New Torment game?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member RarePosts: 1,723
Has anyone bought Torment: Tides of Numenera on Steam or elsewhere?  I somehow missed Planescape: Torment in my formative years.  I've heard good things about the original.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Paradise City, FLMember LegendaryPosts: 26,274
    There's a MMORPG.com review, but its dropped to page 2 on the News feed. (at least on my phone)

On hiatus from EVE Online since Dec 2016 - Screw off-grid PVE boosting changes

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Loke666Loke666 KalmarMember EpicPosts: 20,805
    I liked the original game at least but I havn't had the time to get it yet, lots of overtime and I am renovating a house so I don't have much time for a new game until I actually moved in and have everything in place. Unless I get the flu of course...
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,445
    edited March 2
    Catherine Daro has a review here: http://www.gamespace.com/torment-tides-numenera/review/

I bought it on GoG and have been playing using a PS4 controller. I haven't gotten very far, but I like what little I have seen. PS4 controls are excellent on the PC except I still need to use the keyboard to access the systems menu.

There could be spoilers below but I don't think they're much if at all.

The character creation is interaction, story-driven, and decision based. When you go through the first part of the game it will present you with situations and through the choices you make a class and character suggestions are made. You can choose to just go with the suggestion, or you can review all the classes, personality choices, and skills/attributes and then choose what you want.

There is a lot of text to read and I haven't done much combat. It reminds me a lot of Planescape: Torment (one of my all time favorites) in the presentation style and player interaction, but not the plot and character system (those were D&D based this isn't). But it is very similar in that you start out a lot like The Nameless One in Planescape: Torment looking for answers to who you are, were, what you are or were, and what you need to do to find out the whole truth.

If you're looking for a combat oriented cRPG like Icewind Dale or even Baldur's Gate or Path of Exile then this might not deliver. If you're looking for a story game where choices can change how the story unfolds then you might like this. 
    Post edited by Torval on
    Notice: The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Album: Plastic Fantastic
    Featured Tracks: Decline and Fall, Time & Space, I Go Crazy (bonus track on digital release)
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson USAMember EpicPosts: 2,238
    I've seen nothing but positive reviews.  If you like other CRPGS like baldur's gate and icewind dale I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  • PigozzPigozz CMember UncommonPosts: 853
    Has anyone bought Torment: Tides of Numenera on Steam or elsewhere?  I somehow missed Planescape: Torment in my formative years.  I've heard good things about the original.  Any thoughts?
    I guess you heard this before but Im gonna do it one more time:

Play Planescape:Torment

That game has no equal in storytelling, its an emotional ride from start to the end

Good thing about torment is that thanks to its beautiful 2D engine it still looks really nice even today

But remember Torment is more like an interactive book than an RPG (even tho the combat is hella fun as well and top tier spells having their own cinematics) , so reading EVERYTHING is absolutely essential to understand the depth of the story and the world

Plus it perfectly sits on the edge of wackiness and seriousness (flying skull flirting with hookers, killing people with your own cut off hand etc...)

MMOs played chronologically:
    Runescape,Lineage II, WoW,Tabula Rasa, AoC,Eve Online,Guild Wars, Rift(beta only),SWTOR(beta only),Star Trek Online
    Most fun: Tabula Rasa