A Living Legacy: Designing Chronicles of Elyria (PAX East 2017 Presentation)

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,162
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    I see people on this forum don't understand what sarcasm is :D
    More like you CoE people can't detect when there is more than just 1 feeling and intention involved.

If you could you would see Caspian as the blatant liar he is.
    Ok. I'll bite. Why exactly are you going around telling people I'm a liar?
    Maybe because your KS promised something different from what you are saying now?
    Can you elaborate? I went through the Kickstarter write-up and video again and all the mechanics described are being implemented exactly as described.

I'm curious to know what you perceive is not the same between our Kickstarter and what we're saying now. 
    You claimed that people will get a full game for the Kickstarter money.
    Now all they get is a tech demo of a Tomb Raider clone.
     So I am obviously here to convert people
    What else is there to say?
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound Studios Issaquah, WAMember UncommonPosts: 132
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    More like you CoE people can't detect when there is more than just 1 feeling and intention involved.

Maybe because your KS promised something different from what you are saying now?
    Can you elaborate? I went through the Kickstarter write-up and video again and all the mechanics described are being implemented exactly as described.

I'm curious to know what you perceive is not the same between our Kickstarter and what we're saying now. 
    Hi Dakeru,

We committed to delivering a full MMO with the features laid out in our Kickstarter, and that hasn't changed. You're calling me a liar for allegedly saying one thing and delivering another, and yet...I'm asserting that we're still delivering exactly what we said we would. 

At this point, I'm not sure what I can do to convince you I'm not a liar. It sounds like it may just be easier for you to believe I am. It's certainly easier for you to go around saying I am - especially wearing your cloak of internet anonymity. If we fail for some reason, then you can claim without any basis that we lied to the world and everyone will commiserate with you. If we succeed, nobody is going to remember or care that you went around calling us liars for a year. So I guess either way, bad-mouthing developers is a win-win for you.

It's unfortunate, but there's the reality. For some reason, the cool kids these days are the ones who trash-talk developers - people and gamers just like them who are working hard to create entertainment for everyone. It's disgusting to see a team of artist, designers, animators, and engineers working so hard and so passionately to bring Chronicles of Elyria to life, only to stop by MMORPG.com and see this vitriol slung at them and me; especially when there's no basis in truth.

In any case, Soulbound Studios has grown from a team of three to over 20, we're making appearances at PAX and GDC - both in our own booths and with our partners. And most importantly, we're showing constant, continuous progress. 

And, while it may not seem like it to most, we're significantly further along than most MMO companies were at our current length of development. You may not agree with our strategy of releasing three smaller pre-alpha experiences to players as part of the larger development, for the purpose of getting early player feedback, but our desire to do so is rooted in proven development strategies. And in the end, how we go about developing and releasing the MMO has nothing to do with your belief that I/we lied to players. We didn't. We're still 100% committed to the product we laid out in our Kickstarter, and the employees of Soulbound Studios come into the office every day, excited to be working on it.
    Whayel
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

Hi Dakeru,

We committed to delivering a full MMO with the features laid out in our Kickstarter, and that hasn't changed. You're calling me a liar for allegedly saying one thing and delivering another, and yet...I'm asserting that we're still delivering exactly what we said we would. 

At this point, I'm not sure what I can do to convince you I'm not a liar. It sounds like it may just be easier for you to believe I am. It's certainly easier for you to go around saying I am - especially wearing your cloak of internet anonymity. If we fail for some reason, then you can claim without any basis that we lied to the world and everyone will commiserate with you. If we succeed, nobody is going to remember or care that you went around calling us liars for a year. So I guess either way, bad-mouthing developers is a win-win for you.

It's unfortunate, but there's the reality. For some reason, the cool kids these days are the ones who trash-talk developers - people and gamers just like them who are working hard to create entertainment for everyone. It's disgusting to see a team of artist, designers, animators, and engineers working so hard and so passionately to bring Chronicles of Elyria to life, only to stop by MMORPG.com and see this vitriol slung at them and me; especially when there's no basis in truth.

In any case, Soulbound Studios has grown from a team of three to over 20, we're making appearances at PAX and GDC - both in our own booths and with our partners. And most importantly, we're showing constant, continuous progress. 

And, while it may not seem like it to most, we're significantly further along than most MMO companies were at our current length of development. You may not agree with our strategy of releasing three smaller pre-alpha experiences to players as part of the larger development, for the purpose of getting early player feedback, but our desire to do so is rooted in proven development strategies. And in the end, how we go about developing and releasing the MMO has nothing to do with your belief that I/we lied to players. We didn't. We're still 100% committed to the product we laid out in our Kickstarter, and the employees of Soulbound Studios come into the office every day, excited to be working on it.
    Your high talk only impresses your fans.

We will see your real worth by the end of the year.
    Whayel
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 10,778
    edited March 27
    Hi Dakeru,

You really need to learn how to talk to people...or just hire/let someone else to do it instead of you.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko JohannesburgMember EpicPosts: 6,542
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

Hi Dakeru,

Yes, you didn't "lie" on the KS page. You're much too canny for that.

You simply omitted some of the small niggly details. Like the fact that the KS campaign was going to fund a demo to present to prospective investors.

You didn't feel the need to mention that without the external investor financing the game will probably not be completed. Perhaps that's because you believe that there's no doubt you'll get the loans once you have the demo done. Or perhaps you felt that the KS would be more likely to reach its target if you didn't burden the prospective backers with "unnecessary doubts"... 

The end justifies the means, eh ? :lol:
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 73

I haven't watched a second of this presentation yet.  And I mean that literally.  I'm linking this here before I've watched any of it.

How about you save me the time?  Please, at your leisure, tell me everything that's wrong with whatever it is that's talked about during this video.  There's 49 minutes here.  So please, earn those "I was right" credits.  Drink it all in.

Quotes with time indexes are appreciated.  I want to know specifically why I suck for wanting this game to succeed.  I know I can count on you.  I know you won't disappoint me.  Thank you for your time.  :)
    I didn't watch the whole thing (watched his intro and skipped around) but I can easily answer your request:

This is a game still showing Dec 2017 as it's launch date and Sept 2017 for no wipe early access yet what we saw was over 40 minutes of PowerPoint slides.  I mean the first 2 minutes consisted of him telling the audience how great he was because he was a "story teller" and how important it was that he took psychology classes in college. 

The problem with this game and company has never been the ideas.  It has always been that they have unrealistically listed an amazing feature set in a ridiculously small development time to be delivered by developers with little experience in leading game development.  So far they have done nothing but reinforce that.

Hope that helps and answers your question.

PS:  For just $500k I promise that I will put together a feature list and 60 minute presentation that blows this one out of the water!!! Want to fund me?

Just wait until Ashes of Creation kicks it into high gear.  He's going to show how to market the shit out of an idea, a catch all feature list and some store bought assets.  You ain't seen nothing yet!
    Eh .... I guess I'll have to watch it myself.
    The tldr of my response: The presentation simply talks about concepts.  The question has never really been around their concepts.  It's always been around whether this small inexperienced team would be able to pull off such grandiose concepts with a fraction of the money and time most games take.

I watched more of it and nothing at all was said or shown that addresses that major point.  If I had a presentation that said "I think it sucks that humans age and die so I am going to spend the next 18 months creating a new treatment to reverse aging" most people would say that sounds great but it's simply not realistic.  

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/26/scientists-can-reverse-aging-in-mice

Luckily the minority say it's possible :)
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLMember EpicPosts: 7,196
    edited March 27
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

Hi Dakeru,

Didn't you have to apologize for "leaving out" the fact that you needed millions of dollars more from your Kickstarter page?

Pretty sure there were several articles about that on various sites.

Thats kind of a big thing to forget... and to me it speaks to either incompetence (you just forgot) or intentionally  misleading people.  Which was it?

Or should we discuss your obviously unreachable promised ETA?  3 month no wipe head start in September with full release in Dec? We just saw that ridiculous demo from PAX which shows you are nowhere near the Sept no wipe promised date. So either once again you were totally incompetent with your estimate or you intentionally mislead folks.  Which was it?  Personally I don't think you are a liar.  I think you honestly believe what you say.  I just think you're incompetent.  

I'll be happy to be proved wrong.  I think a large part of the issue (as others have said) is that your communication methods actually lead large portions of people to actively root against you.  I think you have MULTIPLE community management people on staff. Strongly suggest you focus on game development and let those folks manage communication. If you have the right people on your team you need to trust them to do their jobs.  

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

• SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 1,812
    edited March 28
    Jeromy ... I think you have a good game in you.  Maybe even a great one.  I wish you the best of luck and I will be there to celebrate with you should you succeed.  [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXMember EpicPosts: 5,167
    edited March 28
    In my opinion, it doesn't matter if they launched a finished product tomorrow or in 10 years. The game has fallen into the P2W category ever since kickstarter revealed it's tier content. I don't care how fabulous or amazing a game is, aka ArcheAge. If you are going to sell blatant advantages in order to fund your project, you prove you have no faith in your game or your company. If you don't trust in your own game to succeed, why should we?
    Post edited by Rhoklaw on

Let's keep the focus on the game and development team and not on our fellow forum posters.

Or in the words of the immortal Gold 5 "Stay on target!!"

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

edited March 28
    I think most everyone agrees that he should spend more time on his game and less telling the world about his psychology classes from college. 

Edit-  Hmm.. well this doesn't make a lot of sense since the messages above it were deleted.. but OH WELL!   
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on

• NildenNilden Canada, NBMember RarePosts: 2,162
    Rhoklaw said:
    In my opinion, it doesn't matter if they launched a finished product tomorrow or in 10 years. The game has fallen into the P2W category ever since kickstarter revealed it's tier content. I don't care how fabulous or amazing a game is, aka ArcheAge. If you are going to sell blatant advantages in order to fund your project, you prove you have no faith in your game or your company. If you don't trust in your own game to succeed, why should we?
    Totally agree.

Pay 2 King ruins it for me.

This looks like it's going to be just as crap as Shroud of the Avatar and that embarrassment had Richard Garriott and $10M behind it.

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon
    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

• NildenNilden Canada, NBMember RarePosts: 2,162
    Gdemami said:
    Hi Dakeru,

You really need to learn how to talk to people...or just hire/let someone else to do it instead of you.
      Can't believe I just agreed with a post by Captain LOL clicker.

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon
    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Where'd Jeromy go?

• RusqueRusque Las Vegas, NVMember RarePosts: 2,743
    Where'd Jeromy go?

He has a December release date to meet, duh. Gotta pound those keys, most amazing game ever won't just make itself!
    edited March 31
    Where'd Jeromy go?
    If you were in a no-win situation, where would you go?

There is nothing he could say that would satisfy the people who are angling for this game to fail.  Nothing.  I understand his compulsion to come here occasionally and try to join the discussion, but the best thing he can do is to ignore you and everyone like you.  Because addressing your concerns will do nothing for him or the game.  There is no scenario where you relent and he gets to proceed with game development in peace.  You're a provocateur.  And I say that with as much respect as is due.  You serve an important purpose, but you're not helping Jeromy make his game.  So he shouldn't focus on you.  He should ignore you.
    Post edited by SedrynTyros on
     He should ignore you.
    Funny you say that after you made this thread with the only purpose to lure out critical voices.
    Dakeru said:
     He should ignore you.
    Funny you say that after you made this thread with the only purpose to lure out critical voices.
    I agree, that is funny!  Probably more to me than you, since I can poke fun at you without it detracting from the game's development.  But I'm not Jeromy Walsh, so your point isn't relevant to what I said, is it?
    Dakeru said:
     He should ignore you.
    I agree, that is funny!  Probably more to me than you, since I can poke fun at you without it detracting from the game's development.  But I'm not Jeromy Walsh, so your point isn't relevant to what I said, is it?
    No it is just as funny to me.
    Just keep on trolling, it gives everyone a fair insight what they have to expect of the community of this "game".
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
     He should ignore you.
    Just keep on trolling, it gives everyone a fair insight what they have to expect of the community of this "game".
    You don't get to decide who's trolling, Dakeru.  The mods do that.  And they deleted just as many of your posts as they did mine during our last exchange.
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
     He should ignore you.
    You don't get to decide who's trolling, Dakeru.  The mods do that.  And they deleted just as many of your posts as they did mine during our last exchange.
    No actually the mods decide who to punish.
    The community decides for itself what is trolling.

And this whole thread .. 'Oh tell me how shit this presentation is!'
    'Lolol I made them say the game is shit. People are so predictable.'

No, it won't reflect well on the game and its community at all.
    So just keep going you are the best advertisment against this pile of lies and overpromises.
    edited March 31
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
     He should ignore you.
    No actually the mods decide who to punish.
    The community decides for itself what is trolling.

And this whole thread .. 'Oh tell me how shit this presentation is!'
    'Lolol I made them say the game is shit. People are so predictable.'

No, it won't reflect well on the game and its community at all.
    So just keep going you are the best advertisment against this pile of lies and overpromises.
    Well, as long as you remain rational and objective about it, I find it difficult to argue with you!
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Member UncommonPosts: 916
     I ain't got enough popcorn for this shit.
    Where'd Jeromy go?

There is nothing he could say that would satisfy the people who are angling for this game to fail.  Nothing.  I understand his compulsion to come here occasionally and try to join the discussion, but the best thing he can do is to ignore you and everyone like you.  Because addressing your concerns will do nothing for him or the game.  There is no scenario where you relent and he gets to proceed with game development in peace.  You're a provocateur.  And I say that with as much respect as is due.  You serve an important purpose, but you're not helping Jeromy make his game.  So he shouldn't focus on you.  He should ignore you.
    ORRRRRRR....  he could answer the questions.  It really shouldn't be ambiguous if the game is going to have their 3 month no wipe head start 5 months from now or if it's going to happen in 2019.   Go on the official forums and you find people who think this is a 2017 launch and other who think its a 2019 one.   When you sell something to customers, and you give them a date to exoect it, you should update them on that timeline.  I don't think that's too much to ask.  That's pretty basic stuff.  

You're right though, maybe that wouldn't help him sell the game in the short term.

As for provocateur... maybe.  I just believe that people should say what they mean and do what they say. When things go wrong and they can't they should humbly be apologizing and providing updates. When it's OBVIOUS that someone over promised I think they should be called on it.  In today's world maybe that's being provocative. If so, I fully accept that mantle.

edited April 1
    Where'd Jeromy go?

ORRRRRRR....  he could answer the questions.  It really shouldn't be ambiguous if the game is going to have their 3 month no wipe head start 5 months from now or if it's going to happen in 2019.   Go on the official forums and you find people who think this is a 2017 launch and other who think its a 2019 one.   When you sell something to customers, and you give them a date to exoect it, you should update them on that timeline.  I don't think that's too much to ask.  That's pretty basic stuff.  

You're right though, maybe that wouldn't help him sell the game in the short term.

As for provocateur... maybe.  I just believe that people should say what they mean and do what they say. When things go wrong and they can't they should humbly be apologizing and providing updates. When it's OBVIOUS that someone over promised I think they should be called on it.  In today's world maybe that's being provocative. If so, I fully accept that mantle.

I did acknowledge your value, let's not forget that!

The timeline .... I don't understand why so many of them overpromise, but they do. So why does Chronicles of Elyria get nailed to the cross over this?  I don't see why Chronicles of Elyria needs to be crucified for something almost every other MMO project in recent memory has been guilty of themselves.  Camelot Unchained is approaching 2 years beyond the original projected beta release.  2 fucking years!  Where are the pitch forks?  This is not unusual.