Favorite game for grinding

Comments

• kitaradkitarad RomeMember EpicPosts: 3,623
    GladDog said:
    SURPRISE!  To no one that reads my posts!  CoH was my all time favorite grinding game.  I could go for hours.  I'd invite random new players to a team and help them get 7-8 levels in a half hour.

Some of my favorite stories are from grinding in CoH. 

I took my invul tanker into Perez Park, pulled 110 bad guys (the maximum possible) and then called newbs to take em out.  Taunt cast an unbreakable agro at the time, and since I was 20 levels above the bad guys they never broke away.  As they swung helplessly at me (defense and damage resistance all at 90%, and the rare time I was hit it was only 2-3 points) I laughed and laughed as the newbs leveled like popcorn on the stove.

I was using my Fire/Energy  melee tank in a mission helping some friends level.  I had to be careful though, my big hitter power drew health when I used it, per enemy hit.  Not a huge deal for a single target strike, but at that time it was bugged and struck with a narrow cone.  I gathered about 70 +2 Freakshow and got em stuck behind a dumpster, and that target was so damn tempting... So I used Energy Transfer, and killed like 55 of them in one hit!  I died too, of course,  What was funny was that when I rezzed, I had no XP debt!  The health is taken, you die, and then you swing.  So all of that XP debt was also eliminated in one blow!

I laughed so hard that I had to do it again!  And I did!
    I loved that tale but I recall people saying avoid PP calls for good and fast experience as people would summon you into hordes of mobs and left you to die it was a common douchebag move then.

• nerovergilnerovergil klMember UncommonPosts: 631
    What fun in grinding is watching your toon fighting mobs with special skills

Thats why i love GW2 combat. Compared to archeage, u need to spam and continuously press 1 to trigger special attack, while gw2 all the things special attack was auto attack. GW2 has 3 different normal attack animation.

This is where MMORPG is different with other fps game. FPS required you actually to do everything, while mmorpg depends on your toon, you just tell them who to kill. It is relaxing just to watch your toon do cool animations.

If u play ragnarok online, with assassin class, u need to spam sonic blow skills to kill mobs faster, it is depends on your mana (sp). I hope future dev can assign auto attack on special skills too, so after cast delay, it will auto trigger (depends on mana)
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 22,892
    edited January 27
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:
    OK, let say there is a game without grind. I know it is hard to imagine, but in fact with the modern cloud technologies it is completely possible. Would you play such a game - where the quests and the mobs are... well, not unique exactly, but not repetitive for sure.
    Well, "engaging is engaging".

So replacing grinding mobs with quests and different types of mob encounters is just swapping out one type of "engaging" content for another.

Personally the quests would have to be "real quests". There are very few of these in these games as they are mostly "jobs" or busy work.

Running some place to collect 4 of something or kill 3 of something is not really a quest.
    It seems you even cannot imagine a game without grind. I'm curious is the grind a customers demand or a marketing policy - it is easier and cheaper for the developers for sure. Let say there is a game where the repetitive actions are significantly reduced. After you slay a mob, you cannot slay it again. After you make a quest, it is done. No dailies, everything is adaptive, everything is changing, you really affect the world with your decisions and actions, and also the other players. The risk is much higher as every experience is unique. So would you prefer such a game or the games that exist now, with a lot of grind.
    No, it's you who can't imagine that "grinding" can be enjoyable.

A game without grind? Well that's subjective isn't it? I would never say an Elder Scrolls single player game has grind. But I've seen players report that they "grind" in order to make their skills better (which I think is ridiculous but "whatever").

Truth is, it bothers you and it bothers you that people enjoy it. you are not willing to take people's explanations at face value as it doesn't fit into your gaming world view.

Replace the word "grind" with "enjoyable fun pastime". Non-stop fighting of mobs is an apt description.

I've seen people call World of Warcraft a grinding. Grinding quests, grinding end game instances.

Is Doom a grind? You are essentially fighting a narrow range of mobs over and over again. I wouldn't say it was.

Any repetition of content might be  considered "unwanted grind" by a player if they don't enjoy it.

First, I understand how it could be enjoyable. As every player I did some grind, and in few cases like some instances in L2 I even enjoyed it. Well they were challenging places like the monastery, so I have to admit I'm not a grind man. But the grind is a standard in the most games. And I'm curious why? Because of the players or because of the industry.

Second you simply avoid the question. I'm asking what you will prefer, a game with or without repetitive actions? You answer I have to enjoy the grind. So I do not understand do you deny a game without grind is possible, or you insist the games with grind are better?

I didn't avoid the question I answered it. There is no preference for repetitive or non-repetitive actions.

Though, s I've already said ALL GAMES HAVE SOME REPETITION. Doom has repetition, Dragon Age has repetition of quests/dialogue choices, etc.

It's just different activities. To put it in better perspective, Lord of the Rings Online is a quest game but I find I forgo most quests, find myself a good orc barracks, fort, whatever and slaughter all. But then, I attribute a small backstory/reason to do this stuff.
    Post edited by Sovrath on

• MendelMendel Marietta, GAMember RarePosts: 1,810
    I think that there has to be something beyond the actual combat mechanics for me to enjoy grinding.  A goal like LotRO's deeds is my current favorite.   And the enjoyment varies wildly, heavily dependent on level and opponents.  I might have enjoyed farming bandit sashes in EQ1 (in 2002), but I try to find new ways to level characters when I start another alt.  Generally, if the RNG is involved (loot, mats, etc.), I find it less satisfactory than a simple quest / deed (kill x).

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ikcinikcin AmberMember UncommonPosts: 880
    Sovrath said:
    I didn't avoid the question I answered it. There is no preference for repetitive or non-repetitive actions.

Though, s I've already said ALL GAMES HAVE SOME REPETITION. Doom has repetition, Dragon Age has repetition of quests/dialogue choices, etc.

It's just different activities. To put it in better perspective, Lord of the Rings Online is a quest game but I find I forgo most quests, find myself a good orc barracks, fort, whatever and slaughter all. But then, I attribute a small backstory/reason to do this stuff.

So you just deny a game without grind is possible, because you never played such. To put that in different perspective - let say, such a game is actually possible, will you play it or stay with the old games.

• Cybersig211Cybersig211 chicago, ILMember UncommonPosts: 73
    I liked GW2 for its open map entertainment...really enjoyed just clearing content and enjoying the scenery...however GW2 quickly becomes shallow...your just doing stuff to do stuff and eventually that stuff gets stale.

FFXIV was fantastic but i got tired of the "stare at your hotbars" combat...game could have been a blank screen with stick figures i wouldn't know...especially for raids.

For grinding i go for a game genre where grinding is the name of the game and its totally centered around it, ARPG games like D3 or POE.  You just want to farm for good gear right? so why not do it in a game designed specifically for that?  They do it best tbh.

Also warhammer vermintide was a really fun melee based co-op game with RNG gear hunting...if thats your thing.

i dont think any mmorpg does farming/grinding well...no one makes their game difficult to level up in anymore, gear is handed to you for showing up....mmorpgs have all but removed character building....your just there for scenery and difficult raid content tbh...even the pvp...it doesnt matter and is shallow..though fun as a mini game.
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:

So you just deny a game without grind is possible, because you never played such. To put that in different perspective - let say, such a game is actually possible, will you play it or stay with the old games.

Well, as I've said, grind is in the eye of the beholder. So if you think it's a grind "its' a grind". If you enjoy what you are doing "it's not a grind.

And again, (and I don't know why this is hard but I suspect ...) I would play any game I thought good.

So let's for argument's sake say a game was possible without repetitive content (now you need to show what you mean because I could play devil's advocate and say that anything has repetition, repetition of quests, combat, etc) If it was good, I'd play it. and then I'd also go back to the old games as well and I'd go from one to the other because I would find them all fun.

Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:

Well, as I've said, grind is in the eye of the beholder. So if you think it's a grind "its' a grind". If you enjoy what you are doing "it's not a grind.

And again, (and I don't know why this is hard but I suspect ...) I would play any game I thought good.

So let's for argument's sake say a game was possible without repetitive content (now you need to show what you mean because I could play devil's advocate and say that anything has repetition, repetition of quests, combat, etc) If it was good, I'd play it. and then I'd also go back to the old games as well and I'd go from one to the other because I would find them all fun.
    Let also assume your time is limited, so you have to choose :) I agree the grind cannot be removed entirely, but it could be significantly reduced with the modern technologies.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 7,755
    Revelation for me atm. 

Age of Wushu 2 is a sandbox innovative triple A game built with Unreal Engine 4 that will be launched in 2018. It is based on "real martial art" concepts with naturalistic and societal survival elements. With grand scenes of the world, highly appealing picture atmosphere, rich details such as vegetation , architecture, characters and other real delicate texture performance, it is a combination of high-quality visual effects, bringing an user-level sensory experience. Whether it is physical destruction of the scene, or based on the true performance of IK technology in movement and combat, Age of Wushu 2 brings a whole evolution of gaming experience.
    http://9yin2.woniu.com/
  • AsheramAsheram Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Mount & Blade Warband multiplayer 

ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:

Let also assume your time is limited, so you have to choose :) I agree the grind cannot be removed entirely, but it could be significantly reduced with the modern technologies.
    Wow. you're really looking for an answer where there is no answer to fit your box. Ok fine, the grind game.

That's not true as you could easily be asking whether I play an fps game or a rpg game. But since you want an answer there it is.

In truth I do have limited time and Black Desert, a grind game is pretty much the only mmo I'm playing. Waiting to see what they do to Lord of the Rings.

• heliothhelioth BerlinMember UncommonPosts: 53
    black desert is pretty good if you like grinding games... path of exile made by "grinding gear games" is not bad, but entirely different too.

warframe, good choice, wow, hmm, what else, dragon nest... umm, waiting for ashes of creation, checking out archeage right now.
    helioth said:
    black desert is pretty good if you like grinding games... path of exile made by "grinding gear games" is not bad, but entirely different too.

warframe, good choice, wow, hmm, what else, dragon nest... umm, waiting for ashes of creation, checking out archeage right now.
    The nice thing about archeage is that if you have a quest to kill x of something you can stay, up the count and get a bonus. To that end, if I remember correctly, you can kill less and just get less xp.

• mikunimanmikuniman NYMember UncommonPosts: 373
    edited January 29
    For a fun grind I like Marvel Heroes for feeling heroic and the loot. For a rewarding combat grind Tera. The timing for combos and an actual real dodge mechanic & BAMs to test your mettle. BDO for a productive grind for progression.
    Post edited by mikuniman on
    Torval
  • NycteliosNyctelios Novo Hamburgo - RS - BrazilMember EpicPosts: 2,248
    ikcin said:
    OK, let say there is a game without grind. I know it is hard to imagine, but in fact with the modern cloud technologies it is completely possible. Would you play such a game - where the quests and the mobs are... well, not unique exactly, but not repetitive for sure.
    There are plenty of games (non-MMO) that focus solely on single challenging fights instead of series of meaningless grind fights.

Furi, for example.

http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/423230/

Some games like Gw2 in which events are boss battles with a high challenge rate in a single fight instead of small meaningless mobs.

There are games like that out there, but we are talking about something that doesn't appeal to masses: Challenge.

" Tawnos's blueprints were critical to the creation of my armor. As he once sealed himself in steel, I sealed myself in a walking crypt. "
    —Urza

- Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnMember RarePosts: 4,069
    edited January 30
    Vermintide for sure. Although I'd enjoy a bit less RNG honestly.
    Post edited by Gorwe on
    Nyctelios said:
    ikcin said:
    There are plenty of games (non-MMO) that focus solely on single challenging fights instead of series of meaningless grind fights.

Furi, for example.

Some games like Gw2 in which events are boss battles with a high challenge rate in a single fight instead of small meaningless mobs.

There are games like that out there, but we are talking about something that doesn't appeal to masses: Challenge.
    Sorry, but honestly there is not such a thing like a challenging singleplayer game. Everyone who says the opposite would be simply delusional. As for the MMOs, the challenges are the team work and the PvP. GW2 is a complete joke in both. FFXIV is a good PvE MMO, maybe the only one. But as it is instanced and lacks PvP the whole experience is let say unfinished to avoid the word meaningless.  

• ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,552
    ikcin said:
    Nyctelios said:
    ikcin said:

Furi, for example.

Sorry, but honestly there is not such a thing like a challenging singleplayer game...
    Dark Souls would like to have a word with you.
    Sovrath
    edited February 1
    Nyctelios said:
    ikcin said:

Furi, for example.

I've heard otherwise about Guild Wars 2 in that it was pretty much a dps fight for these boss battles. Is that not the case and if so how are they fought?

As far as "challenge" for regular leveling I've never seen an mmo that didn't have "grind" as in repetitive content. Even Guild Wars 2 has repetitive events.

My experience is that the only game I've experienced with "challenge" is the dark souls series.
    Post edited by Sovrath on

Forgrimm said:
    ikcin said:
    Sorry, but honestly there is not such a thing like a challenging singleplayer game...
    Dark Souls would like to have a word with you.

Dark Souls has terrible controls. On PS3 it is relatively easy. I like the dark atmosphere there, and the fact you have a death penalty to deal with. In fact DS2 is the best hack&slash game I have played, and the grind is limited - a really good game.

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,543
    Sovrath said:
    My experience is that the only game I've experienced with "challenge" is the dark souls series.
    How far have you been in WoW Mythic raids ?

Challenge is often up to the player to seek nowadays, unlike before when it was forced on you.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • d_20d_20 SeoulMember RarePosts: 1,577
    /derailed

• ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,552
    d_20 said:
    /derailed
    Yup, sadly that's what happens when someone goes on a multi-post anti-grind crusade in a thread that simply asked "what's your favorite game for grinding.
  • Crazycuban3Crazycuban3 West Palm Beach, FLMember UncommonPosts: 6
    Kids don't know about grinding these days... but if I had to pick id say: AO borg grind, KO titans, and old school aion were my favorite grinds
  • KonfessKonfess Dallas, TXMember RarePosts: 1,583
    edited February 2
    SWG Pre-CU - I really enjoyed grinding combat classes in that game. Even though PvE combat was really basic and just about the meta-game, I loved running around tattooine killing everything in site, or getting in leveling groups and grinding missions. Mostly this was due to the aesthetics - I love star wars!

Distopia said:
    SWG by far, as grinding bettered skills rather than raising levels. There were also a variety of activities grinds could entail. You could just be sitting around chatting and healing people with combat fatigue. The skill choices also lead to a far more interesting character building system than anything I've played since IMO.

I started my SWG grind on Naboo with Fambaa missions as I called it. I was a Carbineer / Creature Handler. I had awful poor creatures. First I had Nuna (chickens), Kaadu (giant ducks), Ikopi (long legged cows), Gualama (llama), and eventually a Nargalatch (medium sized wolf). But eventually I found a Great Plains Stalker.

A guildy bought me some Mabari armour on my first day, but that did last a year. Then I switched to my gear of choice Tantel armour with Hot Pants. I did Carbineer & Creature Handler and a few others at the keyboard.

But I did Teras Kasi Artist and Commando by Macro in Moenia on Naboo. This was like watching a Movie The TKA had colored streams following its combat animation so it was beautiful. Carbineer had none of that, it was nothing but pew-pew-pew.
    Post edited by Konfess on

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.