Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Ryzen goes on sale March 2.

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
They're available for pre-order today.  I'd like to recommend that you don't.  Wait for reviews, as there will be plenty of cards later.  Of course, I'd say about the same about pre-ordering games, and a lot of people don't listen to that, either.

AMD has released benchmarks showing a Ryzen R7 1800X beating an Intel Core i7-6900K by 9% in multi-threaded Cinebench and tying it in single-threaded Cinebench.  That's a benchmark commonly used in CPU reviews, so it's not like AMD conjured up an extreme corner case.  But it's also not the only such benchmark, and shenanigans to cripple hardware are also possible.  Still, AMD is claiming a 52% IPC gain over Excavator, as compared to previous promises of 40%.

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    They are also launching with over 80 motherboards.  My theory is.  They might be off a little but not enough to cause major damage. 
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Aori said:
    I'm really hoping it is a success... the market has been stagnant, it needs this.
    totally agree! which in turn means competitive pricing for all which means lower prices for all as well.
    For some reason intel decided  to skip this generation of chips.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited February 2017
    Intel was the only one for so long. Competition is good for the marketplace, bad for companies like Intel.

I am currently using a Xi3 Z3Pro PC for streaming music (it has a 12 watt AMD 64 bit dual core processor). I am currently running Daphile on it and works flawless (Daphile only works on X86 processors).

GL to AMD!!

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Has Intel had much reason to push ahead?  Now it SEEMS like they have some serious competition, so I would bet that the boys in blue will pull something out of their hat in the next 8-12 months.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I'm going to predict that Zen will be both lower IPC and lower power than Kaby Lake--and lower power by a large enough margin to offer better performance per watt.  Zen will overclock a little, but not enough to catch Kaby Lake if you overclock both.  It typically won't be as fast as Kaby Lake at gaming, but it won't be a very big gap.  Intel will reasonably be able to claim that they've still got the best consumer desktop CPUs and that AMD Ryzen is still the budget option--though it will now be a much more compelling budget option than before and good enough to make a lot of Intel's more budget-friendly CPUs look ridiculous.

Intel's server division, on the other hand, should be very afraid.  It's not just that they'll have serious competition in the x86 server market for the first time in years.  It's that Zen's superior performance per watt and good enough IPC will make Naples the superior option for a whole host of server workloads.  Not all server workloads or anywhere near it, mind you, but a whole lot of them.

I'm not quite willing to make a prediction about laptops, as that depends tremendously on how low Zen's power consumption can go at idle.  If Zen can match or beat Kaby Lake there, then when combined with AMD's far superior GPUs, Raven Ridge will leave Intel as the inferior budget option in laptops all up and down the lineup.

If not, then whether Raven Ridge or Kaby Lake is better for a consumer laptop will mostly be a question of how much you care about battery life.  Yes, I'm assuming that Raven Ridge will have a better GPU than Kaby Lake, but this is like predicting that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.  Once Raven Ridge arrives, Kaby Lake will be completely ridiculous for people who want a budget gaming laptop and don't need very much battery life.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Apparently they're undercutting comparable Intel chips by $500.  Good guy AMD, keeping our prices down.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Whoa that's a hefty drop in price.... good for us the consumers.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited February 2017
    Definitely waiting on independent benchmarks before ordering, I really want to see how the Ryzen 5's stack up, the 7's are a bit overkill for me.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    My best friend no longer works for Intel, so now I can do the same; wait for indy benchmarks so I can make an educated decision about what my next mobo/cpu/memory upgrade will be.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

You know even if they are stretching the truth a bit here.   They won't be able to stretch very far because if the chips perform like the 6850k then the price is intel 600$ vs AMD 500$.  Even if they are off that much its still a good chip for the market and will help quite a bit.

Now if the chips perform like the 3930k then we have a problem.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Still waiting reviews
    I don't think Ryzen will be a bomb. I think AMD just hit a grand slam and it puts Intel on notice to up the ante or else.

I think AMD learned a lesson before and is testing, testing, testing.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    I just got a new CPU a few months ago so I won't get a new one anytime soon but I hope AMD can stay competitive for awhile to keep prices down.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Intel has always served the public best when they have competition.  In times when they have dominated, they meter performance: always has, always will.
  • LoudWisperLoudWisper Member UncommonPosts: 76
    cant even get my Amd working now without thread stuck in device driver.  It will take a lot for me to buy again  

http://wccftech.com/intel-amd-price-war-ryzen-processors/

Take the article with appropriate caution - there are some retailers showing Intel price cuts. Despite the title of the article, it hasn't been confirmed yet if this is just retailer reaction to free up shelf space (which is entirely typical, and means the price cut is just temporary until inventory levels get down to where retailers want), or if Intel actually cut the price of their silicon (which would be unusual, but would mean the price cut is more permanent in nature).
    Ridelynn said:
    http://wccftech.com/intel-amd-price-war-ryzen-processors/

Take the article with appropriate caution - there are some retailers showing Intel price cuts. Despite the title of the article, it hasn't been confirmed yet if this is just retailer reaction to free up shelf space (which is entirely typical, and means the price cut is just temporary until inventory levels get down to where retailers want), or if Intel actually cut the price of their silicon (which would be unusual, but would mean the price cut is more permanent in nature).
    That's not a price cut.  That's Micro Center.  Micro Center's business model is to sell CPUs at cost, but only for in-store pickup, not online.  The idea is to get you to come to their store to buy a CPU that they make nothing on, then get you to buy something else while there that they do make money on.  CPUs have very low failure and return rates as compared to other computer hardware, so they probably don't lose much money that way.
    Yes, Microcenter has always undercut. These are some pretty significant reductions. Some of these reductions are in the triple digits, and not all on the HEDTs that have enormously fat margins. I don't know if that was how it was before this weekend, or if it will translate to other retailers.

It appears to be bigger than the typical Microcenter deal, but I don't have anything to back that up because I don't know what the prices were before this article hit. Maybe Microcenter has always cut that much and it just sucks that I'm no where near one. But I would think if an i7 6600K was going for $140 under MSRP routinely, I probably would have heard a lot more about it before this.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    people told me I was wrong getting the Phenom 1100 XT x6, 6 years ago, but I have been more than happy with that, I always pulled for AMD personally, so hope this works out well, building a new PC this summer and would love to throw it into consideration

Ridelynn said:
    Yes, Microcenter has always undercut. These are some pretty significant reductions. Some of these reductions are in the triple digits, and not all on the HEDTs that have enormously fat margins. I don't know if that was how it was before this weekend, or if it will translate to other retailers.

It appears to be bigger than the typical Microcenter deal, but I don't have anything to back that up because I don't know what the prices were before this article hit. Maybe Microcenter has always cut that much and it just sucks that I'm no where near one. But I would think if an i7 6600K was going for $140 under MSRP routinely, I probably would have heard a lot more about it before this.
    Oh come on.  You know the other half of that.  It's large discounts as compared to fake prices that they never actually charged.  Computer hardware sellers do that all the time, as do some vendors is completely unrelated markets.

For example, the Core i7-6850K.  Intel says it's $617-$628:

http://ark.intel.com/products/94188/Intel-Core-i7-6850K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz

A launch day review says $617:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-broadwell-e-6950x-6900k-6850k-6800k,4587.html

Micro Center is charging $550.  That's a $67-$78 discount, or a little over 10%.  The article says it's a $150 discount.

Then there's the Core i7-6800K.  Intel says it's $434-$441:

http://ark.intel.com/products/94189/Intel-Core-i7-6800K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

A launch day review (same Tom's Hardware link as above) says $434.  Micro Center is charging $359.  Subtraction says that's a discount of $75-$82, or about 16% or so.  The article says it's a discount of $140.

Go straight down the list and there's a ton of that.  There are some older parts like Haswell and such that genuinely have seen discounts, but those probably happened quite a while ago.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited February 2017
    Well this will make it silly to buy a low end laptop with an Intel core, AMD's graphics own anything from Intel including the current gen.

Word is Intel is already planning price cuts.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Ozmodan said:
    Did you add that last line just to trigger Quiz? :dizzy:

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

Ozmodan said:
    Well this will make it silly to buy a low end laptop with an Intel core, AMD's graphics own anything from Intel including the current gen.

They already have cut prices but not enough.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Ryzen looks strong. No doubt about it. I never pre order parts though. Whenever I get around to upgrading it will be sometime after Vega .