Pillars of Eternity - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Returning Companions & Continuing Saves - MMO

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerThe CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 25,833
edited January 31 in News & Features Discussion

imagePillars of Eternity - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Returning Companions & Continuing Saves - MMORPG.com

Pillars of Eternity II began its crowdfunding on Fig last week, and is already tearing through its stretch goals after securing enough initial funding to complete the game. We caught up with Obsidian’s Josh Sawyer to talk about the game’s import save system, and its returning companions. Read on for some insight into the story and mechanics of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• azarhalazarhal Somewhere, BCMember UncommonPosts: 1,167
    So returning companions are going to have bonus and specific gear. Interesting.

Also, who would suppress Iselmyr? She's so interesting and would fit so well with a pirate themed game.
  • NycteliosNyctelios Novo Hamburgo - RS - BrazilMember EpicPosts: 2,248
    Do they need crowdfunding? Can't they use the money they got with previous titles?

They are using crowdfunding to avoid dealing with publishers... but the money a publisher would get by investing on the project is on their pockets.

They are not giving back to the founders - which would be an analogy to publishers on this format.

So they make a project, complete founded by backers, sell it not having to give a cut to publishers and then go and ask for money again? It is starting to look fishy to me... Like they are exploiting the "gimme gold" thing.

" Tawnos's blueprints were critical to the creation of my armor. As he once sealed himself in steel, I sealed myself in a walking crypt. "
    —Urza

- Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • azarhalazarhal Somewhere, BCMember UncommonPosts: 1,167

Nyctelios said:

Do they need crowdfunding? Can't they use the money they got with previous titles?

The game would have been made without crowdfunding, they have been working over a year on it already. It's just that without the crowdfunding the budget didn't allow for multiclassing, localizations, sub-classes and all the other stetch goals. The first game didn't even sell 1m copies, so it didn't make that much in revenue (the 4.4m budget was also busted, so they had to borrow money).

Also, with FIG you can really invest in the game and get a cut (instead of pre-ordering which is really what Kickstarter is about) and that's the primary reason why they used crowdfunding again for the sequel. Obsidian wants to build a pool of investors for larger projects via FIG.
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Brooklyn, NYMember UncommonPosts: 1,202

Nyctelios said:

They are using crowdfunding to avoid dealing with publishers... but the money a publisher would get by investing on the project is on their pockets.

They are not giving back to the founders - which would be an analogy to publishers on this format.

So they make a project, complete founded by backers, sell it not having to give a cut to publishers and then go and ask for money again? It is starting to look fishy to me... Like they are exploiting the "gimme gold" thing.

You want a well published game but complain or get suspicious when they try to do it. I hope they make a shit load of money as long as the games remain quality. When they produce a shit game I still wish they get their money because they tried something.

Some of you people come off like to do this stuff (well) is cheap. Its not.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,385

Nyctelios said:

You're misunderstanding the point. It's not that they couldn't get funding from an investor, it's that when you do that you give up creative control. The investor starts making you changes that they believe will boost sales, even if those changes are inconsistent with the lore of the game, or the stated goal of the project, etc.

They do it this way because they can make the game they want to make, that the fans want, and eliminate the middlemen.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche