Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why I play ESO? and why do you?

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    In all seriousness.

I've been a fan of the Elder Scrolls games since I played the very first one, Arena, 23 years ago.

I like that they created a high fantasy universe separate and distinct form Tolkien lore and that they did it well with respect for the subject matter instead of going for cheap laughs as the many games that self-consciously poke fun at fantasy fiction do: it's a very robust universe that an adult fantasy fan can enjoy.

For ESO, they added what I've always considered the best type of PvP that MMORPGs can have: group and objective based persistent PVP in its own zone separate from the PvE. MMORPGs are not really suited to small team esport-like PVP because they are not about even PVP playing fields: progression and gear matter as they should, and that inherently imbalances 1v1 combat except by accident, occasionally. This type of PvP is all about group strategy and tactics and really shines at simulating medievalish combat. I like this here, liked that part of GW2, Warhammer Online and Dark Age of Camelot and I'll like it again in Camelot Unchained.

They also created an excellent hybrid class/open system that has a lot of room in it for creative viable builds ("end game" meta notwithstanding.) I had no idea going into this that a sorcerer wearing medium armor and using 2 daggers + a bow would be my favorite build, but it is.

Game play wise, it just hits a lot of the right spots for me.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    Many reasons, but I'll list a few:

Huge world to explore
    Very good sandbox-ish character development
    Character customization (vanity)
    Cyrodil
    Housing!!!

And to those below:

Were the eight words in the title too difficult for you to understand? If you're confused between the words "do" and "don't" then...less gaming...more dictionary.
    shenfrey said:
    Mate tried to get me into this on PS4, got to max level. Seems like a cool game but I couldn't handle...blah blah blah...
    Selzyr said:
    Question to some of us should be, "why you DON'T play ESO."
    Don't take me wrong, blah blah blah...

ESO needs to improve for me in some aspects for me to return to it.
    kjempff said:
    I never could get into that game, blah blah blah...
    Phry said:
    Have tried getting into the game a few times, but the severely limited classes blah blah blah...

Ah so this is really just an echo chamber and dissenting opinions are not allowed, duly noted.
    He didn't ask you why you don't play, genius. Go start your own thread.
    hadn't realised i had invaded your 'safe space' sorry for triggering.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited February 2017
    Iselin said:
    In all seriousness.

I've been a fan of the Elder Scrolls games since I played the very first one, Arena, 23 years ago.

I like that they created a high fantasy universe separate and distinct form Tolkien lore and that they did it well with respect for the subject matter instead of going for cheap laughs as the many games that self-consciously poke fun at fantasy fiction do: it's a very robust universe that an adult fantasy fan can enjoy.

For ESO, they added what I've always considered the best type of PvP that MMORPGs can have: group and objective based persistent PVP in its own zone separate from the PvE. MMORPGs are not really suited to small team esport-like PVP because they are not about even PVP playing fields: progression and gear matter as they should, and that inherently imbalances 1v1 combat except by accident, occasionally. This type of PvP is all about group strategy and tactics and really shines at simulating medievalish combat. I like this here, liked that part of GW2, Warhammer Online and Dark Age of Camelot and I'll like it again in Camelot Unchained.

They also created an excellent hybrid class/open system that has a lot of room in it for creative viable builds ("end game" meta notwithstanding.) I had no idea going into this that a sorcerer wearing medium armor and using 2 daggers + a bow would be my favorite build, but it is.

But will you get over the DLC/Expansion conundrum?

You know you want to. Come over to the dark side... :p

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    In all seriousness.

But will you get over the DLC/Expansion conundrum?

You know you want to. Come over to the dark side... :p
    I canceled my sub and sent them feedback telling them why. Yes, I have joined the F2P ESO player dark side :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited February 2017
    I play ESO because:

1 - Zenimax Online have crafted a world with an incredible amount of depth and attention to detail. Exploring the world, you come across locations that are just there, and tell a story without a word of dialogue. There's no quest line associated with them, no task to be completed. They're just signs of life, and civilization, left behind by others you may or may not ever meet. The world doesn't exist for you. It exists despite you, and would go on whether you existed or not. 

2 - Well written and voice-acted storylines that can evoke a range of emotions unlike I've seen in a MMO in a very long time. Encounters and story arcs have left me laughing, or sad, or pissed off.

I hit a point in the main story arc earlier today that I *hate* because it requires me to make a choice I *don't* want to have to make - those who've finished the original story arc probably know exactly what part I'm talking about - though I won't spoil it for anyone else. I actually sat here saying "No. No way. I hate this". 

You also see the consequences of your actions. I made a choice in another side-quest that left me feeling sad when I saw the results of it some time later, knowing that outcome was the direct result of my actions... and I could have chosen differently.

Few single-player/offline RPGs, much less MMORPGs have ever drawn me in to the point where I've actually given a crap about what was going on, or felt anything for the characters. But holy cow has ESO done it, and on a number of occasions before.

3 - Internally Consistent - All dialogue, jokes, metaphors and such are grounded in Tamriel/Nirn. No, lazy, corny real-life cultural references, like "Haris Pilton" from WoW, or "Leviabeetus" from FFXIV. ESO's writers do an awesome job. Characters say more in 3 or 4 lines of dialogue than most characters in FFXIV do in several long-winded paragraphs.

When I play a fantasy game I want to be drawn into it, like I would a good book or movie. The care and consistency applied to ESO, in its world design, its writing and so on makes it very easy to suspend disbelief and "live" in Tamriel for a while.

4 - Fantastic character customization and development. The number of skill lines available, and how you can mix skills from them is almost overwhelming. Same goes for gear. Between being able to mix Light, Medium and Heavy pieces, combining pieces from different named sets for applicable set bonuses, the range of traits you can apply, the sigils you can use, and the ability to upgrade each piece... a player could get lost experimenting with different sets and combinations. 

5 - A great crafting system that provides players with a huge array of styles and types to choose from, allowing them to create the exact look they want. I think there's something like 41 motifs/styles you can learn and craft in currently. And each motif looks a bit different depending on the tier of material used.

6 - All in all, ESO is one of an extremely short list of modern titles I feel truly deserves to be called a MMORPG, and not just a MMO.

ESO taking the top spot in the "Best Overall MMO" category for last year, by such a large margin, was not a goof. Zenimax have really turned this title around since its launch. Is it perfect? No. Of course not. But overall, for my money, they are kicking ass. They get it. And I am enjoying every moment of it.
    Post edited by QuarterStack on
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I'm a dark elf and the game is well built.  I played Oblivion and Skyrim.  I like TESO because it reminds me of those places and puts me with the people who played those games.  So we can talk about where we've been and what we've done.  A lot of jokes.  A lot of back and forth banter going on in game and forums.  That is not to say there are trolls here and there but they don't have majority say like in other mmo's I've played.  Variety of things to do.  A little old school in that it takes a long time to level up in crafting and skills and money.  Takes me back to the way mmo's used to be before the speed induced younger generation got a hold of them.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited February 2017
    Is the addiction for some to this game really this bad? xD

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2017
    It's quite simple for me really, no other MMO IMO offers as much content at this quality. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Distopia said:
    It's quite simple for me really, no other MMO IMO offers as much content at this quality. 
    Agreed. 

This is is the first time in a very long time I'm not interested in checking out other MMOs. I don't even care. ESO is enough to keep me happy these days. 

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I beat the game last year and now playing something else.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited February 2017
    Finishing all the quests in game and then going achievement hunting. Wanted to do this on a Sorc but the shield timers are too short for me, so I started over with mDK.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    NorseGod said:
    Finishing all the quests in game and then going achievement hunting. Wanted to do this on a Sorc but the shield timers are too short for me, so I started over with mDK.
    They fixed the blinky shield sorcs?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Tiller said:

the addiction is HUGE... and EXACTLY like in that video!

Sz  :)
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    SaunZ said:
    Tiller said:

the addiction is HUGE... and EXACTLY like in that video!

Sz  :)
    It's all i ever crave to play.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    Distopia said:
    Agreed. 

This is is the first time in a very long time I'm not interested in checking out other MMOs. I don't even care. ESO is enough to keep me happy these days. 
    Yeah! I'm not alone, the hunt is over, i'm home!

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Phry said:
    Phry said:

Huge world to explore
    Cyrodil
    Housing!!!

And to those below:

Were the eight words in the title too difficult for you to understand? If you're confused between the words "do" and "don't" then...less gaming...more dictionary.
    shenfrey said:
    Mate tried to get me into this on PS4, got to max level. Seems like a cool game but I couldn't handle...blah blah blah...
    Selzyr said:

kjempff said:
    Phry said:
    Have tried getting into the game a few times, but the severely limited classes blah blah blah...

Ah so this is really just an echo chamber and dissenting opinions are not allowed, duly noted.

got love kids/trolls or just lacking insight people who think "i have a voice, so listen." an feel the need to post in topics that are generally positive an seeking similar opinions.

so chubby people start a topics am fat an proud are you? you post lose weight/ fat people are gross.

i only want  eat meat don't you agree? an you post am a vegetarian or to much meat is bad, eat more vegetables.

i like no pvp games which ones are the best? you post why? you scared you will get ganked, should learn to deal with it.

when you read the same crap over an over from ever new witty person who think he clever or who just like to speak his mind it get old.

it the main reason people say "don't agree? move along." you're not been forced to piss people off but you are an using the excuse "it my right to say what i want" as if it some divine thing an we must learn to respect it...

jimmywolf said:
    Phry said:
    Phry said:

Huge world to explore
    Cyrodil
    Housing!!!

And to those below:

shenfrey said:
    Selzyr said:

kjempff said:
    Phry said:

got love kids/trolls or just lacking insight people who think "i have a voice, so listen." an feel the need to post in topics that are generally positive an seeking similar opinions.

so chubby people start a topics am fat an proud are you? you post lose weight/ fat people are gross.

i only want  eat meat don't you agree? an you post am a vegetarian or to much meat is bad, eat more vegetables.

i like no pvp games which ones are the best? you post why? you scared you will get ganked, should learn to deal with it.

when you read the same crap over an over from ever new witty person who think he clever or who just like to speak his mind it get old.

it the main reason people say "don't agree? move along." you're not been forced to piss people off but you are an using the excuse "it my right to say what i want" as if it some divine thing an we must learn to respect it...

They usually have orange names, but every once in a while a purple slips through.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    1. Incredibly boring combat.
    I know its twitch based, but something just does not work ( for me , i know tastes differ )

2. One off most horrible world map designs.
    I really didnt know what bothered me so much until someone pointed it out in other post: They are simply reusing same models. For example 1 rock formation in area , all others are exactly same rock scaled rotated and duplicated. Same goes for everything.

1. Incredibly boring combat.
    I know its twitch based, but something just does not work ( for me , i know tastes differ )

2. One off most horrible world map designs.
    I really didnt know what bothered me so much until someone pointed it out in other post: They are simply reusing same models. For example 1 rock formation in area , all others are exactly same rock scaled rotated and duplicated. Same goes for everything.
    So boring combat and poor world map designs are why you play ESO? 

You've got really low standards.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Distopia said:
    Agreed. 

Sorry but EQ2 offers more content and just as good. 

Distopia said:
    Agreed. 

If it was, I'd still be playing it.

edited February 2017
    Distopia said:
    Agreed. 

One of EQ2's biggest problems is content overload. I know you're thinking how can that be a bad thing? As the saying goes, Too much of a good thing... Too much ice cream might actually be bad for you, even though it's a good thing.
    You can never really get into any content as you out level it instantly, unless you sub and slam the breaks on leveling xp, that may be OK for some but mmo's are about progression.
    ESO nailed it with Update 12 (The official launch of the game) as you can't out level, all content is always relative.
    It's a great space to be in, i'm not looking for another mmo, i don't care about whats coming, not pinning my hopes on whatever pos is coming, i just play and it's absolutely splendid.
    However if EQ2 were to pull a One Norrath, I'd give EQ2 a serious inspection. Imagine the content you'd have to pick and choose from, immediately I'd love to run through The Down Below and it be relevant past the first 3 mobs, for me it would be... "do you want my top ten or the whole list" of content I'd love to do situation.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited February 2017
    Distopia said:
    Agreed. 

All the "Zoning" in EQ2 was annoying; zoning into new maps with long loading screens, zones within zones, areas within zones within zones. It was stupid and painful. Not to mention the empty lower level zones and expansion maps was meh. I buy an expansion and within two weeks it was empty as people had rushed the content? There was no reason to go back again. Might as well play a single player game, at least those were designed to play solo, EQ2 was not. You needed other players to help in some areas and even though I was in my server's largest guild, higher level players hated helping lower levels and wouldn't do it most times. They also had a convoluted scaling system in the game that made playing with people outside your level not rewarding at all and difficult. Crafting was pointless really. EQ2 was painful and is not as fun as whats available these days, sorry.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Who the fuck cannot have fun playing this game!?

by TheBurningGinger
    pic not by me source link

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    I play ESO for the freedom.  Its the closest thing to an Online RPG sandbox that I think I will get.  For me, there isn't much I DON'T like about this game, but in particular I love the customization.  The ability to build my character the way I want is refreshing.  The world is beautiful and varied making it fun to actually explore which is rewarded with hidden quests and loot.  And so far I actually like the combat.  Not so action oriented like Dragons Nest or a FPS but enough that you have to aim and focus making it a bit more engaging. I also love the quests. While its not Pulitzer writing, its enough to veil the MMO mechanics to add to the immersion and tied to the lore.  Wow for example, has great lore but I find the quest writing horrible.

Now they just added housing. And Morrowind (built for the original game height map) in June ... I have no reason to play anything else.  I've found my home.