Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confused: what is Darkfall Rise of Agon? the third Darkfall game?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I am not sure what this is. Is it the third Darkfall game?

whats different?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• JackieRyderJackieRyder Member UncommonPosts: 145
    its the 3rd remake of darkfall, the game itself never lasted long so they remade it to fit a wider niche
  • wyldmagikwyldmagik Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited January 2017
    Bought licence of the original darkfall game tweaked and made better. There are two different dev groups doing the original game in their own vision.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    its the 3rd remake of darkfall, the game itself never lasted long so they remade it to fit a wider niche
    whats different enough to make the niche wider? 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Not much.
    ROA in particular is made to meet Darkfall Veterans expectations, so it will be very similar to the original.

The other one, New Dawn, seems more interesting as on paper is more similar to EVE.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Are you kidding?  There's three ENTIRELY new words in the title!  Did you miss the "Rise of Agon" part??? ;)

ste2000 said:
    Not much.
    ROA in particular is made to meet Darkfall Veterans expectations, so it will be very similar to the original.

The other one, New Dawn, seems more interesting as on paper is more similar to EVE.

interesting. I didnt hear of New Dawn till now. How will that be EvE like? 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    First there was Darkfall (Aventurine)
    Then there was Darkfall: Unholy Wars (Aventurine).
    Which are now no more.

Darkfall was subsequently licensed to two different companies. And two new versions are being worked on. Darkfall: Rise of Agon (Big Picture Games) and Darkfall: New Dawn (Ub3rgames).

So is D:RoA the 3rd? Answer: it will be the 3rd or 4th - depending on release dates. 

What are the differences? Well there are some vids and info out there but also some NDAs. (I think they still exist). A quick search will pull up what there is. Until they release though to early to say.
    gervaise1 said:
    First there was Darkfall (Aventurine)
    Then there was Darkfall: Unholy Wars (Aventurine).
    Which are now no more.

Darkfall was subsequently licensed to two different companies. And two new versions are being worked on. Darkfall: Rise of Agon (Big Picture Games) and Darkfall: New Dawn (Ub3rgames).

So is D:RoA the 3rd? Answer: it will be the 3rd or 4th - depending on release dates. 

What are the differences? Well there are some vids and info out there but also some NDAs. (I think they still exist). A quick search will pull up what there is. Until they release though to early to say.
    interesting. I was on this site from a google search, and seem to have a Sub already, So I would assume its already released right?

https://darkfallriseofagon.com/Store/

So I will look up New Dawn now. I may sub and try out the game. I only played that last few months when the first game was closing. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    ste2000 said:

interesting. I didnt hear of New Dawn till now. How will that be EvE like? 
    There will be more penalties for going rogue, and it will have more safeguards to protect new players from being abused by veteran players.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    edited January 2017
    There is a NDA for New Dawn (that's why you don't hear much about the game), but ROA doesn't. 

New Dawn is currently in pre-alpha. They are chanigng allot about the game. 

Roa is currently in Early Access, but there will be a wipe before it goes live. 

• dranaeldranael Member UncommonPosts: 64

Darkall New Dawn will be more of a sandbox mmo.  It will have local banking and racial wars.  Local banking give small communities a chance to form.  Also with the removal of fast travel, you don't always have to fight the best players on the server during every single siege.  This gives smaller wars of more casual players a chance to enjoy themselves.

Rise of Agon is will have no alignment and instant travel portals.  It will be more basically the same game that failed due to lack of things to do.

If you try RoA right now you will see the server is terrible.  Failures to register hits, weapons not switching on command, etc.

If you log into DnD you will find a crystal smooth game even tho the test server is in france (being moved on launch).

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184

dranael said:

Darkall New Dawn will be more of a sandbox mmo.  It will have local banking and racial wars.  Local banking give small communities a chance to form.  Also with the removal of fast travel, you don't always have to fight the best players on the server during every single siege.  This gives smaller wars of more casual players a chance to enjoy themselves.

Rise of Agon is will have no alignment and instant travel portals.  It will be more basically the same game that failed due to lack of things to do.

If you try RoA right now you will see the server is terrible.  Failures to register hits, weapons not switching on command, etc.

If you log into DnD you will find a crystal smooth game even tho the test server is in france (being moved on launch).

Do we know of any other MMOs were the theory translated into reality? I see the logic in what you write with local communities, etc, but is that what really happens in the end? I know SWG had that to some extent despite fast-traveling, so perhaps this will be true?

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• agonyecstacyagonyecstacy Member UncommonPosts: 2
    darkfall failed because of the failed greece economy
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

darkfall failed because of the failed greece economy

Just no.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193

dranael said:

Everyone tread carefully when listening to DND fans. They tend to misunderstand ROA and seem to be afraid, hence they try their hardest to bash it.

There is nothing more sandbox about DND than ROA. Local banking != sand. Removal of fast travel != sand. Those both equate to severe inconvenience. It's cool if that's what you are into, not knocking it at all, but with a world as large as Agon... it's severely disabling. When it comes to sand the very first thing Rise of Agon implemented was dropping items on the ground. Then they put in territory control so clans actually have control over the land they own. They're expanding on that allowing clans to expand their territory and claim more land. That is sand, my friend.

Rise of Agon has alignment and is actually adding content rather than removing it, like DND has done so far. The difference in alignment between DND and RoA is that in RoA you have a "single" alignment, more like Eve Online and in DND you have it just like the old Darkfall where the factions can kill each other while still grouping and clanning with them as well. This makes for a lot of very confusing confrontations. Meet up with a group of players and see an Ork, you know you can kill the Ork because you are human and the guys running around with him are human as well so maybe they will help? Nope, they're friends and you just died. RoA removed the confusion.

The servers aren't as bad as you make it out to be, and they're upgrading to much more powerful servers anyway, so moot point. All of the ghost casts and swings were fixed in the code.

Now if you don't mind, take your trash talking propaganda somewhere else. It just shows how terribly scared you are that Rise of Agon is launching when you guys can't help but throw in an advert whenever someone makes a post. When DND actually has some changes worth showing maybe the world will take notice.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193

docminus2 said:

dranael said:

Do we know of any other MMOs were the theory translated into reality? I see the logic in what you write with local communities, etc, but is that what really happens in the end? I know SWG had that to some extent despite fast-traveling, so perhaps this will be true?

Exactly. Fast travel does not remove the ability for local communities to thrive and global banking does not remove a chance for regional markets. Some people just don't understand this. DND will be a huge convenience. They're taking an already niche game and stacking even more niche on top. Rise of Agon is actually improving the game and focusing on adding real sandbox content. Can't wait!!
  • Avenging_MartyrAvenging_Martyr Member UncommonPosts: 11
    edited April 2017
    @MMOExposed

Hi there,

I've played DFO and I've been in the Beta since the start so I try to explain some of the many changes that have been coming that separate DF:RoA from DFO.

One of the largest hurdles in the past was the skill/stat grind. RoA has been trying to tackle this issue with several methods.

Front loading skills and stats is beyond huge to prevent the need to grind to max. As the graphs available within this link will show you https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/news/patch-notes/patch-notes-august-5th-2016/

This greatly reduces the grind needed to be combat viable. With 50 Str/Vit ect you will have the health and melee damage of what a vet would have had in the original with those same stats around 75-80. The further your go the less it gives in return.

So you don't feel the need to max out everything to compete with someone who has been playing for months longer if you join later or competing with a no lifer who can sink 80+ hours a week.

Many skills/spells have reduced requirements and some by major amounts compared to the past and many passives were removed (maxed and given instantly so benefit is there but no need to grind them)

The new scrolls/ skill manuals creation system. With the right materials you can craft scrolls/manuals for any spell or melee/bow skill and get what you want raised up if you have the materials or money/items to buy/trade it from others.

Of course friends or veterans could give/support whomever they wish with scrolls for key manuals for their primary weapon skills and spells like heals, heal others, buffs ect.

The current mediation system can raise skills/stats while online or offline as well.

There are faster default gains on skills and stats when compared to any past version of Darkfall.

Now to mention the multiple changes to prevent hacking. Which was way to common in the original DFO.

From early changes which moved more things server side and out of the clients reach. Restructuring of the code to prevent more skilled hackers from hacking as well as changes to the code for better tracking of in game items / characters to track/prevent duping or stat adjustments and similar cheating methods.

The most recent addition of actual anti-hack software which you can read more about here: https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/news/official-updates/implementing-anti-hack-software/

All combined equals serious efforts by BPG to stomp out cheaters and hackers for a better Darkfall experience.

NPC cities are now much safer than in the past to prevent new player abuse and provide a real safe zone.

Any attack/ability & All spells cause at least some damage which activates the defensive tower system. Healing hostile invaders/pkers now flags you as hostile as well.

You can activate a prevent damage to players with positive alignment function. This prevents griefers or friends of hostiles with positive alignment from jumping into your attacks against hostiles which would previously cause you to be flagged as hostile so the defensive towers attacked you as well. (Cheesy but it's been fixed)

Clans now have 2 banks. A regular clan bank and a Officers clan bank. Making recruiting new players less of a risk to larger or veteran clans.

BPG are not the same as Aventurine in the past. This time they all speak english (Former devs were greek) and read and respond to the player base on the forums regularly. They've already completed several things the former devs said was impossible like a second clan bank tab or front loading skills/spells. Which are in game and working right now.

For a compiled list of patch notes check out https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/game/development/compiled-patch-notes/

No game purchase required. It will have a 10$ monthly sub cost however they are implementing a PLEX like system.

Fresh launch so no one will have any advantages except some knowledge and player skill. Loot tables are getting a overhaul before launch so many things will change from what us veterans are use to.

Definitely worth checking out the launch on May 5th.

PS: Personally I prefer RoA over ND mainly due to their outlook on world travel.

DND has no bindstone/house recall abilities which are essentially teleports to any city you lived in (You can bind to NPC/Player Cities) or any house you own or are a guest of allowing for much quicker world transportation.

In the Original and Rise of Agon these abilities existed so you could travel a long distance and teleport home when you are done farming, pvping or whatever. In New Dawn you are forced to ride back which essentially doubles your travel time which eats up the time you have to enjoy the game IMHO.

DND wants to create a local banking structure so you have to manually carry your gear/loot/mats ect from one location to another especially if you move to a new area which creates alot of needless risk for things that should be banked and stay safe from my perspective. It will stimulate the economy and increase profits from trading over long distances.

In Rise of Agon all banks share worldwide. So you access a bank  anywhere in the world you have access to your entire bank/clan bank. As long as you find a bank you can store things safely or take out whatever you need from what you have available.

This is a huge convenience factor especially since raw resources and spell regeants let alone armor sets can be very heavy and incredibly hard to transport any real distance outside the bank system. Many things can only be found in certain areas of the map which makes world travel important.

RoA is adding a massive wilderness portal system and wants to increase world travel much more than it has ever been done before. They want people roaming anywhere/everywhere to generate more player interaction with the convenience to access/store stuff easily and return home/travel much easier.

RoA even added a extra recall ability to travel to your racial capital city for free if you have positive alignment (Which you often need to return to through out the game because that's where you buy spell schools, high end spells, high end skills, the best passives and the best crafting skills.)

RoA allows players to work together more effectively by allowing with positive alignment to go into any other racial npc cities to bank which greatly increases the amount of the world you can access easily and safely.

You cannot bind at other racial npc cities as of yet. There is talk of adding a quest system to gain reputation to enable binding in other racial areas. (In the original and in new dawn there is a racial alliance system which prevents any enemy races from entering npc cities)

In RoA only red players will have to worry about npc towers while roaming agon.

I hope this information helps. If you have any questions please feel free to ask I'll stop by once in awhile and answer what I can.

• SiqueKhanSiqueKhan Member CommonPosts: 4
    Razorwax set out to create Darkfall Online back in 2001, gaining inspiration from games such as Asheron's Call and Ultima Online. Some years later (I believe around 2004), Razorwax eventually merged into a Greek company named Aventurine for what I can only assume was so they could get extra funding and manpower behind the game. In 2008 the game eventually went into closed beta, and was released in 2009.

At the time there were many issues which caused a massive loss in population; the game had a ridiculous grind so people resorted to macroing (which was easy and much faster to leveling normally because you could get gains from hitting other players and such), monsters were way too difficult (people could barely kill goblins), balancing issues, etc. AV (Aventurine) eventually made these issues a bit more bearable, then kind of just.. stopped working on the game. No updates, no word, and a bunch of lies from the devs to make it seem like they were doing something.

They announced a new expansion which was going to be absolutely huge, and after hearing about it for a year or so they said the game was going to be wiped and the majority of the remaining players stopped playing because of that. This "expansion" ended up becoming Darkfall: Unholy Wars which differed from Darkfall Online so much that the fan base just drifted off upon it's release, and it's full release felt more like an alpha version of the game. It dumbed down many of the mechanics and attempted to reach out to a broader audience, but completely flopped.

Eventually Unholy Wars died off, Aventurine consisted of only a few members, and two teams tried for a license of the original game that fans of the game wanted back so badly. Both thought it was a bit of a pipe dream, but they eventually found that getting the license for the game and recreating Darkfall would actually be quite possible. Presumably, Aventurine saw that there was no chance for them to continue making a profit from Darkfall, and sold the license to both companies in order to scavenge whatever they could from their failed attempt.

Thus, Darkfall: Rise of Agon and Darkfall: New Dawn were born. Loyal fans split into two different teams, purchased the license for the game and are trying to create their vision for Darkfall. Shortly afterwards Unholy Wars shut down, and now these two games are attempting on making the title successful.

Rise of Agon which is run by Big Picture Games is staying true to the original but improving and polishing it up, as well as adding new content down the line and in simple terms: releasing Darkfall Online.. but more. Basically doing what Aventurine should have done.

New Dawn (run by Ub3rgames) is using Darkfall Online as a base and completely changing it - taking elements from Darkfall: Unholy Wars, EVE, etc and making what feels like a different game. Local banking, no fast travel, and changing much of the combat and it's mechanics.

The main reason Darkfall failed was because of the awful business practices and lack of effort put in by the original company. It was and is truly the most unique, and adrenaline-filled MMO you could ever play, and if you were disappointed with how the previous developers handled it, you'd likely be quite impressed with how well BPG/Ub3rgames have been handling their versions of the game.

TL;DR: Yes it's the third rendition of the game, but it's under a different company who actually cares and isn't going to Sean Murray the game this time around, improving it far more than the previous developers ever did.