Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is to blaime?

TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
edited January 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
People say games have changed, some people say communities in games have changed, some say its a bit of both.

I will make an example of a current issue in one of the games I play.

In WoW there has been an increase of incidents where people for no particular reason are kicked from groups. This happens in 5 man content in particular, both the easy lowlvl dungeons and the current more challenging Mythic + dungeons.

In the lowlvl dungeons the reasons can be many, low dps, kicked, no heirlooms, kicked, say hi, kicked, need afk for 1 min, kicked.
Naturally there are also the more valid reason why people can be removed, if they are offline for awhile or a bot has clawed their way into the dungeon or people going rage tantrum to the extreme.

So there are both valid and the less valid reasons to remove people.

A newer tendency is that people simply just kick for the fun of it.

Or the more indirect reason, which is my own personal guess, is that a crowd are kicking people to prove a point, that the dungeons /votekick system is pretty bad.

Blizzard redesigned the dungeons so xp is only really gained after killing last boss, so the fun thing to do is to kick people right before that one.

Of course accounting for time spent in a queue, + time doing the dungeon and then people being removed at the end, could and does annoy quite a few people.  

Personally I have been involved in dungeons where these things happen every now and then, its not every dungeon, but every 5 or so dungeons, Id say. 
 My own personal regret is that voting no, very very rarely leads to saving people from random votekicks.
But that is another story.

Then we have mythics, where the new fun thing to do is to take a group hostage. Groups for mythic + have to be made manually and can only be completed with the same 5 people who entered the dungeon from the start.
 The new trend is for tanks to stop the pulling at last boss and ask for gold, where upon they let the timer run out, so people wont get their acces to chests, if they do not pay up. (Granted this transaction can only be made between people on same server).

However all these things above can seem horrible and reason enough to not do group content.

But I am also playing other MMORPGs, where these things actually does not happen or I have maybe been extremely lucky, that I cant say.

This is not to lash out at WoW in particular, but the differences in communities are noticeable.

But who is to blame?

As in if we find the reason and the source for the above things happening, would it be possible to find solutions?

If we go by the idea some people share, that some games have a much more unpleasant crowd of people playing, then we maybe have to realise, that these games will not last forever.

If we then claim that its entirely a certain crowds fault, then we will have the same crowd incoming into new games?.

Are developers prepared for that?
 Are we?  

So who or what is to blame, how do we find the source?

And can we prepare for this in future games, where we would like to relive like "old times" with a different kind of community? 

I know a lot of you will lash out at things like LFD and LFR tools, but I will have to mention, that these things happens both within and outside these grouping tools.

So what do we do?
Can we do anything? 

I know developers always have these things as a concern, but the issue I see, is that several similar MMORPGs can have the same tools, yet in one game they are abused, in another they are not.

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I blame the snowflake generation. Seriously.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    Can only blame the people. If someone is a dickhead, there is nothing anyone can do to prevent them being a dickhead, short of having them killed. That's not a good route to go down!

All the developers can do is attempt to build a game that discourages dickheads and encourages positive behaviour. As we're talking about anti-social behaviour, that means designing a game where positive social interaction is encouraged and negative social interactions are discouraged. Getting rid of LFR/LFG tools is one big way forwards in that regard. Putting more emphasis on grouping early on would help. Removing all cross-server tools would help. 

Sadly, building a game where being social in a positive way is the focus goes against most market research. Most gamers seem to want solo activities with grouping being as convenient as possible. This means social responsibility just isn't a priority. 

In the early days of lotro, there was tons of group content, some of it "forced". There were no group finders or anything like that, no cross server stuff. This meant that your reputation mattered. Ninja looters and general dickheads became quickly known on our server and shunned from all groups, effectively forcing them out of the game or forcing them to change their ways. 
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    And people wonder why MMORPG's have become solo-player games with entirely optional (and mostly avoided) group content ?

Who is to blame ? The players are.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I blame gearscore. Just another method of rationalized, acceptable discrimination. Like regional origin jokes. Not like anyone can choose to be born in the north, or the south.
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

You know, something that might help with this is a system that allows players to tag other players as a "jerk" or a "nice guy" or something like that.  Not a general up or down vote that everyone can see but just for your own character/account. 

So when you look at that character or even just see his name in chat there would be some obvious visual indicator that you tagged him negatively or positively in the past; like his name appearing red for negative or silver for positive or something like that.

You could then take it further and make it so players could set a filter on the group finder tool so that they wouldn't be matched with anyone they have tagged negatively.  In this way the people who make a habit of being jerks would gradually find their pool of potential grouping partners shrinking. 

As a way of giving feedback you could let players see in their character stats how many other players have tagged them negatively and how many have tagged them positively.

I dunno, just a thought.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Problem is societies telling people that you can act like crap towards each other with no consequences.  Add on top of that the fact people are hidden behind the internet and you have a recipe for disaster.
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    edited January 2017
    TENTING said:

Then we have mythics, where the new fun thing to do is to take a group hostage. Groups for mythic + have to be made manually and can only be completed with the same 5 people who entered the dungeon from the start.
     The new trend is for tanks to stop the pulling at last boss and ask for gold, where upon they let the timer run out, so people wont get their acces to chests, if they do not pay up. (Granted this transaction can only be made between people on same server).
    You know that this behavior is forbidden, right ?
    Report them and they will have to explain why they act like asshole scammers to a GM.

I understand the premise of your suggestion, which appear to be a personal suggestion to me specifically, rather than a general suggestion to the overall wider phenomenon.

Because it seems directed to me, I will try to give insight to how I handle these things, which in some way I do realise can contribute to the issues we are facing.

When I log into a MMORPG, I want to relax and just play the game. I dont want issues with people who act controversial in terms of group play.
     I admit this is naive to believe possible at all times, so in moderation I and many others I assume, compromise to a certain degree.
     We allow a certain amount of unwanted presence.

Over time the "unwanted" content from people, who find new ways to annoy their fellow human beings, has increased.
     And so the compromises made becomes more frequent, as we adjust to the circumstances.

This has over time lead to actually not reporting a whole lot, to the point of not reporting at all.

Would games be overall better, if we reported every offence (that is often after all very subjective)?

And if we did, is there a guarantee that a GM would in fact help with the off key crowd?

I think a large issue atm might be that people have in fact been reporting a lot of people, but they have noticed the issues does not go away and they have given up?

Are we who have to police others when logging into a game, that we'd just like to enjoy, meant to be the ones taking time off to write reports?

I can not judge whether we really need to engage our self to such a degree, that a game session is meant to be broken up every now and then, to focus on a person, who already made the game a less nice experience.

On the other hand, I am in no way saying that the responsibility does not overall include us all on all sides of the fence, and in that regard you raise a fair point, also worth of discussion.

And I can easily see myself as part of the issue spreading since some of us simply stopped reporting.

But I believe we stopped doing so, because we saw that it does not work and we turn into the fools for trying?    

• CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    It's a combo of the entitlement generation and the bitter old vets.  It really depends which game you play to determine which one of the cancerous groups you run into.  

I mean look at this website everyday you have bitter old vets complaining about something, they are a big reason more gamers don't come to sites like this and the games forums. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I venture to say most of us bitter old vets are the nicer folks you'll actually meet in a game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited January 2017
    Me, it was all my doing... And I almost got away with it to, if it weren't for those meddling kids and their dog.
    Post edited by Distopia on

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited January 2017
    Distopia said:
    Me, it was all my doing... And I almost got away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids and their dog.

Perfect ;) 

Now that you confessed, all we need now is for you to cover 12 years of lost subs from estimated 25 millions players who left WoW because of you >:)  

I say 25 millions, cause the last accounted total lost subs was around 100 millions? And Im sure they did not all! leave only because of you.

So I'll let Blizz be kind to you, will let you slip by only covering for the 25 mill subs!

Seems fair =)
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited January 2017
    Can only blame the people. If someone is a dickhead, there is nothing anyone can do to prevent them being a dickhead, short of having them killed.
    I agree with Cameltosis here! Time to install self-destruct devices and the /assassinate *name* command in games.. That'll learn em!!

I.. am.. kidding.. (mostly).. (no, seriously.. I am kidding).. I purposely cut the quote short for comedy.. The answer to the question is people.. People with near-total anonymity and zero care about etiquette.. The only way to regain any form of civilized social interaction is for Devs to enforce hard and fast rules.. Tough ones, but fair ones.. And to be up front with the desire to create a decent environment and how penalties are implemented and why..

Will this be liked? Definitely not by many (especially those who view the right to be an @SS as some sort of god-given one).. Others would breath a sigh of relief.. Its a calculated gamble though for a Dev, since you have to risk potential loss of customers versus creating a happier environment..

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I think it actually comes down to scamming people. Hear me out as its not actually about scamming.

In the old days, you could scam people for their items, since every item was tradeable. I remember there was a scammer in Asheron's Call, to trade at the time you'd have to drop item on ground and other person does the same. This was a very big scam technique there. Well, I had rare armor, traded with him, he ran up and picked it up and ran back to his item (because his run speed was faster than mine) and I was left with nothing.

In WoW, early on, you could "fake" pricing of items on the Auction House. You could get 10s of thousands of gold that way on a junk item, which was a LOT back then.

This leads me to my main point. When people did this, or were rude to the community or were douchebags or whatever, you'd be blacklisted on that server. Everywhere you go, no one would want to trade, group or do anything with you. Become a scammer in Asheron's Call? Even go to other servers (at the time) and no one still would want anything to do with you. Be a douche in a group in WoW? Again, the entire server begins to hate you no matter where you go.

People actually were more careful, nicer, when there was a threat of scamming or being rude to the community. 

Now, look at EVE. Its scam person paradise. Yet, the community overall (except goonsquad is a plague of stupid, upon any game they touch) is better for it. Become a known scammer? Suddenly you are hunted down, bounties and no one wants anything to do with you except other scammers/pirates. Other people rally behind each other to take down the scammer. What if EVE had no scamming? Well, suddenly no one would care about being douchebags or being rude to people. The community would become very terrible, like WoW community turned into. Everyone would suddenly care only about themselves, instead of others.

On top of that. Grouping would be non-existent, and if people did group, group members would kill each other. Why? Because there would be no common cause to work with each other, no threat of being scammed and suddenly everyone is only out for themselves instead of looking out to their friends or other people.

That is my thoughts anyway.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    IDK man I have no scientific evidence but I have the distinct impression that ratio of nasty asshats in online games has steadily increased since the early days.

This is obviously because __________ (insert pet theory about game design or human behavior here.)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Honestly I think it's more about the increased popularity and visibility of MMOs over time. Back when they started the overall community was smaller and there was, in general, sort of a sense of community just from the fact that you played an MMO. Now these games are known in the general public and have been featured on popular shows and there are huge advertisements in real life. This pulls a much larger variety of people and sort of diminishes the general feeling of community and that's before you even consider how a game's system may reinforce this.
    edited January 2017
    When reading some of your responses, I cant help but wonder if bugged games actually have a bigger chance of succes.

Bugs creates a common "enemy" which allows people to play with their own creativity to overcome.

The old games were full of bugs and now that it has crossed my mind, I have to say I love ESOs bugs.
    I hope they never fix them.

Whereas polished games are boring?

Of course if a game is only bugs, its too much, but a few bugs here and there, gives a game some personality?

Unfinished thought of course, but still, maybe a common "enemy thing" has a relevance.

And we have enough people volunteering for the role as "idiot". In a sense we will never really run out of these kinds of people to lean up against to build our community of "We are certainly not idiots" (Because we agree that the other guy over there is our spank toy.)

Maybe WoW has been such a huge succes for so many years, simply because it has so many arbitrary gamers who gets bored a lot. 

It turns a few things upside down, but I dont mind exploring many ideas personally, though I understand if my train of thought might come off as a bit "out in space". O.o

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    My short story ...hmmm

I remember the days when everyone was saying they want to game to have fun and not feel like it is a job.
    So what do gamer's do now?They religiously enter raid after raid for some virtual items that have absolutely no value at all.They are not even your virtual items,they will always belong to the developer.

People have so forgotten what gaming should be about,especially online gaming and the reason it became so popular in the first place.To meet like minded people to share the adventure online,perhaps to gain new friends.Instead it has become a selfish cult,what supreme loot can i get for myself today and who can i get to help me get it.I still remember being told off by group members because i was taking my time trying to help the healer who did not understand how to do a macro.Everyone in a rush,nobody cares about the other person unless that person can help that selfish player.

The whole idea of mmo+rpg has been left somewhere in the past,fun,where is it,people are treating these games like a job.It is so bad,we don't even know what a mmorpg is anymore,is it a form of gaining level numbers? Now it is all raiding,esport or advertising in a work like manner....welcome to  the deteriorating world of gaming.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I remember when the group kick was introduced during Wotlk it was abused because people wanted the loot for their friends and that hasn't really changed. Whenever you join a group and they are all the same guild or same server it's your best bet to just leave and not take any chances. I hate to be one of those guys who says to make friends and join a guild but if you're serious about the stuff you mentioned it is probably the best way to go.

In this day & age it may be just a griefing thing because kids go to malls now to fight each other so I really don't know what is what anymore.
    BruceYee said:
    I remember when the group kick was introduced during Wotlk it was abused because people wanted the loot for their friends and that hasn't really changed. Whenever you join a group and they are all the same guild or same server it's your best bet to just leave and not take any chances. I hate to be one of those guys who says to make friends and join a guild but if you're serious about the stuff you mentioned it is probably the best way to go.

In this day & age it may be just a griefing thing because kids go to malls now to fight each other so I really don't know what is what anymore.

Feel you.

And guilds can be great. I am in a great guild myself and there are usually people to do these things with. Also I think I must have a like for self harm, cause I dont mind pugging at all. Maybe less these days due to the repetitive content, but prior I have never minded.

The issue is that while I persist and keep sticking around in WoW, people keep dropping out like flies, from guilds and the servers overall, often with the complaint that guilds are empty and or not social at all, and the community is awful.
     And these are often also people who have also been around for years, but who just finally have had enough.
    And new players seems to just dip toes and then they are gone again.

But despite the issues in WoW, its still my "home", but I cant stop people from leaving and I cant stop the reasons they are either.

Watching how people are exiting, I realise it will be my turn sooner or later and for a new MMORPG to become a succes, we kind of need a community that will stick with it.

How to do that, I dont know, cause its like none of us really understands what is going on and in turn we are not learning from our mistakes either.

But at the end of the day, we just end up adjusting to what ever comes anyway. :)

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Can only blame the people. If someone is a dickhead, there is nothing anyone can do to prevent them being a dickhead, short of having them killed. That's not a good route to go down!

All the developers can do is attempt to build a game that discourages dickheads and encourages positive behaviour. As we're talking about anti-social behaviour, that means designing a game where positive social interaction is encouraged and negative social interactions are discouraged. Getting rid of LFR/LFG tools is one big way forwards in that regard. Putting more emphasis on grouping early on would help. Removing all cross-server tools would help. 

Sadly, building a game where being social in a positive way is the focus goes against most market research. Most gamers seem to want solo activities with grouping being as convenient as possible. This means social responsibility just isn't a priority. 

In the early days of lotro, there was tons of group content, some of it "forced". There were no group finders or anything like that, no cross server stuff. This meant that your reputation mattered. Ninja looters and general dickheads became quickly known on our server and shunned from all groups, effectively forcing them out of the game or forcing them to change their ways. 
    Pretty much /thread. Until games do away with anonymity (mega/cross servers), create highly cooperative content and leave it up to players to work together and maintain a good reputation, the social aspect of games will continue to deteriorate.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited January 2017
    I think to a certain extend both. The meta has changed from, say, EQ grouping to LFD grouping. When you had to form and maintian groups from one unchanging pool of people more tact was required as known aholes, unless a GM or officer, had a harder time progressing. You did still have a "gear requirement" though because being under geared unless a DPS could get the group killed.

Would be interesting to go back in time and put old EQ players into LFD conditions and see if they acted more like jerks. If I was to place weight on one or the other though I'd say the new meta conditions are more the culprit. Put the community in a place where attitude can inhibit progression and I think the effects would be noticeable.
    Dullahan said:

Pretty much /thread. Until games do away with anonymity (mega/cross servers), create highly cooperative content and leave it up to players to work together and maintain a good reputation, the social aspect of games will continue to deteriorate.

Im not saying you are wrong in any way.

I am just curious, cause it seems to be, that the harder the content in a game gets, the more fighting occur between people? 
     Maybe I am understanding things through a wrong perspective, but that is what it looks like to me.
    The harder fights, the more kicking and the more divided a community seems to get?
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    TENTING said:
    Dullahan said:

I am just curious, cause it seems to be, that the harder the content in a game gets, the more fighting occur between people? 
     Maybe I am understanding things through a wrong perspective, but that is what it looks like to me.
    The harder fights, the more kicking and the more divided a community seems to get?
    I think this is actually really true.

I play on a RP PVE server on WoW, and the community is amazing. Granted, its Moonguard, and Elwynn is...uh...just avoid it. Outside of that one little zone, there is RP all over (actual RP, not...ERP...). The community is really friendly. Same is true for Wyrmstooth Accord, the other "big" RP PVE server.

Go on a "hardcore" PvP server, or/and where all the top raiders are? Suddenly the community becomes VERY toxic. Its like a night and day difference. 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2017
    TENTING said:
    Dullahan said:

I think this is actually really true.

I play on a RP PVE server on WoW, and the community is amazing. Granted, its Moonguard, and Elwynn is...uh...just avoid it. Outside of that one little zone, there is RP all over (actual RP, not...ERP...). The community is really friendly. Same is true for Wyrmstooth Accord, the other "big" RP PVE server.

Go on a "hardcore" PvP server, or/and where all the top raiders are? Suddenly the community becomes VERY toxic. Its like a night and day difference. 
    I think the effect is certainly logical, but I have reservations that difficult of content is the culprit.

Competition is.  Specifically in the PvP server example, direct competition between players breeds an "us vs. them" mentality that naturally leads to conflict.  Raiding is, indirectly, affected by this "us vs. them" mindset as well.  This effect is more pronounced the more dedicated an individual is to furthering their own (and their guild's own) interests' at the exclusion of others'.

The PvE server removes all (or almost all) competition.  The lack of focus on high-end raiding means there's less competition to be "first" or outfit yourself, your alts, and all of your guildmates in those spiffy epics.  Roleplaying generally is a cooperative effort, too (even when you are roleplaying a character hostile towards another player), which blunts the effect.

I believe competition is the true culprit here.  It doesn't force toxicity; don't get me wrong.  Simply put: as a dark, humid space provides ample breeding grounds for mold, so does competition produce ample breeding grounds for toxicity.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    TENTING said:
    Dullahan said:

Level of challenge is largely irrelevant. If players are able to mistreat others with no consequences or chance of a negative reputation impacting them later, they will do so. The fact that it occurs in a game with steeper skill checks or gear checks only brings it to the surface, and is a symptom of that bigger problem. The same solution applies whether the game or content is easy and super casual, or hardcore.