Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PIPE dreams

2»

Comments

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Palladin said:
    I have been disappointed some many times in the past few years. 

Shadowbane - flop
    Vanguard -  flop
    Daggerfall - flop

My opinion is that any game with full on open world pvp will not attract enough mainstream gamers to be profitable. 
    One of the best pvp systems I have seen is in a game called Fallen Earth. Full on pvp is restricted to large areas of the maps call conflict regions(CR). All the best crafting materials are in these CRs. The CRs can be conquered and owned by player factions. When the CRs are not owned they have elite level mobs that control them. The incentive to engage in pvp was to have access to materials which are used in crafting end game gear. I thought it was a great system and still occasionally log in and play the game. 

Crowfall - wait and see what it delivers. I really hope this game can deliver because right not I don't have anything engaging to play. 
    The thing is the only campaign settings that are full Open World PvP are GvG and the Dregs. That will attract the main PvP players. But you also have the 3v3 faction setting and people who just want to build their castles in the Eternal Kingdoms.

If Crowfall flops I don't think it will be due to the PvP elements. It will be due to the fact it just wasn't as good of a game as it should have been. And honestly that is what has sunk most PvP titles.
    JamesGoblinYashaX
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    xpiher said:
    Arkade99 said:
    Palladin said:
    My vision of a city siege would be having the PvPers and the PvEers engaging in their prefered play style. The PvE environment around the city becomes the first line of defence to be breached. After all one must subdue the surrounding areas to get to the walls of the city right. The first battle for a city could be one of resources. PvEers could be outside the rule set for PvP thus the game would attract the PvE community and the game would then become much more attractive to a vastly larger player base. 
    Your vision is not the vision of the people making the game. There will be competition for resources going on all the time, not just during sieges. People will be fighting over those resources. There won't be any safe places in a campaign. There won't be players in a campaign who can't be attacked. 

They aren't trying to attract the PvE community. They aren't trying to attract a vastly larger player base. By their own words, this is intended to be a niche game for PvPers. The PvE activities that exist in the game are there only to support and promote PvP.

If you want to play Crowfall and be completely safe from attack, you can stay in the Eternal Kingdoms and try to be a crafter/trader. If you join a campaign, you will be fair game to anyone not in your faction and/or guild.

As stated above, there will be campaign worlds that are purely factional based PvP where giant largely safe zones exist ala EvE Corp space.
    Those aren't safe zones. You aren't safe just because you are in lands controlled by your faction. Sure, you can hide inside a keep that your faction controls and you are safe until another faction lays siege to it, but as soon as you step outside those walls you are fair game. 

When a campaign first starts, there won't be anywhere to hide, as your forts and keeps will be in a state of ruin. You'll have to help get materials from POIs to rebuild those structures before they offer any real safety. There will be competition between all the factions for those materials.

It's really not like EvE Corp space at all. You can eventually add NPC guards to your forts and keeps, but they won't be a significant deterrent to attackers.
    JamesGoblinYashaX
  • Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    I think you mean Darkfall, Daggerfall was the third Elder Scrolls Game, and it was offline.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Arkade99 said:
    xpiher said:
    Arkade99 said:
    Palladin said:
    My vision of a city siege would be having the PvPers and the PvEers engaging in their prefered play style. The PvE environment around the city becomes the first line of defence to be breached. After all one must subdue the surrounding areas to get to the walls of the city right. The first battle for a city could be one of resources. PvEers could be outside the rule set for PvP thus the game would attract the PvE community and the game would then become much more attractive to a vastly larger player base. 
    Your vision is not the vision of the people making the game. There will be competition for resources going on all the time, not just during sieges. People will be fighting over those resources. There won't be any safe places in a campaign. There won't be players in a campaign who can't be attacked. 

They aren't trying to attract the PvE community. They aren't trying to attract a vastly larger player base. By their own words, this is intended to be a niche game for PvPers. The PvE activities that exist in the game are there only to support and promote PvP.

If you want to play Crowfall and be completely safe from attack, you can stay in the Eternal Kingdoms and try to be a crafter/trader. If you join a campaign, you will be fair game to anyone not in your faction and/or guild.

As stated above, there will be campaign worlds that are purely factional based PvP where giant largely safe zones exist ala EvE Corp space.
    Those aren't safe zones. You aren't safe just because you are in lands controlled by your faction. Sure, you can hide inside a keep that your faction controls and you are safe until another faction lays siege to it, but as soon as you step outside those walls you are fair game. 

When a campaign first starts, there won't be anywhere to hide, as your forts and keeps will be in a state of ruin. You'll have to help get materials from POIs to rebuild those structures before they offer any real safety. There will be competition between all the factions for those materials.

It's really not like EvE Corp space at all. You can eventually add NPC guards to your forts and keeps, but they won't be a significant deterrent to attackers.
    The Factional PvP areas have more content built up in them from what they have said, like a basic town
    JamesGoblinYashaX

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• OnodrimOnodrim Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited October 2017
    xpiher said:
    Arkade99 said:
    xpiher said:
    Arkade99 said:
    Palladin said:

The Factional PvP areas have more content built up in them from what they have said, like a basic town

Hey  X ... I remember you from either DF or Warhammer (maybe both) ... anyway you always seem to know what's up. What are your thoughts on this game vs Camelot Unchained?

BTW I probably went by chronicpain or Chronicburn and if you saw me in forums I was probably flaming crappy devs :0)

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Progression in Crowfall will not be about grinding or PVE at all. There are other games coming to focus on that.

Progression in Crowfall will be about the accumulation of wealth, secrets and political power. Just like EVE.

Once you have enough wealth, know enough secrets and are owed enough political favors, others will fight for you. You can pay them to fight for you, blackmail them to fight for you, trick them to fight for you or just plain ORDER them to fight for you. Nothing guarantees loyalty, but a big bank account always helps.

JamesGoblinMikehaSarla

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.