Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those of you who play, what do you use?

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
Is this game best with a keyboard/mouse, controller, flight stick?  What do you use, specifically?  If you use a controller or flight stick which one do you use? 

The game looks pretty good and I have been thinking about picking it up in a few months when I have cleaned out a few other games. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    HOTAS Thrustmaster Joystick

Have fun
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    400 bucks is probably more than I want to spend. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

MMOman101 said:
    400 bucks is probably more than I want to spend. 
    You can get basic useful HOTAS joysticks starting at around 80 dollar.

Cheap knockoffs might cost half of that.

Good ones cost several hundred bucks.

Have fun
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I use the X-55 HOTAS (now the x-56, I think).  While the throttle portion isn't, strictly speaking, completely necessary, the joystick itself makes the game SO much more enjoyable.  I haven't tried it with a controller, but I have tried it with mouse / kb, and even an x-box controller would be worlds better than nothing but a keyboard.

If you're looking to keep cost low while retaining some semblance of quality, look into the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS line.  You can find them for 50 bucks from various sources.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP3MX9529
    This, for example.  It even has twist yaw control, which I find very nice in ED for getting in and out of stations.  You might find that a more uncommon feature on some of the other lower priced sticks.

Oh, and I play it with my old Oculus DK2.  This game is seriously amazing in VR, even on old hardware like the DK2.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I use a variety of controllers. Dual T.16000m, T-Flight X, Steam Controller, DS4 controller, T.16000m + keyboard and so on. I keep meaning to get a Logitech G13 to go with a flightstick.

A lot of people swear by m+kb for best aiming and Flight Assist Off control, it needs a fair bit of modifying from the default settings but is meant to work really well.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited January 2017
    You mean you are less adept if you use a mouse and keyboard ? I don't have any of those things nor am I sure am able to use them well . I suck at controllers.

Since Star Citizen and the hype around it I have been checking out similar games and this one popped up in my radar.

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    kitarad said:
    You mean you are less adept if you use a mouse and keyboard ? I don't have any of those things nor am I sure am able to use them well . I suck at controllers.

Since Star Citizen and the hype around it I have been checking out similar games and this one popped up in my radar.
    For most, I would say that's true.  There are some that swear by their mouse / KB, though.  As said earlier, some say mouse aiming allows for the best accuracy.  It comes to personal preference really.  I use my HOTAS and Rift for immersion.  It just feels more natural.  If you're using a keyboard you can take care of pitch, roll, and firing with the mouse, but yaw, thrusters, throttle, menu navigation, map navigation, cargo scoop, landing gear deployment . . . you get the idea . . . all has to be bound to a key.  I find it gets very confusing.  With the right joystick setup, though, it just feels better for me.  My avatar sitting in his pilot chair even mirrors with his controls what I do with mine.  To open a menu, I just turn my head and look at it.  Going back to a KB/Mouse would just frustrate me in this game.

I have a question though.  How does the HOTAS work with horizons?  Do you switch controllers when you play Horizons?  Is Horizons just not worth playing?  

--John Ruskin

Horizon is fun, exploring surface bases is nice ... but not for long. Content is somewhat limited, but they increase variety from patch to patch.  Jumping canyons together with other players is fun !   I use the HOTAS also for Horizons.

Have fun
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited April 2017
    Thrustmaster T16000m dual stick or use the t16000m stick and thruster.

Now this is the REAL best cheap stick.   This is the stick someone should get for the first time to get a real idea of what an accurate stick is like.

If you like it, get hooked and you can/want to spend more $$$ then you go look at  higher end stick like the thrustmaster warthog or VKB stuff.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• NaryathNaryath Member UncommonPosts: 26
    SAITEK X52. will never change.
    edited April 2017
    Naryath said:
    SAITEK X52. will never change.
    Total garbage and only good if you like blinky lights, hell you have to mod it to get it at an acceptable accuracy not a wonder saitek went belly up and bought out by logitech.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Necroed a bit, I ended up getting a small mechanical keyboard to sit between the Ch Products Throttle and Stick. I really like it and it has helped my combat flying in game a lot. I recommend it.

--John Ruskin

edited April 2017
    Ah yes your CH sticks should still be kicking in 15 years, they're ugly but built to last!

I mean there are version of these stick that use gameport that still work 100% fine that people are finding ways to convert to usb...lol