Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Laptop for MMOs

GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371
Just trying to look at picking up a laptop to play Archeage on. Any brands that people suggest looking into or models? Looking for something on the smaller side that is still able to run games.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    What's your budget?

Also, what's the usage model?  Is it plug it into the wall in a hotel and play games?  Do you hope to play games while running on the battery?  Are you going to need extended battery life while not gaming?
  • GrubbsGradyGrubbsGrady Member UncommonPosts: 371
    My budget is variable I guess. I'm looking for something that is good performance for the price- the less I can spend and still be able to play the game with a steady fps on something higher than minimum settings would be ideal.

Like to keep it no more than $1000.00, less is preferred. Again though if the $600 laptop is only slightly worse than the $1000.00 one I would go with the cheaper. If getting one for $1200.00 is putting me into an entirely new ballpark I can consider spending more. 

Usage: mostly plugged in hotel rooms or sitting in bed/at an airport. Want it to be portable, it doesnt need to run for a day on battery.

Thanks!
    Without looking too hard, if you get this, add Windows 10 and a second memory module, and swap the hard drive out for an SSD, it comes to a little over $900:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np5855-clevo-n855hj.html?startcustomization=1

I suspect that the monitor isn't very good, though.  Maybe someone else will find something better.
  • flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    edited January 2017
    Man  i gamed on laptops for a decade and the only thing i have used for gaming.  Went to consoles 2.5 years ago when i had my daughter to get away from MMOs but might comeback to computers.  The best thing i ever bought was an Alienware refurbished.  It blew anything else i had away and yes i know people say they are overpriced but you can get a refurbished one from Dell with a warranty and it will be better than any new laptop for about the same price.  I might be coming back to PC soon and that is exactly what i will buy.
    Post edited by flguy147 on
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited January 2017
    ok that gpu is suppose to be the same speed as the gtx 965m
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I just got an Alienware 17 R4. It has a 1070 gtx in it and a 4.1 CPU with 32 gb of RAM.

It runs everything flawlessly. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Archeage runs like bollocks on any machine that isn't a CPU beast, it doesn't matter how beastly your GPU is you WILL experience extreme frame drop anytime you're in any area where there is population. Your GPU will be sleeping like a baby and your frames will be in the low 30s.

With that said, playing "let's make a deal" in the laptop world isn't worth it. You either go hard or go home. Build a rig. If not, be absolutely ready to pay more than $1000.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I just got an Alienware 17 R4. It has a 1070 gtx in it and a 4.1 CPU with 32 gb of RAM.

What cpu and is the cpu running like 180F when gaming?
    I have an i7 laptop and the processors are build to run at 160-180F.  Its a real hassle when gaming you feel the finger tips literally burning.  IDK if all i7's are like that in laptops but I have had i5's that didn't do this.  But here's a solid build for 900$ with an i5 and gtx 1050

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154497

You can go for the 1050ti which is suppose to be a beast in the mobile market for a little extra.  1200$

The problem it has an i7 processor and they just scare me in a laptop right now.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154493

While that's probably a nice laptop, it's also over $2000, which means it's not in the same zip code as the requested budget.
    edited January 2017
    Archeage runs like bollocks on any machine that isn't a CPU beast, it doesn't matter how beastly your GPU is you WILL experience extreme frame drop anytime you're in any area where there is population. Your GPU will be sleeping like a baby and your frames will be in the low 30s.

With that said, playing "let's make a deal" in the laptop world isn't worth it. You either go hard or go home. Build a rig. If not, be absolutely ready to pay more than $1000.
    You can get pretty good CPU performance in a laptop these days.  The one I linked has a Kaby Lake Core i7 quad core with clock speeds that are pretty good for a laptop.  The GPU is a lot more problematic, as pretty good desktop GPUs are in the ballpark of 200 W rather than 65 W like a CPU.
    Just to give you an idea I have MSI ge apache pro with i7 5700hq  and gtx 960m playing archeage a lot right now.

I can run high settings around 48fps with gpu and cpu both 180F.   

I'm tempted to pull out my i5 laptop with integrated graphics and see what it does.  
    I understand performance under normal conditions, Archeage is a badly optimized mess though. 
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    You may want to consider picking up a light laptop that has thunderbolt 3.  This way, you can set up an external gpu that you keep at home - while also having a light laptop that carrying around for work or school.  This is the route i'm going to go for my next laptop.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I highly recommend a Sager laptop.  Made in the USA and tech support is in Cali.  I've had 4 total (2 each for my wife and myself).  I got 5+ years out of each with no hardware issues.  I only got a new one because I wanted a better one.  Not because it caused me issues of any kind.  In fact, I gave my old one to my niece ans she still plays on it today.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/home.php
    Ok I just tested it and normal settings archeage on an i7 laptop gets you about 50 fps with shadows turned off.  Integrated graphics.  The problem is the fps are constantly fluctuating.  So I can see as high as 120 and the next minute its dropped to 30.

When I run my gtx 960m I'm pulling a solid 60fps using the optimal settings from geforce experience which is equalivant to high settings.  When in the middle of big boss fights I'll give you an update I believe it drops down to 25 range.
    Yea just did a big boss fight and it dropped down to 35 lowest but kept fairly well around 45-55.
    I highly recommend a Sager laptop.  Made in the USA and tech support is in Cali.  I've had 4 total (2 each for my wife and myself).  I got 5+ years out of each with no hardware issues.  I only got a new one because I wanted a better one.  Not because it caused me issues of any kind.  In fact, I gave my old one to my niece ans she still plays on it today.

This one for 999$ looks sweet.  It even has the 1050 Ti beast.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP6852.html
    filmoret said:

This one for 999$ looks sweet.  It even has the 1050 Ti beast.

https://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP6852.html
    That comes to $1000 on the dot for a really slow 5400 RPM hard drive with no SSD, and also one memory channel left completely unused to cut your memory bandwidth in half.  Fix those problems and you're way over budget.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Quizzical said:
    That comes to $1000 on the dot for a really slow 5400 RPM hard drive with no SSD, and also one memory channel left completely unused to cut your memory bandwidth in half.  Fix those problems and you're way over budget.
    As far as gaming goes this shouldn't impact too badly. The loading screens will be long, the laptop will be more noisy but I doubt there is a better FPS per dollar alternative on the market.

Also @filmoret I am surprised it played AA so well! 30 FPS is not very comfortable but it certainly is playable.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

^ I always find it weird when people say that. 30fps in Archeage is miserable for me. The entire game becomes laggy, button presses and all. I don't know if it's the refresh rate of the displays I'm on (60hz or better). When a game is running at 60fps consistently it's just different.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯