Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for New MMO

2»

Comments

• Cody_RauhCody_Rauh Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Yes if you look at my requirements...

not looking for a solo game, looking for an MMO, not solo skyrim with mods, or stardew valley, both which are very fun, but really looking for an MMO as stated in the title.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    DDO has action(ish) combat, few abilities (unless you play a monk or caster and load up on the combo icons or spell icons).  DDO has, in my opinion, hands down the best character progression out there.  They have plenty of races, and outfits for those races, crafting, the full shebang.

The only negative in my opinion is there are tons of benefits for joining a guild, making it more or less mandatory if you want to be as successful as you can be.

I disliked this game a lot when it first came out, but tried it a couple years ago with the expansions and just got sucked into it.  I can't play a game for more than a month or so before I get bored and move on (if that, I usually last only a week or two, often only a couple hours), but I played DDO for 3 months straight, took a couple months off and then played for another couple months, rinse repeat, which is something I never do due to losing interest.

The combat is free look but also has target assist and tab targeting. 
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Didn't they redo Darkfall (again) or split it into two versions? That may be an option as it has full loot and meets some of the requirements.

As kind of a side note, when. Talking about character customization I wish there were some MMORPGs that followed NWN2 persistent servers!
    Sid_Vicious
  • noodles6966noodles6966 Member UncommonPosts: 63
    I think Project Gorgon is the closest to what you want
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    With this criteria the OP doesn't need an MMO, he already lives in a fantasy world.
    With this criteria the OP doesn't need an MMO, he already lives in a fantasy world.

Honestly mate you can get bent.

Just cause you have trouble envisioning a mmo that allows for solo play, doesnt mean I need your piss poor insults when neither of us know each other.

The real world isnt 100% social 100% of the time, and guess what it also has real people in it too!

So apply your imagination towards a more positive response or as stated before... you can get bent.
    I think Project Gorgon is the closest to what you want
    I tried it, it has a good feel but really lacks the graphic quality I am looking for. 
    Aelious said:
    Didn't they redo Darkfall (again) or split it into two versions? That may be an option as it has full loot and meets some of the requirements.

As kind of a side note, when. Talking about character customization I wish there were some MMORPGs that followed NWN2 persistent servers!
    Darkfall used to be good at one time but they change their game / project like a regular person changes their underwear.

I enjoyed it for a while but has some really bad exploiting, skill bot grind, etc etc. 
    Cody_Rauh said:
    Aelious said:

Darkfall used to be good at one time but they change their game / project like a regular person changes their underwear.

I enjoyed it for a while but has some really bad exploiting, skill bot grind, etc etc. 

Ah, okay. They may have addressed this but I'm not sure. From what I recall it was done by someone other than Aventurine. I really hope you find what you're looking for. There is a growing population of MMO players that are in limbo atm regarding an MMO home.
    Aelious said:
    Cody_Rauh said:
    Aelious said:

Ah, okay. They may have addressed this but I'm not sure. From what I recall it was done by someone other than Aventurine. I really hope you find what you're looking for. There is a growing population of MMO players that are in limbo atm regarding an MMO home.
    Yeah I tried darkfall during some of the open betas and whatever free trial times but it felt like the same broken mess. I think honestly just the older I get the pickier I n  how I spend my time, and I think that goes for many of us.

I think 16 years later we are wanting to see something new and refreshing, companies try it, but nothing really seems to top the old classics, which is sad, cause computers are faster, internet is faster, yet same old boring game play mechanics lol.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I see a lot of people recommending BDO, I am the only one that considers it to have horrible character customization? If you can tell what class you are when you are naked that's pretty limited customization. I don't think there would be a good armour option for the rags look either, maybe the negligee on a male? XD
    Cody_Rauh said:
    Aelious said:
    Cody_Rauh said:
    Aelious said:

Yeah I tried darkfall during some of the open betas and whatever free trial times but it felt like the same broken mess. I think honestly just the older I get the pickier I n  how I spend my time, and I think that goes for many of us.

I think 16 years later we are wanting to see something new and refreshing, companies try it, but nothing really seems to top the old classics, which is sad, cause computers are faster, internet is faster, yet same old boring game play mechanics lol.

Well if you want to try something new, I may do it myself, getting NWN2 and playing on a persistent world seems worth the 30.00. The character creation alone is worth playing with. For instance I've always wanted to play a Medium armored, Paladin-like character that DW swords and has some healing/support skills for a group. This can be more than done in NWN2, it's crazy. The catch is that servers cap at 96 I think.

http://www.nwnlist.com/#

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited January 2017
    I see a lot of people recommending BDO, I am the only one that considers it to have horrible character customization? If you can tell what class you are when you are naked that's pretty limited customization. I don't think there would be a good armour option for the rags look either, maybe the negligee on a male? XD
    we are only recommending BDO because it's the only decent mmo out right now besides ESO, that kind of fits his list.

the physical character customization (face/body) is actually very detailed.
    the gear customization is horrible, but only because they want you to spend money to get costumes from the cash shop. the gear you get ingame looks like absolute shit, even at top levels, and everyone looks exactly the same. however, the costumes that you can buy (now even with ingame gold) are pretty incredible. there are some very very good looking sets. some of the best looking armor i've ever seen in any game. but that's all just eye candy of course.
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Have you ever tried Wurm Online?  It may not appeal to you visually if you tend to focus on or notice character models more than structures, trees, or other objects, but it's a real sandbox.  I've done nothing more than dabble in it, myself.  It sounds like you're looking for total freedom, and sadly, we can only get that these days from lower budget studios or indie companies.  It's a shame SWG isn't still around.  Before Jedi started its downhill slide, it had most of what you're looking for.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2017
    Seriously none exist and over the last 10 years we are getting bigger landscapes but smaller games.

There are only a few games that have any kind of housing,so that narrows your choice down to about 3-4.
    Then if we grab the whole package and add in graphics,the ONLY game left standing is FFXIV.
    I am not personally playing FFXIV,i quit around level 50-60 about 18 months ago ,however to the average gamer it is the best game on the market.

Since nothing meets all my criteria,i tend to aim for single type gimmick games just for some quick gaming but nothing long haul.So i might play Duelyst or Hearthstone for a couple weeks,then i;'ll play FFXI for a couple weeks,then i'll play some older games like Langrisser or Diablo,then i might play some Sorcerer King or AOEmpires, spend a couple weeks just trying new stuff to see what is out there.

Point being there is nothing good enough to want to play everyday for more than a week or two.Games are just VERY shallow and why since forever ,so many people have mentioned stuff like game>graphics because nobody puts the whole package together.

The SAD reality is that these developers,the big boys are making a boat load of money but since none of them are pushing each other,they just give us the  bare minimum effort.We need the industry leaders to push the market forward so the rest must follow but Blizzard and Square are sort of stagnant with SE being ahead a bit.
    VengeSunsoar

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Hey mate. Love what you done with the list. But such game does not exist. In today's world, you gotta learn how to love the little things, there ain't no perfect package out there. 

Doing so, you either gotta drop the no Korean rule and hop on to BDO or AA. Or the no early-access rule. Not as in buy into a dream, but find an almost playable game and enjoy the little things.

I'm curious what you'll end up playing . Update your post please. :)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    I appreciate all the feedback.

All this gave me a lot to think about. I think some very good points were listed.

1. I have too specific of tasks, I know exactly what I want, and I haven't been able to find it.
    Cause we are talking about my time and how I use that time, and it is important to me.

2. It isn't looking like what I want will exist for a very long time if ever. I am not the only one in this boat,
    which makes sense given how much we invest in time and money into these games for a lot of promises.

Yesterday was eye opening, when I was replying to the troll in the thread, bout how unrealistic my expectations were. I felt they were pretty realistic as they were similar to what real life offers in some aspects.

Then it was like... poof* mind blown... my relationship with games has been like being married to someone you don't really love. Yeah there is some good and bad, but it is largely not worth keeping anymore.

Last night I uninstalled steam, and all my games. I don't think I will probably be playing games anymore.
    Really unfortunate as I either spend my time working in the industry of indie game development or its cousin online vr learning.

I look over my hours in the last 11 years, and I have spent approximately 25% of my life gaming! Roughly
    24,000 hours'ish. That really blew my mind. wondering what else I could have done with nearly 24,000 hours.

If you went by the 10k hour rule of skill mastery I could have really learned a couple cool things at an expert level by now.

I know many people who play games cause they are unhappy with their real life. Yet I feel if we spent as much time working as hard as we do in a game, on our lives, maybe life would be our game, and we would be really good at it.

Don't get me wrong I have a good life, but I can't help but think it would be even better if I were to drop my gaming hobby.

So I am going to give it a whirl and see how it works out, if it doesn't who knows maybe by the time I come back, if I ever come back they will finally have the game I want. If not, then I won't regret the hours I have invested in my life, as I have some of the games I have played, lol. 
    Allerleirauh
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Cody_Rauh said:
    I appreciate all the feedback.

All this gave me a lot to think about. I think some very good points were listed.

1. I have too specific of tasks, I know exactly what I want, and I haven't been able to find it.
    Cause we are talking about my time and how I use that time, and it is important to me.

2. It isn't looking like what I want will exist for a very long time if ever. I am not the only one in this boat,
    which makes sense given how much we invest in time and money into these games for a lot of promises.

Yesterday was eye opening, when I was replying to the troll in the thread, bout how unrealistic my expectations were. I felt they were pretty realistic as they were similar to what real life offers in some aspects.

Then it was like... poof* mind blown... my relationship with games has been like being married to someone you don't really love. Yeah there is some good and bad, but it is largely not worth keeping anymore.

Last night I uninstalled steam, and all my games. I don't think I will probably be playing games anymore.
    Really unfortunate as I either spend my time working in the industry of indie game development or its cousin online vr learning.

I look over my hours in the last 11 years, and I have spent approximately 25% of my life gaming! Roughly
    24,000 hours'ish. That really blew my mind. wondering what else I could have done with nearly 24,000 hours.

If you went by the 10k hour rule of skill mastery I could have really learned a couple cool things at an expert level by now.

I know many people who play games cause they are unhappy with their real life. Yet I feel if we spent as much time working as hard as we do in a game, on our lives, maybe life would be our game, and we would be really good at it.

Don't get me wrong I have a good life, but I can't help but think it would be even better if I were to drop my gaming hobby.

So I am going to give it a whirl and see how it works out, if it doesn't who knows maybe by the time I come back, if I ever come back they will finally have the game I want. If not, then I won't regret the hours I have invested in my life, as I have some of the games I have played, lol. 
    I feel your pain bud.

Welcome to the burn out. Happens to the best of us.
  • RedddddReddddd Member CommonPosts: 1
    I think the game you are looking for is bdo, it has almost all of those things
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I think you should give ESO a try
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    If Conan Exiles had a huge server it would fit your bill perfectly but it has player servers but otherwise it fits your bill. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Cody_Rauh said:
    To give you an idea of what type of player I am.

I would run around in skyrim, with invisibility, dagger and bow, the original rags and shakels you were given with.
    I would spend time gathering herbs for brewing potions. I was very minimalist. My character was a 60 year old,
    frail looking but agile hermit.

A rather unremarkable, unimportant, explorer and observer.

That's how my buddy plays skyrim though he doesn't use invisibility (just sneak) and he plays Khajits. And he wears a chef's hat.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I am enjoying Darkfall New Dawn right now... been having lots of fun.

I am looking forward to the release of Conan Exiles (which is also a sandbox) may 8th. Its a pretty fun game as well or at least will be for a couple months.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA