Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you pick your class in a new MMO?

2»

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    I typically go for the rogue type character, especially if the stealth mechanics are to my liking. Barring that, I'll then look for some type of a Ranger doesn't matter if it has a pet or not. Barring the previous two examples, some type of a battlemage or melee/support hybrid.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I look for a shapeshifter class or pet-user class first.  I like more strategic combat, where my abilities combo with each other, but I don't like rage meter combat much.  I like stealth classes, except the constant maneuvering to try to backstab is obnoxious.  I dislike light armor and won't play glass cannon classes unless they at least come with a pet tank.  I know I will be mostly soloing, so a healer class is pretty much never appropriate, and tank classes tend to have a lot of irrelevant abilities and be slow at killing monsters because they usual have lower dps than some other classes.  On top of all that I try to pick a class that works with my desired race/faction/starting area.

So basically, if there isn't a shapeshifer or pet-user class, I tend to end up as a melee dps class, or if there's a medium-armor ranged class I'll try that.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I look for the heaviest armour and the biggest weapons I can find on the same class. DAoC Arsman, 2H Warriors in EQ or WoW, Gladiator in Aion, WAR had to be Chosen even if they were gimped compared to ironbreakers, they just looked way cooler. Paladin is usually a good choice too.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited March 2017
    -Can it solo challenging content?

-Is it fun? (for me of course)

-Does it have pets?

-Are the pet mechanics actually good?

-Are the pets actually useful, and can tank and have abilities?...(not just another DOT spell)

-Is it evil? (warlock/necromancer/demon summoner etc)

-Is it also useful in groups? (because soloing is boring if that is the only thing to do (and I also still group 85-90% of the time, even in WoW)

-Is it a class not many people play? (though less of a requirement)

If yes to everything above, that is the class I play. If the MMO does NOT have that class, I don't play.

That class btw is Warlock in WoW. The best class in any newer MMO, and not many people play it either. I have yet to find another MMO that matches all my requirements for a class.

Most pets in MMOs are stupid and annoying as hell, and useless. Like the necro in GW2 is lame. A necro is about hordes of minions, not a few. And the pet AI in GW2 is even stupider. 

Although, Necro combined with certain other classes in GW1 is my #1 favorite, even more than the WoW warlock. GW1 necro was the best. (but actually, every class in GW1 was pretty amazing. So many build potential, so many abilities, skills etc. It was just amazing). But for newer MMOs that are still up to date, nothing has beat WoW warlock thus far.

Post edited by TheScavenger on

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Kyleran said:
    GladDog said:
    The tankiest tank followed by the healiest healer.  Anything else is just fluff.
    I feel the exact opposite. 

A good DPS finds tanks and healers as nothing more than an annoyance.
    Good DPS, as if...  B)

Which means?...? Uh, you're not.

Sorry you've been relegated to the lower (and mostly unnecessary) ranks of playing tank and healer. ;)