Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard millions but no server room lol.

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
So Blizzard likes to make millions from their games but to show their respect they offer up Que ue's.

I have noticed the lag in all their games, it is very obvious when servers become busy.As soon as it hit around 6 AM est the game got real laggy,i was like wtf just happened.
So i go afk for a few to eat,come back and it's 6 minute que ue's lol.

To put it in perspective,when FFXI went live,it was insane,so many players it was laggy as heck in a busy area.However not once have i ever had a que ue to any game outside of Blizzard.It is always in perspective,you make more money,you have more players you allot more server space.

During busy hours,i get the same crazy lag in Hearthstone as well,i thought it was me,my mouse would stick on screen,there is rubber banding,it is so bad for such a giant operation to operate like an amateur.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

ExcessionNepheth

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    And now it is maintenance time lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Lots of game developers use queue systems (especially when dealing with large populations) to make sure their login servers don't get overloaded. It's actually a smart way to avoid having to allocate too many resources to maintaining servers just to have players log into your game and keep more assets free for actually running your game once people have successfully logged in.

Division did this since day 1, EVE Online has had queues since just before they left Beta, about 14-15 years ago. It's also extremely common in Korean MMO style games or any game which will have regular maintenance and large amounts of players logging in and out in large numbers on a daily basis. 

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Tuesday is always maintenance day for almost every single MMO.  It's the day with the least traffic.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Grunty said:
    Tuesday is always maintenance day for almost every single MMO.  It's the day with the least traffic.
    Not to mention it is announced DAYS ahead of time on the launcher and in the game menu when logging in. No mystery there. NA maintenance for all Blizzard games is on Tuesdays, Wednesdays for EU.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    So Blizz games are the only ones that ever have queues, lag, or maintenance? Are you new to the genre, or just trolling?
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Lots of game developers use queue systems (especially when dealing with large populations) to make sure their login servers don't get overloaded. It's actually a smart way to avoid having to allocate too many resources to maintaining servers just to have players log into your game and keep more assets free for actually running your game once people have successfully logged in.

Division did this since day 1, EVE Online has had queues since just before they left Beta, about 14-15 years ago. It's also extremely common in Korean MMO style games or any game which will have regular maintenance and large amounts of players logging in and out in large numbers on a daily basis. 
    Oh yes i like the ones that queue and when you get on, The whole fking place is empty. Not a soul around...lol

I retired retroactively..Haha

Rhoklaw said:
    Did you expect anything more gratuitous from Blizzard? Do you honestly think they care about you? With Blizzard, you pay for a product, not services rendered. They have and will continue to treat their community like crap because they know none of you have the balls to boycott them. I don't play their games anymore myself and haven't really since WotLK expansion. Their fanbase is far too persistent and rabid for anything about Blizzard to change in a positive direction.
    Boycott them for what exactly? Because the OP had some lag? lol
    Avarix
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    It *is* noticable in many games when a lot of people play, many simply do not provide (powerful) enough servers for the amount of people playing. Whether it's worth it for them from a financial point of view is something else.

And many, despite having queues, like to crash whenever more than 5 people try to log in at once. Why have a queue if you can't even handle that? Without a queue, it would actually distribute across more time, because nobody knows when exactly the servers are up again, and would just try randomly. If you can get to the login queue before the servers are ready, players will fill all queues at once and login at the same time.

And if you do it right, you don't need to shut the servers down for regular maintenance anyway, so there won't be massive spike of people trying to login.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Oh, mmorpg.com, never change.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

Nyctelios said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Did you expect anything more gratuitous from Blizzard? Do you honestly think they care about you? With Blizzard, you pay for a product, not services rendered. They have and will continue to treat their community like crap because they know none of you have the balls to boycott them. I don't play their games anymore myself and haven't really since WotLK expansion. Their fanbase is far too persistent and rabid for anything about Blizzard to change in a positive direction.
    Actually the first time I quit WoW was when they released an article bragging about how much money they got on that quarter and I was reading it while standing in front of Thrall's low poly shit model in Draenor.

Everyone has its reason to do or not do something, trying to listen their side is better than plainly dismiss it waving your hand.

I just think OP wasn't happy on his choice of words... Maybe he meant since Blizzard has this much resources they could open more server - which is a thing we actually could discuss. Well, you could discuss. I don't play D3 since a long time ago... The servers were great that time (with the exception of the launch day shit show - which they fixed pretty quickly).
    The OP isn't happy with anything that isn't FF:XI, that's always been his MO.
    NephethAvarix
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Wizardry said:
    So Blizzard likes to make millions from their games but to show their respect they offer up Que ue's.

I have noticed the lag in all their games, it is very obvious when servers become busy.As soon as it hit around 6 AM est the game got real laggy,i was like wtf just happened.
    So i go afk for a few to eat,come back and it's 6 minute que ue's lol.

To put it in perspective,when FFXI went live,it was insane,so many players it was laggy as heck in a busy area.However not once have i ever had a que ue to any game outside of Blizzard.It is always in perspective,you make more money,you have more players you allot more server space.

During busy hours,i get the same crazy lag in Hearthstone as well,i thought it was me,my mouse would stick on screen,there is rubber banding,it is so bad for such a giant operation to operate like an amateur.

If you have never met a queue in any other game then maybe you haven't played many games. I've experienced queues in nearly every "AAA" MMORPG that I've played. Also, it should be noted that the reason you aren't likely to experience queues in other games could be directly related to population as well. 

If I'm being completely honest, if you're complaining about a 6-minute queue, it makes me wonder how many MMORPGs you've actually played. That's tame. I would have prayed for a 6-minute queue on launch day for most WoW expansions. 

Also, FFXI and FFXIV both use queue systems and BOTH have had serious queues in the past. I can respect that YOU have never experienced these queues in THAT game (or any game apparently), but they do exist and they are well documented. Seriously.... use google. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Intermittent lag, hugely popular games that cause queues, and server maintenance that is announced on the launcher a day before it happens. 

Here's some info about Blizz's datacenters, and this was from 2009. I'm sure there's been vast improvements since then. There's also a short video clip showing one of the many server rooms.

• Blizzard Online Network Services run in 10 data centers around the world, including facilities in Washington, California, Texas, Massachusetts, France, Germany, Sweden, South Korea, China, and Taiwan.
    • Blizzard uses 20,000 systems and 1.3 petabytes of storage to power its gaming operations.
    • WoW’s infrastructure includes 13,250 server blades, 75,000 CPU cores, and 112.5 terabytes of blade RAM.
    • The Blizzard network is managed by a staff of 68 people.
    • The company’s gaming infrastructure is monitored from a global network operating center (GNOC), which like many NOCs, features televisions tuned to the weather stations to track potential uptime threats across its data center footprint.

Nepheth
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Look, I like to rag on Blizzard as much as the next guy, but seriously? You are upset about the maintenance that they list in the bnet browser days before they do it? The ego it takes to think you know more about the situation than they do is just....fucking baffling.
    Avarix

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Forgrimm said:
    So Blizz games are the only ones that ever have queues, lag, or maintenance? Are you new to the genre, or just trolling?
    I think he's talking about the fact that this sorta thing never happens to Blizzard.  More then likely they are replacing shards or condensing things that they normally don't do.  It could be one of a thousand different things but something that should go away soon because its Blizzard and they don't just let their games fall into gutter like that.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Forgrimm said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Naw, it's over an entirely different topic. We all know lag and server queues, which may not even be related in this case, are necessary evils due to thier very online nature.
  • zamocnyzamocny Member CommonPosts: 7
    IF you feel like you could do it better, why don't you try?

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Are you for real?
    Avarix