Favorite game for grinding

24

Comments

  • renstarensta Bat-YamMember UncommonPosts: 492
    grinding is a type of escape... for the next few hours nothing matters,just killing those easy mobs,getting loot ect.. all your troubles in the real life go away... now you might say that happens when you just play... but when you grind you get into this some sort of trance.. anyway... talking to friends,listening to favorite music while grinding + the randome rare loot or asshole pvp scumbag, sounds like the perfect night for me. 

    image


    Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Reply
    Add Multi-Quote

  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,508
    I still jump into Tera every now and then because dodging the BAM attacks can be so much fun. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

  • GladDogGladDog Pottstown, PAMember RarePosts: 849
    edited January 29
    SURPRISE!  To no one that reads my posts!  CoH was my all time favorite grinding game.  I could go for hours.  I'd invite random new players to a team and help them get 7-8 levels in a half hour.

    Some of my favorite stories are from grinding in CoH. 

    I took my invul tanker into Perez Park, pulled 110 bad guys (the maximum possible) and then called newbs to take em out.  Taunt cast an unbreakable agro at the time, and since I was 20 levels above the bad guys they never broke away.  As they swung helplessly at me (defense and damage resistance all at 90%, and the rare time I was hit it was only 2-3 points) I laughed and laughed as the newbs leveled like popcorn on the stove.

    I was using my Fire/Energy  melee tank in a mission helping some friends level.  I had to be careful though, my big hitter power drew health when I used it, per enemy hit.  Not a huge deal for a single target strike, but at that time it was bugged and struck with a narrow cone.  I gathered about 70 +2 Freakshow and got em stuck behind a dumpster, and that target was so damn tempting... So I used Energy Transfer, and killed like 55 of them in one hit!  I died too, of course,  What was funny was that when I rezzed, I had no XP debt!  The health is taken, you die, and then you swing.  So all of that XP debt was also eliminated in one blow!
    ***ADDED AS AN EDIT*** One of the new players I was helping to level went from 2 to 17 on that one swing!

    I laughed so hard that I had to do it again!  And I did!
    Post edited by GladDog on


    The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!


  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Pittsburgh, PAMember UncommonPosts: 1,732
    edited January 24
    Dofus if I want to grind combat, because it has turn-based tactical combat.  A Tale In The Desert if I want to grind crafting.  I haven't yet found a good MMO for grinding reputation/relationship with NPCs, nor for grinding pet monster levels, so for those I have to settle for single-player games.
    Post edited by sunandshadow on
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ikcinikcin AmberMember UncommonPosts: 880
    Leiloni said:
    ikcin said:
    Leiloni said:
    ikcin said:
    Leiloni said:
    ikcin said:
    OK, as obviously here are many people who understand it, I have a question - how repetitive killing of one mob over and over again for hours could be fun?
    Because the combat is fun, grinding is relaxing, and it's nice to not have to run around doing different things. Some games make you talk to too many NPC's and run around the map when all you want to do is kill stuff. It's also a great way to chill and chat with friends in Discord.

    But there is no challenge, no progression, you just hit few buttons over and over again. The grind could be evolved to something impressive. I mean one mate in L2 grinded alone with two parties controlled only by him, without any bots. I cannot do it. But still I do not understand how that is entertaining. It is like working on assembly line. Hour after hour doing the same move.

    Psychologically probably you feel relaxed because you win over and over again, and there is no real danger. Or the simple repetition, like the mantras of the buddhist monks, makes you feel calm. But in general it seems to me like a terribly boring thing. Well, I admit running to NPCs for pointless text dialogs is even more boring.

    Well there is progression but you don't always want challenge. That gets physically and mentally tiring after a while. In short bits its fun, but for long periods of time, not at all. In most other MMO's you're still just killing easy mobs but less of them, and instead spend that time turning in quests. So there's really no difference. The only challenging part in other games is when you enter an instanced dungeon.

    The lesser evil does not seem to me as a rational choice when we are talking about games.
    It's not the lesser evil, it's fun. I already explained why.

    So the grind is better than the challenge? Because the repetitiveness is equal to lack of challenge. I mean, I understand how the combat system may be fun. But what is the point to fight, when there is no challenge?

    image

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,221
    edited January 24
    ikcin said:
    Leiloni said:
    ikcin said:
    Leiloni said:
    ikcin said:
    Leiloni said:
    ikcin said:
    OK, as obviously here are many people who understand it, I have a question - how repetitive killing of one mob over and over again for hours could be fun?
    Because the combat is fun, grinding is relaxing, and it's nice to not have to run around doing different things. Some games make you talk to too many NPC's and run around the map when all you want to do is kill stuff. It's also a great way to chill and chat with friends in Discord.

    But there is no challenge, no progression, you just hit few buttons over and over again. The grind could be evolved to something impressive. I mean one mate in L2 grinded alone with two parties controlled only by him, without any bots. I cannot do it. But still I do not understand how that is entertaining. It is like working on assembly line. Hour after hour doing the same move.

    Psychologically probably you feel relaxed because you win over and over again, and there is no real danger. Or the simple repetition, like the mantras of the buddhist monks, makes you feel calm. But in general it seems to me like a terribly boring thing. Well, I admit running to NPCs for pointless text dialogs is even more boring.

    Well there is progression but you don't always want challenge. That gets physically and mentally tiring after a while. In short bits its fun, but for long periods of time, not at all. In most other MMO's you're still just killing easy mobs but less of them, and instead spend that time turning in quests. So there's really no difference. The only challenging part in other games is when you enter an instanced dungeon.

    The lesser evil does not seem to me as a rational choice when we are talking about games.
    It's not the lesser evil, it's fun. I already explained why.

    So the grind is better than the challenge? Because the repetitiveness is equal to lack of challenge. I mean, I understand how the combat system may be fun. But what is the point to fight, when there is no challenge?
    I think you are coming into this with a predefined idea of x, y and z and when given an answer that doesn't fit, you are getting a "does not compute".

    I would say that grinding mobs is its own thing. There could be challenge or not. But the enjoyment of it is not predicated on whether it has challenge.

    There is no challenge to taking a walk, wading in a pool, sitting on a park bench and watching the birds, they are attractive based on their own merits.

    "But what is the point to fight, when there is no challenge?"

    maybe you can let that go and accept that there is another axis for which to base things on. I get that you want a challenge, and maybe you only find fun with challenge. That's great.

    But you asked how it is enjoyable and you need to take the answers at face value and not apply your own conditions. Just understand that there are reasons and those reasons don't align with what you find enjoyable.



    Post edited by Sovrath on



  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Pittsburgh, PAMember UncommonPosts: 1,732
    ikcin said:

    So the grind is better than the challenge? Because the repetitiveness is equal to lack of challenge. I mean, I understand how the combat system may be fun. But what is the point to fight, when there is no challenge?
    Is there no hobby you enjoy that is repetitive and not particularly challenging?  Like painting, throwing pottery, doing yoga, walking a dog in nice weather....?
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 6,251
    edited January 24
    I have a few dynamic events I really like in GW2 that I grind just because I enjoy it so much and also use it to test build changes.  Once when playing L2 someone said they thought I was a bot for spending so much time, 2 boxing mobs in the same area.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

    "Change is the only constant."


  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid GinnungagapMember EpicPosts: 8,780
    i usually don't enjoy grinding, but when i want grindy gameplay i play Warframe and Monster Hunter Generations.

    image
  • d_20d_20 SeoulMember RarePosts: 1,635
    edited January 25
    ikcin said:
    OK, as obviously here are many people who understand it, I have a question - how repetitive killing of one mob over and over again for hours could be fun?
    For me, it's a way I like to relax when I just need to chill for an hour or two each day. My work involves a lot of reading, writing, analysis, etc. My brain just needs some down time. At those times, I don't feel like reading a book and I don't watch TV.

    In my game, I don't feel like reading quests, solving puzzles, doing group activities, etc. Grinding is perfect for an hour or two. It's even better if I can make some sort of progress on my character (gold, skills, reputation, whatever).
    Post edited by d_20 on


  • d_20d_20 SeoulMember RarePosts: 1,635
    edited January 25
    ikcin said: But still I do not understand how that is entertaining. It is like working on assembly line. Hour after hour doing the same move.

    Psychologically probably you feel relaxed because you win over and over again, and there is no real danger. Or the simple repetition, like the mantras of the buddhist monks, makes you feel calm. But in general it seems to me like a terribly boring thing. Well, I admit running to NPCs for pointless text dialogs is even more boring.

    Yes, it is like this. I guess it could be like playing solitaire, knitting, putting together a plastic model, painting your Warhammer figures, chanting. It can be relaxing and I don't really think of it as "entertainment" though it could be. I don't like to grind all the time. But sometimes I just want to do it for an hour or two.

    If I want a challenge (sometimes I do) I know where to find it. I can play a pvp game or some other game that requires focus and concentration. Sometimes I'm in the mood for that. 

    I don't need any danger any more. I used to find it interesting, but as I've gotten older, I've tended to be less interested in getting the adrenaline pumping. 
    Post edited by d_20 on


  • AoriAori Carbondale, ILMember EpicPosts: 3,856
    ikcin said:
    Leiloni said:
    ikcin said:
    Leiloni said:
    ikcin said:
    Leiloni said:
    ikcin said:
    OK, as obviously here are many people who understand it, I have a question - how repetitive killing of one mob over and over again for hours could be fun?
    Because the combat is fun, grinding is relaxing, and it's nice to not have to run around doing different things. Some games make you talk to too many NPC's and run around the map when all you want to do is kill stuff. It's also a great way to chill and chat with friends in Discord.

    But there is no challenge, no progression, you just hit few buttons over and over again. The grind could be evolved to something impressive. I mean one mate in L2 grinded alone with two parties controlled only by him, without any bots. I cannot do it. But still I do not understand how that is entertaining. It is like working on assembly line. Hour after hour doing the same move.

    Psychologically probably you feel relaxed because you win over and over again, and there is no real danger. Or the simple repetition, like the mantras of the buddhist monks, makes you feel calm. But in general it seems to me like a terribly boring thing. Well, I admit running to NPCs for pointless text dialogs is even more boring.

    Well there is progression but you don't always want challenge. That gets physically and mentally tiring after a while. In short bits its fun, but for long periods of time, not at all. In most other MMO's you're still just killing easy mobs but less of them, and instead spend that time turning in quests. So there's really no difference. The only challenging part in other games is when you enter an instanced dungeon.

    The lesser evil does not seem to me as a rational choice when we are talking about games.
    It's not the lesser evil, it's fun. I already explained why.

    So the grind is better than the challenge? Because the repetitiveness is equal to lack of challenge. I mean, I understand how the combat system may be fun. But what is the point to fight, when there is no challenge?
    The challenge in grinding is finding the right spot for you and moving at an efficient pace, a lot of people suck at this believe it or not.
  • ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Right now, I'm really enjoying grinding in the Midtown level of Marvel Heros. Something about just running from event to event, boss to boss, fighting, collecting XP and loot is really appealing to me. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 6,251
    d_20 said:
    ikcin said: But still I do not understand how that is entertaining. It is like working on assembly line. Hour after hour doing the same move.

    Psychologically probably you feel relaxed because you win over and over again, and there is no real danger. Or the simple repetition, like the mantras of the buddhist monks, makes you feel calm. But in general it seems to me like a terribly boring thing. Well, I admit running to NPCs for pointless text dialogs is even more boring.

    Yes, it is like this. I guess it could be like playing solitaire, knitting, putting together a plastic model, painting your Warhammer figures, chanting. It can be relaxing and I don't really think of it as "entertainment" though it could be. I don't like to grind all the time. But sometimes I just want to do it for an hour or two.

    If I want a challenge (sometimes I do) I know where to find it. I can play a pvp game or some other game that requires focus and concentration. Sometimes I'm in the mood for that. 

    I don't need any danger any more. I used to find it interesting, but as I've gotten older, I've tended to be less interested in getting the adrenaline pumping. 
    I once noticed when playing L2 how the sound of the game was very relaxing and repetitive which I guess could put someone in a deep state of something if he did it long enough.

    "Change is the only constant."


  • ikcinikcin AmberMember UncommonPosts: 880
    OK, let say there is a game without grind. I know it is hard to imagine, but in fact with the modern cloud technologies it is completely possible. Would you play such a game - where the quests and the mobs are... well, not unique exactly, but not repetitive for sure.

    image

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,221
    ikcin said:
    OK, let say there is a game without grind. I know it is hard to imagine, but in fact with the modern cloud technologies it is completely possible. Would you play such a game - where the quests and the mobs are... well, not unique exactly, but not repetitive for sure.
    Well, "engaging is engaging".

    So replacing grinding mobs with quests and different types of mob encounters is just swapping out one type of "engaging" content for another.

    Personally the quests would have to be "real quests". There are very few of these in these games as they are mostly "jobs" or busy work.

    Running some place to collect 4 of something or kill 3 of something is not really a quest.





  • KajidourdenKajidourden Panama City, FLMember RarePosts: 1,485
    Tree of savior is a fun, unapologetic grinder.  The skills are impactful and animated well, which helps it feel less painful, plus F2P!
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard La BarreMember EpicPosts: 6,657
    edited January 25
    Black Desert's very dynamic combat makes it quite fun to grind. I'd vote for that one.
    For older games, Asheron's Call holds the crown. Farming dungeons was incredibly fun in that game.
    Post edited by Jean-Luc_Picard on
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 7700k (4.80ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UltraGaming - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 4K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Pioneer VSX-322 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLMember RarePosts: 2,220
    ikcin said:
    OK, as obviously here are many people who understand it, I have a question - how repetitive killing of one mob over and over again for hours could be fun?
    The same way some people find bullet hell shooters relaxing; it can be a form of meditation.

    I enjoy grinding in Vendetta Online.

    "To be what you are not, experience what you are not." -Saint John of the Cross
    Authored 131 missions in Vendetta Online
    Check it out on Steam

  • nerovergilnerovergil klMember UncommonPosts: 631
    edited January 26
    i grind gw2 spvp casually and found it fun

    even losing i get money and i can troll chat enemy players
    Post edited by nerovergil on
  • ikcinikcin AmberMember UncommonPosts: 880
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:
    OK, let say there is a game without grind. I know it is hard to imagine, but in fact with the modern cloud technologies it is completely possible. Would you play such a game - where the quests and the mobs are... well, not unique exactly, but not repetitive for sure.
    Well, "engaging is engaging".

    So replacing grinding mobs with quests and different types of mob encounters is just swapping out one type of "engaging" content for another.

    Personally the quests would have to be "real quests". There are very few of these in these games as they are mostly "jobs" or busy work.

    Running some place to collect 4 of something or kill 3 of something is not really a quest.
    It seems you even cannot imagine a game without grind. I'm curious is the grind a customers demand or a marketing policy - it is easier and cheaper for the developers for sure. Let say there is a game where the repetitive actions are significantly reduced. After you slay a mob, you cannot slay it again. After you make a quest, it is done. No dailies, everything is adaptive, everything is changing, you really affect the world with your decisions and actions, and also the other players. The risk is much higher as every experience is unique. So would you prefer such a game or the games that exist now, with a lot of grind.

    image

  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member RarePosts: 6,304
    edited January 26
    Grind has two parts: repetitive and monotonous. Repetition can be reduced (sort of) by not rliminated because we are still interfacing with the game the same way. After awhile that gets very repetitive. Monotonous is subjective and within the individuals control. 

    So does any game now have grind and is it possible for a game not to have it on the future. I guess that depends on you.
    Post edited by VengeSunsoar on
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,221
    edited January 26
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:
    OK, let say there is a game without grind. I know it is hard to imagine, but in fact with the modern cloud technologies it is completely possible. Would you play such a game - where the quests and the mobs are... well, not unique exactly, but not repetitive for sure.
    Well, "engaging is engaging".

    So replacing grinding mobs with quests and different types of mob encounters is just swapping out one type of "engaging" content for another.

    Personally the quests would have to be "real quests". There are very few of these in these games as they are mostly "jobs" or busy work.

    Running some place to collect 4 of something or kill 3 of something is not really a quest.
    It seems you even cannot imagine a game without grind. I'm curious is the grind a customers demand or a marketing policy - it is easier and cheaper for the developers for sure. Let say there is a game where the repetitive actions are significantly reduced. After you slay a mob, you cannot slay it again. After you make a quest, it is done. No dailies, everything is adaptive, everything is changing, you really affect the world with your decisions and actions, and also the other players. The risk is much higher as every experience is unique. So would you prefer such a game or the games that exist now, with a lot of grind.
    No, it's you who can't imagine that "grinding" can be enjoyable.

    A game without grind? Well that's subjective isn't it? I would never say an Elder Scrolls single player game has grind. But I've seen players report that they "grind" in order to make their skills better (which I think is ridiculous but "whatever").

    Truth is, it bothers you and it bothers you that people enjoy it. you are not willing to take people's explanations at face value as it doesn't fit into your gaming world view.

    Replace the word "grind" with "enjoyable fun pastime". Non-stop fighting of mobs is an apt description.

    I've seen people call World of Warcraft a grinding. Grinding quests, grinding end game instances.

    Is Doom a grind? You are essentially fighting a narrow range of mobs over and over again. I wouldn't say it was.

    Any repetition of content might be  considered "unwanted grind" by a player if they don't enjoy it.
    Post edited by Sovrath on



  • AmatheAmathe Miami, FLMember RarePosts: 2,989
    I liked grinding in original EQ because of the social xp groups and the occasional rare spawns. 

    EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

  • ikcinikcin AmberMember UncommonPosts: 880
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:
    OK, let say there is a game without grind. I know it is hard to imagine, but in fact with the modern cloud technologies it is completely possible. Would you play such a game - where the quests and the mobs are... well, not unique exactly, but not repetitive for sure.
    Well, "engaging is engaging".

    So replacing grinding mobs with quests and different types of mob encounters is just swapping out one type of "engaging" content for another.

    Personally the quests would have to be "real quests". There are very few of these in these games as they are mostly "jobs" or busy work.

    Running some place to collect 4 of something or kill 3 of something is not really a quest.
    It seems you even cannot imagine a game without grind. I'm curious is the grind a customers demand or a marketing policy - it is easier and cheaper for the developers for sure. Let say there is a game where the repetitive actions are significantly reduced. After you slay a mob, you cannot slay it again. After you make a quest, it is done. No dailies, everything is adaptive, everything is changing, you really affect the world with your decisions and actions, and also the other players. The risk is much higher as every experience is unique. So would you prefer such a game or the games that exist now, with a lot of grind.
    No, it's you who can't imagine that "grinding" can be enjoyable.

    A game without grind? Well that's subjective isn't it? I would never say an Elder Scrolls single player game has grind. But I've seen players report that they "grind" in order to make their skills better (which I think is ridiculous but "whatever").

    Truth is, it bothers you and it bothers you that people enjoy it. you are not willing to take people's explanations at face value as it doesn't fit into your gaming world view.

    Replace the word "grind" with "enjoyable fun pastime". Non-stop fighting of mobs is an apt description.

    I've seen people call World of Warcraft a grinding. Grinding quests, grinding end game instances.

    Is Doom a grind? You are essentially fighting a narrow range of mobs over and over again. I wouldn't say it was.

    Any repetition of content might be  considered "unwanted grind" by a player if they don't enjoy it.


    First, I understand how it could be enjoyable. As every player I did some grind, and in few cases like some instances in L2 I even enjoyed it. Well they were challenging places like the monastery, so I have to admit I'm not a grind man. But the grind is a standard in the most games. And I'm curious why? Because of the players or because of the industry.

    Second you simply avoid the question. I'm asking what you will prefer, a game with or without repetitive actions? You answer I have to enjoy the grind. So I do not understand do you deny a game without grind is possible, or you insist the games with grind are better?

    image

Sign In or Register to comment.