Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics Remastering Project Shown at GDC - Black Desert Online - MMORPG.com

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I agree with others and seems VERY odd,the graphics are quite good enough as is.\I quit this game very quickly and definitely not because of graphics.

So the odd questions arise ...WHO influenced this weird decision and if they are devoting time to graphics how many issues are they ignoring that the community actually wants?

When i enter a game ,immediately start  dissecting ideas because i want to know if a game will be my long term home.Everywhere i looked the game design was at least to me a big time fail,i had such a distaste for the design i could not accept ANY of it,except of course the graphics.

However it reminds me a lot of FFXIV,another game i wanted to like.The simularity is in the design,it is so locked into a system that there is imo no way to improve it unless you scrap the entire game and start over,so perhaps this is the truth as to why they aim at an area they can change?Combat is so way out in left field,no way can anything help it,automated systems would need to be made IMMERSIVE and remove the automated design,so yeah it is a game that cannot be fixed and why i gave up on it right away.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2017
    Disantia said:
    I'm surprised people STILL haven't realized there are multiple teams/departments at video game studios/companies. The graphics team can't do a damn thing about class balancing or cash shop prices.
    This is very true and although sometimes i just lazily mention one generalization ,i do not mean it to be as such.I feel too often people in forums can't think outside the very words they read and in many cases ideas should really be obvious and not need to be further explained.

However like any organized business,they will have a producer,a project lead,board meetings involving ceo/investors etc etc.All it takes is one real bad apple with influence/power to ruin an entire game/design.

This is why i raised the question as to HOW or WHO could possibly influence what is my own and likely 99% everyone else\s idea that the graphics did not need a single minute of resources/money devoted to it at THIS time.

As a business you sort of cater to your fans as well try to gain new ones.Well which side is this idea catering to because i see it as nobody.Fans i am certain were not complaining and i am on the outside having quit the game and i am not complaining about graphics either.so it is like a very dumbfounded decision.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The game looks better with those filters or whatever they are turned off rather than with them turned on, and motion blur? thats for consoles, not PC's.
  • ortheneorthene Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Fix the overall server performance priority 1 , next the desync , then think about balancing in both pvp and gear upgrading.  Once those are addressed i might go back.  I have just shy of 4000 hours played and quit due to the issues i stated above.  I love the game but the core mechanics have, imo, game breaking issues for those who want to enjoy end game content properly. 
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Recore said:
    One day you all might find something to play but I hope you do not.  :p

Come on now, Recore.  
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Recore said:

One may also think for the amount of time you camp BDO threads you don't actually play it as much as you like to cheerlead for it. But of course you can do both, just like those that have (valid) criticisms can both do that and play thier titles of choice, which could still be BDO. ;)

Let's keep in mind this site isn't just to cheerlead MMOs. As hard as it can be in the feels department for hardcore fans of any specific title, this site is meant more for criticism than praise.
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

Sovrath said:

The graphics are the ONLY reason I don't play this game. It hurts my eyes and gives me a headache.

If you are talking about the colors you can change that in game. If the pop-ins give you headaches then is another thing.

it's not just the pop-ins, the textures/shadows are flickering when you move giving the image a swirling feel that can give you a headache. Static images are not what the game looks like in motion.
  • Reaperman69Reaperman69 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    you guys complain too much just appreciate whats coming and wait for more.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Already was the best visual mmo both in graphics and animations imo, this just seems silly. Over 75% of their features need improving, as the info graphic just released obviously states, the graphics was not one of them. Plus, the improvement looks very minor with everything just being slightly more blurry and shiny.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Forgrimm said:
    DMKano said:
    This should have literally been the bottom of the list thing to work on.
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw the article. The game has arguably some of the best graphics in any mmo. Not sure why improving them would even be on the priority list.
    Graphics are low hanging fruit that can grab allot of attention.  Improving game-play is the secret sauce that few developers have the talent on staff to actually pull off.  The way a game ships at launch game-play wise is a good indication of the capabilities of the current staff.  So don't expect much in the way of improvement in those areas from most games.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Without an extended side by side that isn't muddled by lossy compression for a YouTube video, it's hard to get a clean comparison. From a cursory look, it seems to me that they make the game have brighter colors, but it also looks blurry and isn't an improvement over what they started with.
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    I think the comments about other things that some feel should've gotten priority are directed at the overall management NOT the in the individual departments. Top management would be the ones that gave the green light to the graphic "tweaking" not the "art department".
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

Recore said:

We already got some salt in this thread.

Some just can not accept it.

Maybe you can't accept the fact that other people feel different about the game than you?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Next up, a huge optimization update for WoW.  Too demanding on system resources as it stands!

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628

Forgrimm said:

DMKano said:

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the article. The game has arguably some of the best graphics in any mmo. Not sure why improving them would even be on the priority list.

Maybe more of an underlying business decision perhaps.
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    This thing makes Black Desert look worse.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853

Avarix said:

Disantia said:

I'm surprised people STILL haven't realized there are multiple teams/departments at video game studios/companies. The graphics team can't do a damn thing about class balancing or cash shop prices.

The graphics team won't be the same team responsible for bug fixes, true enough. However, it costs money to employ the graphics team. Quite a bit I imagine. Money that could be better spent elsewhere. For instance they could get rid of the graphics team, and then go on to use that money to hire more people in debugging.

Just an observation. I don't play the game so I don't have a dog in this fight, at all.

The graphics team of always going to be employed. They are always going to be making improvements.

When a new area or new class is released who do you think created them? The server team? Nope. The sound team? Wrong again. The bug testing team? Strike three. The graphics team? Yes, the graphics team.

And while they are busy creating new zones and classes they are also working on new graphics techniques. Like God Rays, motion blur and bloom. Which can be implemented into any 3D game.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Tiller said:

Recore said:

Maybe you can't accept the fact that other people feel different about the game than you?

I do not care how you or they feel. My stance is still the same as it has been since beta.
    If you do not like then do not play it.

We have to keep you all on the forums and out of our games.

Now back to testing out this Dark Knight class and looking foward to the visual update.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Aelious said:
    Recore said:

One may also think for the amount of time you camp BDO threads you don't actually play it as much as you like to cheerlead for it. But of course you can do both, just like those that have (valid) criticisms can both do that and play thier titles of choice, which could still be BDO. ;)

Let's keep in mind this site isn't just to cheerlead MMOs. As hard as it can be in the feels department for hardcore fans of any specific title, this site is meant more for criticism than praise.

You are one of those I am talking about.  ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• LucienReneLucienRene Member UncommonPosts: 77
    edited March 2017
    Beautiful graphics didn't need improvement.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Ozmodan said:
    Xiaoki said:
    DMKano said:

The graphics are great as they are - what really needs dev attention are gameplay issues such as:

Server performance

52-60 PvE leveling basiclaly being Sausans and Pirates eventhough there is 99.9999% of landmass that could be used to spread grind spots around

The cancerous gear upgrade process, at least have a way of locking down failstacks that alone would help a ton

Making classes other than Warrior, Sorc, Ranger and Zerk and Wiz/Witch viable in PvP

Removing restrictions on player trade

Perhaps looking at some cash shop pricing - $30 for a costume is more than the game iteslf - heck you can buy real clothes for that much money.

PvP needs actual meaning - node wars and castle sieges are a dud - look at the stats:

Total players who died in a siege - 7K NA and 7K in EU, I mean that speaks volumes of actual participation

etc...

But this is just VFX work- and IMO some examples look a lot better without the background blurring - so IMO this was a waste.
    You do realize that the people implementing graphical improvements like this wont be the same people that work on the servers, right?

And, well, the rest of your list is just personal nitpicking.
    Doh! They are still taking up space on the devleopers bankroll!  I am sure that money could be put in a much better place fixing some of these issues.  Rather difficult to call major issues, nitpicking.
    I was going to say the same thing. It doesn't matter which team is working on what, funding comes from the same place. They clearly have the wrong priorities by investing on remastering graphics instead of investing that money on the performance and server team.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    edited March 2017

Recore said:

Tiller said:

Recore said:

I do not care how you or they feel. My stance is still the same as it has been since beta.

If you do not like then do not play it.

We have to keep you all on the forums and out of our games.

Now back to testing out this Dark Knight class and looking foward to the visual update.

How old are you? Grown enough to have an intelligent conversation with other adults here without sounding like a 4chan ignoramus with your random troll bait comments all the time correct? You are either overly sensitive about this game or trolling, or both.

I play many many games including BDO, and in my opinion, (as well as many others here) this game has some areas in gameplay mechanics that some of us feel need improvement beyond graphics. Sorry if you disagree, and I'm glad you like the graphics update. I'm more than free to share my opinion wherever I am able to do so, as are you, but unlike you I will do it without the level of toxicity and childish trollishness you present in your arguments.

"We have to keep you all on the forums and out of our games." -Recore

Because that worked out so well for many MMOs in the past where a majority of players hated a particular feature.

I think you honestly need to grow up.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I love my wife... a lot, but Recore obviously loves BDO more than I love my wife.   =)
  • xion12121xion12121 Member UncommonPosts: 199

I'd rather they spend more effort improving the gameplay...

Yah Like maybe adding some actual pve content. and more pvp content

I would give you a guest pass to SWOTR, but then I wouldn't be able to find a way to live with myself afterwards....