Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda on 3 new titles: They're bigger than anything we've done

Comments

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    If there was no original game of Skyrim there wouldn't be anything for modders to mod. Odd complaint about Bethesda.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Wow, that's impressive. Looking forward to hearing more :D

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    There was a time when i thought Bethesda could do no wrong, they made some of my favourite games, the last one of which was Skyrim, but then Skyrim had to be heavily modded before it became 'fun'. Will we see another Elder Scrolls game in the next few years? last heard the next one was still basically just down on 'paper' without developmental time put in, with actual status being little more than a rumour, makes you wonder if that was done purposely not to draw players away from ESO, either way, it will be several years before we see the next Elder Scrolls single player game, though in a way it would not surprise me in the least if TES effectively ended with Skyrim, i don't really have any faith in Besthesda to make games any more, and i most definitely would not pre-order any game they eventually make in the future, after all, Skryim needed Mods, and the community provided them, but now that 'mods' can only be obtained directly through Bethesda themselves, it means that future games will be the same, and there is likely to be a price tag.
    When you compare Bethesda to developers such as CD Projekt Red, it makes you wonder where Bethesda went wrong, is Zenimax to blame for Bethesda's woes? is Zenimax the reason that Bethesda became more about the money, than the game? i hope that CD Projekt Red doesn't fall into that same trap, though based on their past performance, it looks like there will be few worries there. :o
    Wait, what? Are you really trying to make the argument that Bethesda can't make quality games anymore based on vanilla Skyrim?

lol Christ. I dont care if anyone mods the hell out of their game or doesn't like vanilla Skyrim or whatever. That is why they provide the ability to mod the games because everyones taste is so different. But to say that unmodded Skyrim was anything but a legit AAA well made title has got to be a joke. In particular when judging their ability to make future games.
    The point is that mods, particularly when it comes to Skyrim, are a huge part of the game, its probably helped sell more copies than anything, not to mention extended the lifespan of the game, Skyrim after all is still relevant today, and it was released in 2011, as for how many mods there are for the game, they likely number in their thousands, modders added not just skins, but characters too. Its possible to change the entire nature of the game just by adding a selection of mods, they improved gameplay by a huge amount, is there anyone out there that really played the vanilla game? because i don't think i am the only person to have added at least a dozen or so mods, from craftable arrows to Sophie the comedy NPC, who not only tells jokes, she sings 'her' version of several of the games ballads, i think she got kicked out of the bards college :p
    But, getting back to my point, the mods for Skyrim improved the game dramatically, and then they 'improved' it with the legendary edition and put the whole modding thing under Bethesda's control, when/if the next TES game is made, its likely going to be under Bethesda's control too, and there are indications that mods in the future will have to be purchased through Bethesda.
    The other thing, about Bethesda's ability to make the game in the first place, i know they can make the game, the question really is, will they? ESO is still Zenimax's priority, they might not want Bethesda to make another Elder Scrolls game while that is the case, remember, Morrowind was released in May 2002, Oblivion in March 2006, and Skyrim  released in Nov 2011, its now 2017 and there are no real indications that Bethesda is even working on the next Elder Scrolls game, just hints that they might 'sometime' in the future, which to me says that until Zenimax says its okay, its a no go, otherwise we'd be seeing the next Elder Scrolls game released this year or perhaps in 2018. :o
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    There was a time when i thought Bethesda could do no wrong, they made some of my favourite games, the last one of which was Skyrim, but then Skyrim had to be heavily modded before it became 'fun'. Will we see another Elder Scrolls game in the next few years? last heard the next one was still basically just down on 'paper' without developmental time put in, with actual status being little more than a rumour, makes you wonder if that was done purposely not to draw players away from ESO, either way, it will be several years before we see the next Elder Scrolls single player game, though in a way it would not surprise me in the least if TES effectively ended with Skyrim, i don't really have any faith in Besthesda to make games any more, and i most definitely would not pre-order any game they eventually make in the future, after all, Skryim needed Mods, and the community provided them, but now that 'mods' can only be obtained directly through Bethesda themselves, it means that future games will be the same, and there is likely to be a price tag.
    When you compare Bethesda to developers such as CD Projekt Red, it makes you wonder where Bethesda went wrong, is Zenimax to blame for Bethesda's woes? is Zenimax the reason that Bethesda became more about the money, than the game? i hope that CD Projekt Red doesn't fall into that same trap, though based on their past performance, it looks like there will be few worries there. :o
    Wait, what? Are you really trying to make the argument that Bethesda can't make quality games anymore based on vanilla Skyrim?

lol Christ. I dont care if anyone mods the hell out of their game or doesn't like vanilla Skyrim or whatever. That is why they provide the ability to mod the games because everyones taste is so different. But to say that unmodded Skyrim was anything but a legit AAA well made title has got to be a joke. In particular when judging their ability to make future games.
    The point is that mods, particularly when it comes to Skyrim, are a huge part of the game, its probably helped sell more copies than anything, not to mention extended the lifespan of the game, Skyrim after all is still relevant today, and it was released in 2011, as for how many mods there are for the game, they likely number in their thousands, modders added not just skins, but characters too. Its possible to change the entire nature of the game just by adding a selection of mods, they improved gameplay by a huge amount, is there anyone out there that really played the vanilla game? because i don't think i am the only person to have added at least a dozen or so mods, from craftable arrows to Sophie the comedy NPC, who not only tells jokes, she sings 'her' version of several of the games ballads, i think she got kicked out of the bards college :p
    But, getting back to my point, the mods for Skyrim improved the game dramatically, and then they 'improved' it with the legendary edition and put the whole modding thing under Bethesda's control, when/if the next TES game is made, its likely going to be under Bethesda's control too, and there are indications that mods in the future will have to be purchased through Bethesda.
    The other thing, about Bethesda's ability to make the game in the first place, i know they can make the game, the question really is, will they? ESO is still Zenimax's priority, they might not want Bethesda to make another Elder Scrolls game while that is the case, remember, Morrowind was released in May 2002, Oblivion in March 2006, and Skyrim  released in Nov 2011, its now 2017 and there are no real indications that Bethesda is even working on the next Elder Scrolls game, just hints that they might 'sometime' in the future, which to me says that until Zenimax says its okay, its a no go, otherwise we'd be seeing the next Elder Scrolls game released this year or perhaps in 2018. :o
    Skyrim sold far more on console no mods included still highly praised.......MODs under bethesda's control? HUh? You can still go to Nexus, what are you babbling about here?

As for announcing the next TES, they didn't announce the last or Fallout 4 until they were right around the corner and had a substantial amount to show off.... 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited February 2017
    So is Bethesda trying to make money off the modders in future games? That's wrong most mods are free right now. So you're saying in future we have to get mods illegally if Bethesda does that ? This change will kill the modding community....god I'm getting angry now.

kitarad said:
    So is Bethesda trying to make money off the modders in future games? That's wrong most mods are free right now. So you're saying in future we have to get mods illegally if Bethesda does that ?
    Looking at it from a modders point of view, it would be nice to be able to officially earn a bit off all of that work. While the Nexus allows folks to donate, there's a lot people doing these things that should get a bit more than a few compliments on a comment section. There's a lot of work that goes into making mods. 

• holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Considering over 85% of the copies sold were on PS3/360 on original release Id say the vast majority of people played vanilla as you can't mod those versions. And also sorta renders the point about mods selling more copies of the game than anything obsolete as well. The modding community is a niche part of the audience at this point in the game for Bethesda. It's a big part of their original fanbase but it's grown well beyond that now, and as I said, most people played vanilla Oblivion/Skyrim.
    Distopia said:
    kitarad said:
    So is Bethesda trying to make money off the modders in future games? That's wrong most mods are free right now. So you're saying in future we have to get mods illegally if Bethesda does that ?
    Looking at it from a modders point of view, it would be nice to be able to officially earn a bit off all of that work. While the Nexus allows folks to donate, there's a lot people doing these things that should get a bit more than a few compliments on a comment section. There's a lot of work that goes into making mods. 
    That depends on how much Bethesda intends to profit from them.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Distopia said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:

Skyrim sold far more on console no mods included still highly praised.......MODs under bethesda's control? HUh? You can still go to Nexus, what are you babbling about here?

As for announcing the next TES, they didn't announce the last or Fallout 4 until they were right around the corner and had a substantial amount to show off.... 

The platform with the most sales, for Skyrim, was PC. As of Nov 2016 they had stated that 30 million copies of the game had been sold. The reason why it was so popular on the PC, was because that is where the mods are.
    http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/

I don't know how accurate or reliable this figure is but it sold the most on Xbox and least on PC.

kitarad said:

I don't know how accurate or reliable this figure is but it sold the most on Xbox and least on PC.
    ANy actual figure you look up will tell you it sold more on PS3/Xbox...

edited February 2017
    kitarad said:
    Distopia said:
    kitarad said:
    That depends on how much Bethesda intends to profit from them.
    The only realistic thing I could see them doing is sponsoring certain mods, and offering them for sale. They'd be stupid to try and take over the entire scene. The backlash would be immense (especially now that they're finally available on consoles).

Not to mention the differing level of value different mods would have. It would be a nightmare to try and monetize all of that.

Nyctelios said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Well, they can't work on TES while ZenINC holds it hostage. So, new things, yeah they said that a while ago... and said the same thing about being bigger.

To be honest I have no clue what could it be.

Any bets?
    Well no, Bethesda can work on it as it's their game. However, Todd Howard said they wanted to work on other things. It's understandable though disappointing.
    Nope. They "sold" the IP to their "mother company" (Zenimax Inc is a IP holder - and money laundry maybe) a while back, which created a lawsuit because Todd did not want a Fallout MMO - which resulted in ZenInc saying "You know what? So be it, a ESO then".
    Sold the Ip to the mother company? what? LOL

edited February 2017

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    I bet on TES VI being one of those 2.
     Considering what we saw on Fallout4, they will probably put there a spin on the whole housing concept, maybe settling in a new area (or resettling it). I also wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of emphasis on survival gameplay, as several mods have proven for skyrim, the survival vibe can work quite well for that IP.

As for TESO, I'm pretty sure they decided to use an "old age" lore for that game specifically so they would not be held hostage. Unlike what blizzard did with the warcraft universe, effectively cutting off any possibility of a fourth strategy game, bathesda can brainstorm how much they want on their lore, without having the two "IPs" interfere with one another. At most, we might see some reference in future single player games to new lore introduced by the MMO, in the form of readable books found around the land.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Wizardry said:
    Does that say amazing or that they have put little effort into their games already on the market?

VR would tell me to forget them altogether because NOBODY is going to make a legit VR game but will instead just make a crappy game using VR as the sell gimmick.
    Don't think for a minute i am some VR hater,i would love to see VR in gaming...IF done very well,the way i want to see VR incorporated.I don't care one bit about visuals of VR,we already have tons of games giving us all the graphics i need,i want game play great in depth full of discovery NO hand holding game play.
    What is wrong with resident evil 7 vr, that game was bad ass. Mind you I traded my vr stuff for a snowmobile lol, but if they made skyrim vr, I would buy a HTC vive. Starwars battlefront was bad ass 2, although it was a bit to short. 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    kitarad said:

That sales distribution between platforms is taken from vgchartz.com's estimates on sales of Skyrim's retail copies on November 11th and 12th 2011. Digital sales, like Steam, are not included.
      http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88459/skyrim-sales-exceed-34-million-units-in-two-days/

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited February 2017
    There was this old leaked Bethesda memo from 2014 with a list of terms they didn't want their staff talking about at E3 2014. A lot of people dismissed it as fake but it got back its credibility once people saw that Fallout 4 was indeed set in Boston and Nuka World was the name of one of its addons.

"Project Greenheart" seems to be the name associated with the next ES game. This has led many to speculate that its setting will be Valenwood and the Wood Elves.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Vrika said:
    kitarad said:

That sales distribution between platforms is taken from vgchartz.com's estimates on sales of Skyrim's retail copies on November 11th and 12th 2011. Digital sales, like Steam, are not included.
      http://www.vgchartz.com/article/88459/skyrim-sales-exceed-34-million-units-in-two-days/
    And that's the problem with trying to claim more have purchased it on PC, there is no evidence to back that up. It's just a guess based on that person's own tendency. The most logical thing IMO is that the majority of those who have played SKyrim, Oblivion, FO4, etc...  have never installed a mod. That's pretty much how it goes for any game. The average has probably grown in recent times with Steam based mods, and console mods. Still the casual burn and churn audience doesn't usually hang around for such games long term, diminishing their chances of becoming interested in such things. 

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Anireth said:
    So we are gonna get even more automatically generated content like radiant quests, and reusable locations like 90% of the caves in Skyrim, where they simply closed off different paths depending on the related quest, and where you always where lead back to the start - unless there was backdoor, for which you could never tell if they simply forgot to let the boss drop the key or if it's intended that way.

Heck, even the explorable planets in ME had more differences than Skyrims caves.
    Actually everything in Skyrim was hand made by a level designer.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited February 2017
    Xion1985 said:
    Bigger and Buggier. :)
    But its Bethesda so its ok if there buggy. Remember back to just about every reviewer of Skyrim giving them a pass on the bugs.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    "Yawn"

WTB more info about titles CD Projekt Red are working on.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Alomar said:
    "Yawn"

WTB more info about titles CD Projekt Red are working on.
    All we know about it is that they made a damn good trailer for it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    The next elder scrolls where people will play it for over 1000 hours and then leave a negative review about how horrible it is lol.
  • Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Rage 2