Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you wish Nintendo would get out of the hardware business and become a publisher?

GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
edited January 2017 in Polls
Would you rather they stopped trying to make innovative hardware and just focused on getting amazing games to the masses on the Playstation and XBox?

Comments

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Not that I care about Zelda but I do care about exclusives in the gaming business. It's not good and it doesn't work on savvy consumers.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I was never into Nintento. My life went on from Spectrum to Commodore 64 then Amiga 500, 2000 then IBM. 
    But I got all the Playstations and loved them in a chronological matter. So yeah, I prefer to play the rest of them console games on the same platform as well. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Yes. Can't believe the massive library they have that rots away unplayed.

Such a waste.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    SalmonMan said:
    Yes. Can't believe the massive library they have that rots away unplayed.

Such a waste.
    That was definitely the case with Wii U.
  • MeleconMelecon Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I wish they stay int he HW game for the Handhelds (but even as I type this they are going the way of the dodo with Tablets). Other then that I would love for Nintendo to be a publisher for the New consoles.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    I like most of there hardware and the games that play on it. Anything else and I use my PC.
  • tadams2tonetadams2tone Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I would.  I hate having to pick up their systems for one or two games I am just not willing to miss.  Basically bought a Wii-U just to play Xenoblade X.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    No, IMO the only console that has a right to exist is Nintendo with games like Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda ect.

Xbox and PS have to vanish! They are just mini PCs for lazy gamers. :D
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    I liked the early Zelda games, didn't touch any new ones for a number of years, and then tried Twilight Princess. It was awful, so I've given up on Zelda other than the early classics.

I want to see an official, AAA Pokemon MMORPG.  And I don't mean Pokemon Go.  The entire premise of Pokemon is perfect for an MMORPG.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Wii-U was a disaster, we can all agree there.

Xbox/Playstation "competition" almost feels non-existent now. PC Master Race forever, nothing can compare. Only thing "original" to a sense is usually brought in by Nintendo.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Basically yes, as while their is a small agrument to be made for Nintendo hardware, with the exception of gimmicks (does BotW even have motions controls?), there is no reason they could not release their games for other systems and massively increase their sales (> greater profits > more investment > better games) in the process.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Nintendo should go the way of Sage. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well this is a loaded question.
    When you use a term like "STOP",it infers they have already been innovative which is far from the truth.

A handheld paddle using an operating system,visually on a screen,a puny screen at that,is setting us backwards not forwards.

All these console manufacturers are doing is the exact same thing over and over with a new skin,pretty much like all the game developers.

If they want to innovate something ,then create a NEW operating system so no licenses paid and transferred to users costs.Create a new way to play other than pushing buttons on a handheld which is no different than pressing keys on a keyboard.

The bottom line is console gaming is a gimmick to sell cheaper hardware with almost no upside,this is like Laptops versus towers,the ONLY difference being portability but sacrificing upside potential,it all adds up to INFERIOR gaming.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    No, mainly because the existence of Nintendo in hardware game actually pushed a lot of hardware innovation forward.

For example, it is their Wii console that forces Xbox to also release Kinect in order to compete in terms of innovation.

Nintendo historically seems to be be better at coming up with thinking out-of-the-box ideas than either Microsoft or Sony.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Long story short,i don't care one bit about publishing,nor even the platform,give me triple A quality gaming with no hand holding and no cash shop,that's it that's all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    The only consoles I own or play are Nintendo.   Everything else is PC gaming for me.  I love Nintendo and can't wait for the switch (I skipped the Wii U)

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    edited January 2017
    I would just like to see them get rid of this "closed doors" policy they've had for so long now.  They need to branch outwards and stop being so isolationist and niche with their products.

I should note:  I'm never going to own a Switch and have zero interest in it, but I'd still like to see them keep designing new things.
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Daikuru said:
    No, IMO the only console that has a right to exist is Nintendo with games like Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda ect.

Xbox and PS have to vanish! They are just mini PCs for lazy gamers. :D
    They may just be PC hardware under the hood (which is a good thing, as it makes games more compatible), but $300-400 (US) for a well built pre-packaged PC with a quality eco-system of games and services that you can easily plug straight into your TV is still a hell of a deal... if it wasn't Sony and MS doing it, someone else would be.

Nintendo hardware may be slightly unique (it's still just a computer with a controller and screen attached), but it is the number of games and especially the services (inc. playing DVDs) where they have seriously fallen behind in the last 20 years, and with the Wii U, struggled to even justify their existance. Things may turn around with the Switch, but it is a steep road, and so far it's still very much a 'wait and see'.
  • BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    edited January 2017
    Maybe wipe Nintendo of America and Treehouse and start anew. Too much censorship, worse than 90s era censorship.
    Worst censorship for English lolcalization and jokes instead of translations was Tokyo Mirage sessions. Followed by Fire emblem fates/birthrite/conquest.
    Then the removal of bust slider and fundoshi in Xenoblade chronicles... Why?

As for JP Nintendo, hmmm hard to tell if the people who made the SNES/64 greats are still around.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2017
    I feel like Nintendo makes the most obnoxious hardware out of any other hardware maker. I respect them for being daring, but at the same time something like the Switch blatantly deserves to be collecting dust in a closet of bad ideas that were later made better. I don't want to have to buy a POS to play a great game.

Just make games bruh.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited January 2017
    Switch seems kind of thrown together, but Nintendo is traditionally a leader in gaming hardware.  I expect them to make cool innovations in the future.

I mean, do we really want ps4/xbox to be the only console options?  Some half-assed computer with a controller?  That's been done to death.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Ille take the switch.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    They are creative with their tech, but they have tended to rely too much on hardware gimmicks with it while the overall performance suffers.

They kind of are already leaning away from building their own tech already though. They have released a few mobile games now, and on top of that the Switch was developed in collaboration with Nvidia (big reason the Switch is functionally the Shield 2).
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

As much as I have loved Nintendo, and I have owned every console starting with the NES, I'd like to see them at least start releasing games for PC as well. The more I ponder on the Switch the more irritated I get. The Wii-U could have been handled better. The utter lack of 3rd party support is killing their consoles. I don't see the Switch garnering a ton of 3rd party support either. I'm not sure if the mobility of the Switch is going to be enough to justify a purchase from the general public.

I'm pretty disillusioned at this point.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Yes so many Nintendo games that I would like to see on other platforms even the PC.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file