Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horizon: Zero Dawn Review Thread ( Greatness Is Here )

MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
edited February 2017 in General Gaming

Metacritic: 88 / GameRankings: 88.13

Reviews

Giant Bomb (100): Horizon: Zero Dawn is familiar but also really refreshing. It's not a short game (I spent around 30 hours with it), but the storytelling still feels concise and efficient. The combat has some nice options that make encounters fun, even when you're just stacking up stealth kills from the relative safety of a bush. And the presentation end of the game holds up its end of things with a solid soundtrack, great voice acting, and a cohesive design that makes all its disparate parts fit together. All in all, it's a great game, it's Guerrilla's strongest release to date.

PlayStation LifeStyle (100): Horizon Zero Dawn is an early contender for game of the year. Guerrilla Games has outdone themselves, in astounding fashion. This is a glorious game, the result of a team of masterful artisans who not only had a story that they wished to tell, but a world that was living inside of them which they wanted to share with us all. Now, we get to play inside their creation, and it is a breathtaking experience to behold. A massive, open world filled with equally massive, terrifying robots, juxtaposed against the beauty of the Earth, nature fighting back the darkness as it tends to do. Horizon Zero Dawn is the kind of game you play to get lost in, and can be enjoyed by players of all types. This could be the beginning of a stellar franchise, and there is something for everyone here. If you own a PS4, you owe it to yourself to give Horizon Zero Dawn a go.

COGconnected (100): Horizon Zero Dawn is a sweeping epic, magically dancing across the lines between sci-fi and fantasy, masterfully intertwining two genres that traditionally have held their own space in gaming. It is Guerrilla Games' crowning achievement in video game development. Words cannot do justice for what you need to see for yourself.

Game Over Online (98): Horizon Zero Dawn is Guerrilla Games’ best effort, one of the PS4’s greatest games, and the best game ever crafted from the ground up for the platform. It combines a gripping narrative with intense action that blends both fast-paced combat with slower-paced, tense stealth sections perfectly. Everything about their vision for this game clicks into place and is accentuated by a stellar presentation. The game features top-shelf graphical work, a unique and enjoyable soundtrack, alongside a fantastic cast to make an unforgettable experience.

Arcade Sushi (95): Horizon Zero Dawn is compelling from the first minutes of the game, telling an incredible story and marking it with a deep crafting system and exceptional combat. Aloy is inspiring in her lead role, with the potential to become a new leading face in gaming for a long time to come.

Polygon (95): Horizon Zero Dawn thrums with the energy of a creative team finally allowed to explore something new. It builds on elements of open-world and loot-and-craft gameplay that we've seen before, but it does so within a context, a setting and a style that feel fresh. Horizon Zero Dawn discovers a stronger sense of its own personality in one game than Killzone ever managed across half a dozen. Guerrilla Games has long been developing some of the most buzzed-about games in the industry; with Horizon, it feels like it has finally found its own voice, one worthy of all that buzz.

The Jimquisition (95): Horizon: Zero Dawn is just brilliant. I speak as a critic who has played more "open sandbox" games than any one human should and has grown so very weary of them. I should have gotten sick of this thing in an hour, but I've been glued to it for days and days and I don't want it to end. I love existing in this world - a world of desperate survival but of growing culture and a sense of hope. A world of giant metal animals that promise some breathtaking fights.

IGN (93): Across a vast and beautiful open world, Horizon: Zero Dawn juggles many moving parts with polish and finesse. Its main activity - combat - is extremely satisfying thanks to the varied design and behaviors of machine-creatures that roam its lands, each of which needs to be taken down with careful consideration. Though side questing could have been more imaginative, its missions are compelling thanks to a central mystery that led me down a deep rabbit hole to a genuinely surprising - and moving - conclusion.

Trusted Reviews (90): I didn’t expect Horizon: Zero Dawn to be this good. I doubt I’ll be the only one saying they were surprised that the Killzone developer has been able to deliver a game with such breadth, depth and consistently rewarding gameplay...Couple all of that with a compelling story led by an engaging lead protagonist and you have a brilliant game, an absolute must-buy for all PS4 owners...Those with a PS4 Pro and an HDR TV will find an even more beautiful experience on offer, but everybody who plays Horizon: Zero Dawn is in for an absolute treat.

RPG Site (90): I took approximately thirty-five hours to complete Horizon Zero Dawn’s main story, but the first thing I did after I finished was dive right back in. There were still exciting quests to do, gorgeous places to discover, and fascinating characters to meet. I’m still falling in love with this world and all the magnificent things it has to offer. Guerrilla Games has created something truly impressive and memorable with their first dive into the genre, and I have only endless excitement for all that’s in store for the future of this universe.

Post edited by Mikeha on

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

The Games Machine (90): Horizon Zero Dawn is an instant classic: tough, challenging, huge, incredibly fun to play. It's the new definition of the videogame in the most classical way, where the center of the experience is the genuine entertainment of the player. There are some minor flaws here and there, and the narrative isn't as strong as it could've been, but nonetheless, it's the best action game of this generation.

GameSpot (90): Guerilla Games has delivered one of the best open-world games of this generation.

Game Informer (88): None of Horizon's faults stopped me from sinking 55 hours into the game, or walking away supremely satisfied with the experience. Horizon may not be a revolution for the open-world genre, but it is a highly polished and compelling adventure that proves Guerrilla is more than a single franchise.

GamesBeat (87): Like with God of War and Uncharted before, Horizon: Zero Dawn should be the start of another PlayStation iconic franchise. It offers a gorgeous and interesting world rich with adventure (including plenty of giant robots to kill). While it borrows heavily from the likes of Far Cry, it’s a more interesting and less repetitive effort than we’ve seen from that series. The presentation suffers a few hiccups, but it’s mostly a beautiful game. It’s also a long one. Horizon will keep you busy for a good chunk of time with its multitude of side-quests and extra activities. This is one of the PlayStation 4’s most interesting exclusives.

GamingTrend (85): Horizon Zero Dawn is an excellent open-world experience that puts fighting towering robots at the center of the action. It’s held back somewhat by its weak narrative, and occasional glitches, but that doesn’t stop it from being the most badass game I’ve played this year.

DarkStation (80): From a technical standpoint, the game is a real darling and can compete with the best of them. And yet it’s that the game doesn’t really break away from any of the pre-existing molds that I believe hold it back from being the breakout hit of 2017. It feels almost too conventional. Whether it’s the Ubisoft style side missions, the Batman Arkham vision or the by the numbers storytelling. There’s nothing about Horizon Zero Dawn that breaks out into its own unique experience. I absolutely loved this game. I think it’s a fantastic adventure full of amazing experiences to be had and fully recommend it to anyone who owns a Playstation 4. And yet it does feel like the first game in a series that needs to discover its own unique identity to help it stand out amongst a vast array of open world games that it competes against.

The Daily Dot (80): The open-world sensations of Horizon Zero Dawn are some of the best of the current console generation. Climbing snow-capped mountains and crawling through verdant valleys never fails to be as exciting. This apocalyptic wasteland feels remarkably dynamic, with randomized characters and enemies roaming the world and creating emergent encounters...Though Horizon doesn’t represent a revolution in open-world adventures, it borrows heavily from past success stories and elevates the genre to a beautiful new standard.

Easy Allies (80): Horizon Zero Dawn feels like a franchise in the making. While not packed with narrative high points, it’s still a compelling introduction to a world in turmoil that answers a lot of questions, but still gestures toward a more climactic future. Its primary element, squaring off against mechanized animals, is such a success, it makes up for the ongoing repetition of the game’s activities. When we look into Horizon’s future, we see a sequel that can take this world and make it into something remarkable.

TheSixthAxis (80): Horizon: Zero Dawn is a bit of a slow burn, but there's more to Guerrilla Games' latest than just its staggeringly pretty graphics. The story surprises as it takes several twists and turns and explores the past, but the games beating heart is with its excellently tense and engaging robotic monster hunting.

Digitally Downloaded (70): The creative team needs to find writers willing to back up the narrative context with a story that has meat, and the gameplay designers need to dare do things differently to what has come before. Horizon is a remarkably refined and technically brilliant game, but Guerrilla has yet to prove that it can take that next step and produce a genuine classic.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Lol 100 , nothing deserves 100. I would give it a 60-65. It s decent but just above average to me.
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    So a quick question to the both of you or whoever has played it:

As someone who is not that great at playing shooter-type games with a controller will I get pissed off a lot trying to aim my bow or whatever ranged weapon she has? For instance, I'm probably average at the Uncharted series (just finished the first one, didn't have too much trouble aiming), pretty shitty at Destiny (have to use Keymander but would rather not have to) and OK with The Last of Us.

Any opinions?

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

bartoni33 said:

As someone who is not that great at playing shooter-type games with a controller will I get pissed off a lot trying to aim my bow or whatever ranged weapon she has? For instance, I'm probably average at the Uncharted series (just finished the first one, didn't have too much trouble aiming), pretty shitty at Destiny (have to use Keymander but would rather not have to) and OK with The Last of Us.

Any opinions?

It does not come out to Feb 28. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Overly positive comes to mind reading those "reviews"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited February 2017

Recore said:
    bartoni33 said:

Any opinions?

It does not come out to Feb 28. 
    That's what I though but obviously some have played it including @Soki123 unless their just being silly.

Oh well I'll just have to wait to ask questions then.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    As great as it may be, it's not enough to encourage me to buy a PS4. In this day and age, platform "exclusive" titles are silly, particularly with the availability of controllers for PC. I'll wait for a Steam port however many years, if ever, it happens.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Wow - Jimquisition gave it a 95.  That is one of the only in the list I trust

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    SBFord said:
    As great as it may be, it's not enough to encourage me to buy a PS4. In this day and age, platform "exclusive" titles are silly, particularly with the availability of controllers for PC. I'll wait for a Steam port however many years, if ever, it happens.
    I agree with you, it sucks. But on the other hand, the exclusive games are the best ones. :|
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Soki123 said:
    Lol 100 , nothing deserves 100. I would give it a 60-65. It s decent but just above average to me.
    When did you play it? It Releases in a week ;)

Do I really have to answer that. Just have to know people :)

SBFord said:
    AMEN!

That was my stance for years until some co-workers of mine badgered me into getting a PS4 to play Destiny with them so my dumb ass went out and bought a Taken King Edition PS4! O.o

I've thought about selling it but since most of the games I bought for it are tied to my account I won't get anything out of it so I just play it every now and then. Plus when my PC inevitably goes tits up I can have something to play!

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited February 2017
    Nioh,
    Last of us 2,
    Crash bandicoot,
    Kingdom Hearts,
    Death stranding,
    Dawn,
    God of War,
    Gravity rush 2,
    Hellblade,
    Ni no Kuni 2,
    Uncharted,
    Papa rapper.

For me those were more than enough for me to get one last Christmas. That list is only ones i'm interested in, the list goes on if.

Was massive xbox fan, never had a playstation before this year, never into the hype, but xbox just don't have anything of interest going for it right now. They had scaelbound, then canceled it.

My mate dropped me this list and it made my heart sink and made the switch. first is xbox games, other is Ps4. it says which ones are all platforms, exclusive or PC + x console 

http://gematsu.com/exclusives/xbox-one

http://gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Herase said:
    Nioh,
    Last of us 2,
    Crash bandicoot,
    Kingdom Hearts,
    Death stranding,
    Dawn,
    God of War,
    Gravity rush 2,
    Hellblade,
    Ni no Kuni 2,
    Uncharted,
    Papa rapper.

For me those were more than enough for me to get one last Christmas. That list is only ones i'm interested in, the list goes on if.
    Bloodborne!!! 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
     SBFord said:

I do not agree.

Sony has never put their games on PC. This is going all the way back to the very first Playstation. People should already know this.

PS4 right now is out selling PS2 which was the best selling console of all time.

The reason is because they keep their games on their platform. :-)

Herase said:
    Nioh,
    Last of us 2,
    Crash bandicoot,
    Kingdom Hearts,
    Death stranding,
    Dawn,
    God of War,
    Gravity rush 2,
    Hellblade,
    Ni no Kuni 2,
    Uncharted,
    Papa rapper.

Was massive xbox fan, never had a playstation before this year, never into the hype, but xbox just don't have anything of interest going for it right now. They had scaelbound, then canceled it.

My mate dropped me this list and it made my heart sink and made the switch. first is xbox games, other is Ps4. it says which ones are all platforms, exclusive or PC + x console 

http://gematsu.com/exclusives/xbox-one

http://gematsu.com/exclusives/ps4

This guy gets it.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2017
    Recore said:
     SBFord said:

I do not agree.

Sony has never put their games on PC. This is going all the way back to the very first Playstation. People should already know this.

PS4 right now is out selling PS2 which was the best selling console of all time.

Well, guess I'll just put that 4-500 bucks in my pocket for a PC upgrade or a flight to some exotic location and a few margaritas. :P

And...am I wrong in thinking that there are more than a few Sonic games are on Steam? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

=) SBFord said:
    Recore said:
     SBFord said:

I do not agree.

Well, guess I'll just put that 4-500 bucks in my pocket for a PC upgrade or a flight to some exotic location and a few margaritas. :P

And...am I wrong in thinking that there are more than a few Sonic games are on Steam? 

Sonic is made by Sega =)

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited February 2017
    First review I read for the game was at destructoid, what's interesting is that other review mostly said the same thing but they had a much higher score for the game. Even though most gives it a high score I'm not that interested in the game, kinda fed up with what you do in these kinds of "sandbox" games.

Still, if I eventually buy a ps4 i will probably get this one, however i will buy it for games like bloodborne, nioh and possibly nier if that game cant get its arse to pc soon.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I bought a PS4 Pro to play this game.
    PsYcHoGBR said:

I just bought one last week and love it.

Next step is 4K TV.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    edited February 2017
    Recore said:
    PsYcHoGBR said:

Next step is 4K TV.

I already had the 4K TV so I sold my old Xbox One and bought the Xbox One S still haven't bought  UHD Blu Ray film yet. I have watched  PS4 Pro gameplay of Horizon Zero Dawn in 4K HDR and it looks amazing.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Soki123 said:
    Except WOW, right?

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Recore said:
    PsYcHoGBR said:

Next step is 4K TV.

I expect your review of the game soon :)