Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best MMORPG For Breeding/Gardening/Crafting?

2»

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    cheyane said:
    When I was playing Vanguard at one point I made everything by myself boats and houses. Of course I had loads of crafters and carpel tunnel at the end of it but the population in the game was so miserable it was faster to make every kind of crafter and collect the resources and make the things yourself. Of course was not going to build a galleon but the smaller boats totally doable.
    You did not make one of the big ships or Guild halls or evena T3 house in Vanguard without help
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited March 2017
    There is no point in owning  one of those unless you're in a guild. Sad though that Vanguard could not really take advantage of all these social aspects due to its declining population.
    Chamber of Chains
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:
    When I was playing Vanguard at one point I made everything by myself boats and houses. Of course I had loads of crafters and carpel tunnel at the end of it but the population in the game was so miserable it was faster to make every kind of crafter and collect the resources and make the things yourself. Of course was not going to build a galleon but the smaller boats totally doable.
    You did not make one of the big ships or Guild halls or evena T3 house in Vanguard without help

That the point we dont need you folks to hold our hands or have the game force us to do so other wise....At least if i wanted help in other game i have a choice..Like BDO! Sorry the days of holding hands are about over...

I retired retroactively..Haha

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited March 2017
    It can't be any worse then building a t6 dragons Hall in istaria. About 6 million units.
    Post edited by VengeSunsoar on
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Forgrimm said:
    Archeage is a good option.
    lol
    /fail ^^

edited March 2017
    I always wear myself out though trying to do everything myself. The more they separate the crafting I just get two accounts and work on everything. I have some crazy impulse about crafting and inevitably it wears me out and I drop the game suddenly. I make everything I can and I start so many carfters people in the guild always ask me to slow down and when I don't log on so often everyone knows I've burnt out. It's stupid but I cannot stop myself.
    Chamber of Chains
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited March 2017
    I have that same problem. Haha. I like being able to do everything. But I get worn out partway through.
    Post edited by VengeSunsoar on
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Popple said:
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:

That the point we dont need you folks to hold our hands or have the game force us to do so other wise....At least if i wanted help in other game i have a choice..Like BDO! Sorry the days of holding hands are about over...
    huh ... you completely miss the point and are misguided ... and barely worthy of a response ...
    The worse thing is I know I am causing the game to become tedious but when I don't do it I keep wondering what if I made this crafter than I can make this and it's worse when it's housing like Everquest 2 and you can make things for the house. In the end I give in to the compulsion. I had 22 alts on Gaheris in Dark Age of Camelot. I was so shocked when I counted recently. I was like WTF???
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    There is no point in owning  one of those unless you're in a guild. Sad though that Vanguard could not really take advantage of all these social aspects due to its declining population.
    True , But at one point in the games history it was quite impressive , a Guild Hall was a great undertaking that really paid off in the end ... Tremendous effort and social activity its what MMORPGs are about imo ...

Not being reduced to all activities equal to Skyrim .....
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Wurm Online and Age Of Wulin. 

No I know what you mean it is totally grand to get together and build a huge thing for the guild but I like personal achievements too. I enjoy an MMO like Black Desert Online in spite of not playing the player versus player part because it made me feel I was part of the world when I was trading, moving around, opening nodes and travelling around the world.

When I started gardening I was very impressed by soil,water and sunshine requirement and how my plants seem to do better on the lower slope. I thought that detail was very good. I could check the weather and also look at where I could plant. Things like that made me smile and the world came alive for me.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    No I know what you mean it is totally grand to get together and build a huge thing for the guild but I like personal achievements too. I enjoy an MMO like Black Desert Online in spite of not playing the player versus player part because it made me feel I was part of the world when I was trading, moving around, opening nodes and travelling around the world.

When I started gardening I was very impressed by soil,water and sunshine requirement and how my plants seem to do better on the lower slope. I thought that detail was very good. I could check the weather and also look at where I could plant. Things like that made me smile and the world came alive for me.
    I can see why people would like those aspects , just not for me in my MMO .... enjoy tho :)
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    rawfox said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Archeage is a good option.
    lol
    /fail ^^

Such a convincing and well thought out counter-point...
  • NeoGriimNeoGriim Member CommonPosts: 3
    Don't know if this was mentioned but Wurm Online/Wurm Unlimited are great for what you're looking for. The animal breeding isn't the greatest, but you go out, you gather your own animals on your own self built farm, feed them, breed them, slaughter them, use their items to make other stuff for yourself rinse and repeat.

The problem most people have with Wurm though is that it is just a crafting/trading MMO. There's more to the game for people wanting adventure, but no quest system or anything, but if you want crafting, economy, building, terraforming, Wurm is great.  Online and Unlimited are the same game with some key differences. Online you're on a server with other people and it's very difficult to progress early on, you will die, constantly, whether it's starving/dehydration/wild animals/ect and to unlock everything you need to pay for a subscription which makes it easier because you'll be able to lay down a town which prevents enemies from spawning inside the radius, giving you room to clear land and build fences.  With Unlimited, you don't need to pay for anything but the initial game (Online is F2P btw) which then you join a server, find a town in chat that's looking for people, or wonder off and do your own thing, but most servers give you a deed stake that you can use automatically so you can go off, make your town in your own location and figure the game out.

The crafting is insanely deep. You'll need to level mining which takes a while, then you get good stone and metal that won't crumble in a day or two, then use the higher quality items to build your stuff, same with tree's. The quality of farmed items are limited to the skill level you have.  Eventually you can get your crafting up highly, train your combat skills on random monsters, and go hunt other players if you're on a server with PvP. 

There's even lock picking and stuff implemented (most servers don't allow it though)
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    ikcin said:
    kitarad said:
    What was interesting in Black Desert Online was when I first started the game I saw all these wagons with different colours and shapes rushing about and the game looked so busy with them running headlong at you that I was tempted to jump out of their way.

I then went and looked up the requirement of building one and positively wilted. It was tonnes of work and I got quite disheartened but then I realised anything worth doing had to take effort. So I began the simple task of getting the resources and slowly getting workers and opening nodes. 

While I was thus engaged it became obvious I also needed money so I looked into fishing  and again I noticed the boats and was floored when I saw what I needed to make one. I was determined to do all these things however and took up gardening and also breeding horses. 

You might wonder what happened to the traditional thing most people do in MMORPGs which is fighting well for me BDO was all about the network of trading, workers and resources. I had little to no interest in PvP so that aspect of the game was shoved aside in favour of the gem that is the PvE in BDO.

Now, please explain to me, how do you play a MMO game in that case? As everything you mention, except the PvP, is singleplayer.
    Just as was described.
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    ikcin said:
    kitarad said:
    What was interesting in Black Desert Online was when I first started the game I saw all these wagons with different colours and shapes rushing about and the game looked so busy with them running headlong at you that I was tempted to jump out of their way.

I then went and looked up the requirement of building one and positively wilted. It was tonnes of work and I got quite disheartened but then I realised anything worth doing had to take effort. So I began the simple task of getting the resources and slowly getting workers and opening nodes. 

While I was thus engaged it became obvious I also needed money so I looked into fishing  and again I noticed the boats and was floored when I saw what I needed to make one. I was determined to do all these things however and took up gardening and also breeding horses. 

You might wonder what happened to the traditional thing most people do in MMORPGs which is fighting well for me BDO was all about the network of trading, workers and resources. I had little to no interest in PvP so that aspect of the game was shoved aside in favour of the gem that is the PvE in BDO.

Now, please explain to me, how do you play a MMO game in that case? As everything you mention, except the PvP, is singleplayer.
    You're really stuck on this "play my way or it's the highway" thing aren't you? The game isn't single player and saying so is idiotic.
    Is it so idiotic Torval , The game does not cultivate any Social Interaction to build this boat , None ...It does not promote/require or need any social interaction to craft , harvest set up farms , anyhting for any of these activities they are all Single player activity ...

Wherein a game for ex .. Vanguard , when you need to build a big boat it promoted and demanded socail interaction , with friends . Guildmates , and or the community to help , aquire the mats and build the boat ...Same in Archeage for the bigger Boats ...

In BDO its just you .. so it is basically a single player activity , BDO does not cultivate any social interaction at all or nearly at all , its not needed till end game Warfare .... And most players of BDO dont take part in that .....The game does cultivate solo play from 1-50+ ...
    Yes, it is idiotic.

It doesn't matter what a game cultivates. What matters is what it provides. BDO provides social interaction to any that want it. Players can adventure together if so inclined, from character generation onward. It is interaction out of desire rather than need other than in endgame PvP, making it entirely social in nature for those that seek it.

If players need game mechanics to compel them to interact for it to happen, there isn't all that much inherently social about it, is there. It is a matter of need rather than choice, with any social benefits derived coincidental rather than intrinsic.