Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Redirected to online casinos

DakeruDakeru Posts: 2,894Member Epic
As the title says: I keep getting redirected to some shady online casino.
I'm not even clicking ads or anything - MMORPG just forwards me to the casino.

Comments

  • goboygogoboygo Posts: 1,720Member Rare
    Its not Mmmorpg, unfortunately you have a nasty bit of malware at play.
  • rubydragon5rubydragon5 Queens Village, NYPosts: 631Member Uncommon
    goboygo said:
    Its not Mmmorpg, unfortunately you have a nasty bit of malware at play.
    agreed

  • ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimePosts: 2,072Member Epic
    goboygo said:
    Its not Mmmorpg, unfortunately you have a nasty bit of malware at play.
    Not necessarily true. I've been re-directed to one of those bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" sites 2 or 3 times in the past week. It's only happened on this site and it happens randomly when reading forum posts. I regularly run virus checks and malware/spyware checks and my system is clean.
  • DakeruDakeru Posts: 2,894Member Epic
    It's only this site redirecting me and it only just started this morning.
    I should mention it redirects me to a german casino so I believe it targets only a minority of the people on this site.

    Either way, scanning my laptop now just to make sure.
  • KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLPosts: 24,437Member Legendary
    It happens from time to time, staff here will track down the offending advertiser and get it removed.

    On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

    Pouring on extra "Salt" for 2017

    In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon


  • GruntyGrunty TexasPosts: 7,974Member Rare
    edited March 18
    Take a look at the Blogs section.  There's a spammer advertising an online gambling website.  If it's the same website you might mention that in any reports.  I've been reporting these spammers for about 3 days now.  The blogs are slowly being removed.
    She was grimacing. "That does sound like what America's has been trying to do for the last century or two--get rich faster than the parasites could steal it."   The Free Lunch by Spider Robinson
  • TorvalTorval Posts: 12,154Member Legendary
    It happens when people make posts about cash shops being just like casinos. They want you to see the difference. :chuffed:

    j/k
    Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.
  • DakeruDakeru Posts: 2,894Member Epic
    Grunty said:
    Take a look at the Blogs section.  There's a spammer advertising an online gambling website.  If it's the same website you might mention that in any reports.  I've been reporting these spammers for about 3 days now.  The blogs are slowly being removed.
    Wow I didn't even know we had a blog section. Wtf would want to read that? lol
    But more seriously: I can't tell if it's the same since I closed the opening site asap.

    However I do think I read the word Domino which I can see on the blogs so maybe there really is a relation.

    Also as general update:
    My virus scanner didn't find anything and I haven't been redirected since this morning.
    So either the problem solved itself or Admin ninjaed the bad guys already.
  • DakeruDakeru Posts: 2,894Member Epic
    Morning here and it happened again.
    This time I was forwarded to one of those sites that count clicks and it actually had the nerve to complain about me using adblocker.
    'Please whitelist us now or the owner of the site will not receive the money for your click'
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 In cyberspaaaaaacePosts: 2,770Member Uncommon
    Forgrimm said:
    goboygo said:
    Its not Mmmorpg, unfortunately you have a nasty bit of malware at play.
    Not necessarily true. I've been re-directed to one of those bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" sites 2 or 3 times in the past week. It's only happened on this site and it happens randomly when reading forum posts. I regularly run virus checks and malware/spyware checks and my system is clean.



    I've had the exact same bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" redirect happen yesterday while I was reading a thread with my hand off the mouse. Ad Block on too. MMORPG.com has some serious problem with malware running through their ads.

    It seems they can't keep their ads under control so I will not be coming back. I will not be missed.
  • ReizlaReizla 127.0.0.1Posts: 3,938Member Uncommon
    That's why I'm running an ad-blocker 24/7. You don't know what's in the ad and more than once it's been proven that there's some mallware hidden in the scripts behind the ads. Then I'm not even mentioning the amount of overhead most ads on sites take...

    AsRock 990FX Extreme3
    AMD Phenom II 1090T ~3.2Ghz
    GEiL 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4Gb + 2x HD monitor 1920x1080

  • ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimePosts: 2,072Member Epic
    mmoguy43 said:
    Forgrimm said:
    goboygo said:
    Its not Mmmorpg, unfortunately you have a nasty bit of malware at play.
    Not necessarily true. I've been re-directed to one of those bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" sites 2 or 3 times in the past week. It's only happened on this site and it happens randomly when reading forum posts. I regularly run virus checks and malware/spyware checks and my system is clean.



    I've had the exact same bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" redirect happen yesterday while I was reading a thread with my hand off the mouse. Ad Block on too. MMORPG.com has some serious problem with malware running through their ads.

    It seems they can't keep their ads under control so I will not be coming back. I will not be missed.
    Yup, it happened to me again yesterday. I have AdBlock Plus running at all times too. I was in the middle of reading a thread, hadn't even clicked on anything and the re-direct happened.
  • ReizlaReizla 127.0.0.1Posts: 3,938Member Uncommon
    Forgrimm said:
    mmoguy43 said:
    Forgrimm said:
    goboygo said:
    Its not Mmmorpg, unfortunately you have a nasty bit of malware at play.
    Not necessarily true. I've been re-directed to one of those bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" sites 2 or 3 times in the past week. It's only happened on this site and it happens randomly when reading forum posts. I regularly run virus checks and malware/spyware checks and my system is clean.



    I've had the exact same bogus "You have a virus, download this program to get rid of it" redirect happen yesterday while I was reading a thread with my hand off the mouse. Ad Block on too. MMORPG.com has some serious problem with malware running through their ads.

    It seems they can't keep their ads under control so I will not be coming back. I will not be missed.
    Yup, it happened to me again yesterday. I have AdBlock Plus running at all times too. I was in the middle of reading a thread, hadn't even clicked on anything and the re-direct happened.
    AdBlock (plus) is no longer a trustworthy ad blocker. The advertiser can pay them to let their ads come through. Just imagine how malware criminals would abuse that...

    I'm surfing pretty save in a 'custom' ad blocker integrated in the Opera browser (which also supports native VPN). Opera has no such policy that they can be paid to allow ads to come through. Opera has always been about the privacy and security of the user, and their ad blocker & VPN just shows exactly that...

    AsRock 990FX Extreme3
    AMD Phenom II 1090T ~3.2Ghz
    GEiL 16Gb DDR3 1600Mhz
    MSI GTX970 GAMING 4Gb + 2x HD monitor 1920x1080

  • MisterZebubMisterZebub Not In ESOPosts: 2,229Member Epic
    While I dearly love this site and would like to do nothing more than to browse it with absolutely no ad blocking software what so ever, this kind of shit, plus the yet to be achieved https:// stuff is why I currently don't.

    image

    "To be frank, I think his world had vanished long before he ever entered it, but I will say: He certainly sustained the illusion with a marvelous grace!"


  • DakeruDakeru Posts: 2,894Member Epic
    @Reizla I am using Opera and I have ABP up. However I didn't block all content cause I don't want to deny MMORPG the full income from my visits.

    @Admin  Since I'm not the only one getting this you may have to slap the wrists of a few villains again.
  • TorvalTorval Posts: 12,154Member Legendary
    Dakeru said:
    @Reizla I am using Opera and I have ABP up. However I didn't block all content cause I don't want to deny MMORPG the full income from my visits.

    @Admin  Since I'm not the only one getting this you may have to slap the wrists of a few villains again.
    Did you test whether enabling adblocker prevented this behavior?

    I have adblock plus disabled on this site, and have for a long time, and haven't been able to trigger the behavior you describe yet.
    Centuries ago, in primitive times, before the dawn of civilization, there were things that would be inconceivable to us today; such things as poverty, disease, violence, senility, and love.
Sign In or Register to comment.