Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devs Part Ways with Gameforge to Self-Publish - Hex: Shards of Fate - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDevs Part Ways with Gameforge to Self-Publish - Hex: Shards of Fate - MMORPG.com

Hex: Shards of Fate News - A new letter has appeared on the HEX: Shards of Fate Steam page that lets players know that the dev team is parting ways with Gameforge. The game will be self-published by HEX Entertainment and all operational procedures including customer support, community management, promotion, sales, marketing and other activities will be handed over to the company by Gameforge.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Gameforge, the company that for some reason where given the eu versions of Tera & Aion - with the all too predictable outcome in terms of customer service and game support. Never again GF.
    Hopefully the Hex team can work it out on their own.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Everyone that has been in this industry for a long time, both gamers and professionals, know that Gameforge is a fail company. Greedy and unprofessional and it will alienate any playerbase you might have had.

Gameforge is the cancer to the gaming publishing business.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Everyone of these games create an eventual log jam in growth and development.

They create more and more cards,further eliminating new players.Then like MTG and Hearthstone they try to eliminate old cards from the rotation to lessen the load on catch up and spending.

The solution used is not any good at all,you take purchases out of players hands,remove cards they like to play.These games end up adding WAY too many mechanics but in the end it still comes down to a few o/p decks that removes the FUN factor out of these games.

There is only one way to make the TCG genre great and that is to remove ladders and obstacles and make the games FUN.You do that by putting ALL players on an equal plain.I love how i always hear top end players claim not p2w yet they never advocate to turn the genre into an even playing field.

Create a subscription and EVERY single card and whatever else the game add like maybe hero weapons or armor is EARNED and NEVER bought in some cash shop.Then you create a REAL world and not some cheap ass board.

You see my idea takes EFFORT and more cost but so what,i want a triple A game i do not want or care how rich some cheap game developer can get.So in the end ,what do i care about SUPPORT if the game is sub par and EVERY tcg is sub par.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    edited February 2017
    Wizardry said:

They create more and more cards,further eliminating new players.Then like MTG and Hearthstone they try to eliminate old cards from the rotation to lessen the load on catch up and spending.

The solution used is not any good at all,you take purchases out of players hands,remove cards they like to play.These games end up adding WAY too many mechanics but in the end it still comes down to a few o/p decks that removes the FUN factor out of these games.

There is only one way to make the TCG genre great and that is to remove ladders and obstacles and make the games FUN.You do that by putting ALL players on an equal plain.I love how i always hear top end players claim not p2w yet they never advocate to turn the genre into an even playing field.

Create a subscription and EVERY single card and whatever else the game add like maybe hero weapons or armor is EARNED and NEVER bought in some cash shop.Then you create a REAL world and not some cheap ass board.

You see my idea takes EFFORT and more cost but so what,i want a triple A game i do not want or care how rich some cheap game developer can get.So in the end ,what do i care about SUPPORT if the game is sub par and EVERY tcg is sub par.
    Um, ok. You sure do love to rant about anything and everything. Anyway, first point: If you make it an even playing field, you take the *t* away, then it is just a card game. Some people like that, you may like that, but I don't. I like the *t* part of it. Without ladders and competition, there would be no real reason to play (other than because you want to and to get better) while this itself isn't a bad thing, its hard to deny that the competitive aspect of card games is what keeps them going in terms of momentum (the other one being bringing out new cards which you seem to be against too.) You should just go play solitaire, everyone is on equal footing there as it seems that you dislike everything that makes a tcg a tcg :skull:
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Erinak1 said:
    Wizardry said:

Um, ok. You sure do love to rant about anything and everything. Anyway, first point: If you make it an even playing field, you take the *t* away, then it is just a card game. Some people like that, you may like that, but I don't. I like the *t* part of it. Without ladders and competition, there would be no real reason to play (other than because you want to and to get better) while this itself isn't a bad thing, its hard to deny that the competitive aspect of card games is what keeps them going in terms of momentum (the other one being bringing out new cards which you seem to be against too.) You should just go play solitaire, everyone is on equal footing there as it seems that you dislike everything that makes a tcg a tcg :skull:
    Well he is partly right, they do remove cards and some of the decks people use are just OP.  From the developers point of view they have to have reason for people to buy new decks too.  So, F2P just not work for any of the card games very well, mainly because there is no level playing field.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Wizardry said:

You see my idea takes EFFORT and more cost but so what,i want a triple A game 
    What about how much revenue (and perhaps playerbase, which is especially important to a card game lest there be no one to play against)?  I'd be kinda... surprised if your idea was conducive towards that, really.  I don't think subscription fees for a card game will really bring in much cash at all, and that's even before considering the increased "EFFORT and more cost" of such an idea.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I wonder if they'll honor my KS lol. I totally forgot I even backed this. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Erinak1 said:
     If you make it an even playing field, you take the *t* away, then it is just a card game. Some people like that, you may like that, but I don't. I like the *t* part of it.

The "t" stands for "trading".  Does Hex let players trade cards with each other.  I don't know but I know you couldn't trade cards in Hearthstone.  I would bet that most of these types of games wouldn't allow it because it creates a wonderful opportunity for players to sell cards for real money.

I pretty much agree with Wizardry here.  I imagine a game where all the cards are earned in-game by defeating PVE monsters or something.  For the longevity of the game it should also be possible to lose cards.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Erinak1 said:
     If you make it an even playing field, you take the *t* away, then it is just a card game. Some people like that, you may like that, but I don't. I like the *t* part of it.

The "t" stands for "trading".  Does Hex let players trade cards with each other.  I don't know but I know you couldn't trade cards in Hearthstone.  I would bet that most of these types of games wouldn't allow it because it creates a wonderful opportunity for players to sell cards for real money.

I pretty much agree with Wizardry here.  I imagine a game where all the cards are earned in-game by defeating PVE monsters or something.  For the longevity of the game it should also be possible to lose cards.

The only problem with losing cards is the barrier to getting those cards. If the barrier is relatively trivial then I'd agree. If it takes a loooooong time to get it, the I'd disagree with prejudice. I like watching nerd rage on YouTube as much as the next guy, but nobody wants to see people cry. Scratch that, part of the problem is that people DO want to see nerds cry. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited February 2017
    I've played this game since it was first made available to the public and can say that from my personal experience they did go for the cash grab p2w more than they should have. People will say they need to make money but if you look at some good card games that failed because of too much p2w the people just stop playing cause no one likes facing off against unbeatable odds unless you spend lots or $$$ or time. From where they stand I think the idea of people spending money to buy virtual currency to buy virtual cards that can never be redeemed back for real money again seems like something that has no downsides but eventually all except for a tiny group get tired of spending hard earned cash to stay competitive.

Around launch I asked in the chat channel why they use Gameforge to process their transactions when Hex is a USA company and one of the devs responded saying that they had close relations with someone there, he may have even said it was a relative or a wife/husband of a dev but I can't remember.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I foresee a crowdfunding campaign coming soon. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung