Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

who cares

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
edited March 2017 in Hardware
Nvidia has a countdown right now and a lot of people think its for the 1080 Ti.   I'm here to tell you why that assumption is wrong and what is really getting announced.   

Volta is getting the spotlight March 1.

The volta drivers were recently found in the last driver update for the GPU's.  The discovery was made when people searched the driver code for the 1080 Ti code and instead they found the Volta code was added.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-volta-12nm-finfet/
Are you onto something or just on something?
Post edited by filmoret on

Comments

• EvarduneEvardune Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited February 2017
    The Ti in Time is BOLD. No it is not Volta, sorry.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/

Post edited by Evardune on
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Let's get TSMC's take on this, since they're supposedly going to make the chips:

http://www.tsmc.com/english/dedicatedFoundry/technology/future_rd.htm

They're working on 10 nm and will tell you about it.  They're working on 7 nm and will tell you about that, too.  But nothing about 12 nm.  Foundries generally talk about what's coming far ahead of time, as partners need to know what's coming that they should design their chips for.  Otherwise, a newly available process node couldn't have any customers for a couple of years after it was ready.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Ok I was wrong.  Maybe
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Evardune said:
    The Ti in Time is BOLD. No it is not Volta, sorry.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/

I believe that crystal like formation is also titanium...
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
    They believe Nvidia purposely lead them astray naming the file for the 1080 Ti something that resembles volta.   I mean last update they added drivers for a new card and it looks like it was a volta card not the 1080.  Guess we will see in a few days.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    filmoret said:
    Ok I was wrong.  Maybe
    the community has become accustomed to it , no worries
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    edited February 2017
    Scorchien said:
    filmoret said:
    Ok I was wrong.  Maybe

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

To add the Volta in the public drivers does seem odd if they only have a few prototypes.
    Torval said:
    filmoret said:
    To add the Volta in the public drivers does seem odd if they only have a few prototypes.
    Depends on how you look at it I guess. If they add driver support for those early and it adversely affects anything they will have dealt with that before launch. It will give business partners a chance to test those drivers as well.

I would think full driver support for development hardware is probably not in the release version of their drivers right now. Placeholders maybe, but I get the impression they hold drivers for cards back until release so hardware review sites don't test and release results early.
    Yea here's the link where the people found the Volta drivers.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/matthew-wilson/first-traces-of-volta-spotted-in-new-nvidia-driver/

there is also strong rumors that the volta is going to launch this year.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/01/22/nvidia-corporation-volta-architecture-rumor-emerges.html
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Launch can mean many different things.  Did GP100 launch last May when Nvidia announced it--before the GeForce GTX 1080?  Or will it launch next month when you can actually buy a commercially available card based no it?  Or do only GeForce cards count as launch, in which case, it may or may not ever "launch"?

Regardless, you should realize that the rumor source is just an assertion from some random person posting on a forum like this one.  There's quite a difference between credible leaks and things that could easily be a random person making things up.  I once saw an example on a forum where someone said something clearly just guessing about future hardware, and then some site picked it up and published it as a rumor.  Then a bunch of other sites picked it up and posted about it, too.  And the original source made it clear that he was just guessing.

It's reasonable to guess that Nvidia will launch something that is technically Volta in 2017.  It's also reasonable to guess that the tape out for the first Volta chip will be in 2017 and actual launch won't be until 2018.  It's also reasonable to guess that Volta is intended for 10 nm or 7 nm or something definitely not 14/16 nm and process node delays will mean it's not available until 2019.  Reasonable guesses are a long way from credible leaks.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited February 2017
    Sounds a lot like Pascal, where GP100 was announced for Tesla in April 2016, Geforces didn't arrive until a couple of months later that summer (in limited volume, sans HBM2), and lo and behold, we still don't have a shipping GP100.

Although, in all fairness, I suspect the delay on GP100 has more to do with HBM2 than it does Pascal - although i couldn't say if it was memory availability from Samsung/Hynix, or nVidia's implementation of the memory controller/interposer, or something else entirely.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Scorchien said:
    filmoret said:
    Ok I was wrong.  Maybe
    It's all part of the forum transformation process. Once a person's name turns purple they start posting ridiculous garbage and when their ego grows big enough that they can no longer recognize how ridiculous they sound, their name turns orange.

Scorchien said:
    filmoret said:
    Ok I was wrong.  Maybe
    It's all part of the forum transformation process. Once a person's name turns purple they start posting ridiculous garbage and when their ego grows big enough that they can no longer recognize how ridiculous they sound, their name turns orange.
    Big boys are talking you should be quiet and sit down.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    filmoret said:
    Scorchien said:
    filmoret said:
    Ok I was wrong.  Maybe
    Big boys are talking you should be quiet and sit down.
    Thanks for proving my point, scooter. Well done.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited March 2017
    And it's... A TI with GDDR5/X memory.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Typically when people are blatantly wrong they should quietly and humbly accept it, not try and build straw men around the original mistake. It is 2017 though...
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I did admit I was wrong.  Maybe you should read before puking next time.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Maybe if I hide the point in driver update code as to purposely lead data miners astray...
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Typically when people are blatantly wrong they should quietly and humbly accept it, not try and build straw men around the original mistake. It is 2017 though...
    So you aren't going to follow your own advice.  Since you are so blatantly wrong about me maybe its time to humbly accept it instead of doing the straw man thing.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    Ah, but you failed to fall on your sword,  sort of expected by the cackling hens here. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    filmoret said:
    Ok I was wrong.  Maybe

Ah, but you failed to fall on your sword,  sort of expected by the cackling hens here. ;)
    Maybe.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    edited March 2017
    Wow the 1080's price dropped to $500 and the Ti is going to be priced brand new at $700.  And the Ti is 35% faster.  Honestly after reading that article it looks like Nvidia has raised a standard to keep themselves clearly on top undisputed.
    I like Filmoret's signature. It seems oddly appropriate here.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    The grease fire in the kitchen must have gotten so hot it melted some of the thread title.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams