Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it still make sense to wait t buy a new PC (gaming)?

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
I recently asked about a new PC build and there was suggestion to wait till AMD did their releases.  I know not everything is released now, but some decently intelligent conclusions can be drawn.  I am not real familiar with the hardware scene.

So my basic question is, does it still make sense to wait. 

If I can get a Kaby Lake i5-7600 3.8GHz for ~$240 does it make sense to put it off.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117728

I don't think prices are going to drop below $220 next month when the AMD chips arrive.  Saving 20 bucks on a 1200-1500 build just does not seem to make much sense if I have to wait another few months and hope for a bigger better sale. 

Is there really a compelling reason to wait for a new build now? 

I did some research and it looks like AMD may get better performance in some applications with an update to windows scheduler so there is no cross communication across the ccx.  If that is the case, my guess is that an update will be pushed out.  We still will have fewer IPC and lower clock speeds. 

If it doesn't make sense to wait, I will be putting a new thread out for a new build. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited March 2017
    Now is a good time to build. It's probably going to be cheaper in anticipation for Ryzen 5 than post release until the apus or Intel's next generation comes out.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    "Does it make sense to wait anymore?" Good question. Probably not.

Once a "powerful" cpu meant a "high end" and came at a price premium. Today?

The i5 you linked will give you a top end PC. It won't need upgrading in "6 months" because something has come out that the cpu can't handle as used to be the case. Yes if you spent an extra $100 you could get a i7-7770K today but .... is it worth it? And the option will probably be there to upgrade in the future as well - unlikely to be needed but a nice option. Games are far more likely to be gpu limited today.

And since the i5 isn't a "high end" cpu it doesn't come with the same price premium. Yes the price will probably trend down but big price cuts - not likely. The premium isn't there.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The best reason to wait is if your old computer is plenty good enough and you're in no hurry to upgrade.  That could lead to waiting a year or two, by which time, there will be something better.

But if you're inclined to buy now and think four CPU cores is enough, then I don't see any reason to wait unless you have a strong preference for AMD.  The GTX 1080 Ti is out, the GTX 1070 and 1080 have dropped in price, and I don't see the Vega launch pushing prices down that much further.  I don't see Ryzen pushing prices down on Kaby Lake at all.