Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back to mmo's after 5+ months, but which one?

rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693
Long story short I got very ill, spent a long time in a hospital and physical rehab, im most recovered now and im looking to get back into mmo's to keep myself busy.

I own a few, but not really sure what to get into and whats been realeased lately.

I am wanting a pvp oriented mmo, was thinking guild wars 2, or elder scrolls online.

For both I own the base game, but if I got serioulsy into it I "think" I may have to buy the expansions.

How hard is it to get into either one as of right now, I know they been around for a while now and is there any catching up?

I also like games that are either in open beta or higher status, No wipes, and have high population servers.

Is there any mmo's that launched in the last 5 months that would anyone thinks I may like?

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I always say, if you don't feel like spending more money on the hopes a game will be good enough, play the ones you got.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Black Desert is pretty pvp oriented at max level and pretty to boot.  Worth a shot, as it's B2P.  I've considered downloading it even though it wasn't for me simply because I still own it lol.

• rubydragon5rubydragon5 Member UncommonPosts: 693

Black Desert is pretty pvp oriented at max level and pretty to boot.  Worth a shot, as it's B2P.  I've considered downloading it even though it wasn't for me simply because I still own it lol.

I actually own it too, but I had trouble getting into it.

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    edited February 2017
    Elder Scrolls Online is a great game for long term with a good pvp community great access to gear. Great justice rules can totally be a murderer and thief and get loads of cash achievements, they have housing now for your time in Tamriel no restrictions on who you can play with until you do PVP which is then faction based.

Additionally I've been playing alot of Defiance lately it's a bit aged but not too old has a great story, loads of weapon types and progression in game is amazing you get currency like crazy for both upgrades and enhancements and as long as you keep earning (which is reasonable btw it's stupid hard to get scrip) then you can update all of your gear to max if you find a perfect set that you want to keep.

Oh sorry, didn't realize you asked for the past five months. Really the newer games have alot of bugs, they have concepts that still haven't been made due to their newness at being released so I tend to wait some time before buying any that have been released because of that especially concerning MMOs because the newer they are the more lacking of basic mmo design concepts they'll be.
  • Theosis78Theosis78 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    I play ESO but Im kinda pooped right now as Ive finished all the solo stuff and I cant really do group stuff. Its very solo friendly though. It also has a great population of people always willing to help with almost anything.

I also have Black Desert but i couldn't get into it either.
    I'm seeking a firefly type game. If anyone knows a place in the verse were I can be a big damned hero let me know.
  • PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63

Let's be honest, BDO is not B2P which insinuates that you buy the game and that's it in terms of monetization.  It's a F2P Cash Shop driven  game in that you can get ahead by purchasing cash shop items like the 30 day value pack (which some argue is like Patron in AA or ESO+ in ESO).  In a game with no level cap and a very PvP focused end game, getting ahead = winning.  

Ahem, note my profile pic.

I'd stay away from any F2P cash shop games unless you don't care about how much you have to spend to play a game and enjoy it.  WoW, ESO, FFXIV and GW2 would be my recommendations.  All have proven their commitment to quality development and customer retention.  They play the long game and won't disappear from the radar in 6 months.  ESO(Morrowind) and FFXIV(Stormblood) have major content updates planned for this summer.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear Blizzard announce a large Legion update for this summer too.  GW2 I'm less familiar with, but I believe they recently had a large update to their Living Story.
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Black desert onl8ne if you are looking for a very deep game..warning though you will have to alt tab at times to learn all the mechanics at play . the game can be complicated but very rewarding if you invest the time..its also currently the best looking mom on the market 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    guild war 2
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Papasmerv said:

Let's be honest, BDO is not B2P which insinuates that you buy the game and that's it in terms of monetization.  It's a F2P Cash Shop driven  game in that you can get ahead by purchasing cash shop items like the 30 day value pack (which some argue is like Patron in AA or ESO+ in ESO).  In a game with no level cap and a very PvP focused end game, getting ahead = winning.  

Ahem, note my profile pic.

I'd stay away from any F2P cash shop games unless you don't care about how much you have to spend to play a game and enjoy it.  WoW, ESO, FFXIV and GW2 would be my recommendations.  All have proven their commitment to quality development and customer retention.  They play the long game and won't disappear from the radar in 6 months.  ESO(Morrowind) and FFXIV(Stormblood) have major content updates planned for this summer.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear Blizzard announce a large Legion update for this summer too.  GW2 I'm less familiar with, but I believe they recently had a large update to their Living Story.

Meh.  He already owns it, can't hurt to give it a shot.

People throw around the term P2W so much now that I just ignore it when I see it.  Everything is P2W according to the internet.  BDO's cash shop doesn't bother me.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    thunderC said:
    Black desert onl8ne if you are looking for a very deep game..warning though you will have to alt tab at times to learn all the mechanics at play . the game can be complicated but very rewarding if you invest the time..its also currently the best looking mom on the market 
    lol  "best looking mom on the market" and "deep"? BDO has none of this. And no idea where the moms in this game are at, but to each his own O.o
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    bdo is way better than sub game like ff14 or wow. bdo has great graphic too. who cares about pay to win. play casually. 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    GW2 is good for spvp, ESO is good for RvR and PVE, BDO is something completely different- its strengths lie in exploration, crafting, trading etc (imo).

If I had a lot of time on my hands and liked group based pvp, I reckon ESO would be the game to focus on. I don't think any mmo relevant to what you are looking for has come out in the last five months.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    BDO is not a bad game, neither are ESO and GW2. 

You will of course be forced to forked up for the expansion of either of the 2 later but you will certainly have to buy stuff in BDO as well unless you play very casually.

From a straight economical point I think GW2 and BDO will still be the cheaper alternatives, you really want to pay the "optional" sub in ESO if you get really into it. But in most cases even with a sub if you play a lot it will still be rather cheap entertainment.

Unless you decides that you like ESO or GW2 a lot and more then the other I suggest this: take a weekend for each of the 3 games and then pick the one you prefer.  We can give you all kind of advice but we are all different and the only way to be certain is to try the games yourself.

Personally, I prefer GW2 but I think both the other 2 are good choices as well. It is possible that once Crowfall and Camelot unchained comes out one of them will offer better PvP but right now those 3 would be my top PvP advice.

Good luck in either case, and have fun with whatever you pick. :)