Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player's Choice Awards - The Best MMO of 2016 a Awards at MMORPG.com

Comments

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    edited January 2017
    Never thought I'd say this, but Legion gets the nod from me. It's a solid expansion in a very sad year for MMOs.

Joined - July 2004

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Leiloni said:

Also there's a little typo in the article title. You have an extra "a" in there after 2016:

The Best MMO of 2016 a Awards at MMORPG.com

That's a lame fault of the website. Take a look @meddle?

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78
    ESO for me, closely followed by FFXIV, with an honorable mention to GW2.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Grakulen said:

pyroburn said:

So how much did you get paid to feature these games... The list seems light on actual, you know, good games... SWTOR? Seriously? Blade and Soul? AC is dead in the water....

Please list some good alternatives? We can't just make up games out of thin air.

While I understand that, I do notice that from the list of the top pages list of the most popular games for the last year not all the top 10 titles are listed, so that does seem like a bit of an oversight.

Those games are mainly decided by pageclicks on associated content. Not real popularity, and also not chosen by the staff.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• chareokchareok Member UncommonPosts: 9
    aherons call was my first real mmo and a massive addiction for a few years so nostalgia wins for me
  • sarielissarielis Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Had to go with ESO best MMO out there right now
  • keyviskeyvis Member UncommonPosts: 8
    WildStar
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Wildstar, loving the changes and can't wait for that next patch.
  • rage89rage89 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I chose farewell to asherons call, not because it was better than any of these other mmos i just have more fond memories with it than the others. if it wasnt on the list though i would probably go with final fantasy 14 being the best mmorpg out there in my view (from encounters. non combat activities and of course the armory system). really love the one character to play them all system instead of having to make 100 alts then get them bags. go through boring story with them each blah blah blah.
  • CyryusCyryus Member UncommonPosts: 9
    only played age of conan and DDO, kinda started on TSW but it didn't hook me up, neither Tree of savior or Gloria victis that i was waiting for them...
    from allof them i only had fun playing age of conan, was my fav mmo but the current state of the game is so bad that i rather see it dead.

Planetside 2 in other hand has coming with very nice updates, so, i vote for planetside2, but is not the kind of game i would call MMORPG
  • esobaiteresobaiter Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited January 2017
    ESO, has grown by leaps and bounds since its launch and constantly has new updates and content. And what most impressive is that they actually listen to players and make game changes based on player feedback. I would call it the most rounded MMO out there right now.

As far as PvE, the lore and storytelling quests is miles ahead of any other MMO, there is just so many quests full of intriguing lore and stories to this game its insane. Then you have 28 4man dungeons and 4 12man trials a solo trial and a 4man trial. You can also group up for any quest other than the main questline. So if you like group content and teaming up then this game has alot for you to do.

Its PvP is prob not in the best state due to lag and some OP gear sets that are 1-2shotting people but other than that its pretty solid and has some great large open world battles. It really is amazing, some of these huge battles with like 100-200 people, but you better have good internet and computer or you will die by lag or game crash. If they could just fix the lag then PvP would be sooo much more fun without having to worry about crashing due to large battles.

Honorable mention goes to The Secret World
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I voted other. I have played many of these MMO's this year, but the only MMO to hold my attention is WoW Elysium Project (Vanilla WoW). It is staggering how much better of a game this is than any game on the market. That is my opinion of course.

I love the fact that leveling is slow, you get a nice drop at level 7 you will have that piece for a few hours and because questing is hard it makes a difference to your survivablity.

You die alot while questing in PvE. This is different than any other MMO on the market.

The world is alive. Tons of players at every level. All the servers are packed. Can make questing tough but people just group up if you are competing for kills.

For the love of god NO Looking for Dungeon/Raid Tool. The single best thing about this game. As dps it takes about 3 minutes to get a group. No queuing and sitting around. People talk to each other in dungeons and is a much more social game.
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    For me, no game beats ArcheAge. For somebody who isn't interested in combat and just enjoys role playing, farming, housing, economy, there is just no other game in the world that can touch it.

It's the best, most unique MMO I've ever played!
  • arvinsarvins Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Almost afraid to mention it here, but I currently having a real good time in ArcheAge 3.0. I know its not perfect, some call it pay to win. But I actually like it.
  • BenezettaBenezetta Member UncommonPosts: 94
    DAoC on the Uthgard emu shard.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    vtravi said:
    I voted other. I have played many of these MMO's this year, but the only MMO to hold my attention is WoW Elysium Project (Vanilla WoW). It is staggering how much better of a game this is than any game on the market. That is my opinion of course.

I love the fact that leveling is slow, you get a nice drop at level 7 you will have that piece for a few hours and because questing is hard it makes a difference to your survivablity.

You die alot while questing in PvE. This is different than any other MMO on the market.

The world is alive. Tons of players at every level. All the servers are packed. Can make questing tough but people just group up if you are competing for kills.

For the love of god NO Looking for Dungeon/Raid Tool. The single best thing about this game. As dps it takes about 3 minutes to get a group. No queuing and sitting around. People talk to each other in dungeons and is a much more social game.
    That's what a slow paced Old School game is about.
    People that call this Nostalgia simply don't understand that this has nothing to do with it, Old School games mechanics were more engaging and rewarding something you can hardly find in modern MMOs.
    Though I am not playing on any of those Rogue Servers, I am still hopeful that Blizzard will eventually give in and make those Legacy Servers people are asking about.

• GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262
    The only game I am currently playing is The Division. So I'd have to vote for that.
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Sadly, the title did not say "NEW MMORPG" :/
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Mitara said:
    Already covered in a previous poll, resulted in BDO being listed against mostly non MMORPGS so it was pretty much no contest.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Benezetta said:
    DAoC on the Uthgard emu shard.
    Agreed, except it launched in 2017 so can't qualify this year.  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Kyleran said:
    Mitara said:
    Already covered in a previous poll, resulted in BDO being listed against mostly non MMORPGS so it was pretty much no contest.
    Yet BDO is doing pretty well in a more competitive poll being in reaching distance to second place, proving that all the drama around the previous poll was unjustified as BDO seems generally pretty popular regardless of what the detractors might think.

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited January 2017
    ste2000 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Mitara said:
    Yet BDO is doing pretty well in a more competitive poll being in reaching distance to second place, proving that all the drama around the previous poll was unjustified as BDO seems generally pretty popular regardless of what the detractors might think.

I don't think people disagreed that BDO is "popular", they just agreed that BDO won that poll due to no competition at all. Let's be honest, 2016 was by far the weakest year for the new MMORPGs (othervise it was a pretty good year for the existing ones).

I mean if you'd put ESO on that poll, it would win with ~70-80% of all Votes, so yeah. Besides let's wait and see where is BDO going to be in the next 2 years. ESO is winning this poll for the 3rd year straight, I just don't think BDO will keep on improving that much (and yes it badly needs improvements if it wants to compete!).
  • KaiexorKaiexor Member CommonPosts: 1
    ESO yesterday, today, tomorrow... ESO forever :D
    But no jokes, ESO, for me, it's the most complete MMO in the market. I hope more people give it a try...
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Voted other as in a blank vote. I didn't play any released MMO during 2016.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.