Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the good word :)

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
It's been awhile, 

I just re-watched the "why should I care " video, and I'm still very much excited.  I'm still looking forward to Pantheon, but I'm not ruling out Saga of Lucimia, after all we as the audience have no real idea what would be better until release.  We don't have any group open world mmo to play we just don't.  I would even settle for an early bata half cooked game.  That's how bad I'm starving, and I'm sure I'm not alone. However I wouldn't recommend it for survivability of the game, just saying.

I would love to walk into a Pub and say " I found a Troll causing havoc about a mile down the road, can I get some help taking him down please ".

Anyway, when ?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2017
    delete5230 said:
    I would love to walk into a Pub and say " I found a Troll causing havoc about a mile down the road, can I get some help taking him down please ".
    ...and then when you come back, you find out the troll was already killed because you needed 30 mins to get to town, you know the "virtual world" and no fast travel, then sitting in that tavern for 45 min spamming LFG - it destroy communities, another 20 minutes to wait until the group get all the supplies, regen mana and readied up - downtimes are vital, and then finally 30 min walk back with your group.

Yeah...
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    It's pure PvE OMG I seem to have missed this . I would love to play this especially group based content and all.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Do you remember that troll that used to terrorize that village in GW2 after awhile people stop coming to clear it lol. It was funny I kept asking for help and most people said just bypass the town. I did solo the wurm but this guy was so hard but once while I was asking for help this ranger came and soloed it. I almost fell to my knees in awe. Some people play so well it hurts my heart .

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't think so,i could not justify myself playing an old looking game when i could choose FFXi any day and for free.How does a game offer what FFXI has which sub class,Renaki combat,elemental properties,deep crafting system,ALL open world,i just can't see it.That is why games now have to be good graphics and have nice effects as well some new creative ideas.Even if you don't like FFXi,i am sure the rest of us would rather play EQ1 than this,so it is just not good enough to compete in a similar market and against now newer games as well.

I also do not think you will see much improvement from it's current state,imo it will be exactly like Project Gorgon,dated and very slow development.I understand many like the old school EQ game,but in 2017 we can do much better.

Grouping,well most certainly i want a good open world grouping game.I am not even sure though that this game's combat is all that in depth.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited February 2017
    MisterZebub said:
    I see your point
    No, you don't.

The point is, "virtual worlds"  and alike catchy phrases are nice on paper or to dream of but they are difficult to translate into a game and rarely fun game mechanics. That is how 1st gen MMOs started - devs probing untapped waters, trying to figure out what works and what does not. They tried single player or "real-like" mechanics, the result was mostly frustration - fighting over mobs, long travel times, regen and downtimes, situations like I described above - lots of time doing "nothing" or going in plain vain.

It is an inherited disadvantage of non-instanced(seamless), persistent "virtual" worlds.

There are certainly some people who enjoy such games but they are very few and why gen1 games saw a rapid decline once devs learned what people find fun and newer generation of games hit the market.

Post edited by Gdemami on
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Wizardry said:
    I don't think so,i could not justify myself playing an old looking game when i could choose FFXi any day and for free.How does a game offer what FFXI has which sub class,Renaki combat,elemental properties,deep crafting system,ALL open world,i just can't see it.That is why games now have to be good graphics and have nice effects as well some new creative ideas.Even if you don't like FFXi,i am sure the rest of us would rather play EQ1 than this,so it is just not good enough to compete in a similar market and against now newer games as well.

I also do not think you will see much improvement from it's current state,imo it will be exactly like Project Gorgon,dated and very slow development.I understand many like the old school EQ game,but in 2017 we can do much better.

Grouping,well most certainly i want a good open world grouping game.I am not even sure though that this game's combat is all that in depth.

Stupid question. How do you play FFXI for free?
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Wizardry said:

You got me worried with the mention of Project Gorgon,

While that game definitely has potential and people are having a good time.  It isn't even CLOSE to being smoothed out.  If you struggle very hard and constantly use the community on how to play it's doable, and  can be fun.....But with a lot of work.....But you have to be mindful the game has a lot of strange points like getting turned into a cow !

Will have to wait and see with Saga of Luchimia.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Albatroes said:
    Wizardry said:

Stupid question. How do you play FFXI for free?
    Stupid answer: Private Servers

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Gdemami said:
    MisterZebub said:
    I see your point
    No, you don't.

The point is, "virtual worlds"  and alike catchy phrases are nice on paper or to dream of but they are difficult to translate into a game and rarely fun game mechanics. That is how 1st gen MMOs started - devs probing untapped waters, trying to figure out what works and what does not. They tried single player or "real-like" mechanics, the result was mostly frustration - fighting over mobs, long travel times, regen and downtimes, situations like I described above - lots of time doing "nothing" or going in plain vain.

It is an inherited disadvantage of non-instanced(seamless), persistent "virtual" worlds.

There are certainly some people who enjoy such games but they are very few and why gen1 games saw a rapid decline once devs learned what people find fun and newer generation of games hit the market.

Yeah, I'm back to playing one of those 1st gen games which has all of those "disadvantages" you mention. 

As you said, appeals to a select audience, and I'm having a great time once again.

Screw what the masses want, they all ran off to play other genres and aren't likely to return no matter what convenience features are applied.

Me, I'll always be here.

Oh yes, before I forget, what is the name of the game you currently play, or enjoyed previously?

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    What game are you playing Ky ?
    Chamber of Chains
    edited February 2017
    cheyane said:
    DAOC, 1.65 rules version. So old school it's practically one room. ;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:
    DAOC, 1.65 rules version. So old school it's practically one room. ;)
    On the normal servers or ahem servers ?
    Chamber of Chains
    edited February 2017
    What happened to Renfail ?   I liked him.
    It was nice getting live updates,

One of the biggest reasons I like this site is that we talk real time, good, bad, made up, bash, hype.  We do it all here !........With this we can come to our OWN conclusions on releases, popularity, and tricks developers pull on us. 

You can't get this information from a web site, especially a developer web site.  They have the ability to hold back information on negative aspects......Well, we talk about this stuff ! 

Post edited by delete5230 on
  • ElloaElloa Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited February 2017
    Hey hey guys! 

The game is still currently in development. Our world builders, artists, coders and Renfail are working very hard. There is no Builds for testing planed for soon, as it has been announced several times already. BUT, you can already see those beautiful screenshots and artwork that has been shared on our social media.

You will have some news about a new build during this Spring. I do not have any date to share for now.

• Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55

Gdemami said:

MisterZebub said:
    I see your point

No, you don't.

Not to necropost here, but I have to ask you:

What is the harm in a game being designed for these "very few" individuals that want such an experience? Players like yourself have an absolute endless amount of "new school" MMO's to choose from, while players like myself that want a more EQ1 experience are limited in our options.

If you don't care for the mechanics of this game, or Pantheon, or any other, then fortunately you have limitless other options. I very much disagree that Saga of Lucimia or whichever game should alter its design for the reasons you stated, because then its an entirely different game altogether and not the game I signed up for in the first place.

Let those "few" players have their game, please.

Gdemami said:

MisterZebub said:
    I see your point

No, you don't.

What is the harm in a game being designed for these "very few" individuals that want such an experience? Players like yourself have an absolute endless amount of "new school" MMO's to choose from, while players like myself that want a more EQ1 experience are limited in our options.

If you don't care for the mechanics of this game, or Pantheon, or any other, then fortunately you have limitless other options. I very much disagree that Saga of Lucimia or whichever game should alter its design for the reasons you stated, because then its an entirely different game altogether and not the game I signed up for in the first place.

I'm with you all the way on this Good_Apollo,

These people want just another hack and slash playground.  Their not even interested in an mmo, infact many like only the fact that they can play most of them for free !
    edited April 2017

Gdemami said:

MisterZebub said:
    I see your point

No, you don't.

I'm with you all the way on this Good_Apollo,

These people want just another hack and slash playground.  Their not even interested in an mmo, infact many like only the fact that they can play most of them for free !

I'm not @Gdemami actually likes or plays any games, or at least I've never been able to coax it out him.

My guess is WOW, at least at one time.....mostly because I've not seen him criticize it or games which follow similar designs/business models.

EVE as well, since he frequently opines on it and is well informed.

His attitude fits as well. ;)

I am not denying anyone anything.

Just talking from business stand point - those games aren't really viable financially and at the end it will result in dislike and disappointment by fans as well.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    There's no basis from which to claim such a game will not be viable financially, when we have no examples of one since EverQuest, which still exists today nearly 20 years later.

The beauty of self-publishing and indie companies is that they develop their games for a tiny fraction of what mainstream games cost. As such, they can be successful and even grow with a much, much smaller playerbase.

edited April 2017
    Dullahan said:
    The beauty of self-publishing and indie companies is that they develop their games for a tiny fraction of what mainstream games cost. As such, they can be successful and even grow with a much, much smaller playerbase.

...that is of course non-sense.

There are only 2 games in MMO history that could experience somewhat long term growth(excluding titles expanding to other markets) - EVE Online and WoW.

In order to grow, you need money.
    In order to make money, you need large player base.
    In order to get large player base, you need large budget.

Of course there is a basis for such claim - like you said yourself, there is no such game on the market.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Gdemami said:

Dullahan said:

There are only 2 games in MMO history that could sustain somewhat long term growth(excluding titles expanding to other markets) - EVE Online and WoW.

Of course there is a basis for such claim - like you said yourself, there is no such game on the market.

Really

Where's the growth?

WoW has been on a slow steady decline since WotLK with a temporary increase at the release  of every Xpac and Eve? Hasn't that been on the decline for quite a few years now as well as always being only a niche title?

I mean how the heck do these two titles make money following your philosophy. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited April 2017
    EQs playerbase grew for 5 years, from an initial 200k the first year to over half a million. Then was still financially successful on subscription for another 7, even when their numbers dropped significantly post-WoW.

EQ had one of the highest (if not the highest) profit margin in the history of MMOs, having only spent a few million. They never expected or required hundreds of thousands of players, and could have been successful with far less.

Gdemami said:

Dullahan said:

There are only 2 games in MMO history that could experience somewhat long term growth(excluding titles expanding to other markets) - EVE Online and WoW.

Well, there is Lineage 1 which is a unique outlier as it continues to thrive for reasons that could be their own case study.

Dullahan said:

EQs playerbase grew for 5 years, from an initial 200k the first year to over half a million. Then was still financially successful on subscription for another 7, even when their numbers dropped significantly post-WoW.

EQ had one of the highest (if not the highest) profit margin in the history of MMOs, having only spent a few million. They never expected or required hundreds of thousands of players, and could have been successful with far less.

Last official number for EQ is 'over 420k' in 2004 at that was already in decline...

Rose tinted glasses you have there. Regardless it is the past, the market and player preferences changed since then.