Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this game really MMO? (No, it even says so on the game listing.)

defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
edited March 2017 in Mass Effect: Andromeda
as the title says, is this game really an MMO? shaw the videos, read some articles but still doesn't look like an MMO.
and if not why are is it here?
fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
Post edited by BillMurphy on

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    edited January 2017
    It isn't an mmo. It's a single player game with co-op multiplayer available. This site has been covering non mmo's for years.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    this site name continue to confusing new peoples
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    MMORPG.com

It's doesn't mean what you think it does. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer OR Roleplaying Games ;)
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Don't worry we are here to explain that the site had to diversify to pay the bills. I am sure the purist will rather the site just died but those of us who are practical applaud this site's flexibility and tenacity. We don't mind as this site provides me anyway a place to discuss both MMORPGs and other RPG games and I don't mind one bit that it is still called MMORPG.com and I can explain it to anyone new and confused.

I hope you understand that as time passes even newspapers have gone out of business because people don't buy them from newspaper stands as much any more and things evolve and if you do not adapt and change you go the way of the Dodo. 

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Forgrimm said:
    It's a single player game with co-op multiplayer available
    So it is an mmo. /jk (kinda)

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    edited March 2017
    kitarad said:
    Don't worry we are here to explain that the site had to diversify to pay the bills. I am sure the purist will rather the site just died but those of us who are practical applaud this site's flexibility and tenacity. We don't mind as this site provides me anyway a place to discuss both MMORPGs and other RPG games and I don't mind one bit that it is still called MMORPG.com and I can explain it to anyone new and confused.

I hope you understand that as time passes even newspapers have gone out of business because people don't buy them from newspaper stands as much any more and things evolve and if you do not adapt and change you go the way of the Dodo. 
    So basically they "sold out" like MTV did, that's what adapt means eh?

Check. ;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    Although it's not an mmo it has this mmo similarity, as in it has completely sucked me in and am not playing anything else atm. I'm very much into eso but all i've done since ME:A hit my drive is log in to train my horses, was also playing some bdo on the side, which i haven't logged into since.
    It does have an mmo vibe to it at times, be warned though, it's very addictive.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    i dont like how it makes the list of most popular game for the week or whatever.  that should be reserved for actual MMOs.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • TarbloodTarblood Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Time007, I've decided to make a post with negative and backhanded comments directed towards you. I've decided to post a reply with how I feel about you. I like your avatar.

RAWR

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

So basically they "sold out" like MTV did, that's what adapt means eh?

Check. ;)
    The founder of this site sold out long ago. You know that, and I know that. No doubt, that person isn't even invloved with the site anymore.

Anyways, who cares. If people don't want to read about the rpgs, then don't. You see it as selling out, I see it as expanding their business. Because... enlightened people don't expect others to work for free.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited March 2017
    Co-op is a type of multi-player experience.  So not in the traditional meaning but yes.  The cap just has a four player limit.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    *sighs and pulls out the tattered sign, climbs up on the creaky soapbox* 

We have been covering RPGs as well as MMOs for a number of years due to the huge crossover between the audiences.

*steps down carefully, refolds the sign and stashes it for the next time it's needed then mumbles* I need to repaint this thing.....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    The site is called mmorpg.com partially because that's shorter than mmorpgsandothergames.com.
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552
    I am so tired of seeing this question pop up on this website when they constantly say they also cover RPGs. I am sorry, but from a pure business standpoint, why wouldn't they cover a new popular RPG that definitely will be trending with the crowds that they already have read their articles? This is a tired question where so many MMO veterans and elite minded people keep asking to try and keep regular RPGs from their news feeds. Why? I have no idea.
  • SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552
    @OG_Zorvan salt for the sake of it? Your care factor sure is set extremely high for something that literally has no impact on you. Why wouldn't they attempt to branch out if they see the opportunity? MMOs obviously aren't their only passion in writing, and being able to write more freely without articles like these popping up must be a breath of fresh air.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Blame the companies that make MMOs not this site, if MMOs didn't suck so bad they wouldn't have to focus so much on single player games.
    SBFord said:

We have been covering RPGs as well as MMOs for a number of years due to the huge crossover between the audiences.

*steps down carefully, refolds the sign and stashes it for the next time it's needed then mumbles* I need to repaint this thing.....
    Yeah, just like PCGamer now covers console games.... oh wait, they don't.

Or Runner's World covers road cycling because of the huge cross over between audiences...oh wait, they don't.

Wait, surely Cycle world covers automobiles, as almost everyone who owns one likely drives a car as well...,  oh wait, they don't......

Weird.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2017
    Kyleran said:
    SBFord said:

Yeah, just like PCGamer now covers console games.... oh wait, they don't.

Or Runner's World covers road cycling because of the huge cross over between audiences...oh wait, they don't.

Wait, surely Cycle world covers automobiles, as almost everyone who owns one likely drives a car as well...,  oh wait, they don't......

Weird.

Given your 24k posts and "orange" status, I'm sure that the coverage of other game types is no surprise to you -- heck it obviously keeps you coming back or those two "achievements" of yours I mentioned earlier wouldn't be there, eh? ;) 

As we stated when Game Space was announced, our coverage of less MMO-like games will be reduced, though we will still cover major RPGs and games with ties to MMOs like Elder Scrolls Legends, for instance, or Hearthstone.

Don't like it? Well, as @BillMurphy always says, "Don't let the door hit you..."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Is the bean burrito from Taco Bell a taco? And if not, why is it on their menu?  O.o
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This "issue" reminds me of The Song that Never Ends... my friend :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    MMORPG.com - it doesn't do exactly what it days on the tin.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Closing this thread because it's been answered, it's the weekend, and you all should be playing games. 

As Suzie said, non MMO coverage is going away steadily as we move that over to GameSpace. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

This discussion has been closed.