A Living Legacy: Designing Chronicles of Elyria (PAX East 2017 Presentation)

SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 1,996
edited March 23 in Chronicles of Elyria

I haven't watched a second of this presentation yet.  And I mean that literally.  I'm linking this here before I've watched any of it.

How about you save me the time?  Please, at your leisure, tell me everything that's wrong with whatever it is that's talked about during this video.  There's 49 minutes here.  So please, earn those "I was right" credits.  Drink it all in.

Quotes with time indexes are appreciated.  I want to know specifically why I suck for wanting this game to succeed.  I know I can count on you.  I know you won't disappoint me.  Thank you for your time.  :)
Post edited by SedrynTyros on

Comments

• craftseekercraftseeker kynetonMember RarePosts: 1,547
    The fact that you are already so jaded that you are not going to watch the video says it all really.
  • SedrynTyrosSedrynTyros USMember EpicPosts: 1,996
    The fact that you are already so jaded that you are not going to watch the video says it all really.
    Does it?  Elaborate.  Tell me what I'm missing and why it's so awful.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,236
    Think his point is you are lashing out on the people who don't believe in the dev team.
    At the same time you seem to have the same doubts as them.
  • Azrael_AntaryonAzrael_Antaryon Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I see people on this forum don't understand what sarcasm is :D
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Boca Raton, FLMember EpicPosts: 7,546
    edited March 23

I haven't watched a second of this presentation yet.  And I mean that literally.  I'm linking this here before I've watched any of it.

How about you save me the time?  Please, at your leisure, tell me everything that's wrong with whatever it is that's talked about during this video.  There's 49 minutes here.  So please, earn those "I was right" credits.  Drink it all in.

Quotes with time indexes are appreciated.  I want to know specifically why I suck for wanting this game to succeed.  I know I can count on you.  I know you won't disappoint me.  Thank you for your time.  :)
    I didn't watch the whole thing (watched his intro and skipped around) but I can easily answer your request:

This is a game still showing Dec 2017 as it's launch date and Sept 2017 for no wipe early access yet what we saw was over 40 minutes of PowerPoint slides.  I mean the first 2 minutes consisted of him telling the audience how great he was because he was a "story teller" and how important it was that he took psychology classes in college. 

The problem with this game and company has never been the ideas.  It has always been that they have unrealistically listed an amazing feature set in a ridiculously small development time to be delivered by developers with little experience in leading game development.  So far they have done nothing but reinforce that.

Hope that helps and answers your question.

PS:  For just $500k I promise that I will put together a feature list and 60 minute presentation that blows this one out of the water!!! Want to fund me?

Just wait until Ashes of Creation kicks it into high gear.  He's going to show how to market the shit out of an idea, a catch all feature list and some store bought assets.  You ain't seen nothing yet!
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko JohannesburgMember EpicPosts: 6,567
    I would actually be delighted if CoE delivers on it's promises.

My beef with the CoE dev team has always been over their ludicrous promised delivery dates. They also tend to make themselves look arrogant and amateurish in the way they go about things. It doesn't inspire confidence. At all.

Words count less than deeds. Unfortunately, their deeds have fallen waaay short of their fabulous words so far...
    More like you CoE people can't detect when there is more than just 1 feeling and intention involved.

If you could you would see Caspian as the blatant liar he is.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,025
    How to Design CoE tldr version:  Promise EVERYTHING.
    Dakeru said:
    More like you CoE people can't detect when there is more than just 1 feeling and intention involved.

Luckily for me, I am actually a good judge of character, unlike most people in our current western society. 

I didn't watch the whole thing (watched his intro and skipped around) but I can easily answer your request:

This is a game still showing Dec 2017 as it's launch date and Sept 2017 for no wipe early access yet what we saw was over 40 minutes of PowerPoint slides.  I mean the first 2 minutes consisted of him telling the audience how great he was because he was a "story teller" and how important it was that he took psychology classes in college. 

The problem with this game and company has never been the ideas.  It has always been that they have unrealistically listed an amazing feature set in a ridiculously small development time to be delivered by developers with little experience in leading game development.  So far they have done nothing but reinforce that.

PS:  For just $500k I promise that I will put together a feature list and 60 minute presentation that blows this one out of the water!!! Want to fund me?

Just wait until Ashes of Creation kicks it into high gear.  He's going to show how to market the shit out of an idea, a catch all feature list and some store bought assets.  You ain't seen nothing yet!
    Eh .... I guess I'll have to watch it myself.

The tldr of my response: The presentation simply talks about concepts.  The question has never really been around their concepts.  It's always been around whether this small inexperienced team would be able to pull off such grandiose concepts with a fraction of the money and time most games take.

I watched more of it and nothing at all was said or shown that addresses that major point.  If I had a presentation that said "I think it sucks that humans age and die so I am going to spend the next 18 months creating a new treatment to reverse aging" most people would say that sounds great but it's simply not realistic.  

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

The tldr of my response: The presentation simply talks about concepts.  The question has never really been around their concepts.  It's always been around whether this small inexperienced team would be able to pull off such grandiose concepts with a fraction of the money and time most games take.

I watched more of it and nothing at all was said or shown that addresses that major point.  If I had a presentation that said "I think it sucks that humans age and die so I am going to spend the next 18 months creating a new treatment to reverse aging" most people would say that sounds great but it's simply not realistic.  
    Gotcha.

It's probably all moot anyway.  If they don't secure more funding from investors, the project isn't going to make it across the finish line.  I really hope they do get the money, though.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko JohannesburgMember EpicPosts: 6,567

Gotcha.

It's probably all moot anyway.  If they don't secure more funding from investors, the project isn't going to make it across the finish line.  I really hope they do get the money, though.
    Maybe the supposed multi-millionare who is single-handedly funding the AoC dev team will step up and offer to be CoE's "angel investor" ! 

I'm sure he'll have the time for a convo, soon as he's done orchestrating AoC's first KS campaign. 
    Dakeru said:

Luckily for me, I am actually a good judge of character, unlike most people in our current western society. 
    And that's why you are backing that liar.
    If I were you I wouldn't go around and brag with my judgement skills.
  • JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound Studios Issaquah, WAMember UncommonPosts: 134
    Dakeru said:

Ok. I'll bite. Why exactly are you going around telling people I'm a liar?
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
    Dakeru said:

Maybe because your KS promised something different from what you are saying now?
    edited March 24
    Dakeru said:

Hi Jeromy!!!

Why would you continue to berate people who donate to your game for disagreeing with you?  Here is the latest example of what I mean.  Nothing the guy said was disrespectful in the least. The below quotes speak for themselves:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    11:50 AM - Thu Mar 23 2017#26
    +11

Caspian

• Owner
    • Staff
    • 1433 Posts
    • July 2014

Posted By Roudinesco at 07:53 AM - Thu Mar 23 2017

I dont care about PAX, work on the game plz .

Thanks !

Nobody finds this kind of response to the devs humorous in this community. Veiled in the anonymity of the internet or not, be respectful.

The success of an MMORPG is predicated on reaching a critical mass of players. That is, there needs to be enough players that it forms a sort of gravity which keeps people coming back to it.

So while you'd prefer us to work on the game, aside from the obvious benefit of creating an external forcing function that ensures we add a necessary level of polish once in a while, our attendance at events like PAX increases awareness, grows the community, and ensures that even after completion, we've got enough players to be successful.

It does you no good for us to rush to have the game done, if we have to shut it down shortly after launch due to a lack of players.

Again, feel free to continue to provide feedback, but trust we know what we're doing, and remember to speak to the devs with respect. They're working hard to bring this game to you in the most efficient way possible.

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on

• HeraseHerase LondonMember RarePosts: 919

Sounds like another NoManSky scenario?
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus LondonMember RarePosts: 1,336
    This game will experience major delays. What I think they are going to do is, promise to release the game soon to attract more pledges, release a playable module of part of the game and promise more features to satisfy the backers and attract new monies whilst looking for an angel investor.

A smaller version of what SC did, but they are also looking for investors. 
    Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

Thanks for the advice, but your assumption why I back this game (remember I am backing a game not a person) is not why you described it.

The reason for me backing this game is because it is the kind of game that I want to play and because I believe the developers of the game are the right kind of people who will make the game the way I would do it too (or similarly enough or even better).
     If the game gets released later because of their way of doing things, I am OK with it, as long as the game gets released at one point, If it doesn't for any reason it was worth the money and effort I put forward to this game, just to give it a shot, that is how much I would like to see them pull it off.

Now if you hate the way they do the development of the game or handle the community it gathered, maybe it only means it isn't the kind of game you are drawn to, if that is the case, I don't see why you spend your time following it.
    On the other hand, if you are angry because you think that the game itself is a great idea, but the devs are ruining it then you should help the developers see the errors you perceive in the way they handle things in a respectful manner, instead of wenting at them or those that support them.

Just my 2 cents.
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

Now if you hate the way they do the development of the game or handle the community it gathered, maybe it only means it isn't the kind of game you are drawn to, if that is the case, I don't see why you spend your time following it.
    Just like I don't understand what you are doing on this site when 100% of your posts are advertisting this scam.
  • ThaneThane berlinMember RarePosts: 2,789
    what you are missing, for starters, is the insight into game development they give you here.
    imo it's actually quite interesting to see how other people approach the problems we all face (designers), and how, or if they are able to solve em :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaMember EpicPosts: 13,190
    edited March 24
    Yes i can easily see how he puts to use his Psychology and game theory skills.Sounds like me lol listing all the problems with the genre.Then sounds like Arena.net telling us how he will change it all,fix the genre and how we can mold the world with our decisions.
    Reminds me a bit of the talk GW2 and SWTOR made with "decisions" but in reality our decisions were quite meaningless to the world and ended up nothing more than triggers and a set of 3-4 choice answers rewarding points.I assume we will see a system holding onto  our favor no different than faction % in EQ series or other games.

He basically uses his schooling to overplay the values of simple systems such as family and your house.I am not entirely sure of any value of the housing=family size idea.

My take is that he is going to use pvp and "family" as the only way it will feel like a real MMO.I have yet to see any indication outside of pvp that will reinforce or utilize team work.Well....There are now that i remember some subtle ideas to reinforce the immersive mmo feeling like blueprints made by one player to build a house and everything is persistent both real and npc's.All nice but subtle ideas are like a coating,the core meachnic of the game will be it's selling point or what drives people to want to play.

No matter how much i hear or see of this game,i still feel no purpose in the world or no direction.Example we have games with character/class building and games that just guide you through quests to get xp,this game,i just don'r know.What i see is influences from perhaps Eve and perhaps EQ2.It has the housing ,pvp ,a somewhat faction building system and some statistical systems like Eve.

Post edited by Wizardry on

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JeromyWalshJeromyWalsh Soulbound Studios Issaquah, WAMember UncommonPosts: 134
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

Maybe because your KS promised something different from what you are saying now?
    Can you elaborate? I went through the Kickstarter write-up and video again and all the mechanics described are being implemented exactly as described.

I'm curious to know what you perceive is not the same between our Kickstarter and what we're saying now. 
    Jeromy Walsh, 
    Owner/CEO of Soulbound Studios
    ChroniclesOfElyria.com
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

Just like I don't understand what you are doing on this site when 100% of your posts are advertisting this scam.

I see, so you have to much freetime, well... I guess kids these days is the answer... 

In any case I think my reason for being here is fairly obvious, though I don't see presenting my view of the game and telling facts about it advertisement. So I am obviously here to convert people into seeing the game from my perspective, since this forum for some reason seems highly biased against it, hence I see the need to present my less biased and more objective views to the occasional visitors, who get this far on these forums. And I also have freetime to spend on it while I am at work.