Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nostalrius Devs Ask New Server Hosts to Stop Using Code - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    So it seems that Blizzard has threatened the Nost team(since Blizzard doesn't have any other real legal options).
    The question here is whether Elysium will help out their fellow human beings(Nost team) or bullshit their way out of this by saying that they refuse to yield to threats or whatever crap they can make up.

To be honest before I was kinda unhappy with the hypocrisy Blizzard was showing. Pretending that they care, inviting the Nost team when they obviously couldn't care less about them and all the Vanilla fans. Now however... stealthy threats... now that's just outright disgusting.

• FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Honestly, I'd like to give them props for sticking it to the man and all.

But they called Blizzards bluff when blizzard was holding a full house. Ballsy, but not really a smart move. This is America, telling a multi-billion dollar company to go blow isn't a good idea. Sure you wont get disappeared like other places in the world, but good luck getting a job, or a loan, or anything really.

Blizzard will tie them up in court until the lawyer fee's bankrupt them, then hang a picture of them flipping burgers up in the board room.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    Shutting down the legacy servers won't make Blizzard a better game developer... won't make them richer... won't gain them anything but a bad reputation.  Apparently that is what they want... a bad reputation.

Oh, to put this in a little perspective... it's like evicting every foreign national out of the country because they weren't born here.  It's their legal right to do it... and yet so few actually do it.  I wonder why....
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    10% my ass.. I played on Nost before Blizz did what they did, and played when Elysium took over.. Soooo many people playing on the server, you had to wait for respawns to compete every quest.. a skinner could make a shit ton of gold selling leather, and never kill 1 mob.. corpses everywhere.. at peak times you would even see a short que... the new Nost felt exactly the same as the old Nost.. :(
    Short queue? You have not checked the server recently, have you.

My friend is playing there and he usually has around 10k people in front of him in the queue when hes logging in :D
    Yep the queues were up to 10k and they opened another server.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/01/13/elysium-opens-up-yet-another-nostalrius-server/

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• doug200463doug200463 Member UncommonPosts: 46

Nilden said:

10% my ass.. I played on Nost before Blizz did what they did, and played when Elysium took over.. Soooo many people playing on the server, you had to wait for respawns to compete every quest.. a skinner could make a shit ton of gold selling leather, and never kill 1 mob.. corpses everywhere.. at peak times you would even see a short que... the new Nost felt exactly the same as the old Nost.. :(

Short queue? You have not checked the server recently, have you.

My friend is playing there and he usually has around 10k people in front of him in the queue when hes logging in :D

Yep the queues were up to 10k and they opened another server.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/01/13/elysium-opens-up-yet-another-nostalrius-server/

Was talking about the PvE server.. I could careless about PvP :/
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    btdt said:
    Shutting down the legacy servers won't make Blizzard a better game developer... won't make them richer... won't gain them anything but a bad reputation.  Apparently that is what they want... a bad reputation.

Oh, to put this in a little perspective... it's like evicting every foreign national out of the country because they weren't born here.  It's their legal right to do it... and yet so few actually do it.  I wonder why....
    very few give a crap about the reputation this would cause.  Very few even know it is happening.  A little perspective....
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Horusra said:
    btdt said:

very few give a crap about the reputation this would cause.  Very few even know it is happening.  A little perspective....
    It is not a question of trying to look good or about reputation Blizzard have to protect their rights or they will suffer this problem across their games because of their inaction.

Who here actually believes that whitewash about a new code though ?

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    "Over the course of the next several weeks we will discontinue use of the Nostalrius core. By then, we will have completed Anathema, which will be equal to or superior to the Nostalrius core. "

And all i read is... "we will by then reverse engineered the reverse engineer and stripped it of all we can use anyway... But we will try to sell it as if we are good guys"

At least be upfront with it lads...

This have been a good conversation

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    kitarad said:
    The new code: "ctrl-c - ctrl-v"
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2017
    SBFord said:
    There are no words really. I do wonder what type of thumb screws they've been subjected to by Blizzard? 
    They had the power. They gave it away. Now they want it back. Oh the irony.
    This is how I felt when I saw this.

They are not going after the new guys what about what they already facilitated.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    This is laughable, what a bunch of immature children.
    ''by asking the Elysium team and community to stop using the Nost code, they are hopeful that the damage and the new identification as pirates can be reversed''

This part made me chuckle. If it walks like a duck.....

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2017
    kitarad said:
    Well there is new code, old code and some other code.

The new code takes "current WoW" and converts its to "old WoW"; Blizzard have said the code for old WoW does not exist and its a "big job" for them to do "properly" etc. So this is new.

The old code is WoW that players - presumably have bought etc. - and are running. Now should they be running it whilst not paying a sub to Blizzard? When Nost were running the servers Blizzard could have demanded that they provide details of their users so individuals in theory could be targeted ... but going forward not going to be an option. And I would expect any and all records to be wiped in a few weeks.  

The other code is the network stuff that connects players to the server. This could be "Blizzard code" but its not unique - in the sense that lots of games pass info from PCs to servers and back - so it probably is new.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Damage has already been done. Perhaps the Nost team has learned a valuable lesson about letting their emotions get the better of them.
    --------------------------------------------
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Rhoklaw said:
    /snip
    I'm not saying what they did was right, because we all know it isn't legal,
    /snip
    Just this and it's more than enough to be against what Nost and now this new outfit has done. Unless it's not okay anymore to advocate following the law? You can complain all you want to that Blizzard is not providing what some players want but it's their product to do with what they want. I can understand the romanticism of the situation here but at the core is exactly what you yourself said. It's illegal.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited January 2017
    The figures are about 30 thousand over 4 realms which means about 120 thousand in total if we are generous. Is that really a decent size community for Blizzard to bother with ? They would be better off trying to get the 100 million who quit WoW over the last 12 years. Besides most of those are playing Overwatch and the other game  ;)
    Chamber of Chains
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    cheyane said:
    The figures are about 30 thousand over 4 realms which means about 120 thousand in total if we are generous. Is that really a decent size community for Blizzard to bother with ? They would be better off trying to get the 100 million who quit WoW over the last 12 years.
    Also, most people playing is because its "free". So being generous with 120 thousand, the vast majority wouldn't play classic WoW if blizzard made it, because they wouldn't pay for it.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    typical of an "bully"

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I guess it's Blizzard's move next.

Anyone that thinks they'll just shrug and admit defeat doesn't understand how the world works...
    TheJoda said:
    typical of an "bully"
    I think blizzard has a sign that says 

Image result for bite me sign
    Chamber of Chains
    edited January 2017
    Martin Shkrell tried to take advantage of a drug that treated a serious illness and overpriced it lumping  Blizzard with him is a bit too much and trying to compare the two I have to wonder at you. That fellow is not even human in my book.
    Chamber of Chains
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Rhoklaw said:
    Torval said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    While everyone focuses on the witch hunt because that's what humans are best at. You are all easily distracted from the original point of all this. Vanilla WoW is a wanted product and Blizzard has shown no shits given to provide such a product and yet here you all are, poking your pitchforks at the only people willing to give "some" players a product they want.

I'm not saying what they did was right, because we all know it isn't legal, but at the same time, people should boycott Blizzard for being even bigger asshats by ignoring a fairly decent size community. Especially with the fact the cost to run such a server is a drop in the bucket.

So who truly is the biggest asshole here? Criminal Crusaders for a wanted product aka Robin Hood or the greedy rich executives that don't give a shit about their customers aka Martin Shkreli.
    While everyone is focusing on what they feel entitled to take for their own because that really is what humans are best at, you are not acknowledging that actions have consequences. What good is a society that abandons justice, law, and principles.

Let them make their own damn game from the ground up. If it's really that good then people will play it anyway.

For someone that has been screwed by the Repop devs out of $500 I see irony in your position.
    Funny you should bring up my loss of $500 since that's probably less than what it would take to run 1 of these servers for a year. I'm not promoting anything and I said it is illegal to do what they are doing, but the same could be said about P99, the EQ vanilla servers that were somehow magically approved by SOE / Daybreak Studios to progress with their product.

So, let me reiterate what my point is. Yes, Robin Hood is a bad person, shame on him. Oh wait, no one who ever watched Robin Hood movies thought of him as the villain, even though that's exactly what he was. No no no, we'll praise the people like Blizzard and Martin Shkreli who are in fact an even worse hazard to human rights. If it wasn't a big deal for SOE / DB to approve the P99 emu, why is Blizzard being a bunch of tools about Nost? I'll tell you why, cause they are greedy assholes. Hence my comment that people should boycott them but we all know how sheepish everyone is about standing up against such things.

So since Blizzard is committing the game equivalent of a human rights violation they should have no legal grounds to defend sole rights to their IP...

Yo Fonz, get back on the surfboard, we didn't get the right angle! ;)

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    cheyane said:
    The figures are about 30 thousand over 4 realms which means about 120 thousand in total if we are generous. Is that really a decent size community for Blizzard to bother with ? They would be better off trying to get the 100 million who quit WoW over the last 12 years.
    Also, most people playing is because its "free". So being generous with 120 thousand, the vast majority wouldn't play classic WoW if blizzard made it, because they wouldn't pay for it.
    That's funny because I would rather pay blizzard to play on official legacy servers. They just don't want my money.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/