Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming chair

ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
I'm looking for a good and decent office/gaming chair to replace my old (and almost decomposing :D ) chair. I've looked at the Drift 100 and I think that's a nice one, but am looking at other options though.

Comments

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    You will hear this from other, but take yourself to your local furniture place and sit in chairs for extended periods of time and see which one you like. If you really want to take the time and do it right, this is the way to do it. Bring a book, sit in the chair for a few hours and see how your body responds.

I would avoid purchasing any chair online. It is a gamble and a stupid gamble at that. You have no idea how it fits to your body type and you are basically throwing money at some random investment. I should know, I have gotten a few chairs offline during my younger years (One of them being the DXracer) and the chairs were not worth it.

On another note, back problems are no joke. A bad chair can give you a bad back. Even if you are young and you don't notice it, that bad chair you purchased at a young age will catch up to you when you get older. Make sure there is back and butt support that fits your body type. If you are a skinnier guy with a hard butt, you will need more padding under your rump. You can give a bit more if you have more junk in the trunk.

Also make sure the height is right to your desk. Your chair should be able to adjust high/low enough so that your arms are at 90 Degree angles (or less). If not, you are at risk of carpel tunnel syndrome, or developing it a lot faster.

Anyways, here are some things to take away. http://greatist.com/grow/ergonomic-tips-sitting
    You can just google "How to sit at your desk" if you are afraid of the link. All important.

GL.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Thanks @Coated. I know about ergonomics and desks. Just didn't know that gaming chairs could be that bad though. I figured that with all those handles you could just set them the way you wanted without problem. I'll visit a couple of local furniture shops coming weekend then and hope they have a good chair I can sit in as well as the one I bought over 10 years ago (which was actually a table chair). I'll also look at online stores for their return policy. If I can buy a chair and test it for a couple of days I'd be more than happy as well.
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    I am a disable veteran and sit most of the time now due to injuries myself.  As Coated said, your chair is very important to your health,  I went ahead and spent the money and bought one of the chairs they had at the x-ray departments for the radiologist and it is the most comfortable chair I have sat in.  They are very expensive but it is worth it.  All mesh chair which means never getting hot from sitting, which is a big thing for me.  The only down side is if you are over 6'2" then the back will be short.  Just use this as an idea and try and find one cheaper somewhere that you can try first.  Stay away from leather and plastic lined chairs not worth the money and not good for prolonged sitting either for gaming.

http://ergohuman.com/ergohuman-chair-me7erg-high-back-with-headrest-and-mesh/

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited March 2017
    k61977 said:
    I am a disable veteran and sit most of the time now due to injuries myself.  As Coated said, your chair is very important to your health,  I went ahead and spent the money and bought one of the chairs they had at the x-ray departments for the radiologist and it is the most comfortable chair I have sat in.  They are very expensive but it is worth it.  All mesh chair which means never getting hot from sitting, which is a big thing for me.  The only down side is if you are over 6'2" then the back will be short.  Just use this as an idea and try and find one cheaper somewhere that you can try first.  Stay away from leather and plastic lined chairs not worth the money and not good for prolonged sitting either for gaming.

http://ergohuman.com/ergohuman-chair-me7erg-high-back-with-headrest-and-mesh/

I'm also a disabled Vet.  Thanks for the link i'm definitely interested in this chair :+1:
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I've had good luck with Serta. Not cheap, but also not terribly pricey as far as chairs go, and pretty comfy to sit in for long durations.

But yeah, go sit in one.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Thanks for the link! I am also a Disabled vet, and finding a chair I can do homework/game/relax in is a serious issue. I go to the gym and lift quite a bit, in order to alleviate pain, and all I want to do when I get back to the house is relax for a bit. The mesh on these chairs would mean it would be easier to keep clean. Thanks again.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    posture is kind of important when selecting a chair, firstly i would ignore most of the so called gaming chairs that add all kinds of gadgets and speakers etc that are supposed to 'enhance' your gameplay, and go for a chair that is comfortable and supports good posture while sitting, office chairs of this type tend to be expensive but totally worth it. :o
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Gaming chair is my next upgrade.  I want to get one of those racing chairs, but Coated brings up a good point about trying them out before buying, which you can't do online.  These things are hundreds, too.

Thing is, twitch streamers swear by them.  Granted they get them for free to promote them, but they do sit in the things and game for 8 hours a day and don't complain.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Phry said:
    posture is kind of important when selecting a chair, firstly i would ignore most of the so called gaming chairs that add all kinds of gadgets and speakers etc that are supposed to 'enhance' your gameplay, and go for a chair that is comfortable and supports good posture while sitting, office chairs of this type tend to be expensive but totally worth it. :o
    The ones I'm looking for at the moment are indeed deluxe office chairs (around €150) which are also labeled director and gaming chairs. No fuzz of extra gadgets in the chairs or that kind of stuff. And yeah, posture is indeed important - I know that.

...just remembered we have a relaxing chair shop in our local living mall - think I'll check there first coming weekend. I bet they'll be expensive, but it'll give me a good idea what to look for ;)