Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nioh Review Thread

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
edited February 2017 in General Gaming

Metacritic: 87 / GameRankings: 89.36%

The Jimquisition (100): Nioh got attention for its similarities to other titles, but it deserves to be remembered as its own special game, one that sees and raises the efforts presented by its inspirations. With fast and uncompromising combat, an engrossing economy of loot, and a mesmerizing artistic style, action-RPGs have rarely been this refined or this captivating.

Playstation Universe (95): As close to perfect as it gets. Nioh is a stunning title and is easily an early contender for game of the year.

LaPS4 (92): Team Ninja has overcome the inevitable comparisons with Souls' series, with a game that shines on its own right. Diverse and enjoyable combat mechanics, great setting and that characteristic difficulty of the studio's games, Nioh is a strong candidate for one of the best games of 2017.

XGN (92): Nioh makes one of the best action-RPGs ever made. An immense amount of features combined in a challenging game, which will take more than 40 hours of your life. No regrets so far.

CGMagazine (90): Team Ninja knocks it out of the park with their take on Samurai Dark Souls.

Dualshockers (90): Ultimately, NiOh is a really fantastic game. It comes with some flaws, and a few elements that are a bit rough around the edges, but it hits almost all the right notes. Team Ninja’s latest labor of love is packed with charm, atmosphere, and one of the best action battle systems that you’ll find across the industry.

M3 (90): It’s hard not to see Nioh as a Dark Souls with Japanese mythology. But as soon as you get used to the mechanics, Nioh has several features that make it unique. Aside from some less inspired stages, and slightly outdated graphics, this is a perfect action game – and one of the best there is in the genre.

Game Informer (90): Nioh will break you down (and note this clearly, this is an uncompromising game that does not mind crushing your dreams) before it lifts you up, but you soon crave the thrill of mastering a new weapon or toppling a titanic boss. Endless optimization and customization, engaging encounters, and unparalleled combat by yourself or with a friend make Nioh an excellent choice for your next dark action/RPG.

Attack of the Fanboy (90): Team Ninja took their time to ensure that Nioh was as good as it could possibly be, and that time wasn't wasted. The finished product is a fantastic action RPG that may borrow a lot from the Souls series, but nevertheless adds plenty of great twists to the formula to allow it to stand proudly on its own.

Destructoid (90): With its emphasis on challenging combat and light storytelling elements that are at times bordering on parody (in a good way), Nioh feels like a true successor to the Ninja Gaiden series and fills a nice void that Souls left behind.

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

IGN Italia (88): Not the most polished game, but still the first great soulslike developed by a team which is not From Software.

The Games Machine (88): Nioh may not replace the Dark Souls series in our hearts, but it definitely has built a place for itself. Technically a little rough, still without PvP, this new title from Team Ninja could have provided more diversified scenarios, but it sure offers an excellent combat system and a wide and deep offering.

Areajugones (87): Nioh aims to be the best action RPG of this year. Featuring a great combat system and beautifully designed maps and bosses, this game will be a challenge for all the experienced players of this genre.

JeuxActu (85): Despite its ugly visuals, NioH is quite an appealing game thanks to it's incredibly hardcore difficulty. Clearly aimed at masochists, the game will delight gamers in search of the toughest challenge, but it won't impress with its story.

Vandal Online (82): Nioh borrows from other games, yes, but it does it in a way that feels unique and personal. If you like its concept, don't miss it.

Stevior (80): There’s no denying Nioh is easier than Dark Souls – as evidenced by the fact that I could not only get to bosses, but beat them – and that’s okay. As someone who is constantly frustrated by Bloodborne and Souls, Nioh is, at the very least, accessible.

Trusted Reviews (80): Nioh can’t match the gothic grandeur of a Dark Souls and the boss battles may give you nightmares for all the wrong reasons. All the same, by merging aspects of From Software’s classics with elements of its own ninja hits, Team Ninja has crafted its finest game in years. Nioh is every bit as compulsive and challenging as its inspiration, but is smart enough to add some interesting new twists. Love Dark Souls? Love samurai, ninjas and weird oriental fantasy? Jump onboard and prepare to die, cry and experience the magic in-between.

Gameblog.fr (80): Nioh is a must have for all Dark Souls fans.

USgamer (80): Nioh is Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja taking a more measured approach to what they do best, and is a surprisingly feature-heavy and battle-focused heir to the Soulsborne method. But it ultimately stands on its own, and is a worthy addition to any Action RPG library.

Push Square (80): Nioh is about as approachable as a game of this ilk can be, and while that may offend the hardcore sensibilities of some Souls fans, it's a title that will likely appeal to many players who want a gameplay challenge but are turned off by the obtuse nature of Dark Souls' storytelling and the murky explanations of its mechanics.

PLAY! Zine (75): Nioh is a really challenging game. Sometimes, maybe even too much so. You have to be at the top of your game just to keep your head on your shoulders. So it's also the perfect example of whether a game's difficulty is just enough to announce the title as a "successful" one or not. Also, that's the reason that we can only recommend Nioh to the biggest hardcore gamers out there.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Yasha (95): "Fucking amazing"
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    YashaX said:
    Yasha (95): "Fucking amazing"
    What stops it from being 100?
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    It looks pretty good.  Still have to finish Dark Souls 3, though.  I'll probably play Nioh eventually.
  • Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Nioh is pretty amazing, it's close to Dark Soul 3 for me.

Pretty much in this type of game it goes DS3>Nioh>DS1>BB>DS2, in my opinion.

I've been playing For Honor pretty exclusively lately, which I completely ate crow on because I kind of bashed it at first then it just hooked me. Anyway, right now it's For Honor, Nioh, ESO

Entris38 said:
    Nioh is pretty amazing, it's close to Dark Soul 3 for me.

Pretty much in this type of game it goes DS3>Nioh>DS1>BB>DS2, in my opinion.

I've been playing For Honor pretty exclusively lately, which I completely ate crow on because I kind of bashed it at first then it just hooked me. Anyway, right now it's For Honor, Nioh, ESO

Are you having any connectivity issues in For Honor?
  • JackFooleryJackFoolery Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Anyone think it's better than Dark Souls?
    Anyone think it's better than Dark Souls?
    I like it better than Dark souls.