Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goodbye LOTRO

2»

Comments

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It's on its way to maintenance mode anyway.  Good time to start another game.  Best time would be after you clear the last update buuuuuut still not bad timing.
    TheScavenger
  • cormachcormach Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Rubber-banding during mounted combat has been an issue since mounted combat first came out.  I don't know if they will ever get that fixed.
    Sovrath
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388

They story mode in Lotro is imo the best in any mmo to date unless you are an avid star wars fan I guess. 

TSW beats the shit out of every MMO story wise.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• redneckgamerredneckgamer Member UncommonPosts: 52

They story mode in Lotro is imo the best in any mmo to date unless you are an avid star wars fan I guess. 

Yep, the secret world had the best story telling if you liked that setting but the secret world IS going into maintenance mode, I don't see lotro going into maintenance mode for at least a few years.  And I think lotro has the best "world" of any MMO out there.  Just my opinion of course
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    The Secret World is going into maintenance mode and they are NGE-ing the game into another version of TSW.  Making things easier and less complicated.  Yeah....we all know how those things turn out.

LOTRO was a good game early, right before Mirkwood.  They never advertised the game and no one really played it, even after the great Moria expansion which was one of the greatest MMO expansions ever.  They were forced to go to F2P and started dividing up the game into sellable chunks, and it sort of started the whole thing going downhill.

Their version of the NGE was the Helms Deep expansion, which pretty much broke a lot of the classes and made things really easy.

Mounted combat never worked from the day they introduced it.  The engine could only handle a set ground speed (which was your basic mount speed).  As soon as your warsteed started to go fast, that is when the lag, hitching and rubber banding started.  It's not unplayable, but it really gnaws at you until you just shake your head and wonder why they even included such a broken system....and every expansion is built for your warsteed and it has YET to work.  You kind of wonder why dont they just give up on the whole warsteed thing, it might make the game better.

They are in the midst of changing the animations and adding the new race of high elves, but for years they have been just throwing anything at a wall and hoping something would stick.

• ethanlallaethanlalla Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Join us in SWTOR :/ I loved LOTRO too.
    Playing or interested in playing SWTOR? Use my referral link here and we will both get rewards! Including a week of game time for you, if you are a preferred status player! Click here for more info!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    They were forced to go to F2P

That's actually not true. DDO did so well with their f2p expansion that they decided to see if it could work with LOTRO.
    ZionBaneDelCabonRobsolf
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    No problems running LOTRO here. I always get pulled back to this game, one reason has always been the community, not just the lore and story!
    DelCabon
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Yep, the secret world had the best story telling if you liked that setting but the secret world IS going into maintenance mode, I don't see lotro going into maintenance mode for at least a few years.  And I think lotro has the best "world" of any MMO out there.  Just my opinion of course
    They use different narrative technniques and have different background, so I don't think there's a "best". LotRO has great writing and story, especially if you consider that they have a fully detailed lore (story and world and history) to be considered all the time. Sure, flower picking near Mordor is pulling down the overall picture a bit... :lol:

TSW had an easier job, since Ragnar had both the game's writing and the lore of the world at his disposal. Still, easier or not he did an awesome job with they story. Truth to be told, as much as I love Josh's writing style, you can "feel" the difference between the part Ragnar did, and the later one where Joel or Josh detailed the writing based on the guideline of the main story left by him.

( ^past tense above there^ because TSW is not on maintenance mode, it is dead... and Legends will only have a similar story and writing, but not the same, Tilty said they've changed, shortened, edited, etc. the existing writing and added new stuff for streamline the mission flow.
    So it will have a different feel, which is sad, since the narrative in the main 3 zones was close to perfect.)
  • redneckgamerredneckgamer Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Torval said:
    It doesn't have to be a Highlander thing. For me, LotRO, TOR, ESO, and TSW all do this very similar thing just a little differently and it's awesome.
    Oh, I wasn't suggesting that only lotro has a great world, I'm just saying in my opinion, it's the best.  I play lots of other games like ESO, wildstar, GW2, swtor, etc.  They all have great elements and I enjoy them all a lot.  I just prefer the huge mostly seamless world of lotro.  Not many games these days you can walk from the starter area all the way to end game without any loading screens.  And just to be clear, I'm not saying it's the only one, I believe you might be able to do that in wildstar and ESO?  And I'm just talking about the world, I'm not speaking on the combat or character animations, etc
  • EdnircsEdnircs Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I too am very unhappy with SSG and their handling of the game I so loved. Issues began almost as soon as I returned to LOTRO after a 3 year absence due to health and situational problems in my real life. the recent update to the game locked me out and a message was posted that the patch would not load. After several attempts to reach SSG to find out how to make a repair and return to the game I was completely ignored until I said I was going to take some Drastic measures. at that point they asked me to tell them what the problem was so they could check it out. but when I tried to follow the instructions they wouldn't do what the IT said would happen. I finally deleted the game from my computer then redownloaded it. But I too am dissatisfied with SSG to the point that I will probably begin searching for a new game to spend my money on. Maybe when the Pirates of the Caribbean is rereleased in a couple of months I'll go back there, I do sorta miss Tormenta Island and Padres del Fuego. in Closing I just want to Say to SSG , BEWARE your handling of Lord of the Rings needs improvement and if things don't get better you may find the only people playing the game are your own staffers.
    ZionBane
    Fly the Nukes
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Torval said:
    It's on its way to maintenance mode anyway.  Good time to start another game.  Best time would be after you clear the last update buuuuuut still not bad timing.
    Maintenance mode games can be fun too, even though I'm hoping we'll see some fun content updates for a while into the future.

I've been thinking of trying out Ultima Online. Why not? I've never played it. It's in a stable state. Sometimes consistency and familiarity is nice too.

LotRO isn't the best MMO on the market right now. I'd probably give that to ESO for the moment. But LotRO is a really good MMO and has character and charm. It offers beautiful world environment, fun social interaction, and old school combat and character progression.

Anyone could take a character through the story for little to no money in about 6 months. I think that's worth the time.
    Neither LotRO or UO are in maintenance mode. Just saying...
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
     The imminent demise of LOTRO has been predicted for years now.  Obviously one of these days the doomsayers will be right, but, as you know a broken clock is right at some point. 
    Robsolf
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    I do *not* believe that the product has improved since SSG has taken over.  Since the last few updates were pushed out, I have noticed marked instability in the client, much more so than when Turbine was in charge.  I have rarely had CTDs with this game, but since SSG has taken charge they have risen dramatically.

Like I said, it is all quite unfortunate.

You do realize that SSG is in reality noting more then the Staff at Turbine that was going to get Fired, when Turbine Dropped LOTR and DDO, right? Did you really think they would suddenly start doing a better job?
  • ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Ednircs said:
    I too am very unhappy with SSG and their handling of the game I so loved. Issues began almost as soon as I returned to LOTRO after a 3 year absence due to health and situational problems in my real life. the recent update to the game locked me out and a message was posted that the patch would not load. After several attempts to reach SSG to find out how to make a repair and return to the game I was completely ignored until I said I was going to take some Drastic measures. at that point they asked me to tell them what the problem was so they could check it out. but when I tried to follow the instructions they wouldn't do what the IT said would happen. I finally deleted the game from my computer then redownloaded it. But I too am dissatisfied with SSG to the point that I will probably begin searching for a new game to spend my money on. Maybe when the Pirates of the Caribbean is rereleased in a couple of months I'll go back there, I do sorta miss Tormenta Island and Padres del Fuego. in Closing I just want to Say to SSG , BEWARE your handling of Lord of the Rings needs improvement and if things don't get better you may find the only people playing the game are your own staffers.
    have you tried GW2?