Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Adevertisement can play with us and toss us around

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited March 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Advertisement can play with us and toss us around like were a two year old child.  They tell us what we like then stop.  Before I start on video games, I would like to start with this.  It's my little point in history when I realized the power of control.  It's something that I don't think anyone else realized.

Remember Shania Twain, she was an extremely popular pop country star way back around 1999-2002. For maybe three or four years she was it, it was all about her.  She had a hit song every two weeks and she was even a Super Bowl half time special for one season. They pushed her career to the limit and stopped. On a single day she was gone !......Just gone !.....Not gone completely, you can always google her or find a YouTube.......But the point is it stopped !  Just like The Brady Bunch episode Johnny Bravo, she fit the suit.

Video games, same thing:

I'm sure many here search IGN, Gamespot, and Steam. Good sites I may add ! 

Well, there also the command center for control.  With money in hand, ANYTHING CAN BE FAMOUS.  Right now, it's Mass Effect Andromeda, Ghost Recon Wildlands.  For Honor is slowly pushed away because that was two weeks ago, very soon it will be non-existent.  On a side note Gamespot is pushing "Owlboy" for months now.  It's rated superb with a nine and it's still at the top of the list of top rated.... Tell me someone doesn't have an uncle with a foot in the door, because it's a side scrolled game that very few would ever want.  

By now " every ones thinking "  their AAA games they should be, most are really good too !....... I agree !

The point is BIG money only !...... They tell you what you like with BIG money !

I'll end with this:
Black Desert Online, Warhammer Online, StarWars The Old Republic, WildStar Online

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited March 2017
    This is why I don't listen to anything companies say about their games, don't read the previews, the partial reviews which come in stages. I never pre-order or crowd fund games.

Because of this I am hardly ever disappointed with a game. These forums and all the others are littered with disappointed customers. Once the game is released, read the reviews, do your research talk to friends who are playing (remember they are still in the honeymoon period). Pay attention to what people say they don't like not what they like. After all you are probably going to like the areas of the game they like or you would not even be thinking about buying the game.

For MMMOs:

1. Check videos to make sure you like the graphics, animations, effects, back drop etc. Videos can give you a feel for a game nothing else can. But remember this is all after launch.

2. Most importantly the gameplay, how trinity is it? Action combat? How truly sandbox is the box? Make sure it fits what you like.

3. Consider giving it a couple of months after launch before you play, I usually do and nearly all the problems people are ranting about on the forums are gone by then.

4. Check out the guilds before you buy, without good guilds I am not sure any MMO is worth playing long term these days.

Follow this guide and you will hardly ever have buyers remorse.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Just as an FYI, Shania first hit it big in 1995 with her 2nd album and after her fourth in 2002 she became the highest selling female country star in history.

She retired in 2004 as her voice was failing (later diagnosed as a treatable medical condition) and has returned to some light singing in recent years.

So her 'disappearance" really had nothing to do with advertising turning away its spotlight, she chose to exit stage left.

Besides, if what you propose is true, when is Justin Beeber going to disappear? ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited March 2017
    Good fast research to prove me wrong.  It's what we do here, for most of us are favorite pass time.

Feels good doesn't it :)

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    A mark against you for talking about Andromeda .

You know I kinda feel sorry for you. You don't seem to know what it's like to anticipate and and snatch at any news about a game you're looking forward to with the exception of Pantheon. I think you have lost the passion, wonder,interest and happiness of anticipation. You have abandoned your love for games to discuss them and deride and condemn current games and by association the people who enjoy these games. Tiresome. By posting threads designed try to find others who seem to enjoy and encourage them criticizing games rather than enjoying what is available as if they needed any more encouragement.

When I am looking forward to a game , advertisements ,the discussions with shots or small videos that show game play or art simply thrill me because every bit they show makes me want to play the game. I don't think that is something horrible or something that should be avoided because you have games that disappoint you. Of course games are never going to live up to the anticipation but that does not mean you should give up the joy of following and enjoying the development of games. It's part of the magic.

The first WoW trailer I watched sparked my interest when I never even considered playing the game because initially the garish colour palette put me off. Fell in love.

Every week you dig deep and scour your current petty focus on trying to put down what is currently offered by harking back to how it was before and how we are all fooled and how companies are going after the mighty dollar and we the dullards are being swept up in their wake and know no better.

Seriously it's so tiring to read the same theme from you dressed up in different colours but essentially repeating the same thing. You should stop haunting these boards and find a game to play.

Others have suggested solutions to your problems but I think you enjoy your misery and want to capitalize on it and find a following here with these threads. Well good luck wallowing in your misery I find enjoying what is being offered and boy I am so very excited about Andromeda I am bursting in the seams and guess what I bet I am happier than you with finding games to play than attending the weekly 'Disappointed Gamers Anonymous' meetings.
    Chamber of Chains
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    If I am not mistaken Shania Twain's husband had an affair with her best friend. It really devastated her. 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    More people are waking up, but the vast majority are still being put to sleep.

If you haven't realized, yet, that since the advent of 24/7 MASS MEDIA / MARKETING / ADVERTIZING ( backed by billions in psychological/neurological studies) EVERYWHERE, you're thoughts aren't your own (well... barely), you need to wake the fuck up. That's the bottom line. 

+1
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited March 2017

I'll end with this:
    Black Desert Online, Warhammer Online, StarWars The Old Republic, WildStar Online

Well, advertising has been around since "since". I went to Italy last May and even the brothel had advertising.

People should learn to temper their own expectations from advertising. No one is forcing a person to buy a product. This is on them. As far as your list ...

Black Desert, for me, is a great game, I don't regret a dime I spent on it and it is what they said it would be.

Warhammer Online also was a nice game that sadly didn't fill the expectations of Warhammer fans. Additionally it launched too soon which caused it to obviously get a bad rep.

Star Wars the Old Republic is exactly what they said it would be with the exception of the pvp planet which many thought they borked up. But I remember logging in and not understanding what the uproar was about, it was exactly what "I" expected from a bioware game and seemed to be everything they said it would be (other than the pvp planet as mentioned). I think this was more about people inflating their own expectations based upon their own preferences.

Can't really comment on Wildstar as I did try it, it was just as kooky as it claimed but I didn't really enjoy the combat and wasn't really on board with the questing (which I rarely like anyway) so it wasn't my thing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The OP will gratefully accept any donations of tinfoil that you can spare ! :lol:
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If advertising controls what we play, then why aren't we all playing League of Angels or Game of War: Fire Age?
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    This thread is why you shouldn't "listen" to forum threads.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Quizzical said:
    If advertising controls what we play, then why aren't we all playing League of Angels or Game of War: Fire Age?
    Judging by Game of War's reported earnings, we ARE all playing it ! :lol:
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Everything and everyone is being controlled except me. Dubious claims with scanty evidence, proved completely wrong on at least one point of evidence

Yep typical thread. Arrogant. Fear mongering. All talk no substance.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Good fast research to prove me wrong.  It's what we do here, for most of us are favorite pass time.

Yeah fast and easy research.. a good counter against "alternative facts" provided by you.. and other people..
    Harbinger of Fools
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited March 2017

You say this like good research and evidence is somehow a bad thing. Odd.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    Quizzical said:

Have to agree with the other poster, advertising presence needs more than banner ads to have more effect than just spark a few clicks to see what something is. But the OPs thesis is a rather OTT we still think for ourselves, just influenced by the ads.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    ikcin said:

Sovrath said:
    Black Desert, for me, is a great game, I don't regret a dime I spent on it and it is what they said it would be.
    But it is a terrible MMO, reading many of your posts I get the feeling you really do not like the MMORPGs.

'I do not like a game you like so obviously you must dislike MMOs.'
    Sounds logical...
    Harbinger of Fools
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Dakeru said:
    ikcin said:

Sovrath said:
    But it is a terrible MMO, reading many of your posts I get the feeling you really do not like the MMORPGs.

'I do not like a game you like so obviously you must dislike MMOs.'
    Sounds logical...
    Well if the games you like or play most often aren't really MMOs then the argument is valid.

But I'd be far less likely to listen to the opinion of someone who calls BDO "terrible," just the usual hyperbole seen so often on these forums.

Its not a game I would enjoy playing (I actually trialed it) but I can easily appreciate its appeal for others.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    im not going to say im inmune to ads , no1 is....but not for videogames, i can maybe look for X game , some gameplays , and whatnot , but thats it.

however a new food or drink and im all over it :p ...because those things last a few weeks at most...hell is hard to find any vanilla coke around here >< and isnt cheap at all .
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I never really pay attention to any gaming related advertisement. I follow a lot of gaming podcasts, and youtube channels like Giant Bomb  and usually get any gaming related news out of that, so advertisements really don't effect me since I know what things are. Unless it's there to remind me of something I haven't played in a while, maybe I'll jump back on, or something like that.

But like Warlyx said, I fall for food ads all the time. New drinks and chip flavors are nice.
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388

Start on weak legs, get knocked over.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited March 2017
    ikcin said:

Sovrath said:

That's a pretty bold statement, especially with no additional information.

I like mmo's just fine (I'm here aren't I?).

Grind? No problem! I love grind!

Is it that I don't like how they do quests? What's to like? Newer developers make you run here and there to do two or three actions and then you rinse and repeat, run back or just have a popup that says "ok here's a reward!" And to top it off I don't even have to think, there's a big glowing blob on the map.

"but you can just turn that off".

Sometimes you can but it doesn't do you any good because nowadays the quest text doesn't give you information that allows you to "sleuth it". You just go.

Is it that I don't require a group? True that, but I do group in Black Desert because I choose to when I choose to. And it's fun to be in a group when you have good people. But I'm not going to sit and lament that the game doesn't "force" me into groups, especially when there are so many crappy people in these games.

I like mmo's because there are people there. And that creates an energy. I don't have to talk with every one of them. Just like in real life, I live in a city and will continue living in a city because its the people that give the area life and make it interesting.

Is it that Black Desert makes it difficult to impossible to give people items or trade with them? I think that's a shame but it is what it is and it seems that despite that fact, the players have figured out a way to at least give it a go. Or do you not pay attention to chat as there are people asking in chat (some players think it's spam but I love this stuff, makes the game feel alive) if someone wants to trade this for that.

And then you have to be fast or the trade might not work. Again, it is what it is but I don't cry over spilled milk.

I've helped numerous people in Black Desert and have had conversations with numerous people. I don't need developers to assist me with that, I have my own mind.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    Shania was made famous via money and power,she was dating the ceo of the record label,i think actually married him.As well she was the  much pushed marketing singer .

As to Bieber he was also created as are most of these stars.Bieber will completely disappear when his marketing value drops off.Brittany Spears was the same thing.

A lot does change and perceptions change just because the population grows so fast.I often wonder why so many markets and so many bad products and so many bad singers are getting rich,it is simply a fact there is a lot more people and a lot more money being spent.

Also evident with trendy ideas like nose rings and tattoos and fashion is that there is a very large group in almost every marketing field,so getting rich is easier than ever before.
    One can simply look at Twitch TV,so many streamers and so many have no jobs,they simply make a living via playing video games and for most part female streamers just look cute and guy streamers just try and act cool or gangster. see CDN the 3rd for wannabe gangster..sigh.

I can even point to a game right now "Crowfall" that no way deserves the attention it gets but because of money spent,it is being noticed,albeit only here and nowhere else.

Farmville likely the most trash pile of junk that ever made it super rich was pushed everywhere and now we get Facebook and Twitter and google adware popping up on every single site.

Money most certainly is power and has been  since thousands of years ago.Lobbyists want action,they simply throw money at governments to get their demands met.Big business like Blizzard or Hasbro can easily hire several big name lawyers to solve their agenda,if you have no money you have no power or justice or equality.Direct TV paid off our RCMP to cure their dilemma of hacked services.Money is the root of all evil  and can attain services not rightfully attained such as buying off RCMP and will remain so for thousands more years,or until the US military starts a world war.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Advertisement can play with us and toss us around like were a two year old child...

Who is daft enough to believe in adverts?  Very few people these days.
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    edited March 2017
    Advertising companies and corporations themselves have far too much power. Not until we remove lobbyists and the voice of corporations will we ever truly be able to make a sound logical choice before the fact (like before a purchase.)
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    ikcin said:
    Quizzical said:

Because they have cheap advertisement. Banners are the cheapest and the most ineffective kind of ads. The effective - LoL, Blizzard or even BDO videos in YouTube. Articles in media. Positive reviews. Posts and pages in the social networks. Native ads. Posts in forums. And at the end you are totally brainwashed, because if you did not watch or see any of these, probably you do not know about the existence of the game.

Sovrath said:

Translation: EVERYBODY IS BRAINWASHED BUT MEEEEE!!! I'M THE SANE ONE! I'M THE SMART ONE! I FIGURED OUT THE SYSTEM!

Yet in the end, you're too busy pointing out how others have been fooled by advertising to realize that you only use Reynolds Wrap foil for your hats. 

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic