Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future MMORPGs: Do we really need a Monk class?

Comments

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Zuljan said:
    Monks were always offtanks not tanks. Seeing as they pull and take lots of damage in the process, it always made sense to me they got an AC boost. Without him you had SKs pulling and FD failing or warriors raw-dogging 4 packs (which is what happened if you didn't have a chanter). They also didn't have endurance issues like rogues in raid situations and featured different combat mechanics/disciplines to feel fresher than other melee classes. Cool class like the Beastlord; uncommonly played but 100% necessary to maximize a group/raid. No doubt it'll be a fun, complete class in Pantheon
    In EQ2 Monks are quite often progression raiding main tanks. So it depends on the game.
    No matter their inspiration, monks are warrior monks who specialize in martial arts.

European mediveal ages also knew martial arts. It was just less common and less developed, because metal was much easier and cheaper to get in Europe than in Japan. But otherwise theres nothing specifically asian about martial arts. The idea is universally known all over the world.

To elaborate a bit:
    Martial Arts or Wrestling, was actually very well developed in Europe in the middle ages. Wrestling was integral to any Weapon Master's Curriculum, especially if you were going to be armored. Hell, wrestling was even a practiced sport back then.

Ever heard of greco-roman wrestling? It's an Olympic sport wrestling has been a martial sport for at least 3,000 years.
    Nyctelios said:
    Your interpretation of tank is twisted by mmorpg holy trinity mentality.
    Dude, there isnt even a trinity in D&D
    Depends on how you play D&D, we have had this argument before.
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Monk is just another way of saying martial artist. I don't see the problem. 
    What seems to be left out in discussions about monks in a fantasy context is that there were many orders of Christian monks that were martial: the Templars, the Hospitlers, the Teutonic knights and many others.  These are completely different to Asian monks and the fantasy Shaolin monks.
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Yes, I would say we do, as it is a word the evokes a unique perspective on pious or spiritual warriors.

monk
    məNGk/
    noun
    1. a member of a religious community of men typically living under vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Aori said:
    I'm tired of Monk classes being limited to fists and kicks. How about Bo staff and kicks.
    I always play monks just for kicks.. :P

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Seems like a silly point to pick on. It takes nothing from the game. Most class names have some real world substance. Warrior, Enchanter, Necromancer yet you don't have a problem with them? You can't make a unique name for everything or we would just be spending our time memorizing names. Monk gives you explanations of what the class does. 
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Puller and fieng death in EQ, Loved seeing in chat " TRAIN get out of the Way or Help Yourself "
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Nanfoodle said:
    Seems like a silly point to pick on. It takes nothing from the game. Most class names have some real world substance. Warrior, Enchanter, Necromancer yet you don't have a problem with them? You can't make a unique name for everything or we would just be spending our time memorizing names. Monk gives you explanations of what the class does. 
    Yep but you then descend into silliness yourself what 'real world substance' do enchanter and necromancer have? As for 'monk' giving you an 'explanation' of what the class does WTF?

Say that we have acquired a set of (mostly) shared EXPECTATIONS of what monks, enchanters and necromancers do in fantasy games and I would agree with you.
    Nanfoodle said:
    Yep but you then descend into silliness yourself what 'real world substance' do enchanter and necromancer have? As for 'monk' giving you an 'explanation' of what the class does WTF?

Say that we have acquired a set of (mostly) shared EXPECTATIONS of what monks, enchanters and necromancers do in fantasy games and I would agree with you.
     If you don't know what necromancy is I don't know how to help you. I will pick just on that alone because I don't care to hand hold you for all of them. Death magic is something humans have been practicing as far back as human history is written. For all we know before that as well. Let me introduce you to a great tool called www.google.com it can stop you from saying silly things by looking them up first. 
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Rusque said:
    ...imagine a person being able to punch really hard.
    My imagination:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
    Nanfoodle said::
    Nanfoodle said:

If you don't know what necromancy is I don't know how to help you. I will pick just on that alone because I don't care to hand hold you for all of them. Death magic is something humans have been practicing as far back as human history is written. For all we know before that as well. Let me introduce you to a great tool called www.google.com it can stop you from saying silly things by looking them up first. 
    ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you really just say that????

"""""Necromancy"""""" is real ????????

No my friend necromancy is pure fantasy, a fantasy that has a long history, but not part of the real world at all.
    Nanfoodle said:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No my friend necromancy is pure fantasy, a fantasy that has a long history, but not part of the real world at all.
     Googled "history of necromancy" told to before you looked silly. 

Necromancy (derived from the Greek nekros, meaning "dead," and manteia, meaning "divination") is the evocation of the dead to obtain omens about future events or secret facts. ... Necromancy is a practice that originated in ancient Persia, Greece, and Rome, but was most popular during the Middle Ages, and is rare today.

Nanfoodle said:c
    Nanfoodle said:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Googled "history of necromancy" told to before you looked silly. 

Necromancy (derived from the Greek nekros, meaning "dead," and manteia, meaning "divination") is the evocation of the dead to obtain omens about future events or secret facts. ... Necromancy is a practice that originated in ancient Persia, Greece, and Rome, but was most popular during the Middle Ages, and is rare today.

ROFLMAO! Doubling down on it too!!

A two thousand year old fantasy is still a fantasy. And by the way although your wiki page lumps those things under the heading necromancy they did not use the term at that time it had various names in various places at various times but it was always FANTASY!

It is not part of the real world. It never has been.
  • CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Umm, voodoo is still practiced, even today.  Also,  those who commune with their dead ancestors is a form of necromancy as well (no matter what they prefer to call it) 
    Catibrie said:
    Umm, voodoo is still practiced, even today.  Also,  those who commune with their dead ancestors is a form of necromancy as well (no matter what they prefer to call it) 
    Yes but is it real?

Also much of voodoo is nothing to do with the dead.
    Catibrie said:
    Yes but is it real?

Also much of voodoo is nothing to do with the dead.
     And yet they practice necromancy in voodoo to this day. By real do you mean dose it have real power? Can people cast real spells? 
    For those who practice such things, yes it is very real
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited March 2017
    To the societies that practiced it, it was real enough.

It's also the type of history that's inspired us to have games like this. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    To the societies that practiced it, it was real enough.

It's also the type of history that's inspired us to have games like this. 
     That was my point, if the name Monk should not be used because it's real part of history. Then we will be removing many names from our fantasy stories and games. 
    edited March 2017
    https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uDYba0m6ztE

You all should get into the sack.

Edit: sorry can't seem to embed the clip properly, maybe I need the help of a necromancer?   LOL
    edited March 2017
    Yeah, so that comedian was funny, not what I would call an authority on such matters tho. Thing is,  just because you yell louder than others, doesn't make you right. 
    I'm done with the silliness, good day 
    Catibrie said:
    Yeah, so that comedian was funny, not what I would call an authority on such matters tho. Thing is,  just because you yell louder than others, doesn't make you right. 
    I'm done with the silliness, good day 
    Yep I am done with this silliness too. Not because the idea of necromacy being part of the real world is not silly, because it is. Not because of your silly post (how can someone be louder than someone else on an internet forum?).

But because this is getting closer and closer to the line on religious posting and I don't want to cross that line.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited March 2017
    Laugh all you like @craftseeker

Things like the reading of bones and the visiting of Oracles are things that gave people like Alexander the Great the courage and the confidence to do the things they did.

The effect those beliefs had and have on our world are very real.

Did those bones really tell them something? Well us floating around this universe on our little pea called Earth talking about this shit proves it's possible.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee