Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does nobody mention Everquest 2 when suggesting mmos?

shenfreyshenfrey Member UncommonPosts: 114
I have never played this game but the sole reason I make this topic is simply looking at the bullet point list of features that this game has and it seems to offer everything you could want in an MMO.

Game Overview

EverQuest II is the epitome of massively multiplayer gaming - the ultimate blend of deep features, heritage, and community.

Explore an enormous online world where friends come together for adventure and community. Immerse yourself in the game's exciting locales, mysterious lands, intense battles, exciting quests and amazing achievements. Featuring breathtaking graphics and a vast, beautiful and dangerous game world to explore, EverQuest II sets the standard for MMORPG online gaming. Now, you can experience EverQuest II Free to Play. Your Way!™

Your character, your story, your adventure!
  • 100 Levels of unparalleled gameplay
  • Strong heritage and lore with game content spanning 10 years and 11 expansions
  • A thriving, friendly community with thousands of guilds
  • Over 5,000 creatures to battle and more than 8,000 quests to complete with hundreds of gorgeous, expansive and dangerous environments to explore
  • Independently leveled tradeskill system with deep quest lines
  • Full support of different play styles, from solo to groups, raids and PVP
  • Our Dungeon Finder system helps you join groups
  • Unique and robust housing system, with dozens of styles, thousands of items and a House Rating System
  • Exciting seasonal and holiday events to spice up the year
  • An expansive in-game marketplace containing potions, weapons, armor, classes, races, mounts and more!

Okay, other than the market place which seems a bit suspicious, I think everything there looks pretty good. Is there something wrong with the game that I don't know about? It has just released its 13th expansion pack which makes me think the game must still be doing well. If anyone could update me on what this game is like and why it isn't commonly suggested I'd appreciate it, I am tempting to trying it out : )

Comments

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited February 2017
    EQ2 is a great game, but I am thoroughly burned out on it.  It has some great features, but after playing about a year and a half, I'm kinda tired of it.  I went back to it, and the dated graphics and odd game mechanics were a struggle for me.  That said, it is a very good game worth investing time into.  If EQ3 was released and it was EQ2 remastered on a modern game engine with some of the annoying things that just were not worth fixing in the original fixed, I would play it in a heartbeat.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Weak points:
    Low population;
    bad graphics;
    bad animations;
    bad engine;
    HORRIBLE UI/skill bars layout(think WoW x5)

Personally, I find the weak point of the game to be its combat... and since most MMOs are 90% combat-based...

The crafting is overrated.  It's better than most "click to create" MMOs, but still pretty repetitive and bland. But, at least you can make cool furniture and such for your home.

Strong points:
    The housing was alot of fun, though.  The housing was great and there were tons of trophies and decorations you could get for your homes.

The lore is pretty cool.  It's particularly cool if you were an old EQ1 player -- just to compare how things changed in the world from the old game.

The "vision" system is pretty awesome.  By that, I mean, different races have toggle-ables, such as: Infravision(heat vision), Sonic vision, ultravision, etc.,  and they are pretty awesome and unique.  It adds some very cool flavor.  I'd love to see this stuff in more games.

The skill research system is somewhat interesting.

The racial quests were particularly neat.
  • AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
    no one mentions it for the same reason they dont mention Ultima Online or Dark Age of Camelot, they are all great games but are all old and dated.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    edited February 2017
    shenfrey said:
    I have never played this game but the sole reason I make this topic is simply looking at the bullet point list of features that this game has and it seems to offer everything you could want in an MMO.

Game Overview

EverQuest II is the epitome of massively multiplayer gaming - the ultimate blend of deep features, heritage, and community.

Explore an enormous online world where friends come together for adventure and community. Immerse yourself in the game's exciting locales, mysterious lands, intense battles, exciting quests and amazing achievements. Featuring breathtaking graphics and a vast, beautiful and dangerous game world to explore, EverQuest II sets the standard for MMORPG online gaming. Now, you can experience EverQuest II Free to Play. Your Way!™

Your character, your story, your adventure!
    • 100 Levels of unparalleled gameplay
    • Strong heritage and lore with game content spanning 10 years and 11 expansions
    • A thriving, friendly community with thousands of guilds
    • Over 5,000 creatures to battle and more than 8,000 quests to complete with hundreds of gorgeous, expansive and dangerous environments to explore
    • Independently leveled tradeskill system with deep quest lines
    • Full support of different play styles, from solo to groups, raids and PVP
    • Our Dungeon Finder system helps you join groups
    • Unique and robust housing system, with dozens of styles, thousands of items and a House Rating System
    • Exciting seasonal and holiday events to spice up the year
    • An expansive in-game marketplace containing potions, weapons, armor, classes, races, mounts and more!

Okay, other than the market place which seems a bit suspicious, I think everything there looks pretty good. Is there something wrong with the game that I don't know about? It has just released its 13th expansion pack which makes me think the game must still be doing well. If anyone could update me on what this game is like and why it isn't commonly suggested I'd appreciate it, I am tempting to trying it out : )
    I'm still playing, and I do mention it. Best housing in the genre. And the theme music still makes me smile every time. Especially Frostfell. I love Frostfell. 
  • GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    My weakness to this game is the housing. 

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Aparition said:
    no one mentions it for the same reason they dont mention Ultima Online or Dark Age of Camelot, they are all great games but are all old and dated.
    Its old and i still play it once in awhile. It will always be on my pc because i'm what you would call a legacy player as i bought it at launch and have way to many perks even as a f2p player to give it up. And its still fun to me. It still has the most races and classes to chose from in any mmo's 
  • AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Hariken said:
    Aparition said:
    Its old and i still play it once in awhile. It will always be on my pc because i'm what you would call a legacy player as i bought it at launch and have way to many perks even as a f2p player to give it up. And its still fun to me. It still has the most races and classes to chose from in any mmo's 
    you might wanna check out Daoc then, cause it dwarfes (pun intended) eq2 for races and classes :)

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    What matters is not the bullet points of what the game tried to implement, but how well it implemented it.  Like most MMORPGs, EQ2 is mostly about combat.  And the combat is terrible.

The basic problem with EQ2's combat is that what happens graphically on the screen is only loosely related to the underlying mechanics of who is attacking whom, where, when, and how.  I've never seen anything else like that in any other game, as it's a bizarre problem to have.  It feels more like a broken pre-alpha game that hasn't gotten animations working right yet than an actual released game.  You might have to try it for yourself to see just how bad it is.  But a mostly combat game where the graphical part of combat basically doesn't work has little hope of being good.
  • prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    it has my favorite housing system of any game. thats saying a ot because there are facets of almost every game i like

• MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    edited February 2017
    I so wanted to love this game, literally from the day it came out. I have tried it so many times. Clunky is a very good word used by a poster above, it just never felt right. Also very sparsely populated and top heavy now, even on the TLP servers.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Loved the game, one of the best I have ever played.  I am sure it is still a good game but now it feels dated to me. Once I get that feeling I can not immerse my self into the world anymore.  :(

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    It is a  great game, but the cash shop is WAY too intrusive and it aged horribly.

• iatesandiatesand Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I still play EQ2, on the progression server. like any old game, after you play it for 2 days all the oddities that people are crying about  here vanish.

The biggest issue is the game has so much bloat for its age it gets stupid at the later parts of the game.  Right now on the progression server its still fun
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    iatesand said:
    I still play EQ2, on the progression server. like any old game, after you play it for 2 days all the oddities that people are crying about  here vanish.

The biggest issue is the game has so much bloat for its age it gets stupid at the later parts of the game.  Right now on the progression server its still fun
    This is from someone that played and just recently stopped playing.

Yep 2 days in is still a blast. Given a couple months and it will change drastically since by then one is in the latest expansion and it is so bad that people have left it.

The last expansion is a job. It requires you to be in the zone running the content for hours to get advancement on your new skill line.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    because is old and havent aged well , the gameplay is "ok" , questing is boring , the UI needs some love (u can use addons tho) , my main issue are combat (doesnt have chains , fun procs or anything is just smash your buttons , at HL thing change quite a bit but still ugh) and of course ability bloat , 5 bars and still need more....is insane.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Because i found it boring when it was fresh
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Great game still. Anyone who says it isn t good, doesn t know MMOs.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    DMKano said:
    Soki123 said:
    Great game still. Anyone who says it isn t good, doesn t know MMOs.

No anyone who says it isnt good is just saying its not to their liking.

Just because a car mechanic doesnt like to work on a particular model doesnt mean they cant fix cars.

Preference is a thing.

Ok whatever you say.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Honestly, not to make this about WoW...but its because WoW is better for a themepark game. Honestly, WoW vs EQ2 is a fair match up, both came out about same time, both themeparks. However...

EQ2 is like vanilla WoW, but take out all the lore and stylized graphics and replace it with very hard to find lore and crappy graphics that run worse than WoW does despite looking fugly as hell

Take WoW today, and WoW is like a cinematic story experience. The questing is intense and fun, the lore is great, the story is great (for an MMO) and the world is very immersive. It also has a lot less loading screens and runs a lot better. WoW I get 60 FPS, EQ2 I get crappy graphics and have a VERY hard time running it.

EQ2 has its upsides. The community is good (though a bit elitist and snobby), the housing is 3rd best in MMO genre (only SWG and UO beating it out), its about PVE and doesn't focus on PvP (an MMO should focus on one or the other) and there is a TON of content

However. That content is pretty boring. If I want to play a themepark with fun gameplay and content, I go to WoW. Crafting is overhyped, SWG has way better crafting. SWG and UO have way better housing. The crafting classes aren't fun at all (WoW has far more fun crafting, as an Engineer I can make explosives, robotic pets and all kinds of fun things. Alchemy gets a TON of fun stuff. Cooking in WoW is also very fun) or in SWG which doesn't have that fun craftables as WoW, is still far better than anything else as far as crafting goes.

I tried EQ2. Got to level 20 and was left in a world with no direction. There was no grand story line like in WoW, no fun combat like WoW, nothing at all cinematic about the game. Then there was no awesome virtual world like in SWG. In WoW, I'm bombarded with so much lore about the world, so much knowledge...each race has a TON of lore. In EQ2, each race (and this was the biggest reason for me not liking it) felt like a no name race with no background history barely. Maybe it was out there in EQ2, but the race lore was nearly non-existent. WoW did their race lore a lot better, and maybe it wasn't better, but they sure made the lore easy to find and easy to follow compared to EQ2.

And that is why I play themeparks, for lore, fun, cinematic experience. EQ2 had none.

Then EQ2's big selling point of housing...well...SWG is far better for that. And SWG has a far better virtual world.

Honestly, Blizzard killed EQ2 in every way. They designed WoW with better art style (which EQ2 art style is crap today), and just far better lore, story and fun combat.

Plus honestly, while EQ2's community isn't really bad. If you are an outsider, they REALLY drive those types of people out of the community if they act in any way the EQ2 players find weird or odd or different than them...very...secular, elitist and snobby feeling community. I didn't like it.

Plus when I joined a guild in EQ2, the players acted TOO nice. The whole community felt creepy to me. As in, it felt like they were faking being nice and the whole community honestly felt like one of those Twilight Zone kind of things lol. Like I just entered a small town in the US which is really a weird cult that doesn't like anyone not part of their cult or act like them, but they still act overly nice to win you over.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    EQ2 was pretty awful. It was not worthy of the EQ name afaic. It started a little closer to the genuine article, but only got worse as more and more convenience and lazy mechanics were utilized. Going back and playing again a few years ago, I found it beyond bad that so much of the world was instanced and repurposed for other things. A place that was once a dungeon can now be entered in three different instanced modes, providing content for various level ranges.

That's lazy and unacceptable in a virtual world, especially one bearing the EQ name.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I'd agree that it doesn't get as much love as it should get. It really does give you a choice of now-standard themepark progression or grinding (you can actually grind levels, though not in the same way as EQ) plus gives many alternate things to do. I love coming back here and there and have a Paladin (was originally SK that was created in 2005) I have yet to max level. Anyone that wants to get lost in a fantasy game for a while and likes a mixture of combat, gathering, crafting, housing, etc. should at least try it.

One of my peevs with EQ2 is having far too many abilities. Some may love having that kind of spamfest but I like quality rather than quantity. Also, they should really consolidate to one server for each server type.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited February 2017
    Aelious said:
    I'd agree that it doesn't get as much love as it should get. It really does give you a choice of now-standard themepark progression or grinding (you can actually grind levels, though not in the same way as EQ) plus gives many alternate things to do. I love coming back here and there and have a Paladin (was originally SK that was created in 2005) I have yet to max level. Anyone that wants to get lost in a fantasy game for a while and likes a mixture of combat, gathering, crafting, housing, etc. should at least try it.

One of my peevs with EQ2 is having far too many abilities. Some may love having that kind of spamfest but I like quality rather than quantity. Also, they should really consolidate to one server for each server type.
    That was one thing I liked WoW did.

It removed Fireball XIV and instead, just made one fireball spell get better over time.

WoW did use to have multiple tiers of spells you had to get, like older themeparks had. But it sure made things a lot tidier and easier to manage. Like there actually doesn't need to be 100 fireballs you can get that are the same exact spell, but better damage lol. 

But EQ2 has a TON of spells in general, many which are pretty damn useless. 

I will say though that I didn't add in my above post. EQ2's classes are pretty fun despite a lot of useless abilities. I loved the Coercer, a class type you don't often see in new MMOs. Crowd control classes kinda disappeared from development in a lot of games, and many crowd control spells don't even work in raids. its literally just DPS/heal/tank. But no crowd control or anything else. I really miss that from older MMOs all the different jobs people had in raids and dungeons.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    A lot of the things I didn't like about EQ2 really are just personal preference.  But that's why I didn't bring them up in this thread.  I find it difficult to believe that there are people who prefer that a game's graphics only be loosely related to the underlying mechanics of what is really going on in the game world.

Note that I'm not saying that EQ2 is ugly.  Rather, the principle is that a game's graphics shouldn't interfere with gameplay.  I've held that view for a long time, and the game that taught me it was important was for Atari 2600.  EQ2's combat fails that principle and badly.

Even if the graphics had been better synchronized with the combat, I probably still wouldn't have liked EQ2.  I probably would have given it more than the few days that I did.  But the difficulty in figuring out what was even going on in combat wrecked things to the extent that the game never really had a chance.

Now maybe you can get used to it, as someone said above.  But I'd contend that you shouldn't have to, as it's something that most games did a decent enough job of 20 years before EQ2 launched.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Aelious said:

That was one thing I liked WoW did.

It removed Fireball XIV and instead, just made one fireball spell get better over time.

WoW did use to have multiple tiers of spells you had to get, like older themeparks had. But it sure made things a lot tidier and easier to manage. Like there actually doesn't need to be 100 fireballs you can get that are the same exact spell, but better damage lol. 

But EQ2 has a TON of spells in general, many which are pretty damn useless. 

I will say though that I didn't add in my above post. EQ2's classes are pretty fun despite a lot of useless abilities. I loved the Coercer, a class type you don't often see in new MMOs. Crowd control classes kinda disappeared from development in a lot of games, and many crowd control spells don't even work in raids. its literally just DPS/heal/tank. But no crowd control or anything else. I really miss that from older MMOs all the different jobs people had in raids and dungeons.

If they would just take out damage only abilities and those that are similar it would be perfect. The way you can tailor yourself (AA system) this would go a long way to keeping identity with so many classes and also making the combat something other then a UI hotkey simulator ;).
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I liked EQ2 once but it have not really aged with dignity. After EoF it started to slide downwards and when it converted to a rather bad F2P version me and all my friends (who played it) quit it for good. And honestly, it had way too many expansions by now making the game very chaotic.

So the reason I don't recommend it is that it is far too old by now, same reason I don't recommend EQ or other really old games to people. 

Also, EQ2s weakest point was always it's engine, when a new computer have problem running an ancient game without stuttering you know that the code just ain't good.