Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Solved) Windows-10 throttling my bandwidth?

TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
edited January 2017 in Hardware
I just built a new computer with the following parts:

CPU - Intel 6700k overclocked to 4.8
RAM - 32gigs GSkill
Video - 1080 GTX
MoBo - ASUS Mamimus VIII Hero
Storage - Dual 500gig SSD's in a RAID-0

The computer runs great and tests in the top 5% on 3D Marks but I have lag in online games that I never had before.  I currently pay for a 50-down/5-up pipe through TWC.  I have my PC and 2 others in a spare bedroom so I can play with my kids and monitor what they are doing online.

Both my kids computers test at a solid 70Mb download speed and the graph is a perfect straight line.  They are running Windows-7 and Windows-8.1.  I had issues with TWC about a year ago and eventually got to speak to a guy in their NOC.  Being a network engineer myself, we talked for quite a bit about things and I believe the extra 20Mb speed I am getting was his way of saying I was cool.  I could be wrong and frequently am...

My new PC only gets as high as 32Mb download and the graph looks like a mountain range.  I changed ports on the router, I have changed cables to the router and nothing changes.  I have plugged my sons PC into my router port and he still gets a solid 70Mb, I switch network cables with him and he still gets his solid 70mb.  The issue is most definitely NOT my ISP, router or cable.  It has to be the NIC or some software doing this.

I disabled the NIC and plugged in a PCIe nic card and I still get the 32Mb speed with peaks and valleys on the graph.  This seems to narrow my issue to software. 
I have avast and malwarebytes, both disabled
I have exited MS one drive
I do not have windows-10 p2p sharing turned on
I do not have windows update turned on

The only things I have running in the background are Nvidia GForce Experience, RealTek Audio Manager, Intel Rapidstore Technology and my wifes fitbit crap.  I had all these things on my old PC and never had this issue. 

When I google it, I just get the "turn off P2P sharing", "disable windows firewall" or "disable windows updates" but I have done that and nothing changed.  I'm a router guy, if this was an ISP issue or a router issue, I would be all over it but sadly I have not kept up on the desktop stuff and this is my first install of Windows-10.

For the first time in over 10 years, I am at a loss.  If I can not find a solution I plan to just wipe it and load windows-7.

Anyone have any ideas?
"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Post edited by Talonsin on

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'll assume you went down the list of running services, and disabled everything not needed as well as Cortana, inking and all the other trackers phoning home.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    just a thought, but try Housecall, virus check your system, its probably not the problem, but worth ruling out of the equation.
    also checking that your ethernet card is set for throughput just to be sure. :o
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    download network traffic monitor and see whats sucking up your bandwidth?

• G3NexisG3Nexis Member UncommonPosts: 85
    edited January 2017
    Have you tried running straight from your modem to your PC bypassing the router completely? Most likely will need to reboot the modem / PC when you do this to get things working again. Maybe your Routers firmware doesn't like Win 7. Obviously if you have a Modem / Router combo this may not work.

Also is going wireless on your desktop an option? I personally have never built a desktop to run wireless but worth a shot if you have the capability?

I get a solid 170Mbps down / 20Mbps up with windows 10. The only thing I did to the OS is set the power options to Highest Performance. Made no other modifications that I can recall.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Just do a Google search for "Optimising Windows 10" and you will find loads of sites telling you how. By default, there are many potentially unwanted things running in the background, wasting resources. They didn't use to exist in earlier versions of Windows, so you may not be aware of them. You probably want to get rid of Cortana and One Drive for a start. Spend thirty minutes disabling them all and you will probably find a big improvement.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Just some extra info

I have cortana and windows update disabled
    I have an Arris cable modem/router as a single device so I can not skip the router. 
    Wireless is not an option
    I changed my power setting to high performance but that did nothing

Here is my PC being tested

Here is what both my kids PC test at

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited January 2017

I'm way out of my knowledge but most of the articles I've seen about Win 10 network connection issues usually mention resetting the Winsock TCP/IP stack.  This article is oriented slightly more to a knowledgeable person than most of the fluff pieces.

http://www.sysprobs.com/fixed-windows-10-limited-connectivity-not-getting-ip-from-dhcp

"...If it shows as limited connectivity, mostly the network adapter would not have got an IP from the DHCP. If only one particular PC is facing this issue on your network/home, then obviously nothing wrong with the network setup or DHCP server, its the problem on your Windows 10 laptop or desktop. When I recently faced this similar problem randomly on a Windows 10 and another Windows 8.1 laptop, the following steps helped me to solve the issue."

Also when you had issues before did you make any non-default packet changes to the older PCs?
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Bad net card? Never seen anything like it on my Win 10 PC's.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Method 2. Adjust the Internet Bandwidth Settings

Since windows 10, by default, reserves 20% of the internet bandwidth for the system applications and its operating system, you can’t browse or surf on the internet with 100% internet connection. This solution speeds up the dropping internet speed by trimming down the bandwidth which is reserved for Windows 10 AU and system applications. Follow the step-by-step guide to tackle slow internet after Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

1. Press Windows shortcut keys Win + R to open Run dialog box.

2. Type gpedit.msc and then hit OK.

3. Give permissions. A pop-up window will open with title of Group Policy.

4. Click on Computer Configuration on the right side of the window.

5. Navigate to: Administrative Templates -> Network – > Qos Packet Scheduler – > Limit reservable bandwidth.

6. Click on Enable.

7. Change the Value from 20 to 0.

8. Apply and then click OK.

But that reserved bandwidth is only reserved when Quality of Service (QoS) applications are actually doing anything.  It does not limit your use to 80% all of the time.  
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    OMG, I have never been a fan of 3rd party TCP utilities but being desperate, I went to Speedguide and downloaded their TCP Optimizer.  It made about 18 changes in the registry but sadly it went too fast and I did not get a screenshot of it.  It frickin worked!  I am now getting my 70Mb down speeds.

I would never have believed that program would have worked and if I had not tried just about everything else, I would never have even downloaded it.

MisterZebub, nice find.  I will do that too just in case

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    This may sound silly but change your network cable from router to PC.

I alpha tested 10 from 6 weeks after 8.1 released.  And 10 improves EVERYTHING.  When I got the alpha download, after testing it for a week it went on every computer in the house, 7 PCs altogether.  If there is a problem with your connection, it could be security software, or a program is sucking up your bandwidth.  I find it hard to believe a virus is the problem on a brand spanking new build, but it is possible.

I would check the cable first, and if that does not fix it then see if your security software is maintaining a constant connection with the security server (Norton is infamous for this) that is monitoring your downloads.  Safer?  Yes.  Slows the shit out of your system?  Yes again.  Finally I would check your apps.  MS ASSUMES that you want a lot of apps that are IMO junk.  uninstall them and see if that works. 

If you are still having problems, consider a soft wipe.  You don't even need a disc to do that.  Start/ Settings/ Update and Security/ Recovery/ Reset this PC.  You can do a hard wipe too, which hard formats the drive, but that takes several hours.   The soft reinstall does a fast format, or no format if you want to keep your apps and data.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Did you disable P2P updates in Win10? I think it's on by default.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Win 10 out of the box should not have any issues where it dips bandwidth like it's checking a packet. It has a conflict with some software or the NIC is faulty. Could also be a bad Ethernet cord. Software issues may be your antivirus, time warners backend, or okla. I would eliminate these as issues first.
    Issue is solved!  Go up and check out my last post

Gladdog, did this already and mentioned in the OP.  I switched the cabled between my PC and my sons but it had no effect

Postlarval - Did that already

Cleffy - I dont know if the settings came from windows or the MoBo software but it is fixed now

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I would download the latest network card drivers, uninstall your current drivers and reinstall with the new drivers you just downloaded. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Cleffy said:
    Win 10 out of the box should not have any issues where it dips bandwidth like it's checking a packet. It has a conflict with some software or the NIC is faulty. Could also be a bad Ethernet cord. Software issues may be your antivirus, time warners backend, or okla. I would eliminate these as issues first.
    he already sorted it, looks like it was a registry issue.
    Still, having to use 3rd party software to fix Win10 configuration faults isn't exactly a great solution to things, even though it seems to be necessary.
    Personally i will be making a note of that particular fix in my 'paper brain' (Diary!) never know when that kind of issue will pop up, and not having to search the internet for a fix saves time and certain amount of stress. ;)
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Talonsin said:
    OMG, I have never been a fan of 3rd party TCP utilities but being desperate, I went to Speedguide and downloaded their TCP Optimizer.  It made about 18 changes in the registry but sadly it went too fast and I did not get a screenshot of it.  It frickin worked!  I am now getting my 70Mb down speeds.

I would never have believed that program would have worked and if I had not tried just about everything else, I would never have even downloaded it.

Bro now you got me I'm gonna download that and apply it to all my pc's.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited January 2017
    Ok so this is before I used that program.

This is after.

Didn't seem to do anything for me but I don't have much bandwidth anyways.  One thing that I did notice is my jitter went from 35ms to 2ms.  

And my average went from 54 down to 37.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Making a bookmark of this.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Have ISP check your junction box and their equipment out at the street.  We were having similar problems and turns out it was the junction box out at the street that was our issue. They replaced a pinched cable and a couple of other things.  Now it works like it is suppose to.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Imma try this, my ISP sucks, but this certainly can't hurt. Thanks for updating
    but but but,,,  windows 10 would never do anything strange now would it.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited January 2017
    Talonsin said:
    I just built a new computer with the following parts:

CPU - Intel 6700k overclocked to 4.8
    RAM - 32gigs GSkill
    Video - 1080 GTX
    MoBo - ASUS Mamimus VIII Hero
    Storage - Dual 500gig SSD's in a RAID-0

The computer runs great and tests in the top 5% on 3D Marks but I have lag in online games that I never had before.  I currently pay for a 50-down/5-up pipe through TWC.  I have my PC and 2 others in a spare bedroom so I can play with my kids and monitor what they are doing online.

Both my kids computers test at a solid 70Mb download speed and the graph is a perfect straight line.  They are running Windows-7 and Windows-8.1.  I had issues with TWC about a year ago and eventually got to speak to a guy in their NOC.  Being a network engineer myself, we talked for quite a bit about things and I believe the extra 20Mb speed I am getting was his way of saying I was cool.  I could be wrong and frequently am...

My new PC only gets as high as 32Mb download and the graph looks like a mountain range.  I changed ports on the router, I have changed cables to the router and nothing changes.  I have plugged my sons PC into my router port and he still gets a solid 70Mb, I switch network cables with him and he still gets his solid 70mb.  The issue is most definitely NOT my ISP, router or cable.  It has to be the NIC or some software doing this.

I disabled the NIC and plugged in a PCIe nic card and I still get the 32Mb speed with peaks and valleys on the graph.  This seems to narrow my issue to software. 
    I have avast and malwarebytes, both disabled
    I have exited MS one drive
    I do not have windows-10 p2p sharing turned on
    I do not have windows update turned on

The only things I have running in the background are Nvidia GForce Experience, RealTek Audio Manager, Intel Rapidstore Technology and my wifes fitbit crap.  I had all these things on my old PC and never had this issue. 

When I google it, I just get the "turn off P2P sharing", "disable windows firewall" or "disable windows updates" but I have done that and nothing changed.  I'm a router guy, if this was an ISP issue or a router issue, I would be all over it but sadly I have not kept up on the desktop stuff and this is my first install of Windows-10.

For the first time in over 10 years, I am at a loss.  If I can not find a solution I plan to just wipe it and load windows-7.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Did you install the "Game Boost Software" If so you might want to disable this in the services set it to manual otherwise its known to cause bandwidth problems especially with this board.

Its on the CD that comes with the ROG Boards, you could also just uninstall that.

Also on that specific board make sure to go into EUFI and update the Board to accept XMP if running DDR4 3600, and update the EUFI / BIOS  from default as it is buggy.
    Post edited by Renoaku on
  • f33d13ackf33d13ack Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Talonsin said:

I just registered an account to say Thank You!  I was beyond frustration and at a complete loss.  I had already combed through so many forums and discussions, rephrased my search terminology, everything and anything I could think of to find the solution to this problem.  Hours wasted, save a little more knowledge gained, but without any progress.  Honestly, after finding this method, I expected to be yet again disappointed.  My desperation was wearing thin and I was not looking forward to resetting my PC.  I have a gigabit connection, and my normal speeds were 450Mbps, that of my ISP service.  At some point, I noticed I was only getting 100-150Mbps.  This also impacted my transfer speeds to my Synology and anything else connected to my network.  I was so surprised when I saw this fixed the issue.  I am so F*ing happy this worked!!  Absolute relief is all I can amount it to.  So again, and I cannot express this enough, Thank You!!!  It never even crossed my mind to try an optimizer as I probably haven't used one in over 15 years. 

I hope anyone with similar issues finds this discussion and tries this solution.  Even if it doesn't work for them, it's definitely worth a shot.

Lee
  • endlesszealendlesszeal Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    holy crap! i just registered to thank you OP!

When I bought my ASUS laptop, I never noticed anything with my internet speeds. I would get around ~20 Mbps and my provider, was at 30. Then they bumped it up to 50 megs for free and I would still get ~20. My other computers would get around ~40-45. Since my laptop wasnt my main, it didnt bother me too much. Then my provider pumped up to 100 megs and I noticed big time. My desktop got parted out and I became busy and started using my laptop more. Then I started to do some digging.

ASUS G752 with Intel 7265 NIC, quad-core 6700k with hyper threading, 32GB of RAM and GTX965m. So its not a cheap nor entry laptop. I tried everything; resetting TCP, flushing DNS, etc etc trying everything. I even fresh re-installed Windows 10. Nothing seemed to work.

Roughly 2 years after owning the laptop, i figured it was time to disassemble, clean and repaste heatsinks. While at it, I decided to replace the NIC with Intel's more recent Wifi chipset, Intel 9260 AC 2x2 dual band. I almost went with the AX200 but not too much users exp at the moment. 

Status post replacing the NIC, still only 20 mbps out of 100 mbps. Now im super frustrated, and realized something so elementary, try internet speed on the LAN. Today, i tried plugging it via the gigabit LAN. Sadly, no dice. Still only getting 20 and not even coming close to what my other devices are able to reach. Now for sure I know its a windows setting. I stumbled on this site and man that TCP optimizer worked!!! Now im getting 100+ 

It was really frustrating. When I did speedtest and google M-lab tests, I would get 20 megs. If i tested on speakeasy, torrent or spectrum, i would get 60-70 megs. However, when I downloaded with any browser, I would only pull the 20. Downloading with IIRC was even more annoying, it capped at 3 megs.  

Im super excited and thank you OP!

My setup to isolate the problem
    Router= Netgear Orbi RBK50 
    Laptop= ASUS G752 
    Other Devices= Iphone 6s, Ipad Pro 10, Nvidia Shield, Samsung Q6 QLED TV

Anyway, persons with exp similar to mine please try. I even tried uninstalling everything ASUS pre-installed on my Windows 10 version. Nothing worked. Im truly and pleased.

Now waiting for Coffee Lake or get Zen 2 =)