Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cant Buy Classic games on the Nintendo Switch?!

JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
I went into the eshop on the switch and there is like 5 games to buy, no option to  browse for classic games, I really hope i am missing something, A big part of me purchasing this system was the ability to play classic NES games?
  • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Comments

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Yeah... I actually laughed when I first looked at the eshop. It's just so empty.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    So is this not a option in the switch? Are they adding it later? Im really pissed

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Well i found this http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/23/14709756/nintendo-switch-no-virtual-console-at-launch 
    I would love to know who made this decision, I dont understand what they gain by holding back the retro games? Other than piss people like me off, I was really looking forward to bouncing between Zelda BOTW and some classic mario and tysons punchout. O well, hopefully zelda is good enough ill be so wrapped up in it i wont wanna play anything else.  
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    The truth is, Nintendo is so far behind sony and microsoft as far as their online service goes.  It's laughable how terrible it's been on ever single console since the Wii.  While I feel for you, I'm not at all surprised by Nintendo on this move.  They really need to get their heads out of their asses.
    edited March 2017
    This is my first nintendo console since the original in 86, but i have seen the wii cash shop , it was awesome packed with all the old games i assumed the switch would be the same, I just dont get it, they are costing themselves money, TAKE MY MONEY NINTENDO!
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    thunderC said:
    This is my first nintendo console since the original in 86, but i have seen the wii cash shop , it was awesome packed with all the old games i assumed the switch would be the same, I just dont get it, they are costing themselves money, TAKE MY MONEY NINTENDO!
    You should of just bought a wii u. The Switch doesn't offer anything. It is a 720p tablet........ The wii u has all the retro games. Never did get how nintendo and iphone can sell obsolete garbage and charge triple what its worth lol. I mean the switch is worse than the cell phone i owned 6 years ago. 
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    They basically rushed it out to get it out before their financial quarter ended, so they have nice numbers to show to investors. Hey, at least now when they release virtual console, the games will be tied to your nintendo account rather than the console, like it used to be.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    thunderC said:
    You should of just bought a wii u. The Switch doesn't offer anything. It is a 720p tablet........ The wii u has all the retro games. Never did get how nintendo and iphone can sell obsolete garbage and charge triple what its worth lol. I mean the switch is worse than the cell phone i owned 6 years ago. 
    I've always never understood this either. People buy brands not features.
    Chamber of Chains
    thunderC said:
    I take it you won't be buying a switch? lmao
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

thunderC said:
    I can see where you're coming from.  But I don't see how buying a previous generation console that was a failure would make logical sense.  The Wii U will have little to no support in a years time (maybe even sooner).  So even if the Switch atm has a small catelog.  At least you know Nintendo will be supporting it.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited March 2017
    I like the Wii U. The Switch isn't really any more powerful, the Wii U has a very similar tablet (that doesn't have nearly as many frame rate issues, but true, you can't take it more than 30 ft from your console). The Wii U has a huge Virtual Console library and a fairly big library of it's own. It works with Wii peripherals, and it runs all Wii games.

And Wii U's are dirt cheap at Gamestop right now.

I think Switch could be neat, but yea, it's not a Day 0 purchase for me and when I look at it, I just see a Nintendo-branded nVidia Shield.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    thunderC said:
    Now that I saw Zelda runs basically the same on Switch and WiiU there seems to be no reason at all to buy a Switch. 

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    If you're looking to get a Nintendo console and haven't owned one in years, the Wii U is the better value imo. They're cheap and there's a decent library of games. Not to mention backwards compatibility to the Wii and it's library as well. Not to mention a pretty robust virtual console catalog of games as well.

The Switch will most likely become more worth it after year one. It'll have a better library, probably a virtual console, and I would imagine a launch of a better version of Switch, possibly even with a bigger hard drive. You really can't purchase Switch titles digitally, hell Breath of the Wild takes up roughly half of the HDD space, as it's a piddly 32GB.

If the Switch fails, we could see Nintendo in serious trouble.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Maybe you should have done some reading on the Switch before purchasing.  The lack of games has been a major point of contention.  There are some more coming down the pike, but just a few of the classics.  Major game studios so far have not jumped on the bandwagon either.  They are waiting to see if there are enough units sold to justify the conversion effort.
    Ozmodan said:
    Maybe you should have done some reading on the Switch before purchasing.  The lack of games has been a major point of contention.  There are some more coming down the pike, but just a few of the classics.  Major game studios so far have not jumped on the bandwagon either.  They are waiting to see if there are enough units sold to justify the conversion effort.
    Its ok 400 bucks is not going to financially destroy me, Tbh Zelda alone is worth the purchase .
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

thunderC said:
    I can see where you're coming from.  But I don't see how buying a previous generation console that was a failure would make logical sense.  The Wii U will have little to no support in a years time (maybe even sooner).  So even if the Switch atm has a small catelog.  At least you know Nintendo will be supporting it.
    You seem to be the only one who gets it. 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

thunderC said:
    thunderC said:
    You seem to be the only one who gets it. 
    I have my moments :+1:
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    As far as I know no Nintendo console had Virtual Console at launch. It will be added later.

Seeing that you get to play SNES games with the Online subscription that launches later, SNES games will come to VC on the Switch.

If you had bothered to check online a bit, like Nintendolife, you would have known the Switch does not have VC at launch, before you bought it.
    edited March 2017

""If you had bothered to check online a bit, like Nintendolife, you would have known the Switch does not have VC at launch, before you bought it. ""

"Maybe you should have done some reading on the Switch before purchasing"

" The Switch doesn't offer anything. It is a 720p tablet........ The wii u has all the retro games. Never did get how nintendo and iphone can sell obsolete garbage and charge triple what its worth lol. I mean the switch is worse than the cell phone i owned 6 years ago."" 

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited March 2017
    GUYS Thx for all your great suggestions iv decided to trade my switch in for one of these bad boys per advice of the forum!! Thank you so much

SUPABOY! Sup?

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    I heard their paid service for the Switch will also let you play a variety (if not all) the old games. But only for the month you paid for. Once the month is done, you lose the ability to play the games unless you subscription is still active.

Maybe this is not correct, but it is just what I have heard.
    edited March 2017
    thunderC said:

""If you had bothered to check online a bit, like Nintendolife, you would have known the Switch does not have VC at launch, before you bought it. ""

" The Switch doesn't offer anything. It is a 720p tablet........ The wii u has all the retro games. Never did get how nintendo and iphone can sell obsolete garbage and charge triple what its worth lol. I mean the switch is worse than the cell phone i owned 6 years ago."" 

Dont be mad at me that Nintendo are scam artists, and sold you a tablet from 2006 for 400 dollars, and told you it was special. I think my 8 year old pc could prolly run a nintendo switch emulator when it comes out. Lol a dell venune 11 that costs like 150 bucks is 10 times more powerful than that tablet with a controller glued to the side, the venune could prolly even run a nintendo switch emulator. 

I think nintendo are just bastards, milking it up. They 100 percent could of made that tablet 2k. But nah they knew a bunch of people would by a wii u with a bigger screen for 400, so next time they will make a 1080 one, than a 2k one, than a 4k one. While the rest of the world is using 8k tvs, and 4k vr helmets. 

My garbage beater lg phone is better spec wise than the switch..... and its worth like 50 bucks. Wish nintendo had some benchmarking, so i could make fun of the numbers it gets.
    thunderC said:

Dont be mad at me that Nintendo are scam artists, and sold you a tablet from 2006 for 400 dollars, and told you it was special. I think my 8 year old pc could prolly run a nintendo switch emulator when it comes out. Lol a dell venune 11 that costs like 150 bucks is 10 times more powerful than that tablet with a controller glued to the side, the venune could prolly even run a nintendo switch emulator. 

I think nintendo are just bastards, milking it up. They 100 percent could of made that tablet 2k. But nah they knew a bunch of people would by a wii u with a bigger screen for 400, so next time they will make a 1080 one, than a 2k one, than a 4k one. While the rest of the world is using 8k tvs, and 4k vr helmets. 

My garbage beater lg phone is better spec wise than the switch..... and its worth like 50 bucks. Wish nintendo had some benchmarking, so i could make fun of the numbers it gets.
    I own a gaming PC 1080 GPU I7 Core 32 GB yada yada.... I really didn't buy this for "cutting edge" technology and graphics lol I wanted to play the new Zelda and wanted retro games from the 80's, retro games are on the way and Zelda in my opinion is the best open world RPG i have ever played, Im happy with my purchase. I'm fortunate enough that i can spend 400 bucks on my hobby with no regrets.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

I heard their paid service for the Switch will also let you play a variety (if not all) the old games. But only for the month you paid for. Once the month is done, you lose the ability to play the games unless you subscription is still active.

Maybe this is not correct, but it is just what I have heard.
    Yup read the same thing, By fall the retro shop is coming
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

edited March 2017
    thunderC said:
    thunderC said:

I own a gaming PC 1080 GPU I7 Core 32 GB yada yada.... I really didn't buy this for "cutting edge" technology and graphics lol I wanted to play the new Zelda and wanted retro games from the 80's, retro games are on the way and Zelda in my opinion is the best open world RPG i have ever played, Im happy with my purchase. I'm fortunate enough that i can spend 400 bucks on my hobby with no regrets.
    Maybe if you would stop throwing money at them. They would stop coming out with utter garbage, and make Zelda and mario for pc, ps4, xbox, android, or iphone. Instead you just keep telling them, you guys are bad ass hardware makers keep it up, when really the only reason you bought it was to play zelda. Which easily could of been played on any other tablet or phone. 

It isnt really even about the money, or that, and I do understand it. I own a Ninendo, and i just bought mario 3 for 30 bucks. The point is, if we stopped giving them money, which I am refusing they will become what they should be, a software company. Or not it really doesnt matter. Some one will hack the switch and make it for pc.