Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very oldschool - My impressions of GemstoneIV (MUD/text based game)

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited March 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Game link: http://www.play.net/gs4/

This is going to be a multiple update thread, which I'll reply with the new update. I'm giving GemstoneIV till next month, to see if I still like it enough to pay 15 a month (yup a 15 dollar per month MUD, though the game IS free to play (with limitations). GemstoneIV also does have a cash shop, but nothing overpowered or pay to win, more quality of life stuff and convenience.

Really, either I'll continue to sub to LOTRO, or I'll sub to GemstoneIV. It depends if I get bored or don't end up liking GemstoneIV.

In any case... 

GemstoneIV is a very old MUD that used to be pay per hour on AOL. I didn't play it then. I have however played various MUDs over the years, my favorite (thus far) being a Discworld MUD (that one is awesome) and an apocalyptic style survival MUD that reminds me of DUNE (but not DUNE, its a VERY immense hardcore RP MUD though, just always forget the name of it)

I DID try Dragonrealms (Simu's other game next to GemstoneIV) some years ago (like 2 or 3 years), but too many people AFK script (even worse now supposedly) and while I only played 3-4 hours, I didn't like it. Its too PvP focused endgame for me (granted, PVErs play it, but (at least some) of the PvPers in the game are rude as hell), and I don't like PVP in MUDs. The community wasn't that great either as far as MUDs go (better than most MMOs, but not MUD standard). On other hand, GemstoneIV is a lot more PVE player friendly, and while I've only played 10 hours so far today, the community is already incredibly friendly and helpful. I imagine GemstoneIV has PvP (actually don't know), and that is fine if so. It just doesn't seem like the PvP community focused MUD, which is good enough for me.

Now for GemstoneIV, it has started off kinda like most of the good free MUDs I've played. Very similar feeling (at least to me) to Discword to be honest. With a major difference. It gets updated a lot (makes sense since it has a source of funding from players), and there is a lot of events and story progress with the game (which most MUDs I've played always seemed very stagnant in the story progression). That is a huge bonus for me. Plus the game world, there are so many cities, so I can only imagine how big the map is. A lot of MUDs feel too small and cramped. The community is also really friendly and helpful and like most MUDs, is RP focused. Though I talked out of character a bit since I needed help (and someone was kind enough to me around and guide me! and gave a lot of advice, which was nice).

The game definitely pushes a more social atmosphere, which is very different than most MMOs. One thing it does (which may annoy some, I like it though) is when you get a certain amount of EXP, you have to rest (by just standing around/sitting/etc)...now you can do that out in the wild (but its slower) or you can stand in "hot spots" where people congregate which boost resting speed. Then the "rest bar" slowly goes down and fills up your EXP bar (because you don't get EXP right away). The way I see it, you are learning from your experience, and learning doesn't happen right off the bat.

But, for example, outside a tavern at a well increases rest speed and that is where I met my guide and maybe future friend. Or the town center is a very big "hub" in any/most of the cities, and you can get all kinds of services there or to rest as well. I chose the well to be my main spot, because its a smaller gathering spot, but still active. Though if you die or get hurt, clerics and empaths can help with that and they stand in the town center helping those of need (and sometimes if possible a tip is nice to do). And others give buffs and what not.

As for combat, pretty typical "kill x" or "attack x" to attack the creature in the room like most MUDs. But there are different stances (offensive/defensive and a bunch of ones inbetween). Honestly, I don't play MUDs for combat, so I won't go into this much for now. Though...when you start, you are level 0, and if you started with magic and got spells...you can't actually use that magic you know until level 1. Kinda weird, but its easy to get to level 1 anyway.

The other thing I've liked a lot, is the descriptions in each "room" are nicely written. You can really imagine you are there. I'll expand on that more in a later update, but seems like good quality writing from what I've seen. They do a good enough job to let me imagine the actual world around my character.

Which is what MUDs are about, imagination and like reading an interactive book that you are actually in. And actually being that character. That is the best way to describe them.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Also as some final notes for today's update.

I'm using a custom client (Lich) for GemstoneIV. It has a lot of features, and makes things quite a bit easier. One issue I always have is ALWAYS remembering the countless commands MUDs have. Usually I have to write tons of things down or put them in my notes on my phone, but with Lich I can pretty much access (many) of the commands right from context menus. Plus it has other stuff too (like a map, so I know where I'm going and stuff).

Some may not like that though, but MUDs (even good ones that describe things well) aren't as easy to navigate (at least for me) in than MMOs. With MMOs, you can actually see where the city is and where the shop(s) are. With MUDs, most don't offer that in their description of the rooms and you have to remember where things are.

With that said, GemstoneIV at least lets you read signs over buildings and DOES describe the shop when you are outside it...which is a nice bonus. But doesn't help if I'm on the other side of the city and need a map to get there :P

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I remember the title from many years ago,i just didn't know it was a mud game,i thought it was on Nintendo or something.
    I feel a mud has to offer much more than any other 3d game can offer,otherwise it can't hold my interest.

My last stand in one these similar type games was Hunted Cows Fallen Sword which is barely a 2d game

A major problem for me is my eyesight,it really causes a lot of strain having to read too much.I would be literally leaning with my face to the screen never feeling comfortable while playing.

I already got into 2d sprite games many years ago with Wizardry and Ultima and Might N Magic so i have looked back on muds a very long time ago.Wizardry was 36 years ago,so i figure i must have only spent a few years in muds then moved forward.

My computer class had one pc for the entire class,that is how small the computer industry was way back then.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    I remember the title from many years ago,i just didn't know it was a mud game,i thought it was on Nintendo or something.
    I feel a mud has to offer much more than any other 3d game can offer,otherwise it can't hold my interest.

My last stand in one these similar type games was Hunted Cows Fallen Sword which is barely a 2d game

A major problem for me is my eyesight,it really causes a lot of strain having to read too much.I would be literally leaning with my face to the screen never feeling comfortable while playing.

I already got into 2d sprite games many years ago with Wizardry and Ultima and Might N Magic so i have looked back on muds a very long time ago.Wizardry was 36 years ago,so i figure i must have only spent a few years in muds then moved forward.

My computer class had one pc for the entire class,that is how small the computer industry was way back then.
    There are MUDs that DO offer a lot and an unique experience. My favorite #1 being that apocalyptic one, which you can definitely not get in any 3d game. I looked up the link

https://www.armageddon.org/

It says its a post-apocalyptic MUD, but it felt more like DUNE to me than anything else.

As for eyesight, yeah I can see that. Its why I stopped reading books, because the font and small text in the books and having the book so close (but if I put it farther, my eyes can't see the text) that my eyes get really sore reading them. Which doesn't happen to me with text on computers, just books for some reason. Though like on my monitor, the text is about .5 bigger than text in most fantasy/sci-fi books, so maybe that makes a difference. Plus I can still see the letters even though the monitor is a bit further from me. That, and even if I can read the text in the book if the book is further out, its super uncomfy for me to read it like that.

So yeah I can understand that. MUDs require a lot of reading, and have to read fast at that, so I can see that causing problems for people like reading small text up-close in books.

As a little update, because I think its actually an awesome addition. 

But at least early on, when you "look at" a creature you are fighting, it actually has a drawn picture of it that comes up, and you can click on it to make it bigger. Not sure if every creature in the game is like that, but that is pretty neat.

edited March 2017
    Already got really bored. It feels like a free to play MUD, but a lot slower (mana gains so slow) and really the same quality, except more updates and events.

I've been playing Armageddon mud all day and its vastly better :P and its free too lol

But honestly, I'd rather play LOTRO for a subscription game. I get a lot of "rewards" from subbing, and LOTRO has a lot more to do.

The other turn off is if you spend 15 a month on GemstoneIV, you still don't get a house. You actually have to spend 50 (50 extra on top of 15 dollars or just 50, doesn't matter) and that is stupid. For 50 or 65 dollars a month I can buy a brand new game pretty much or multiple games on sale lol