Return to Morrowind on June 6th - New Zone, New Class & More - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDMember EpicPosts: 21,106
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    DLC or Expansion. Does not really matter what label you put on it. It is new content.
    Dying Light The Following is an expansion of the base game but many just call it DLC.
    I think all this posturing over a label is silly.
    When you throw ESO's sub model into the picture it becomes a bit more than just a label. It leaves me questioning the value of my ESO sub. Not my problem, I can play without it. I'll save more $ than the price of the expansion by the time its released.

Zenimax's loss, not mine.
    Why is it bad here but it's okay for WoW or FF14 to do it? Why are people so salty? It's not like in WoW or FF14 that screw you for stopping your rent payment? I only bring those up because people like to refer to those as how it should all work financially, yet they're more expensive and demand a higher minimum buy in.

It's a landmass and a new class for $40. Suddenly the entire fanbase that feels entitled to have it given to them how they want get all salty. Seems a little childish.

Xpacs for FF14, for existing users, can cost up to $150. You can get the deluxe upgrade for $60. What other MMO offers a deluxe edition to their players for $60? Most single player AAA titles charge more than that.
    I interpret that it mostly falls on the lack of subbing options to get it. Up until this point you could just sub and play whatever addition you wanted to. No need to pay extra.. I agree though it's par for the course of what is in most MMORPG expansions, compared to some you seemingly get more here... 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,209
    mmrv said:
    Was almost exciting and then you see its just repackaged reused same old content...I mean how many times am I going to fight the mechanical spiders...40 bucks to kill the same old stuff for the same old rewards but in a slightly modified landscape....yawn, these developers just don't get it and can't help but dish out cheap money grabs disguised as "new content".
    Don't forget the obligatory references and screen flashes to popular places / terms(typical marketing trick). What they are doing is just selling a DLC disguised under the "expansion" moniker, so they could sell it to everyone. And using the emotional reactions of...people to get them to purchase. And seeing this thread, it sadly works. Hint: Just because it has a Morrowind skin and a Morrowind name, doesn't have to mean it'll be anywhere close to Morrowind's level. Morrowind impacted gaming forever. This..."expansion" is just a cheap shot targetted at people's nostalgia and emotions in order to sell. Disgusting. Nobody except ESO players will remember it a year after. Morrowind's remembered AND played FIFTEEN YEARS after its launch!
  • DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDMember EpicPosts: 21,106
    Gorwe said:
    mmrv said:
    Was almost exciting and then you see its just repackaged reused same old content...I mean how many times am I going to fight the mechanical spiders...40 bucks to kill the same old stuff for the same old rewards but in a slightly modified landscape....yawn, these developers just don't get it and can't help but dish out cheap money grabs disguised as "new content".
    Don't forget the obligatory references and screen flashes to popular places / terms(typical marketing trick). What they are doing is just selling a DLC disguised under the "expansion" moniker, so they could sell it to everyone. And using the emotional reactions of...people to get them to purchase. And seeing this thread, it sadly works. Hint: Just because it has a Morrowind skin and a Morrowind name, doesn't have to mean it'll be anywhere close to Morrowind's level. Morrowind impacted gaming forever. This..."expansion" is just a cheap shot targetted at people's nostalgia and emotions in order to sell. Disgusting. Nobody except ESO players will remember it a year after. Morrowind's remembered AND played FIFTEEN YEARS after its launch!
    Do you really think anyone expects this to rival the nostalgia of Morrowind? 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,725
    Distopia said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:
    DLC or Expansion. Does not really matter what label you put on it. It is new content.
    Dying Light The Following is an expansion of the base game but many just call it DLC.
    When you throw ESO's sub model into the picture it becomes a bit more than just a label. It leaves me questioning the value of my ESO sub. Not my problem, I can play without it. I'll save more $ than the price of the expansion by the time its released.

Why is it bad here but it's okay for WoW or FF14 to do it? Why are people so salty? It's not like in WoW or FF14 that screw you for stopping your rent payment? I only bring those up because people like to refer to those as how it should all work financially, yet they're more expensive and demand a higher minimum buy in.

It's a landmass and a new class for $40. Suddenly the entire fanbase that feels entitled to have it given to them how they want get all salty. Seems a little childish.

Xpacs for FF14, for existing users, can cost up to $150. You can get the deluxe upgrade for $60. What other MMO offers a deluxe edition to their players for $60? Most single player AAA titles charge more than that.
    I interpret that it mostly falls on the lack of subbing options to get it. Up until this point you could just sub and play whatever addition you wanted to. No need to pay extra.. I agree though it's par for the course of what is in most MMORPG expansions, compared to some you seemingly get more here... 
    Turbine has done this in the past with their xpacs post F2P and the ability to buy DLC/QuestPacks with Points. They do it whenever they want an initial hard revenue bump. Credits, or Points in LotRO, don't have a direct monetary value so I can see why they want that.

I get why some people are all in a rage. They've hoarded Credits with the expectation they will be able to purchase all content that way. It's not happening that way.

Another thing to note is that I wouldn't expect the sub to cover the xpac area. I would expect it to cover additional DLC within that area, but not without that purchase. This will probably set off all sorts of additional nerd rage when confirmed but also works no different than EQ2, LotRO, or WoW. There is xpac content gated from the sub.

I have a megaton of Credits (well about 13k) and it would benefit me to be able to purchase with credits. I'm not really bothered by it for two reasons.
     - The game and cost of the xpac isn't very expensive compared some of my other mmos.
     - They offered an upgrade path for existing customers. That was thoughtful (see Heart of Thorns).
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,145
    Torval said:
     - They offered an upgrade path for existing customers. That was thoughtful (see Heart of Thorns).
    They pretty well had to since the Xpac includes the base game and unless another shoe is about to drop, the base game is still not free.
    Ah, you've been with the professors and they've all liked your looks
    With great lawyers you have discussed lepers and crooks
    You've been through all of F. Scott Fitzgerald's books
    You're very well-read, it's well-known
    But something is happening here and you don't know what it is
    Do you, Mr. Jones?
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,725
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    They pretty well had to since the Xpac includes the base game and unless another shoe is about to drop, the base game is still not free.
    Like I said, see ANet and Heart of Thorns. ANet didn't offer price breaks to existing customers at all. The base game became free months later though. There was a pretty decent PR backlash and in hindsight it could have been presented better.
    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: The Plugz, The Burning Sensations
    Album: Repo Man Soundtrack
    Featured Tracks: Hombre Secreto [Plugz], Pablo Picasso [Burning Sensations]
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,209
    edited February 1
    Distopia said:
    Gorwe said:
    mmrv said:
    Do you really think anyone expects this to rival the nostalgia of Morrowind? 
    No. I expect that this will sell because it "is" "Morrowind". And mostly because of it.
    Post edited by Gorwe on
  • HorusraHorusra maryland, MDMember RarePosts: 3,643
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:

Are FF XIV and WOW in the business of selling DLC? No one forced ESO to set-up the B2P + DLC model. They did that themselves. Once they did it though, they created the onus to go well beyond DLC for Xpacs.

Or does this look similar in size and scope to you as Burning Crusade or WOTLK did?

no one  forced them assumes the  market did not.
  • jonp200jonp200 Veazie, MEMember UncommonPosts: 315
    Super cool

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• SainguinSainguin Steubenville, OHMember UncommonPosts: 60
    Iselin said:
    Sainguin said:

Iselin said:

Sainguin said:

Iselin said:

Iselin said:

New class should be available for everyone.

But no, it won't be.

The Warden comes with Morrowind and is not part of the base game. Only those that own Morrowind will be able to create a Warden.

I am aware of the posted writing. Yet it does not change my opinion that I believe all owners of the game should have access to the new class.

No disagreement from me. Same with new 4v4v4 battlegrounds. That will also be a Morrowind-only exclusive.

Hey they had to find enough to throw in there to sell the idea that this is an expansion and not a DLC :)

You're hilariously mad about this.

To the point of completely missing everything and just being blinded by rage.

Morrowind is most definitely a full on expansion. Its double the size of Orsinium, adds a new storyline to the game, adds three 4v4v4 battlegrounds, adds a new way to start off in the game, adds a new class, and adds a new trial.

In literally any other MMO this is an expansion. Actually, this is exactly a World of Warcraft expansion. New class? Check. New area? Check. New endgame? Check. Expansion.

So quit your baseless raging and grow up.

Oh it's double the size now? It just keeps on growing... lol.

I've got a can of special super Pepsi called Pepsi+. I'll let it go for $20... you interested?

Lol kinda funny how that's the only argument you can provide.

You know you're wrong but you're so butthurt you can't admit it.
    Look kid, I've been playing ESO and promoting it in this site since before you even knew it was thing. But unlike you, I call them as I see them and don't go all fanboy whiteknight when they need to be called on something.

This is a DLC re-branded as an expansion simply for the extra profit.  
    Are you really trying to pull the "I've played longer than you" crap? Really?

Not that it actually matters at all but I've been playing ESO since the very first beta.

Does my opinion suddenly hold more worth? Nope. Not even a little.

Take your epeen measuring contest somewhere else.
  • SainguinSainguin Steubenville, OHMember UncommonPosts: 60
    Iselin said:
    Kryn said:
    Iselin said:
    SlyLoK said:

Iselin said:

While a return to Morrowind - technically those parts not already in the game - is indeed exciting news, the fact that they decided to re-brand this DLC as an "expansion" despite having little more in it than previous offerings called DLC (e.g. Orsinium) is leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm starting to feel like I'm getting over-marketed in ESO.

Morrowind is twice the size of Orsinium. Not even comparable.
    Orsinium was marketed as 20 hours... definitely comparable.

"Orsinium, ESO's largest DLC game pack to date, features a colossal new zone with over 20 hours of story content, a new single-player monster arena, new public dungeons, and much more!"
    I must have missed Orsinium's added class.  You can play the game for FREE after you buy it.  People will bitch about anything.
    Oh so it's dusting off the old beta Warden that's the defining characteristic of an expansion... good to know.
    The Warden didn't exist during beta. It was DATAMINED during beta. Meaning we got a little look at it and knew what the three skill lines were maybe going to be called. Same with the Vvardenfell datamines over a year ago.

You're grasping for anything and everything to be petty about.

Enough. You're an adult. It's time to act like one.

Either buy the expansion or don't. Nobody wants to read your complaints on every single page of this thread.
  • black_isleblack_isle IstanbulMember UncommonPosts: 250
    told ya :P

seriously, this is all very good stuff.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson USAMember EpicPosts: 2,264
    Iselin said:
    But no, it won't be.

The Warden comes with Morrowind and is not part of the base game. Only those that own Morrowind will be able to create a Warden.
    To be fair, how is this different than when you didn't own WoTLK and couldn't make a DK.  Or the current DH if you didn't upgrade to Legion.  Just an honest question here.
  • josko9josko9 asdsa, CTMember RarePosts: 530
    edited February 1
    Look guys no reason to be upset. If you don't like the prices don't buy the expansion. It will go sooner on discount that way. Though I have a feeling ESO's sales will sky-rocket once more. 

Think of it this way, Homestead is free, One Tamriel was free. And all other DLCs were covered by a Subscription or you could buy them separately. You didn't have to buy the DLC that you didn't like, ZOS gave you the choice to choose. How many MMOs allow that anyway? In WoW you need to stay subbed to play through those content patches that feature much less than ESO's DLCs.

And for the expansion, it's 40$. For that you get an entire island, 3 battlegrounds, 1 raid, a new class, and probably all the solo dungeons, public dungeons and world bosses that usually come with it. For me that's a steal. 

Oh and you might think, but this is only 1 Zone, is it really? Do you realize that 1 ESO Standard Zone = 3 WoW Zones combined? Wrothgar wasn't a standard zone, and it featured AT LEAST half of what Legion has to offer, in terms of landmass and content.

IF "Morrowind" expansion is really twice bigger than Wrothgar (Orsinium), then we are looking at a Zone that is bigger than entire Legion's landmass. That's like 7-8 WoW Zones combined in size. And that is all without measuring the huge quality difference between the games.
    Post edited by josko9 on
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Halifax, NSMember UncommonPosts: 1,236
    At first I was surprised by the prices but then realized this isn't just one of their little DLC's, and is actually a full blown expansion. Warden seems like it could be fun, and I really wanna check out those 4v4v4 battlegrounds.
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Good stuff!
    But guys, where is the soundtrack CD in those collectors? :D
  • klash2defklash2def Member RarePosts: 852
    ESO has so much potential.. I'm glad its going this direction! Cant wait for this one WARDEN looks BA :)
    Angry Chicken
    USMC 2nd Mar Div/RCT 2/2nd LAR (Veteran)
    Music Supervisor
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Valve Corporation Member LegendaryPosts: 9,758
    klash2def said:
    ESO has so much potential.. I'm glad its going this direction! Cant wait for this one WARDEN looks BA :)
    Warden does look great. Prepare for thousands and thousands of them lol

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCMember EpicPosts: 4,950
    Torval said:
    laserit said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the price. My issue is I cant use my crowns to purchase it. I'm failing to see the value of a sub anymore much much cheaper to just cough up for the DLC. This Xpac reveal is showing me that my crowns that are building up through my sub are useless. $40 worth of crowns sounds fair to me. 

I'm not into RNG, outfits, pets and crap, My stockpile of crowns are proving useless. $15 a month for a crafting bag is losing it's appeal quickly. They're killing the reason I sub.

It's not a problem, I'll kill my sub and just purchase the DLC and Xpac's from now on, much much cheaper for me that way.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,041
    laserit said:
    Torval said:
    laserit said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with the price. My issue is I cant use my crowns to purchase it. I'm failing to see the value of a sub anymore much much cheaper to just cough up for the DLC. This Xpac reveal is showing me that my crowns that are building up through my sub are useless. $40 worth of crowns sounds fair to me. 

I'm not into RNG, outfits, pets and crap, My stockpile of crowns are proving useless. $15 a month for a crafting bag is losing it's appeal quickly. They're killing the reason I sub.

It's not a problem, I'll kill my sub and just purchase the DLC and Xpac's from now on, much much cheaper for me that way.
    That's why I stopped the sub. As soon as they announced their new payment model I saw that there was nothing I wanted in the shop. Normally I'm all over the cosmetic outfits but I don't like anything in their shop.

Iselin said:
    But no, it won't be.

To be fair, how is this different than when you didn't own WoTLK and couldn't make a DK.  Or the current DH if you didn't upgrade to Legion.  Just an honest question here.
    You're asking the wrong guy. I've already said more than enough about why this isn't a legitimate expansion.

@blueturtle13 was the one who zeroed in on the Warden for everyone... ask him.

Do you, Mr. Jones?
    Update:

I was paying $70.00 every 6 months (since release) for my sub. Now I've cancelled and I will buy the Xpac for $40.00 and whatever DLC they release. I'll be able to purchase a few of them with my balance of crowns. I already own every one of them as it was the only thing for me personally to spend my crowns on.

In my case it would have been to Zenimax's benefit to let me buy the Xpac with my crowns.

laserit said:
    Update:

I was paying $70.00 every 6 months (since release) for my sub. Now I've cancelled and I will buy the Xpac for $40.00 and whatever DLC they release. I'll be able to purchase a few of them with my balance of crowns. I already own every one of them as it was the only thing for me personally to spend my crowns on.

In my case it would have been to Zenimax's benefit to let me buy the Xpac with my crowns.
    I cancelled yesterday as well.

BTW... Matt just posted the brand new business model. These "chapters" (AKA "expansions" and formerly known as quarterly DLC) will be a yearly thing now:

Because we will be regularly introducing Chapters to ESO, we are going to make a small revision to our content delivery cadence, starting this year. We will continue to ship quarterly updates to the game – each with a base patch that has all the balance, quality of life, and bug fixes that you have come to expect. Additionally, we'll have a DLC in the first quarter of each year, a Chapter in the second quarter, a dungeon-based DLC in the third quarter, and a DLC in the 4th quarter.

http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2017/02/01/welcome-to-2017

Do you, Mr. Jones?
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Update:

BTW... Matt just posted the brand new business model. These "chapters" (AKA "expansions" and formerly known as quarterly DLC) will be a yearly thing now:

Because we will be regularly introducing Chapters to ESO, we are going to make a small revision to our content delivery cadence, starting this year. We will continue to ship quarterly updates to the game – each with a base patch that has all the balance, quality of life, and bug fixes that you have come to expect. Additionally, we'll have a DLC in the first quarter of each year, a Chapter in the second quarter, a dungeon-based DLC in the third quarter, and a DLC in the 4th quarter.

Looks like cancelling was the right move. 

• rodarinrodarin camarillo, CAMember RarePosts: 1,844
    laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    laserit said:
    Update:

Looks like cancelling was the right move. 
    Yup this blueprint they outlined makes subscribing completely foolish. I outlined it on the forums but for the price of a sub youre going to be able to buy 22000 or 44000 crowns depending on if you pay regular or sale price. You will be much further ahead if you save your sub money and buy crowns, assuming you want to keep playing the game at all. You then OWN everything and arent  just renting it. Semantics obviously but you wont lose what you have access to if you stop subbing.

Even if they can keep the 3 DLC promise (unlikely) thats 7500 crowns a year for those (unless they raise their prices dramatically) and you already have to pay for these 'chapters' just like everyone else. SO  if you buy 4 packages during a 40% sales youre going to have 36500 crowns left. Thats a lot of bank space to make up for that crafting bag (unless youre already maxed out already)

Short of giving subscribers discounts based on months subbed during the year for these chapters then subbing is useless.

They MUST have another plan in place somewhere for subscribers, they really cant think peopel cant do basic math and realize subscribing to the game right now it useless.

They probably should have taken the advice of people who were guessing "free to play" as the big announcement or at least a joint announcement of F2P in conjunction with Morrowind.