Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - Battlegrounds Bring Small Group PVP to Tamriel - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online - Battlegrounds Bring Small Group PVP to Tamriel - MMORPG.com

When Morrowind launches in June for Elder Scrolls Online, it’s bringing with it one of the features that’s long been requested by ESO fans: Battlegrounds PVP. As any Tamriel fan can tell you, Cyrodiil’s large-scale persistent warfare is fun, but sometimes you just want to get in, smash some faces, and get some rewards.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Sounds exciting and I can't wait. My only disappointment is the team setup. I'd much rather they go with the factions that already exist. The faction pride and permanent team to fight for makes it much more interesting. I don't know why they went with this meaningless setup. :(
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Leiloni said:
    Sounds exciting and I can't wait. My only disappointment is the team setup. I'd much rather they go with the factions that already exist. The faction pride and permanent team to fight for makes it much more interesting. I don't know why they went with this meaningless setup. :(
    Queue times and lore. If they kept it to your chosen faction, it could hamper that. Lore wise, they wanted to make these "Arenas" more true to the TES: Arena lore. They don't have anything to do with the warring factions, in essence.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• monoaudiostereomonoaudiostereo Member CommonPosts: 3
    I like ESO, but I got average ping of 120 when playing from middle Europe on European server. Its pretty impossible to be serious about PvP with that much of a ping. For comparison, I have about 60-70 ping in other games like Guild Wars 2.
  • AztokAztok Member UncommonPosts: 33

Leiloni said:

Queue times and lore. If they kept it to your chosen faction, it could hamper that. Lore wise, they wanted to make these "Arenas" more true to the TES: Arena lore. They don't have anything to do with the warring factions, in essence.

I was just about to say the same. ESO is known for its lore. Trust me it will be interesting enough, and it is surely not meaningless. Can you name anything in the eso lore thats meaningless? everything has lore attached to it in some way or another.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    edited February 2017
    My only worry with PVP is the absolute horrid behavior people engage in with PVP. I've seen the worst trolling and most horrible things said in PVP chat in PVP matches. One of THE great things about this game is the community and how friendly and helpful they are. I hate to see that community deteriorate due to the competitiveness or saltiness of losing in PVP. The games community is still good despite the PVP in Cyrodiil, so maybe I am off. I just think of games like SWToR with their rabid PVP players and really don't want to see them over here. Damn, when did I develop that old man, get off my lawn attitude?
  • monoaudiostereomonoaudiostereo Member CommonPosts: 3

My only worry with PVP is the absolute horrid behavior people engage in with PVP. I've seen the worst trolling and most horrible things said in PVP chat in PVP matches. One of THE great things about this game is the community and how friendly and helpful they are. I hate to see that community deteriorate due to the competitiveness or saltiness of losing in PVP. The games community is still good despite the PVP in Cyrodiil, so maybe I am off. I just think of games like SWToR with their rabid PVP players and really don't want to see them over here. Damn, when did I develop that old man, get off my lawn attitude?

Guild Wars 2 have this issue. PvE community is the friendliest community you could ever imagine, but PvP is quite the opposite.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited February 2017
    As a PvP fan I'm very disappointed at yet more PvE players whining about PvP players. It's fine to not enjoy PvP, but why do PvE fans shit on us everywhere? Newsflash, you guys aren't perfect either. The behavior of some people in dungeons is terrible. But we don't say the things you guys do about us all the time about every game. Can we just agree to disagree?

I for one love the PvP communities in games and enjoy both PvE and PvP content. But I'm tired of other players calling us terrible people.  No, you are the terrible people for insulting another group all the time simply because you like something different than we do. We don't ruin communities and we're not the source of all of your unhappiness. Get over it and simply let us be.
    Post edited by Leiloni on
  • renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

Leiloni said:

As a PvP fan I'm very disappointed at yet more PvE players whining about PvP players. It's fine to not enjoy PvP, but why do PvE fans shit on us everywhere? Newsflash, you guys aren't perfect either. The behavior of some people in dungeons is terrible. But we don't say the things you guys do about us all the time about every game. Can we just agree to disagree?

I for one love the PvP communities in games and enjoy both PvE and PvP content. But I'm tired of other players calling us terrible people.  No, you are the terrible people for insulting another group all the time simply because you like something different than we do. We don't ruin communities and we're not the source of all of your unhappiness. Get over it and simply let us be.

Hahahahaha, just pk them hahaha.
    What are you giving attention to a pve carebear, stop whining, pvp people are though.

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Leiloni said:

As someone who does both in ESO I totally agree. The ESO PVP community is friendly and inclusive bending over backwards to help players new to the game.

PVE random dungeon runs is exactly the opposite, elitist and judgmental asshats abound.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    edited February 2017

As someone who PvPs and PvEs I must speak from my own experiences that there are dickheads on both side of the spectrum. People are people. Shitty people are shitty people. You don't become a shitty guy by playing a video game no matter if you're against another human being/s or if you happen to be teamed up with another human being/s versus AI.

You see. Shitty people exists everywhere and shitty people always find a way to be shitty.

End of story.
  • seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    When Battlegrounds were introduced to vanilla WoW it totally killed world PvP and suddenly PVP and the rest of the world felt like two separate games. Are people worried this will happen here?

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    edited February 2017

When Battlegrounds were introduced to vanilla WoW it totally killed world PvP and suddenly PVP and the rest of the world felt like two separate games. Are people worried this will happen here?

I think this might be different although I haven't played eso for a very long time. There was never an incentive for open world pvp in vanilla wow, it was simply the only way to engage in Pvp. If blizzard decided to spend more effort developing world pvp it would not have died off. Instanced pvp itself didn't kill it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm not.

Although I dislike these types of scenario PVP battles in MMOs intensely, i enjoy the large scale group battles a lot. They're different things that appeal to different players for different reasons.

WOW's open world PVP was never really a well designed feature of the game. It was just something you could do that was tacked on to the PVE world. It didn't have sieges and objectives - it was just a gankfest. The scenario PVP there was actually an improvement because they were designed with PVP in mind.

ESO is totally different. Cyrodiil was designed for PVP and for those of us who enjoy that type of PVP. I certainly won't be leaving Cyrodiil for this and I don't know anyone else who would.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2017
    PVP and the rest of the world are already essentially two separate games. Will this hurt Cyrodil? probably initially, not long term though.

I don't look at it much different than DAOC, which had a similar set-up. Most PVP guilds were formed for the sole purpose of large scale PVP in this game, the game also has objective based PVP, which adds structure as well as purpose. That's what is/was missing in other games like WOW vanilla.

Before BGs were introduced into WOW, PVP was just something you could do, just as it is in most themeparks (a big reason why many of us in my SWG guild who joined after NGE, went right back to SWG) .

There was no real purpose to it, that's what set BGs apart from it as well as made them the go to form of PVP. There was a purpose. Games like DAOC, GW2, ESO, etc, do not have that problem.

The PVP already has a purpose. It's essentially one giant BG with a lot more room for strategy, ebb and flow, etc.. It's a lot more dynamic as well as chaotic. BGs are structured, the winner is decided as soon as the match starts in most cases, there's no coming back, there's no reinforcements, there's no ebb and flow... Unless it's two preplanned teams (which is 1 in a million)...

LOL @Iselin said just about the same thing... my bad for the redundancy...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited February 2017
    I like ESO, but I got average ping of 120 when playing from middle Europe on European server. Its pretty impossible to be serious about PvP with that much of a ping. For comparison, I have about 60-70 ping in other games like Guild Wars 2.
    I play with 240-250 ping on average, so yeah, not able to enjoy pvp as much as I would like. Also, my guildies in Australia and New Zealand would love to have 60-70 ping. Me too.

As to the pvp v pve players discussion, I've seen decent people and jerks in both communities. And of course, there is a major overlap of both communities, as well. 

In pve, there are the elitists and the clueless pugs who start blaming everyone else for their own faults (not having food, asking for food, using bow auto-attack for dps, aoe-ing down mobs you don't want to kill to get the completion in spite of being told about it several times even though the person does speak and understand English, etc.). In Cyro, there are cool people and there are those who send hate tells, and there has been exploiting and teabagging. 

It's hearsay, but one of my guildies was in someone's guild discord and heard one notorious player talking about using cheat software, which I won't name, to "manage resources" in Cyro. 

But I'm happy ESO is finally getting arenas! It could be good for some guild pvp nights for people with similar ping.

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    As a hardcore ESO pvper whose experienced the game's up and downs, nothing but downs in the past 2 years, the PC pvp community is so small now that this is likely to severely hurt the existing form of pvp (Open world, Cyrodiil). The console population may be steady, but the amount of PC ESO pvp'ers who return per expansion/dlc has steadily dropped to the point of unrecognition beyond the normal small population. An already mostly empty array of campaigns are about to get a lot less populated.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red