had a chance to escape. His penalty for failure was getting side tracked and delayed. Later when he failed in his fight against Darth Vader his failure cost him a hand. Now that is what we need in games.

I'm sure any psychologist will tell you you don't need to punish someone for failure, the failure is a punishment in itself. Death penalties and death scenes are the game trolling the player. Might as well have the game say "You suck newb! Ha ha ha ha! Loser!".

Who cares how it was done before, or is being done now, we should forget that and ask how should it be done?
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I like the idea but as a couple others have said would be a nightmare to code.  Also what one person thinks is challenging may be cake to someone else.  I know I have soloed a lot of things I heard groups crying about in some games myself.  Even with doing something like gearscores it still wouldn't work that well as again it is about the personal idea of challenge.  You could have someone who has a great gear score but really slow reflexes so it becomes a nightmare for that player, while someone with crappy gear but good reflexes wouldn't care less, unless it was turn based, which nothing is anymore.  This is one of those ideas that I love in thought but not in actual reality.  Again I do like the idea of rewarding players for trying out more difficult things, but not sure how you would be able to achieve that across the board with the desired results, without hurting other players in the long run.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited March 2017
    I believe the classic "death" system in games is beyond archaic, it's ridiculous. Why go to the effort of making a realistic game then have you die so easy, then run back and loot your own body. In some bizarre twilight zone setting, sure, but RPGs are basically mean to be the ultimate choose your own story. Having an instant redo is an option, but it interrupts the flow of the story.

Look at what happens when characters in movies fail. When Luke failed to notice the Wompa he was captured, and had a chance to escape. His penalty for failure was getting side tracked and delayed. Later when he failed in his fight against Darth Vader his failure cost him a hand. Now that is what we need in games.

I'm sure any psychologist will tell you you don't need to punish someone for failure, the failure is a punishment in itself. Death penalties and death scenes are the game trolling the player. Might as well have the game say "You suck newb! Ha ha ha ha! Loser!".

Who cares how it was done before, or is being done now, we should forget that and ask how should it be done?
    If you are going to use SW movies as examples of how penalties for failure don't look at one from the late 70s.

Lets use Rogue, where almost every character permanently died, whether they "succeeded" or failed in their objectives.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    @Quizzical

I agree, that the death penalty should by dynamic and be determined on the challenge. Below is working Death Penalty I have been developing.

In the vast array of new age mmos, we have been seeing death penalties being mitigated. There is no incentive to stay alive. Item durability seems to be the common trend or no death penality at all. I am biased and believe that a death penality consititutes an incentive to stay alive and better players come out of that. When you wipe in groups with no death penalty, whoopdee dooo. Who cares? Right? Only real penalty is time wasted running back to the instanced or where ever you died.

I have came up with a compromise that shoots for the median of a strict death penality and a not so costly death penalty.

I think loss of experience should be scaled within the level of the character and the mob they are fighting or environmental death. Here is an example of character to mob scaling.

- If you die from a target that is within the same level from 1-3 levels of you, you will loose 7% experience.

- If you die from target that is within 3-6 levels of you, you will loose 5% experience

- If you die from a target that is 7-10+ levels of you, you will loose 3% experience.

- If you die from environment, you will loose a static of 5% experience.

As you can see, you will lose more experience for mobs that are within your level range. Why? Because you're at their correspond discipline level. The fights are balanced. You lose less experience when you die from higher levels mobs because of your "level of discipline" is not equal to their discipline. It's like saying, are you on the discipline level of Bruce Lee in which you have an equal chance at a victory? Absolutely not. I believe if experience loss is valued as a death penalty it needs to be fair in a pve standpoint.

Another attribute that is taken into consideration is a cap of experience loss.

- Loss of experience will cease once you accumulate 100% death experience lost.

- To accumulate to that 100% interval, the percentage will add every time you die based on the character to mob scaling ratio.

- Example: You die from a mob that is within 2 levels of you, then 1 level of you, then 6 levels of you, then 10 levels of you all in a row. How much experience have you accumulated? To figure this out, the computer will add the the static amount of xp loss per level of mob which will equal to the sum.

2 levels within you = 7% xp loss -- 1 level of you = 7% xp loss -- 6 levels from you = 5% xp loss -- 10 levels from you = 3% xp loss. By this process a player has accumulated 22% death experience lost. This means you have 78% experience to loose until it's capped.

- Also, once you have capped out with 100% death experience lost, that would probably equal out to loosing one level. Essentially this means you can't loose more than one level.

I also think item durability should also play a role into a death penalty, but only in a minute form.

So what happens when you have capped to 100%? I would propose the last line of penalties should increase the value of durability taken from hits by double. Meaning your armor will break twice as fast.

I would say this would be a fair assessment on the Death Penalty if we used loss of XP as the means. I would be in favor of such Death Penalty. 

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I'm ok with that idea. I might argue at the numbers though.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Since the death penalty has traditionally been a loss of experience that was essentially a time penalty, why not simply delay the respawn by some time.  This immediately combats issues with zerging (that come from the death-respawn mechanism).

I would activate 2 timers on death.  The first timer would be the delay before the character would respawn, the second timer would represent a vulnerability.  The first timer would start when the character died.  The second timer would start when the character was actually respawned.  If the character dies before the vulnerability timer expires, the next timers would be longer.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

ikcin said:

That is in general ineffective. Obviously if your character does respawn you cannot play the game. So even the time between should be fulfilled with some playable content. And that time can not be long, as the content should be without rewards. If there is rewards this is not a penalty. That is why the jail systems in the MMORPGs are simply stupid idea.

In fact the existence of such systems as death penalties shows how incompetent the developers could be. They often mistake the RP features with the gameplay mechanisms.

So the loss of experience or/and gear is a more effective way to implement a death penalty. In addition for fair PvP and competition in the PvE there should be some delay. But it cannot be longer than 5-10 min, and that time should be filled with playable content.

A jail system also could be implemented, but as a RP feature. For example if a player with  outlaw status or a spy profession is caught in action.

Yeah, I wonder about those prisons too, in some cases you can get loot and good stuff in them and that surely doesn't sound like a penalty to me.

The 5-10 minutes is good if it is the type of game where you don't need or can't have alts but if you have 10 character slots a character could be on cooldown far longer, play an alt until your character is playable again (but we all know the F2P games would sell instant revive orbs for a buck each). I think 6-8 hours could work in a game like that unless another player rezzes you.

The only problem as I see it is that dungeon and raid groups would have too long time meaning that having a player die mean you would need to get in another player, an alt of the same player or quit.  
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Having your customer not able to play the game is a sure way to lose a customer.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Kyleran said:

If you are going to use SW movies as examples of how penalties for failure don't look at one from the late 70s.

Lets use Rogue, where almost every character permanently died, whether they "succeeded" or failed in their objectives.

;)
    I was using examples that potentially worked for game play ideas. Unless you are into extreme permadeath you wouldn't want to play Game of Thrones Online if it was anything like the shows o_O
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Loke666 said:
    ikcin said:

That is in general ineffective. Obviously if your character does respawn you cannot play the game. So even the time between should be fulfilled with some playable content. And that time can not be long, as the content should be without rewards. If there is rewards this is not a penalty. That is why the jail systems in the MMORPGs are simply stupid idea.

In fact the existence of such systems as death penalties shows how incompetent the developers could be. They often mistake the RP features with the gameplay mechanisms.

So the loss of experience or/and gear is a more effective way to implement a death penalty. In addition for fair PvP and competition in the PvE there should be some delay. But it cannot be longer than 5-10 min, and that time should be filled with playable content.

A jail system also could be implemented, but as a RP feature. For example if a player with  outlaw status or a spy profession is caught in action.

Yeah, I wonder about those prisons too, in some cases you can get loot and good stuff in them and that surely doesn't sound like a penalty to me.

The 5-10 minutes is good if it is the type of game where you don't need or can't have alts but if you have 10 character slots a character could be on cooldown far longer, play an alt until your character is playable again (but we all know the F2P games would sell instant revive orbs for a buck each). I think 6-8 hours could work in a game like that unless another player rezzes you.

The only problem as I see it is that dungeon and raid groups would have too long time meaning that having a player die mean you would need to get in another player, an alt of the same player or quit.  
    I think a sort of Valhalla or Purgatory could be a neat go-between.  The catch is that there needs to be fun things to do in those zones, be it drinking games, hunting, archery target practice, or whatever else.

I tend to agree with the side that says any time you make someone's character unplayable is a quick way to lose a customer.  But, if you could keep them playing in an alternate(content, not character) sense, you could probably make it work.

As for raids/dungeons and such, I would assume in those cases that being rezzed by others would ignore those respawn timers and bring you right back to the group.